Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Three Corn Patches - really that bad?

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:56 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Posted the information below before, but it's some cool background on where Elvis found "Three Corn Patches." Sadly, this may well be the final Leiber and Stoller song Presley ever cut in a studio. Is that all there is? I guess so.

At the 1973 Stax sessions, Elvis cut "If You Don't Come Back," "Three Corn Patches" and "Just A Little Bit" in July, all of which had just been cut by T-Bone Walker in a June date produced by Leiber and Stoller. All three would be slotted on Walker's double LP:

731020_Reprise 6483_01.JPG
731020_Reprise 6483_02.JPG
T-Bone Walker, Very Rare (Reprise 2XS 6483, October 20, 1973)
Note: Backing vocals were provided by the Sweet Inspirations!

Side 1
1. Striking On You, Baby (Jerry Leiber, Mike Stoller)
2. Please Send Me Someone To Love (Percy Mayfield)
3. Brother Bill (The Last Clean Shirt) (Jerry Leiber, Mike Stoller)
4. Evening (Harry White, Mitchell Parish)
5. The Come Back (L. C. Fraser)

Side 2
1. Your Picture Done Faded (Paul Howard)
2. Don't Give Me The Run Around (T-Bone Walker)
3. Hard Times (Jerry Leiber, Mike Stoller)
4. Everyday I Have The Blues (Peter Chatman)
5. Person To Person (Charles Singleton, Teddy McRae)

Side 3
1. Fever (Eddie Cooley, John Davenport)
2. Three Corn Patches (Jerry Leiber, Mike Stoller)
3. I'm Still In Love With You (T-Bone Walker)
4. Just A Little Bit (Earl Washington, John Thornton, Pitney Brown, Ralph Bass)
5. James Junior (Charles Otis)

Side 4
1. Been Down So Long (Jerry Leiber, Mike Stoller)
2. If You Don't Come Back (Jerry Leiber, Mike Stoller)
3. Kansas City (Jerry Leiber, Mike Stoller)
4. Well, I Done Got Over It (Eddie "Guitar Slim" Jones)
5. Stormy Monday (T-Bone Walker)

Walker's album was not issued until October:

Billboard - Oct 27 1973 p64.JPG
Billboard - October 27, 1973

Elvis' album with his recordings was out only two weeks after T-Bone's set:

Billboard - Nov 10 1973 p76.JPG
Billboard - November 10, 1973
Note: Review of Presley LP reads in part that "The raucous edge is gone from his voice."

Unlike Raised On Rock, Very Rare was an ambitious record:

This release, one of the last recordings put down by T-Bone Walker two years before his death, is exceptional by design alone.

Produced by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller, these 20 tracks were recorded in 1973 with the A-line of early 70's LA session players, quite a number of sidemen already major jazz artists themselves, a big band horn-section and The Sweet Inspirations as the vocal backing.

Musicians like Wilton Felder, Michael Omartian, James Booker, Jom Gordon, Dean Parks and Larry Carlton are heard together with jazz-legends like Dizzy Gillespie, Gerry Mulligan, Zoot Sims, Al Cohn, Herbie Mann and blues singer Charles Brown is heard on piano only.

Throughout the 20 tracks the musicians are shuffled from track to track, which actually makes the records more equal than one could expect - but unfortunately also equally neat, more blues by definition than by feeling.

Here again with a horn section - as he often was on his 50s Imperial recordings - one could have hoped for more of that receipt, slow, toned and soaked in brass, but instead of a late-night club feeling, you end up with a feeling just as was the most likely the atmosphere during recordings: blues by broad daylight.

Impressive credits though.

http://www.discogs.com/T-Bone-Walker-Very-Rare/release/2091488

As always, thank you so much DOC for your information post! Much appreciated

rlj

Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:18 am

r&b wrote:Leiber and Stoller have written arguably the best rock and roll songs in history, rivaled only by Lennon/McCartney IMO. Which brings us to Three Corn Patches. Fans usually mock this song. While it is not up to par with their other material, is it really that bad of a song or is it Elvis, with one of the worst vocal of his career that makes it seem worse than it is? Picture the song being recorded in 1957 or 1960 and you may get what I mean. Even though it still would not be a classic , I believe if it was recorded at the same time as Dirty, Dirty Feeling (also not a classic) it would have fared much better. What do others think?

The song "Three Corn Patches" is not top-drawer material, but T-Bone Walkers version is alright. As for Elvis' version, forget it, it's disasterous in every sense- vocal, the backing, the lot. It amazes me how Elvis was allowed to get away with it. As for "Dirty, Dirty Feeling" i quite like the song, i rocks along. I read that "Dirty, Dirty Feeling" was originally intended for the June 1958 session, in Nashville. But for whatever reason it was passed on. Now if he had've recorded it in '58 the song might have taken a differant shape.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:42 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
r&b wrote:Leiber and Stoller have written arguably the best rock and roll songs in history, rivaled only by Lennon/McCartney IMO. Which brings us to Three Corn Patches. Fans usually mock this song. While it is not up to par with their other material, is it really that bad of a song or is it Elvis, with one of the worst vocal of his career that makes it seem worse than it is? Picture the song being recorded in 1957 or 1960 and you may get what I mean. Even though it still would not be a classic , I believe if it was recorded at the same time as Dirty, Dirty Feeling (also not a classic) it would have fared much better. What do others think?

