Re: One Night - '68 Comeback Special versions

Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:14 am

ekenee wrote:
promiseland wrote:
ekenee wrote:
promiseland wrote:
ekenee wrote:
promiseland wrote:
ekenee wrote:A couple of observations about "One night" at the Tv show tapings.

"Somebody pulled the plug" not Elvis.

And it seemed to turn into some kind of show schtick because it happened 3 times IIRC and during the same song. Not a coincidence.

And the expression on Elvis' face after the second or third time, gives it away. He knew it was coming.

I think it was planned after the first one.

Where is this "3 time" unplug during One Night? Do you have a tape we have not seen?

Tape? No. The 3 DVD set, yes.

But please note I was going by memory and I did write second or third time, so give me the benefit of the doubt. And also note, I was referring to the song, not a single performance.

Either way, I am still convinced it wasn’t by accident the second time. I went back to the “tapes” to review.

One night is performed 3 times during the sit-down shows and of those 3, 2 are actually stand up performances.

When Elvis accidently causes the cord to come out, he’s says, “somebody pulled the plug”.

So, at the next show during the same song, I think they tried to re-create the bit, more than likely for
possible editing purposes.

He once again brings up the fact there is “no strap”.
I think the lady fan to Elvis’ right pulled the plug out.
And he once again says, “somebody pulled the plug”.
And if you look at the expression on his face, he gives it away.

All too coincidental.

Go back and check it out.

IIRC that only happened once.

That settles it, I have tapes you don't have.

Cool how about you posting the video to show us where Elvis' guitar gets unplugged more than one time within all the "One Night" songs during the entire 1968 NBC video tapings, we would love to see it!

This is an odd response.

Do you have the 3 disc dvd set of the 68 special?

Please answer that before we continue.

Yes and nowhere can I find his guitar getting the plug pulled more than once during One Night, so what is your point?

Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:21 am

promiseland wrote:
ekenee wrote:
promiseland wrote:
ekenee wrote:
promiseland wrote:
ekenee wrote:
promiseland wrote:

And it seemed to turn into some kind of show schtick because it happened 3 times IIRC and during the same song. Not a coincidence.

And the expression on Elvis' face after the second or third time, gives it away. He knew it was coming.

Where is this "3 time" unplug during One Night? Do you have a tape we have not seen?

But please note I was going by memory and I did write second or third time, so give me the benefit of the doubt. And also note, I was referring to the song, not a single performance.

Either way, I am still convinced it wasn’t by accident the second time. I went back to the “tapes” to review.

One night is performed 3 times during the sit-down shows and of those 3, 2 are actually stand up performances.

When Elvis accidently causes the cord to come out, he’s says, “somebody pulled the plug”.

So, at the next show during the same song, I think they tried to re-create the bit, more than likely for

All too coincidental.

Cool how about you posting the video to show us where Elvis' guitar gets unplugged more than one time within all the "One Night" songs during the entire 1968 NBC video tapings, we would love to see it!

This is an odd response.

Yes and nowhere can I find his guitar getting the plug pulled more than once during One Night, so what is your point?

My point is this....why the attitude? You need to tone it down a notch. K.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:25 am

ekenee wrote:
promiseland wrote:
ekenee wrote:
promiseland wrote:
ekenee wrote:
promiseland wrote:
ekenee wrote:
promiseland wrote:

All too coincidental.

This is an odd response.

No you just need to get your facts straight as usual, before questioning something that has nothing to do with the facts.
Instead of asking what I own, you should have put in your DVD's and learned something first.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:07 am

promiseland wrote:
ekenee wrote:
promiseland wrote:
ekenee wrote:
promiseland wrote:
ekenee wrote:
promiseland wrote:
ekenee wrote:
promiseland wrote:

All too coincidental.

This is an odd response.

No you just need to get your facts straight as usual, before questioning something that has nothing to do with the facts.
Instead of asking what I own, you should have put in your DVD's and learned something first.

As usual? What does that mean? What are you talking about?

Seriously, I am at a loss as to exactly what is going on here?

We have had no bad history before, so please enlighten me of why you are giving me attitude.
Drinking maybe?
I have already outlined what is on the DVD's and tapes that "I" own.

So, not much else to say really except I am at a loss why the attitude when

you are totally missing my point and misunderstanding what I wrote.

Please, will somebody school this boy, I don't have the time?

