Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

June 26

Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:27 pm

Today in 1909 Dries van Kuijk was born. he later became famous as Colonel Tom Parker, manager of Elvis Presley.
Today in 1977 Elvis gave his last ever live performance.
Today in 1979 Vernon Presley passed away, only 63 years old.

Re: June 26

Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:32 pm

Today in 1977, I was at a Reds / Dodgers Sunday afternoon doubleheader in Cincinnati.

The teams split the two games.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:35 pm

phpBB [video]

Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:54 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
phpBB [video]

It's hard to believe this version was recorded only 7 years earlier by the same performer...

phpBB [video]

Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:31 pm

On June 26th 1977 I was 17 days away from my 16th birthday,and on my 16th birthday while my Mother and big brother were the only ones present as I was blowing out the candles on my birthday cake,my loving big brother who is 2 years older then me started up a huge fight with me for absolutely no reason at all.My mother and I were shocked and pissed at him for doing this at that very moment,the next thing I knew I got up and got right in his face and started giving it right back,saying why are you doing this to me on my 16th birthday.

Then all of a sudden we started throwing punches like crazy at each other,my poor mom was crying and screaming for us to stop or she was going to call the police,she called my dad insted,we wrestled each other down to the floor, and he was on top of me trying to hold me down,ill never forget the look on his face when i over powered him and got him of of me,at that point i grabbed a wooden stool and smashed it over his back,he went crumbling down to the floor and stayed there moaning.

I walked out of the house and went for a long walk wondering why my loving big brother would start this insane fight with me on my 16th birthday.Of course he does not even remember this day for some reason,I cant imagine why,because this was something you just don't forget.....

Ahhh good times,good times,to finally beat the crap out of my loving big brother who spent our childhood years constantly bulling me.Well every dog has his day,and that was mine for my loving big brother.

PS he is even a bigger jerk today,and we have not spoken in a year because I just cant stand what a complete jerk he still is,only much much worse,prick. :D

Don't know why i told you all this story,but its what I mostly remember from that time frame.I think its funny as heck now. :smt003
Last edited by SUN-RCA on Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:36 pm

very thoughtful thread thank you

Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:39 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:Today in 1909 Dries van Kuijk was born. he later became famous as Colonel Tom Parker, manager of Elvis Presley.

Elvis also spent his first night in Graceland on June 26, 1957.

Some irony how on that very same day 20 years later he would for the last time do the very thing (performing) that for the most part enabled him to buy the house in the first place.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:03 pm

intheghetto wrote:
zolderopruiming1 wrote:Today in 1909 Dries van Kuijk was born. he later became famous as Colonel Tom Parker, manager of Elvis Presley.

Some irony how on that very same day 20 years later he would for the last time do the very thing (performing) that for the most part enabled him to buy the house in the first place.

The most important June 26 seems to have been overlooked.

Saturday, June 26, 1954
Sun Records producer Sam Phillips asks assistant Marion Keisker call Elvis Presley to come by 706 Union to see if the 19 year-old would be interested in recording a reasonable version of a demo Phillips got from Peer Music in Nashville.

The song is called "Without You."

"I was there by the time she hung up the phone," recalls Elvis.

---

The demo, acquired by Phillips in May 1954, was made by someone that neither Sam nor Marion could track down. Thus, the inspiration -- thanks Marion! -- to finally call Presley. About a week later, on Sunday, July 4, Elvis met Scotty Moore, jammed some tunes that afternoon with Moore and his friend Bill Black, and the trio cut what would become the A-side of Sun 209 the very next evening. Nothing would ever be the same after that.

Sadly, the full demo of "Without You" has never been issued, although a small segment was aired on the 1987 BBC-TV documentary I Don't Sing Like Nobody. It pops up on the internet from time to time.

Like --> HERE.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:30 pm

Thanks for posting. I thought for a minute this was going to be Elvis' attempt on Without You but, as you clearly state, it is the demo Elvis was trying to do a version of.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:06 am

thats not elvis singing?? :shock: i thought it was

Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:01 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
intheghetto wrote:

Saturday, June 26, 1954
Sun Records producer Sam Phillips asks assistant Marion Keisker call Elvis Presley to come by 706 Union to see if the 19 year-old would be interested in recording a reasonable version of a demo Phillips got from Peer Music in Nashville.

---

The demo, acquired by Phillips in May 1954, was made by someone that neither Sam nor Marion could track down. Thus, the inspiration -- thanks Marion! -- to finally call Presley. About a week later, on Sunday, July 4, Elvis met Scotty Moore, jammed some tunes that afternoon with Moore and his friend Bill Black, and the trio cut what would become the A-side of Sun 209 the very next evening. Nothing would ever be the same after that.

Sadly, the full demo of "Without You" has never been issued, although a small segment was aired on the 1987 BBC-TV documentary I Don't Sing Like Nobody. It pops up on the internet from time to time.

Like --> HERE.

Thanks a lot for uploading Doc, I was looking for it for quite some time.

Hard to say if it suited Elvis' voice back then. Most likely not. Though the song may be nothing special, the segment reminded me of the Ink Spots. So it wasn't an all too bad choice.

How I wish the tapes would have been rolling on that June 26, 1954. And that tape would surface one day. If I can dream...

Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:12 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Saturday, June 26, 1954

---

Like --> HERE.

Spits orange juice from mouth in shock and amazement. I had no idea this demo had been found, never mind released in any form. You can put June 26th 2013 down as the date Doc made my day with this fantastic revelation. :D And June 27th as the day I had to clean orange juice off my monitor... Another satisfied patient here Doc, many thanks.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:20 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:Thanks a lot for uploading Doc, I was looking for it for quite some time.

Hard to say if it suited Elvis' voice back then. Most likely not. Though the song may be nothing special, the segment reminded me of the Ink Spots. So it wasn't an all too bad choice.

How I wish the tapes would have been rolling on that June 26, 1954. And that tape would surface one day. If I can dream...

It's pretty likely Sam rolled tape that Saturday afternoon, but the odds are not good it survived.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:27 am

elmonstro wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Saturday, June 26, 1954

---

Like --> HERE.

Spits orange juice from mouth in shock and amazement. I had no idea this demo had been found, never mind released in any form. You can put June 26th 2013 down as the date Doc made my day with this fantastic revelation. :D And June 27th as the day I had to clean orange juice off my monitor... Another satisfied patient here Doc, many thanks.

I have a feeling you prematurely spit. The May 1954 Peer Music demo has been known since at least 1979, and a public airing in Memphis.

But the Presley effort, if it exists, is unheard to this day.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:19 am

June 26, 1976. Elvisjock attends matinee and evening shows at Providence Civic Center.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:25 am

Where can u watch the Indy 77 show online not on you tube was it taken down?

Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:39 pm

ritchie valens wrote:Where can u watch the Indy 77 show online not on you tube was it taken down?

Apparently there's a high-quality copy in the Supreme Court's audio-visual room.