The song "Three Corn Patches" is not top-drawer material, but T-Bone Walkers version is alright. As for Elvis' version, forget it, it's disasterous in every sense- vocal, the backing, the lot. It amazes me how Elvis was allowed to get away with it. As for "Dirty, Dirty Feeling" i quite like the song, i rocks along. I read that "Dirty, Dirty Feeling" was originally intended for the June 1958 session, in Nashville. But for whatever reason it was passed on. Now if he had've recorded it in '58 the song might have taken a differant shape.

IIRC, the story was that "Dirty, Dirty Feeling" was slated for the "King Creole" sessions at Radio Recorders in January 1958. However, the 1960 Nashville master is fabulous, and nasty!

That's when I'll drag you home with me, girl
I'm gonna chain you to the wall

The song was also recently part of a hilarious blog entry by Mandy Foster:

Dirty Dirty Feeling

Speaking of sex dungeons…

This is a ballad about a cruel Southern plantation owner looking for his runaway slave. Ha ha! Just kidding. It’s a love song… that doubles as a PSA about domestic abuse.

“Dirty Dirty Feeling” was originally composed for the soundtrack to “King Creole” but did not make the final cut. However, Elvis liked it and included it on the album “Elvis Is Back!” – the first record he released after his 1960 discharge from the Army.

LYRICS:

I’ve got a dirty, dirty feelin’
Dirty feelin’s goin’ on
You know I almost hit the ceilin’
When I woke up and you were gone

I hear you’re pretty good at runnin’
But pretty soon you’ll slip and fall
That’s when I’ll drag you home with me girl
I’m gonna chain you to the wall

In summary: I will be played by either Rob Lowe or Benjamin Bratt in the Lifetime movie about our relationship. Your corpse will be played by Dana Delaney.

The Six Douchiest Elvis Songs Ever Written (AKA: My rejected Cracked.com pitch)
http://nofaintheartsinfortworth.com/2013/03/12/the-six-douchiest-elvis-songs-ever-written-aka-my-rejected-cracked-com-pitch/

Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:04 am

Now that is funny.

norrie

Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:33 am

Check out the blog topic, she analyzes several other Presley tracks, in amusing fashion.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:54 am

Elvis was like a different human being vocally in 1973 than he was in 1960 or 1958 or even 1969. I've never heard a voice change so much. Sure singers change with age, but with Elvis his whole voice changed where he just wasn't as versatile as he was. And he was still in his 30's!

Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:55 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Check out the blog topic, she analyzes several other Presley tracks, in amusing fashion.

Yeah,I checked it out.Very witty.Tony Joe White leather trouser enthusiast-$20 says he smells like Whiskey and feet !Brilliant.

Great song though.

norrie

Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:38 am

Y'all make fun of my boy. I make fun of three corn patches. To me this is the nadir of his recording career. So you have the king of rock n roll recording at a legendary studio with a song written by the great Leiber and Stoller! Except its at the studio 5 yrs past its heyday, the song is laughably bad and elvis's voice is weak and thin. Just a steaming pile of poop.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:05 am

guidedbyvoices wrote:Y'all make fun of my boy. I make fun of three corn patches. To me this is the nadir of his recording career. So you have the king of rock n roll recording at a legendary studio with a song written by the great Leiber and Stoller! Except its at the studio 5 yrs past its heyday, [color=#40FFFF]the song is laughably bad and elvis's voice is weak and thin. Just a steaming pile of poop[/color].

While your post and comment are appreciated, might your description of this song be a bit over-the-top? Just saying.... :wink:

rlj

Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:09 am

Hey I like Three Corn Patches...I also like My Boy...so to each their own. :roll:

Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:35 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

IIRC, the story was that "Dirty, Dirty Feeling" was slated for the "King Creole" sessions at Radio Recorders in January 1958. However, the 1960 Nashville master is fabulous, and nasty!

Dirty Dirty Feeling

This is a ballad about a cruel Southern plantation owner looking for his runaway slave. Ha ha! Just kidding. It’s a love song… that doubles as a PSA about domestic abuse.

“Dirty Dirty Feeling” was originally composed for the soundtrack to “King Creole” but did not make the final cut. However, Elvis liked it and included it on the album “Elvis Is Back!” – the first record he released after his 1960 discharge from the Army.

