Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Gene: What Happened?

Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:56 pm

matilda wrote:
zolderopruiming1 wrote:All the stories about Elvis' private life comes mainly from people who were out of grace from Elvis so the stories sound more like taking revenge than holding the truth.
Some of the former MM badmouth everybody around Elvis that is not in "their" clique. But they were nmo saints and certainly not good for Elvis. When Elvis wanted to learn more about the esoteric world, the people around Elvis were quick to make sure Larry Geller was falling in disgrace because the people around Elvis were only interested in sh*gging young girls hanging around Graceland and other homes. If Elvis would grow spiritually, they would lose their only chance to meet young girls. I mean, did any woman ever look at these guys and think they were good looking? :smt003

some were good lookin.maybe not as good as Elvis but still all not exactly ugly.
how about you?

I'm butt ugly :smt003

Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:10 am

rjm wrote:I refer to Elvis' cousin Gene Smith, who was close to Elvis for years and years, growing up, and in the business. Then he seemed to disappear in the early '60s. He is not Junior; he did not die suddenly at the time. He was just . . . gone. Out of the group, completely.

His name came up in another thread (well, I thought of him), and I still don't know how or why they parted in the early 60s. There is a book, which I must admit I looked at in a B&N, but did not buy, and thus did not read. That's happened with about a half-dozen of them that I regret not getting now. I'm not sure that it solved the issue in any case, because I've never seen it described anywhere. The parting.

Anyway, there was mention of him in another thread where a young lady who dated Elvis described an angry parting with a "friend," and a knowledgeable member speculated that it might be Gene Smith. Very ferocious fight, where Elvis threw the guy out, and told him to never come back. That he had "misrepresented" Elvis, and harmed his "reputation." Along those lines.

There are hints all over, but I haven't seen anything solid, and I'm assuming it's not in that book, since it was authorized by family. And it hasn't come out anywhere else. MMs have indicated that his IQ didn't seem that impressive, and in "Word for Word" by Osborne, there's that long '62 interview with Lloyd Shearer, stitched together from a couple different tapes, and then transcribed. At one point, the tape breaks off when Elvis has to leave briefly for a rest stop. When it starts up again, Elvis is livid at Gene: "you TOLD!" Doesn't indicated what he "told." And Elvis said something to the effect that he'd have "half the South on my a**" because of what Gene "told," but there really is no indication of what that could be. None at all. Shearer had asked an odd question about the United Nations, but Osborne said it was unrelated. Shearer certainly revealed nothing.

In another instance, it is clearly Gene who Johnny Rivers called a raw name after he was ranting on and on about the Freedom Riders. Elvis had to get in between them basically, and quiet Gene down, and smile at Johnny. (And we know what Elvis' grin looked like: that lopsided grin that spoke its own language.)

With all this, I suppose one wonders why he was there so long, but still, he was, and he was his cousin. They were close growing up: there are pictures. So, there he was. And then, there he wasn't.

Others usually came back, but I don't think he ever did.

Does anyone know quite what happened? Was it a slow parting, or a sudden explosion? Is this anywhere? We know his brother Junior died after emotional problems incurred after the Korean War. But what about Gene? What happened?

rjm

Interesting topic, and a subject that has crossed my mind as well. Smith was as close as anyone to Elvis, from preadolescence to adulthood. In either a Marty Lacker or Red West memory there is a mention of a cousin who was found to have stolen items from Elvis, and banished from the group. Could that have been Gene? He is heard on a 1961 Nashville session tape being called out by name by Presley when he walks into the studio while tape is rolling. Perhaps a series of events, culminating in the theft, was what happened.

One insider book I've never read is the one Gene wrote. Maybe it's time to get a copy!

940000_Elvis' Man Friday_Smith.jpg
Gene Smith, Elvis' Man Friday (Nashville: Light Of Day Publishing, 1994)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:15 am

elvisbot wrote:An expensive piece of Elvis' jewelry was misplaced by a member of the MM. Elvis wanted to blame someone so he picked on Gene. Gene thought it was unfair that he was being falsely accused of stealing from his own flesh and blood. Gene also hated the fact that his cousin picked the MMs side in almost every argument and not side with his own relatives (Elvis could be stubborn that way). Gene and Elvis parted ways. When Elvis found out the jewelry was misplaced and NOT stolen, Elvis tried to man up and repair his friendship/relationship with Gene. Gene was deeply hurt and thought Elvis was on some kind of power trip so he severed ties with Elvis over the years.

