Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

One Night - '68 Comeback Special versions

Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:24 pm

I'd like you guys' input on this. I'm preparing an Elvis compilation for a friend, somebody who doesn't know much about Elvis but digs "A Little Less Conversation", which I want to include in the original (better) version instead of the JXL remix that he is familiar with and fond of. No ballads, just 100% fun and carefree songs. So I was thinking of "Party", "Let Yourself Go", "You're The Boss", "Rip It Up", "I Got Stung", "You Can't Say No In Acapulco" (or "I Think I'm Gonna Like It Here"), "Girls Girls Girls", Come On Everybody, and so on.

I would like to avoid the obvious "big hits" like Hound Dog, Don't Be Cruel, to show a broader repertoire to him, his wife and mutual friends. I'm always campaigning for Elvis! :wink: They're always asking me to bring music to accompany our afternoons and evenings, it's like a relax around the pool environment, but I don't really have a single "perfect" Elvis party cd that I can just pop in and let play, hence the idea of compiling what I think would be unanimously liked by most. No heavy ballads, certainly also no bad movie songs. But the better movie songs certainly are welcome, 'cause they have a light, breezy "summer feel" to them. Along with some lesser known regular studio recordings.

I was thinking of "One Night". Everybody knows the original version, and that one is GREAT, I love the song, but want to feature the '68 version, or one of them. He never did that one as great again (singing his heart out) as he did it in 1968, I think (same with several other of his 50s classics). Elvis performed this song several times during his sit-down shows, and despite some plug problems (which spoil things a littel bit), they are all great versions vocal-wise. I don't know which one to choose. I wonder if anyone ever attempted to make a long composite version of the very best bits from these versions, leaving out the technical (pulled plug) problems? If so, I would like to hear that! Perhaps if it exists, or someone is inspired to make it, it could be posted as a download...?

I know a lot is possible with different software nowadays. I'd sure like to include a killer '68 live version of "One Night" on the cd.

Also, if you think certain songs are perfect for an "Elvis summer party cd", post the titles here! I think there's room for about 25-30 on 1 cd-r. Thank you. 8)

Re: One Night - '68 Comeback Special versions

Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:08 am

James27 wrote:I'd like you guys' input on this. I'm preparing an Elvis compilation for a friend, somebody who doesn't know much about Elvis but digs "A Little Less Conversation", which I want to include in the original (better) version instead of the JXL remix that he is familiar with and fond of. No ballads, just 100% fun and carefree songs. So I was thinking of "Party", "Let Yourself Go", "You're The Boss", "Rip It Up", "I Got Stung", "You Can't Say No In Acapulco" (or "I Think I'm Gonna Like It Here"), "Girls Girls Girls", Come On Everybody, and so on.

I would like to avoid the obvious "big hits" like Hound Dog, Don't Be Cruel, to show a broader repertoire to him, his wife and mutual friends. I'm always campaigning for Elvis! :wink: They're always asking me to bring music to accompany our afternoons and evenings, it's like a relax around the pool environment, but I don't really have a single "perfect" Elvis party cd that I can just pop in and let play, hence the idea of compiling what I think would be unanimously liked by most. No heavy ballads, certainly also no bad movie songs. But the better movie songs certainly are welcome, 'cause they have a light, breezy "summer feel" to them. Along with some lesser known regular studio recordings.

I was thinking of "One Night". Everybody knows the original version, and that one is GREAT, I love the song, but want to feature the '68 version, or one of them. He never did that one as great again (singing his heart out) as he did it in 1968, I think (same with several other of his 50s classics). Elvis performed this song several times during his sit-down shows, and despite some plug problems (which spoil things a littel bit), they are all great versions vocal-wise. I don't know which one to choose. I wonder if anyone ever attempted to make a long composite version of the very best bits from these versions, leaving out the technical (pulled plug) problems? If so, I would like to hear that! Perhaps if it exists, or someone is inspired to make it, it could be posted as a download...?

I know a lot is possible with different software nowadays. I'd sure like to include a killer '68 live version of "One Night" on the cd.

Also, if you think certain songs are perfect for an "Elvis summer party cd", post the titles here! I think there's room for about 25-30 on 1 cd-r. Thank you. 8)

The final performance of "One Night" from the first small combo set on June 27, 1968, which runs just under three minutes, should be the one to use. It was the one chosen by director Steve Binder, it is on the original soundtrack LP, and the vocal is out of this world. It doesn't matter if Presley accidentally unplugs his guitar for a moment, this was a live gig, and it helps make the moment.

Given that you are creating a disc for someone "who doesn't know much about Elvis but digs 'A Little Less Conversation'," it would be a serious mistake to avoid "the obvious 'big hits'." These are the songs that made Elvis famous the world over, the songs that inspired nearly every British band who came to prominence a decade later; in a word, they are essential.