LYRICS:

Dirty feelin’s goin’ on

In summary: I will be played by either Rob Lowe or Benjamin Bratt in the Lifetime movie about our relationship. Your corpse will be played by Dana Delaney.

http://nofaintheartsinfortworth.com/2013/03/12/the-six-douchiest-elvis-songs-ever-written-aka-my-rejected-cracked-com-pitch/

Thanks Doc. Yes, that's right, it was the King Creole sessions the song was originally intended for. Your post reminded me of it all again. Thanks for the info.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:44 am

TCP deserved just as much airplay as 'Queenie Wahine's Papaya' .

Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:54 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Thanks Doc. Yes, that's right, it was the King Creole sessions the song was originally intended for. Your post reminded me of it all again. Thanks for the info.

No worries. There is a belief it was attempted at this session:

Soundtrack Session for Paramount: King Creole, January 23, 1958
http://www.elvisrecordings.com/s580123.htm

Man, a 1958 performance of "Dirty, Dirty Feeling" would be aces. What a great Leiber and Stoller effort.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:53 am

I've never had problems with the Raised On Rock album. Three Corn Patches is not that bad either imo. Luckily the FTD release actually gave new life to it! I recall picking up the original vinyl album and I liked it back then as I like it now.
The only song on the original I had problems with was Girl Of Mine. I can't explain why, but still......... The other ballads were fine with the standout For Ol' Time Sake. The slow rockers here are just fine with me!

Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:16 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Dirty Dirty Feeling

LYRICS:

Dirty feelin’s goin’ on

They missed the verse where Elvis sings: "I took you in when you were hungy / and now you're cuttin' out on me". Just hear Elvis' chuckle after that. Amuses me every time!

Back to topic: To me "Three Corn Patches" is one of the worst Elvis recordings. Not a too bad song but nothing really fancy.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:59 pm

Three Corn Patches is hardly the best rocker Elvis cut for the LP, but it's OK. No classic, not even close, but at least the sound of it is sharp. Elvis didn't push himself as hard as he could have vocally, but you can still tell that he had a natural ability for bluesy tempos. I don't think of Three Corn Patches as "bad" uptempo material, that's reserved for the live medley of the era.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:57 pm

rlj4ep wrote:
guidedbyvoices wrote:Y'all make fun of my boy. I make fun of three corn patches. To me this is the nadir of his recording career. So you have the king of rock n roll recording at a legendary studio with a song written by the great Leiber and Stoller! Except its at the studio 5 yrs past its heyday, [color=#40FFFF]the song is laughably bad and elvis's voice is weak and thin. Just a steaming pile of poop[/color].

While your post and comment are appreciated, might your description of this song be a bit over-the-top? Just saying.... :wink:

rlj

Not meant as over the top. I really don't like Elvis version and feel he sounds absolutely terrible on it.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:34 pm

The instrumentals could have been rocked out a little more than they were and seemed somewhat subdued for Elvis' band. And Elvis' voice here sounds strained and i could imagine he treated this as "lets finish this and go home" type material. He sounds very dis-interested in whats going on in the song.
I take all these things into consideration when listening to this track.
I accept it at face value...it is what it is. :|

Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:55 pm

the outtake on essential elvis vol.5 is way better than then master....the ending there shows some spirit.
the master is lifeless...so i would say, that elvis nasal voice makes the song unappealing for me.

of course its not the best song from the duo.....but it could have done better by elvis....alot better....
had he recorded this way with this voice in 1957....elvis would have never approved a release....
i mean...think about it...back in 1957 he did not wanted one night for release...cause he was not fully satisfied with it..or aint that loving you baby was also not approved by elvis..

and in 1973 every substandart performance was released...
well, he did not care anymore...and tried go get his contractual lps full

Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:40 pm

George Smith wrote:It's not a Presley classic, for sure, but the full ending is the point at which the performance comes to life: it's a shame the official master was edited.

Yes, the band really start cooking and kicking butt in the last minute or so of this song which was truncated on original release. I wonder why they did this with a lot of Elvis' songs in the 70's? Heaven knows some of the albums had short enough running times as it is.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:21 am

I don't like the song. It's the worst song on the whole album.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:23 am

I like Old McDonald more than Three Corn Patches!

Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:25 am

skatterbrane wrote:I like Old McDonald more than Three Corn Patches!

I like ANY Leiber/Stoller song over the hideous Old McDonald, maybe in the bottom 5 movie songs of all time! Embarrassing for 1966.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:31 am

r&b wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:I like Old McDonald more than Three Corn Patches!

I like ANY Leiber/Stoller song over the hideous Old McDonald, maybe in the bottom 5 movie songs of all time! Embarrassing for 1966.

Well if you take the song and the performance into consideration, I will take Elvis' Old McDonald, Confidence, Yoga Is As Yoga Does, etc, over Three Corn Patches. Most of Elvis performances after 1970 are such that I would have never been a fan at all had his career started with the Elvis Now LP. It is only by the merit of his 1954-1970 output that he even sold a single record after Elvis Country. I will take ANY of his 60s soundtracks over any album he did after Elvis Country.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:22 am

It's okay - a pedestrian blues rocker, hardly challenging for all involved, but made for a easy tackle before doing some harder stuff.