And FYI there are various little bits and pieces and different angles that they didn't use
on the 3 disc set that I have on my 30+ year old video tapes.

Such as when Elvis took a puff from a cigar between takes 1011-1012.

This comes from my secret stash. Wanna see a still frame?

Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:48 pm

And again to Promiseland, I didn't bring this up elvisalisellers did so why not dispute with him/her?

I only brought up the notion that the second time was not accidental.

Here is that early quote from earlier in the thread.

drjohncarpenter wrote:
The final performance of "One Night" from the first small combo set on June 27, 1968, which runs just under three minutes, should be the one to use. It was the one chosen by director Steve Binder, it is on the original soundtrack LP, and the vocal is out of this world. It doesn't matter if Presley accidentally unplugs his guitar for a moment, this was a live gig, and it helps make the moment.
elvisalisellers wrote: That happened on the first version [and again during the 8pm performance] NOT on the soundtrack version.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:54 pm

In the meantime, any more suggestions for my compilation, besides "One Night" ?

Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:20 am

James27 wrote:In the meantime, any more suggestions for my compilation, besides "One Night" ?

Follow my original advice and you're good to go.

You may also want to review -- or simply copy -- this stunning, career-spanning, two-disc compilation:

drjohncarpenter wrote:By popular demand, below is an attempt to distill the best of our hero on two listenable discs, from the most up-to-date sources. There's only one area I was not able to include. Enjoy!

-----

AT YOUR REQUEST, VOLUME ONE
Musical highlights from Elvis Presley, in best-ever quality.

01. My Happiness 8.53 / take-home demo, SUN Studios, Memphis
02. That's All Right 7.54 / first single A-side, SUN Studios, Memphis
03. Blue Moon of Kentucky 7.54 / first single B-side, SUN Studios, Memphis
04. Good Rockin' Tonight 9.54 / single A-side, SUN Studios, Memphis
05. Baby, Let's Play House 2.55 / single A-side, SUN Studios, Memphis
06. Mystery Train 7.55 / single B-side, SUN Studios, Memphis
07. I Got A Woman 1.56 / first album, RCA Studios, Nashville
08. Heartbreak Hotel 1.56 / single A-side, RCA Studios, Nashville
09. Hound Dog 7.56 / single B-side, RCA Studios, New York
10. Don't Be Cruel 7.56 / single A-side, RCA Studios, New York
11. Love Me Tender 8.56 / single A-side, 20th Century Fox, Hollywood
12. Love Me 9.56 / second album, Radio Recorders, Los Angeles
13. All Shook Up 1.57 / single A-side, Radio Recorders, Los Angeles
14. I Beg Of You 1.57 / unissued, Radio Recorders, Los Angeles
15. Is It So Strange 1.57 / extended play, Radio Recorders, Los Angeles
16. One Night 2.57 / 1958 single A-side, Radio Recorders, Los Angeles
17. Loving You 2.57 / single A-side, Radio Recorders, Los Angeles
18. When It Rains, It Really Pours 2.57 / unissued, Radio Recorders, Los Angeles
19. Jailhouse Rock 4.57 / single A-side, Radio Recorders, Los Angeles
20. Young and Beautiful 4.57 / extended play, Radio Recorders, Los Angeles
21. Blue Christmas 9.57 / Christmas album, Radio Recorders, Los Angeles
22. Santa Claus Is Back In Town 9.57 / Christmas album, Radio Recorders, Los Angeles
23. Don't 9.57 / 1958 single A-side, Radio Recorders, Los Angeles
24. Crawfish 1.58 / "King Creole" album, Radio Recorders, Los Angeles
25. King Creole 1.58 / extended play, Radio Recorders, Los Angeles
26. A Big Hunk O' Love 6.58 / 1959 single A-side, unedited, RCA Studio B, Nashville
27. Ain't That Loving You, Baby 6.58 / unissued, RCA Studio B, Nashville
28. I Got Stung 6.58 / single B-side, RCA Studio B, Nashville
29. A Fool Such As I 6.58 / 1959 single A-side, RCA Studio B, Nashville
30. Fame and Fortune 3.60 / single B-side, RCA Studio B, Nashville
31. A Mess Of Blues 3.60 / single B-side, RCA Studio B, Nashville
32. It Feels So Right 3.60 / "Elvis Is Back!" album, RCA Studio B, Nashville

AT YOUR REQUEST, VOLUME TWO
Musical highlights from Elvis Presley, in best-ever quality.

