Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

The Complete Masters Boxed Set - Live Albums / Legacy's

Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:35 am

Hey all, so forgive if this has been brought up (I'm sure it has), but I just bought the 30 cd Complete Masters set, and I was wondering in regards to sound quality if the Legacy editions of the following recordings are still superior in sound quality, or if the set itself is superior:

Elvis Presley
Elvis
Elvis is Back
Something for Everybody
From Elvis in Memphis
Back in Memphis
In Person
On Stage
Elvis in Person
Aloha From Hawaii

Also, is Prince from Another Planet superior to the recordings of the MSG shows on the set, or should I go with the tapes on the set?

Re: The Complete Masters Boxed Set - Live Albums / Legacy's

Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:39 am

My understanding is that the Legacy Edition masters are the same Anesini remasters from the Complete Masters box set. I haven't done a side-by-side comparison.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:01 am

I could not tell you because i am hoping and waiting until they reissue this set with all 30 cds cover art with photos of Elvis insted of that stupid looking cover art that is on the cds now,especially for $750+ dollars,that's just me. :)

But if your looking for the best sound quality in all Elvis Master Recordings i would buy up all the original vintage Vinyl Records from 1954-1977 :smt023

Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:09 am

U.S. Male1990 wrote:Hey all, so forgive if this has been brought up (I'm sure it has), but I just bought the 30 cd Complete Masters set, and I was wondering in regards to sound quality if the Legacy editions of the following recordings are still superior in sound quality, or if the set itself is superior:

Elvis Presley
Elvis
Elvis is Back
Something for Everybody
From Elvis in Memphis
Back in Memphis
In Person
On Stage
Elvis in Person
Aloha From Hawaii

Also, is Prince from Another Planet superior to the recordings of the MSG shows on the set, or should I go with the tapes on the set?

All the titles listed above are the same Vic Anesini remasters heard on TCM set with the following exceptions:
- Elvis and Elvis Presley tracks can also be heard on YMWTBB - again VA remasters
- Aloha From Hawaii - the rehearsal show was remixed on the Legacy Edition - the main show was remastered by VA
- Elvis As Recorded at Madison Square Garden was released as a Legacy Edition as well as PFAP - the evening show is the Vic Anesini remaster as heard on TCM

With regard to PFAP - it's a matter of opinion really - some people don't like the new mixes but I find them to be an improvement over the 1972 and 1997 mixes.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:06 am

The sound quality of Prince From Another Planet is poor, squashed and in your face. It's a shame as it could've sounded so good. As for the backing vocals, who knows what they did to those but they sound weird and modulated. If it wasn't for the obvious overuse of compression the release would probably sound great. Imagine squashing your face up against a mirror, that's what it sounds like.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:23 pm

As mentioned above the sound quality is pretty much the same on both Legacy and TCM, however an interesting anomaly is the fact that the album fades on In Person are absent on TCM but present on the Legacy set and the opposite occurs for the Madison Square Garden tracks. Aloha has the album fades on both sets and On Stage has none on either, yet does on the FTD set. Live on stage in Memphis has no fades either but goes weird amd 'reverby' where it would fade as if the tracks had been merged with a seconds delays ie 'phasing' I think is the correct term. Well, okay, I thought it was interesting!

Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:38 pm

Matthew wrote:The sound quality of Prince From Another Planet is poor, squashed and in your face. It's a shame as it could've sounded so good. As for the backing vocals, who knows what they did to those but they sound weird and modulated. If it wasn't for the obvious overuse of compression the release would probably sound great. Imagine squashing your face up against a mirror, that's what it sounds like.

For me, the 'Prince From Another Planet' sound was the best ever. So much more exciting than the original releases and it certainly lived up to the hype of 'just like being at a real Elvis concert. This release has been my most played Elvis album in many a year and the MSG Concerts were some of his best ever.

Brian

Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:39 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:
Matthew wrote:The sound quality of Prince From Another Planet is poor, squashed and in your face. It's a shame as it could've sounded so good. As for the backing vocals, who knows what they did to those but they sound weird and modulated. If it wasn't for the obvious overuse of compression the release would probably sound great. Imagine squashing your face up against a mirror, that's what it sounds like.

For me, the 'Prince From Another Planet' sound was the best ever. So much more exciting than the original releases and it certainly lived up to the hype of 'just like being at a real Elvis concert.
Brian

Love the sound on PFAP.....will never play any of the old versions again.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:36 pm

TCK_KING wrote:
Brian Quinn wrote:

For me, the 'Prince From Another Planet' sound was the best ever. So much more exciting than the original releases and it certainly lived up to the hype of 'just like being at a real Elvis concert.
Brian

Love the sound on PFAP.....will never play any of the old versions again.