I would also avoid second-tier soundtrack songs, no matter how light and fun. Your friend should understand what made Elvis the King of Rock 'n' Roll before discovering what else he got involved in.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:14 am

The one where he eventually stands up (without a strap), right?

Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:34 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:The final performance of "One Night" from the first small combo set on June 27, 1968, which runs just under three minutes, should be the one to use. It was the one chosen by director Steve Binder, it is on the original soundtrack LP, and the vocal is out of this world. It doesn't matter if Presley accidentally unplugs his guitar for a moment, this was a live gig, and it helps make the moment.

That happened on the first version [and again during the 8pm performance] NOT on the soundtrack version.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:43 am

James27 wrote:The one where he eventually stands up (without a strap), right?

Yup. What a great, great moment!

Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:46 am

Yes, I also recall it this way. Elvis gives his guys the "evil eye" :wink: when they are gently mocking him for needing a strap, then he goes along, finishes their line, and stands up. What follows are some of the finest Elvis moments ever captured on film. The pulling-the-plug incident was on the first version of this show. I'm not sure that the singing itself was better on the 2nd version of the first show (to which DJC refers) and that this is better than the singing during the 2nd show version, though.. could be.. but certainly Elvis' performance as a whole (the fact that he finally stands up, is like a symbolic rising from the Hollywood years) on this version is the ultimate, I think.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:35 am

elvisalisellers wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The final performance of "One Night" from the first small combo set on June 27, 1968, which runs just under three minutes, should be the one to use. It was the one chosen by director Steve Binder, it is on the original soundtrack LP, and the vocal is out of this world. It doesn't matter if Presley accidentally unplugs his guitar for a moment, this was a live gig, and it helps make the moment.

That happened on the first version [and again during the 8pm performance] NOT on the soundtrack version.

Thanks for the memory prompt. Even better, then, that the one on the LP goes straight through.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:35 am

James27 wrote:Yes, I also recall it this way. Elvis gives his guys the "evil eye" :wink: when they are gently mocking him for needing a strap, then he goes along, finishes their line, and stands up. What follows are some of the finest Elvis moments ever captured on film. The pulling-the-plug incident was on the first version of this show. I'm not sure that the singing itself was better on the 2nd version of the first show (to which DJC refers) and that this is better than the singing during the 2nd show version, though.. could be.. but certainly Elvis' performance as a whole (the fact that he finally stands up, is like a symbolic rising from the Hollywood years) on this version is the ultimate, I think.

Great analogy and yet another reason to include this rendition.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:08 am

A couple of observations about "One night" at the Tv show tapings.

"Somebody pulled the plug" not Elvis.

And it seemed to turn into some kind of show schtick because it happened 3 times IIRC and during the same song. Not a coincidence.

And the expression on Elvis' face after the second or third time, gives it away. He knew it was coming.

I think it was planned after the first one.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:17 pm

ekenee wrote:A couple of observations about "One night" at the Tv show tapings.

And it seemed to turn into some kind of show schtick because it happened 3 times IIRC and during the same song. Not a coincidence.

And the expression on Elvis' face after the second or third time, gives it away. He knew it was coming.

Where is this "3 time" unplug during One Night? Do you have a tape we have not seen?

Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:17 pm

Is this edit [which removes the "somebody pulled the plug" line] any good to you, James?

One Night (8pm edit)
http://www48.zippyshare.com/v/11173734/file.html

Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:48 pm

James27 wrote:I'd like you guys' input on this. I'm preparing an Elvis compilation for a friend, somebody who doesn't know much about Elvis but digs "A Little Less Conversation", which I want to include in the original (better) version instead of the JXL remix that he is familiar with and fond of. No ballads, just 100% fun and carefree songs. So I was thinking of "Party", "Let Yourself Go", "You're The Boss", "Rip It Up", "I Got Stung", "You Can't Say No In Acapulco" (or "I Think I'm Gonna Like It Here"), "Girls Girls Girls", Come On Everybody, and so on.

You Cant Say No In Acapulco? Really? I think that will slow your CD down to a crawl. If you want to use a song from that movie how about Bossa Nova Baby? Its not that well known and is certainly more fun. Besides, you said you no ballads?

Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:07 pm

That's true and a good point.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:45 pm

promiseland wrote:

Where is this "3 time" unplug during One Night? Do you have a tape we have not seen?

Tape? No. The 3 DVD set, yes.

But please note I was going by memory and I did write second or third time, so give me the benefit of the doubt. And also note, I was referring to the song, not a single performance.

Either way, I am still convinced it wasn’t by accident the second time. I went back to the “tapes” to review.