01. Such A Night 4.60 / "Elvis Is Back!" album, RCA Studio B, Nashville
02. Reconsider Baby 4.60 / "Elvis Is Back!" album, RCA Studio B, Nashville
03. Surrender 10.60 / single A-side, RCA Studio B, Nashville
04. Crying In The Chapel 10.60 / 1965 single A-side, RCA Studio B, Nashville
05. Can't Help Falling In Love 3.61 / single A-side, Radio Recorders, Los Angeles
06. His Latest Flame 6.61 / single A-side, RCA Studio B, Nashville
07. Little Sister 6.61 / single B-side, RCA Studio B, Nashville
08. Suspicion 3.62 / "Pot Luck" album, RCA Studio B, Nashville
09. Return To Sender 3.62 / single A-side, Radio Recorders, Los Angeles
10. Memphis, Tennessee 1.64 / 1965 "Elvis For Everyone" album, RCA Studio B, Nashville
11. If I Loved You 66-67 / unissued home demo, Los Angeles
12. Trouble/Guitar Man 6.68 / "TV Special" album, Western Recorders, Los Angeles
13. Tiger Man 6.68 / album track, NBC-TV Studios, Burbank
14. If I Can Dream 6.68 / unissued TV version, NBC-TV Studios, Burbank
15. In The Ghetto 1.69 / single A-side, American Sound, Memphis
16. Suspicious Minds 1.69 / single A-side, American Sound, Memphis
17. Kentucky Rain 2.69 / 1970 single A-side, American Sound, Memphis
18. I Got A Woman 8.69 / unissued, International Hotel, Las Vegas
19. Polk Salad Annie 2.70 / "On Stage" album, International Hotel, Las Vegas
20. Walk A Mile In My Shoes 2.70 / "On Stage" album, International Hotel, Las Vegas
21. It's Your Baby, You Rock It 6.70 / "Elvis Country" album, RCA Studio B, Nashville
22. Merry Christmas Baby 5.71 / unedited single A-side, RCA Studio B, Nashville
23. Burning Love 3.72 / single A-side, RCA Studio C, Los Angeles
24. I've Got A Thing About You Baby 7.73 / 1974 single A-side, Stax Studios, Memphis
25. Promised Land 12.73 / 1974 single A-side, Stax Studios, Memphis

Elvis - At Your Request
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38553

Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:59 am

Judging by the few seconds we have of the improv version of "One Night" from the first stand-up show, it may well have trumpeted any of the 3-sit down performances.

It's that good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... l_o#t=188s

Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:11 am

elvisalisellers wrote:Judging by the few seconds we have of the improv version of "One Night" from the first stand-up show, it may well have trumpeted any of the 3-sit down performances.

It's that good!

phpBB [video]

It's great, but incomplete, and the backing arrangement does not allow it to match what Elvis did on his own two days earlier.

Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:41 am

You tracklist is great, Doc, for a career overview, but I was thinking of several lesser known gems and surprising alternate versions.. on 1 cd-r.

Just watched the opening of these stand-up shows again. I forgot that "One Night" was there. Man, there were some technical problems, weren't there? I admire the fact that Elvis, as nervous as he was, stays on top of things and never looses his head nor his cool. The band is not together, "Heartbreak Hotel" is off to a rocky start, later he has to help his guitar be taken off the stage etc. He had to be singer, dancer, comedian and roadie all at once. lol !There's no comparison to how meticulous things nowadays are planned and handled for big artists. Nothing's left to chance today when so much is involved. But here, there's a lot of spontaneity. Elvis was taking risks here, even if he could do it over again. His reputation was on the line. As a performer he was obviously raised in the tradition of the REAL performers that had to be ready for everything, having to be able to improvise when several things go wrong! Takes a lot of guts and self-confidence to stand there, almost naked in front of a live audience for the first time in 7 years, and remain in command the entire show..

Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:54 am

I still believe the 3rd version of "one night" in the sitdown shows was the best even with the plug pulled.

I am sure someone could carefully edit that part out and create the ultimate version.

Where did promiseland go?

Carefully going over his "tapes" with a fine tuned comb?

Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:56 pm

ekenee wrote:I still believe the 3rd version of "one night" in the sitdown shows was the best even with the plug pulled.