Agreed... I purchased both sets (PFAP and the Legacy Edition) of the MSG shows and I have yet to play the Legacy Edition.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:50 pm

I cannot stand the squashed sound of PFAP - I tried, I really did, but it takes me out of the concert. All I notice is the annoying, over the top compression, even in the car. It's fatiguing on the ears. Everything sounds 1-dimensional as a result, there's no 'depth' to the sound. That so many like this sound is cause for concern. I hope they don't ruin another Presley release like this again.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:25 pm

Matthew wrote:I cannot stand the squashed sound of PFAP - I tried, I really did, but it takes me out of the concert. All I notice is the annoying, over the top compression, even in the car. It's fatiguing on the ears. Everything sounds 1-dimensional as a result, there's no 'depth' to the sound. That so many like this sound is cause for concern. I hope they don't ruin another Presley release like this again.

I never liked the original sound of MSG - sincerely disliked it really. It was flat and lifeless. I basically rediscovered MSG with the PFAP set. Just love the wall of sound they have created. It is just like you are in the middle of the venue, back in 1972. Each his own, I guess.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:37 pm

I prefer the TCM version of the MSG evening show. I'm not an audiophile like Matthew and others, but I don't really like the sound on POAP, it sounds unnatural and unpleasant to me. I also didn't like the FTD of the Memphis '74 concert, but I can't say these two remixes can be compared. I just don't like them. So far this '74 concert sounds best on the TCM set, despite the added applause and the fact that it's not nearly complete etc. The much maligned Texas '72 concert as featured on "Close Up" sounds fine to me, one of his best sounding concerts IMO. I wonder if the other recorded shows during that tour are recorded with the same sound quality. Why was this particular concert picked and not another one ? It's a fine show but I just wonder about that.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:02 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
U.S. Male1990 wrote:Hey all, so forgive if this has been brought up (I'm sure it has), but I just bought the 30 cd Complete Masters set, and I was wondering in regards to sound quality if the Legacy editions of the following recordings are still superior in sound quality, or if the set itself is superior:

Elvis Presley
Elvis
Elvis is Back
Something for Everybody
From Elvis in Memphis
Back in Memphis
In Person
On Stage
Elvis in Person
Aloha From Hawaii

All the titles listed above are the same Vic Anesini remasters heard on TCM set with the following exceptions:
- Elvis and Elvis Presley tracks can also be heard on YMWTBB - again VA remasters
- Aloha From Hawaii - the rehearsal show was remixed on the Legacy Edition - the main show was remastered by VA
- Elvis As Recorded at Madison Square Garden was released as a Legacy Edition as well as PFAP - the evening show is the Vic Anesini remaster as heard on TCM

With regard to PFAP - it's a matter of opinion really - some people don't like the new mixes but I find them to be an improvement over the 1972 and 1997 mixes.

Isn't the main Aloha show on the Legacy 2-cd edition the same (old) mix and (new V.A.) remaster than previously released on the TCM set? It is, to my ears.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:33 am

Yes, the Aloha main show on Legacy is the old mix with the new Anesini remaster. I don't have Complete Masters, but it's the same as on the Franklin Mint set. My understanding is that Complete Masters and Franklin Mint used the same Anesini remasters.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:59 am

James27 wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:

Elvis Presley
Elvis
Elvis is Back
Something for Everybody
From Elvis in Memphis
Back in Memphis
In Person
On Stage
Elvis in Person
Aloha From Hawaii

Isn't the main Aloha show on the Legacy 2-cd edition the same (old) mix and (new V.A.) remaster than previously released on the TCM set? It is, to my ears.

Yes, it's the same mix... it's the rehearsal show, as I've stated above, that was remixed.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:07 am

Matthew wrote:I cannot stand the squashed sound of PFAP - I tried, I really did, but it takes me out of the concert. All I notice is the annoying, over the top compression, even in the car. It's fatiguing on the ears. Everything sounds 1-dimensional as a result, there's no 'depth' to the sound. That so many like this sound is cause for concern. I hope they don't ruin another Presley release like this again.

I prefer the FTD of the Memphis show and I know many don't... IMO PFAP gave the evening show new life... I don't hear much of an improvement with the afternoon performance but the sound of that show was bad on the original 1997 mix as well.
Also, some people have a keener ear for music than others... but for the most part it's subjective.
Last edited by elvis-fan on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:44 am

Alexander wrote:I never liked the original sound of MSG - sincerely disliked it really. It was flat and lifeless. I basically rediscovered MSG with the PFAP set. Just love the wall of sound they have created. It is just like you are in the middle of the venue, back in 1972. Each his own, I guess.

When you say "original sound of MSG", what release are you referring to? If its the old BMG CD from the early 90s, yes, it sounds bad.

Back to PFAP, there is no way this sounds like it would have in the middle of the venue, not flat, squashed, and one dimensional. Yes, it's a wall of sound - a muddy, one dimensional wall of sound. They didn't have to make this a compressed mess in order to get it sounding closer to a "in the venue" experience.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:26 pm

I have the same feeling when I listen to FTD's version of the Memphis '74, like a wall of sound, LOUD and almost unbearable, no breathing space for the music, if that makes sense.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:31 pm

James27 wrote:I have the same feeling when I listen to FTD's version of the Memphis '74, like a wall of sound, LOUD and almost unbearable, no breathing space for the music, if that makes sense.

The FTD sounds way better to me than PFAP, but yes, it too is quite compressed.