Never heard this before. It doesn't sound like Elvis. Can you tell us where this tale comes from?

Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:19 am

It's in RMM that Gene left over a "Misunderstanding involving some jewellery" Marty Lacker said that Gene came around a few times after that but it was always to ask for something and that hurt Elvis' feelings.

Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:04 am

I discovered a Facebook page by his wife, but if it's really her, how would one even touch such sensitive matters? I can't even imagine.

Perhaps Priscilla knows the whole story, but she wouldn't want to touch it either. And she's not very approachable.

He definitely needed a wider, more open circle of close friends. You can feel the sense of insulation in these memories. You can feel the hurts, the rivalries. And how intense it all was. Too intense.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:08 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisbot wrote:An expensive piece of Elvis' jewelry was misplaced by a member of the MM. Elvis wanted to blame someone so he picked on Gene. Gene thought it was unfair that he was being falsely accused of stealing from his own flesh and blood. Gene also hated the fact that his cousin picked the MMs side in almost every argument and not side with his own relatives (Elvis could be stubborn that way). Gene and Elvis parted ways. When Elvis found out the jewelry was misplaced and NOT stolen, Elvis tried to man up and repair his friendship/relationship with Gene. Gene was deeply hurt and thought Elvis was on some kind of power trip so he severed ties with Elvis over the years.

Never heard this before. It doesn't sound like Elvis. Can you tell us where this tale comes from?

Well, to me it sounds like Elvis. Billy Smith was fed up about how Elvis divided the group; like Elvis and Priscilla at the top, then Joe and his girlfriend..etc.
Last edited by Xaykev on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:33 am

Am I really the only one here who has read Gene's book?

Gene's memoir is not essential, but for those devoted fans that strive to gain "deep historical knowledge" it offers a few interesting anecdotes, like Elvis' fake suicide during the filming of Love Me Tender (plus other pranks), Elvis 23 birthday and some childhood memories etc. The problem is that Gene reveals Elvis' inner life very, very little. There is a strange distance to his subject and it seems that he honors his cousin by sparing the personal side - or could it be something else? Maybe I should read the book again.

In the book Gene's journey with Elvis ends with his overdose in Elvis' bus. After that he chooses a normal life with his family. He doesn't say anything about any stolen jewelry, but he claims that Elvis tried to get him back and sent him money every Christmas. For Gene things changed after Elvis came back from the army and it is clear that he was disgusted with the new members of the gang. For some reason he seems to be fond of Priscilla and emphazises how much in love Elvis was with her - he hardly mentiones the love affairs and the other women that Elvis was dating at the time. It is not a tell-all book.

Man Friday or not, I would not take this book with me to deserted island, but I'm happy to have it. It is a rare book these days.

Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:47 pm

Albert Goldman wrote:Am I really the only one here who has read Gene's book?

Gene's memoir is not essential, but for those devoted fans that strive to gain "deep historical knowledge" it offers a few interesting anecdotes, like Elvis' fake suicide during the filming of Love Me Tender (plus other pranks), Elvis 23 birthday and some childhood memories etc. The problem is that Gene reveals Elvis' inner life very, very little. There is a strange distance to his subject and it seems that he honors his cousin by sparing the personal side - or could it be something else? Maybe I should read the book again.

In the book Gene's journey with Elvis ends with his overdose in Elvis' bus. After that he chooses a normal life with his family. He doesn't say anything about any stolen jewelry, but he claims that Elvis tried to get him back and sent him money every Christmas. For Gene things changed after Elvis came back from the army and it is clear that he was disgusted with the new members of the gang. For some reason he seems to be fond of Priscilla and emphazises how much in love Elvis was with her - he hardly mentiones the love affairs and the other women that Elvis was dating at the time. It is not a tell-all book.

Man Friday or not, I would not take this book with me to deserted island, but I'm happy to have it. It is a rare book these days.

Does it go into any detail on the overdose, or as to why this incident caused such a separation?

Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:35 pm

No, I have it and read it.

Albert Goldman wrote:He doesn't say anything about any stolen jewelry, but he claims that Elvis tried to get him back and sent him money every Christmas. For Gene things changed after Elvis came back from the army and it is clear that he was disgusted with the new members of the gang.