One night is performed 3 times during the sit-down shows and of those 3, 2 are actually stand up performances.

When Elvis accidently causes the cord to come out, he’s says, “somebody pulled the plug”.

So, at the next show during the same song, I think they tried to re-create the bit, more than likely for
possible editing purposes.

He once again brings up the fact there is “no strap”.
I think the lady fan to Elvis’ right pulled the plug out.
And he once again says, “somebody pulled the plug”.
And if you look at the expression on his face, he gives it away.

All too coincidental.

Go back and check it out.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:11 pm

That's interesting, I will.

Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:59 pm

ekenee wrote:
promiseland wrote:

But please note I was going by memory and I did write second or third time, so give me the benefit of the doubt. And also note, I was referring to the song, not a single performance.

Either way, I am still convinced it wasn’t by accident the second time. I went back to the “tapes” to review.

One night is performed 3 times during the sit-down shows and of those 3, 2 are actually stand up performances.

When Elvis accidently causes the cord to come out, he’s says, “somebody pulled the plug”.

So, at the next show during the same song, I think they tried to re-create the bit, more than likely for

All too coincidental.

IIRC that only happened once.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:06 am

promiseland wrote:
ekenee wrote:
promiseland wrote:

All too coincidental.

That settles it, I have tapes you don't have.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:20 am

ekenee wrote:
promiseland wrote:
ekenee wrote:
promiseland wrote:

All too coincidental.

It all adds to the magic of the special. "Pull the plug" lightens the sessions with a little Elvis and the gang humour...

When something goes wrong - turn it into a joke!

Watching the special floors me every time - God it's so good!!

Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:27 am

During these live segments, Elvis is the coolest guy who ever lived, no doubt about it. What he had that still continues to draw people in, he had in spaded at these shows: incredible musical talent, best-looking guy ever, black leather suit, humour, charisma, repertoire. The only thing I could find fault in were the arrengements conc. the rockers in the stand-up shows: he should have used a real rock 'n' roll band (just drums-bass-2 guitars), those songs didn't work with these un-rock'n'roll arrangements. But Elvis compensated for any imperfections with his overpowering talent and charisma.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:33 am

James27 wrote:During these live segments, Elvis is the coolest guy who ever lived, no doubt about it. What he had that still continues to draw people in, he had in spaded at these shows: incredible musical talent, best-looking guy ever, black leather suit, humour, charisma, repertoire. The only thing I could find fault in were the arrengements conc. the rockers in the stand-up shows: he should have used a real rock 'n' roll band (just drums-bass-2 guitars), those songs didn't work with these un-rock'n'roll arrangements. But Elvis compensated for any imperfections with his overpowering talent and charisma.

The rock was Elvis and his gang doing the sit-down shows - when he plays Scotty's Gibson - how much rock do you want? - that's Elvis rockin' to the max!

I disagree about the big band – it adds another flavour to the stand-up segment...

Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:45 am

Don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly happy with the rock 'n' roll during the sit-down shows (so glad these got filmed and recorded...), and Elvis' performances during the stand-up shows, ONLY the arrangements during the latter were not what they should have been for the rockers, the brass section reminds me of some of those inappropriate accompaniments during the filming of some of the 50s rockin' TV performances. For ballads like Can't Help Falling in Love and Love Me Tender they were good.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:29 am

James27 wrote:Don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly happy with the rock 'n' roll during the sit-down shows (so glad these got filmed and recorded...), and Elvis' performances during the stand-up shows, ONLY the arrangements during the latter were not what they should have been for the rockers, the brass section reminds me of some of those inappropriate accompaniments during the filming of some of the 50s rockin' TV performances. For ballads like Can't Help Falling in Love and Love Me Tender they were good.

Everyone's got their own take on it...

Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:39 am

Iwas watching both on june 27,2013 He starts to sing a bit of One night of sin but switches back the hit lyrics really quick.
One song that should have been done Reconsider baby with E on electric done like Baby what you want me to do.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:56 am

ekenee wrote:
promiseland wrote:
ekenee wrote:
promiseland wrote:

All too coincidental.

Cool how about you posting the video to show us where Elvis' guitar gets unplugged more than one time within all the "One Night" songs during the entire 1968 NBC video tapings, we would love to see it!

Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:24 am

promiseland wrote:
ekenee wrote:
promiseland wrote:
ekenee wrote:
promiseland wrote:

All too coincidental.

Cool how about you posting the video to show us where Elvis' guitar gets unplugged more than one time within all the "One Night" songs during the entire 1968 NBC video tapings, we would love to see it!

This is an odd response.

Do you have the 3 disc dvd set of the 68 special?

Please answer that before we continue.