I am sure someone could carefully edit that part out and create the ultimate version.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77428#p1182529

Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:17 am

ekenee wrote:
promiseland wrote:
ekenee wrote:
promiseland wrote:
ekenee wrote:
promiseland wrote:
ekenee wrote:
promiseland wrote:

All too coincidental.

This is an odd response.

Don't feel bad. Him and Carpy are always rude to everyone and somehow they get away with it.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:37 am

Here is something a bit rare from my secret stash of VHS tapes.
This freeze frame is not good quality, but from footage that they did not include on the 3 disc set.
Elvis smoking!!! Oh geeze they couldn't let that out. Might destroy the image.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:53 am

I just watched it, and if it happened, it must have been awfully low-key! It's not something that jumps out at you after the first time. Did he perhaps reference it, without it actually happening? Odd, cause I watched the shows on the anniversary. They fed back some of the gags from the first show. But I'm not sure the plug actually came out again. I wasn't looking for it though, so I would like to see it, if indeed it did. There are multiple rips of the shows on YouTube.

rjm (Elvis smoked those little cheap cigars all the time. What is REALLY interesting happens on June 30, as they finish off the ROAD sequence. The dancers are on the road, on either side of the double yellow line. And Elvis has a brief conversation with the yellow-shirted dancer. He told Yellow Shirt that he got drunk the night before! "Scared me," Elvis says. "You won't drink again," says Yellow Shirt. "Naw. it scared me," says Mr. Clean. BUT, I think he was just bragging. It upset Steve in the booth, as he sent the female dancer the wrong way across the double yellow lines. And at that, the muscular dark-skinned dancer breaks up laughing: "don't anybody say 'got drunk!'" And laughter all around, as they pull themselves together, and finish it. It is NOT transcribed on the booklet. Turn up the sound!!! Heck, rip it to your collection for your friend! LOL!)

Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:42 am

ekenee wrote:Here is something a bit rare from my secret stash of VHS tapes.
This freeze frame is not good quality, but from footage that they did not include on the 3 disc set.
Elvis smoking!!! Oh geeze they couldn't let that out. Might destroy the image.

Take #1012 of "Trouble" from the Discotheque scene:

http://www22.zippyshare.com/v/55233641/file.html
Blink and you'll miss it.

Stupid censorship... :roll:

Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:51 am

rjm wrote:I just watched it, and if it happened, it must have been awfully low-key! It's not something that jumps out at you after the first time. Did he perhaps reference it, without it actually happening? Odd, cause I watched the shows on the anniversary. They fed back some of the gags from the first show. But I'm not sure the plug actually came out again. I wasn't looking for it though, so I would like to see it, if indeed it did. There are multiple rips of the shows on YouTube.

rjm (Elvis smoked those little cheap cigars all the time. What is REALLY interesting happens on June 30, as they finish off the ROAD sequence. The dancers are on the road, on either side of the double yellow line. And Elvis has a brief conversation with the yellow-shirted dancer. He told Yellow Shirt that he got drunk the night before! "Scared me," Elvis says. "You won't drink again," says Yellow Shirt. "Naw. it scared me," says Mr. Clean. BUT, I think he was just bragging. It upset Steve in the booth, as he sent the female dancer the wrong way across the double yellow lines. And at that, the muscular dark-skinned dancer breaks up laughing: "don't anybody say 'got drunk!'" And laughter all around, as they pull themselves together, and finish it. It is NOT transcribed on the booklet. Turn up the sound!!! Heck, rip it to your collection for your friend! LOL!)

On the DVD set, the camera's clearly show the plug coming out of the guitar at BOTH shows, during 'one night'.

Promiseland can confirm this because he says he has the 3-disc set...... yeah and pigs can fly across the sky.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:01 am

ekenee wrote:
rjm wrote:I just watched it, and if it happened, it must have been awfully low-key! It's not something that jumps out at you after the first time. Did he perhaps reference it, without it actually happening? Odd, cause I watched the shows on the anniversary. They fed back some of the gags from the first show. But I'm not sure the plug actually came out again. I wasn't looking for it though, so I would like to see it, if indeed it did. There are multiple rips of the shows on YouTube.

On the DVD set, the camera's clearly show the plug coming out of the guitar at BOTH shows, during 'one night'.

Promiseland can confirm this because he says he has the 3-disc set...... yeah and pigs can fly across the sky.

I'll watch it again, to be fair. But as to your second claim, well . . . Uh, oh.

phpBB [video]

rjm