Yes, and I see no reason not to believe him. He and Elvis were very close at one time and I would have expected he'd at least defend the 'jewelry' accusation whether it was true or not. I think for Gene things were just not the same once Elvis got back from the army.

Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:28 pm

promiseland wrote:

Does it go into any detail on the overdose, or as to why this incident caused such a separation?

Gene says that they had been awake for two or three days and he decided to pop a sleeping pill. The first one didn't work so he took another. He was tired and "kept 'watching old movies' of what I have done wrong, or how I had missed the boat entirely, and what have you." The second pill did the job, but - as Gene writes - his resistance was low after being awake so long and his pulse went down. As you know, they finally got him awake.

After this dramatic story the next chapter "Farewell to Graceland" begins by Gene telling us that he, his wife and their children moved out of Graceland in the spring of 1963. The reader must make his own conclusions: I think that the lifestyle was getting too hard for him and to his family to handle - at least this is what he is implying, in my opinion. However, Gene confesses that there was a time when he missed life with Elvis so much that he hit the bottle very hard, so it was obviously a hard decision to part ways with Elvis.

Gene saw Elvis for the last time in August 1977 and he claims that Elvis envied his life. Maybe.

There are also times when the reader misses more detailed accounts of some events and that Gene would be more open to explain what really went down.

Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:32 pm

Thanks for that Albert that was very interesting!

Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:34 pm

Julian Grant wrote:

No, I have it and read it.

Albert Goldman wrote:He doesn't say anything about any stolen jewelry, but he claims that Elvis tried to get him back and sent him money every Christmas. For Gene things changed after Elvis came back from the army and it is clear that he was disgusted with the new members of the gang.

Yes, and I see no reason not to believe him. He and Elvis were very close at one time and I would have expected he'd at least defend the 'jewelry' accusation whether it was true or not. I think for Gene things were just not the same once Elvis got back from the army.

I agree. On the other hand, if these accusations were published for the first time in RMM, Gene was unaware of them at the time of writing his book.

Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:41 pm

promiseland wrote:Thanks for that Albert that was very interesting!

Great! Also, we have to remember that Carroll Junior Smith died in the early 1960s because of pills and that was a hard blow to Gene - and Elvis.

And I forgot to mention that there are a couple of interesting photos in that book too. For example, a picture of Elvis at his mothers grave in 1960. (Probably published elsewhere after that)

Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:16 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

It isn't a tale.
This info came directly from the source because when it comes to Elvis, i don't believe hardly anything that anyone says unless the person saying it ...is the one involved.
Nuff said.

Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:16 pm

elvisbot wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

It isn't a tale.
This info came directly from the source because when it comes to Elvis, i don't believe hardly anything that anyone says unless the person saying it ...is the one involved.
Nuff said.

"From the source"? You have posted misinformation many times before, so this tells me all I need to know.

Thanks for the fairy tale. ;-)

Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:09 pm

As already stated the last story he tells about working for Elvis was the pill story, the next chapter starts with Gene saying that in the Spring of 63' he moved his family out of Graceland and started looking for a job. This seems like it was a sudden departure and not something that was pre-planned. He doesn't go into details about his reason's for leaving so to me this points to the story of the missing jewellery being true, but I wasn't there so who knows.
I've never heard the story about the jewellery being found, surely if this was the case Gene would have mentioned it? Like Marty Lacker said, Gene made a big mistake because Elvis would have done anything for him.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:58 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisbot wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

It isn't a tale.
Nuff said.

"From the source"? You have posted misinformation many times before, so this tells me all I need to know.

Fairy tale? NOT ! ! !
Gene Smith related this story to me himself back in Memphis 1987 and either he was lying or telling the truth. i asked him why he didn't work for Elvis. He told me the story i related here. Was Gene lying or simply embellishing the truth?
:smt005

Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:42 pm

elvisbot wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisbot wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

It isn't a tale.
Nuff said.

Fairy tale? NOT ! ! !
Gene Smith related this story to me himself back in Memphis 1987 and either he was lying or telling the truth. i asked him why he didn't work for Elvis. He told me the story i related here. Was Gene lying or simply embellishing the truth?
:smt005

Interesting. If this is true - and I have no cause to doubt you, I guess - it is also interesting that Gene chooses not to even discuss this incident in his book. As I already wrote, it is obvious that he did not respect most members of MM, but he doesn't name those individuals either. He is implying things but he doesn't say things loud and clear.