Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Unpopular opinions

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:35 pm

I guess i'm in a even rarer group: I like the "Harum Scarum" soundtrack very much, together with "Fun in Acapulco" it's among my favorites...

Also, i think the songs in "Easy come, easy go" are fun upbeat songs.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:50 pm

promiseland wrote:
rjm wrote:He wrote that one! Really! It wudn't me! (An old song, as I recall.)

A couple more posts like this rjm and you're gonna get carpal tunnel! :lol:

Yes, rjm is right. Most of the rambling is mine! Sorry! :oops:

Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:37 pm

JohanD wrote:I guess i'm in a even rarer group: I like the "Harum Scarum" soundtrack very much, together with "Fun in Acapulco" it's among my favorites...

Also, i think the songs in "Easy come, easy go" are fun upbeat songs.

Im in that group to :)

Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:41 pm

joekro1977 wrote:Apparently, my love of all things Jungle Room seems odd to a few people. I enjoy this material with overdubs, without overdubs, studio outtakes, OSM, and just about any other way it can be purchased.

I also happen to think that the Summer 1977 concerts had more then a few vocal highlights and should not be dismissed out of hand as a complete failure.

Agreed.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:44 pm

InheritTheWind wrote:I like the song "Sylvia." It's one of my guilty pleasures. I think Elvis' voice sounds nice. Super cheesy but I still like it.

Oh, and I think Elvis was probably a racist in the way that Paula Deen is a racist or the way my grandparents on the white side of my family were racist. (My grandfather was from Arkansas and my grandmother was from Texas.) I'm not talking about KKK-style racism; I'm talking about the type of people who think its OK to throw around a racial epithet every now and then. Even Billy Smith said that "Elvis was southern, and so he joked sometimes."

There's two very unpopular opinions!

I can see what you mean. Marty Lacker, who has detailed memories of the past, wrote the following at the AEK newsgroup once:

Another Guralnick fallacy [On a Peter Guralnik piece]
The fact is that it was amazing how little racism Elvis had in that he was
surrounded by a family that was racist and anti-semitic. Most of his family
was that way, uncles, aunts, cousins and his father. Not every single one
but almost. Elvis was very aware of this but he knew it was too late to
change any of them.

He helped many black people anonymously and he respected and was friendly
to, the Jewish people he knew throughout his life.

You have to understand how, where and when they grew up to know why they
were that way. Not everybody in the south back then was that way but most
were.

Marty wrote also that, EP was certainly prejudicial (as are all kinds of people the world over), but even then, not as much as his relatives. In fact, Marty added, it was remarkable that Elvis exhibited so little of those family traits given the influence of the family.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:24 pm

Suds wrote:
InheritTheWind wrote:I like the song "Sylvia." It's one of my guilty pleasures. I think Elvis' voice sounds nice. Super cheesy but I still like it.

Oh, and I think Elvis was probably a racist in the way that Paula Deen is a racist or the way my grandparents on the white side of my family were racist. (My grandfather was from Arkansas and my grandmother was from Texas.) I'm not talking about KKK-style racism; I'm talking about the type of people who think its OK to throw around a racial epithet every now and then. Even Billy Smith said that "Elvis was southern, and so he joked sometimes."

I can see what you mean. Marty Lacker, who has detailed memories of the past, wrote the following at the AEK newsgroup once:

change any of them.

were.

Marty wrote also that, EP was certainly prejudicial (as are all kinds of people the world over), but even then, not as much as his relatives. In fact, Marty added, it was remarkable that Elvis exhibited so little of those family traits given the influence of the family.

That's an excellent point, Suds. Thanks for the Marty Lacker quotes. Despite Elvis' upbringing and environment he was ultimately a really good person -- at least in the early years. And it was nice that he sang songs like "If I Can Dream," "Change of Habit," "In the Ghetto" and "Walk A Mile In My Shoes" between 1968-1970. It was only in the later years (1971-1977) that things seemed to go awry...

Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:01 am

Probably the worst offender for me: that Elvis was a bumpkin idiot savant. He was well-read, articulate and, above all, honed his innate ability. Someone with just raw talent doesn't necessarily have the brains to take it to the next level. Elvis clearly did.

But as far as my unpopular opinions....well, if Elvis had lived, I don't think he would have hung on much longer anyway. I don't think that anyone could save him. I don't think that the Colonel, as awful as was so many times, made Elvis do anything he didn't really want to do. Elvis was intelligent, but also a an immature kid. Is any of that unpopular? :o

Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:39 pm

InheritTheWind wrote:
Suds wrote:

change any of them.

were.

That's an excellent point, Suds. Thanks for the Marty Lacker quotes. Despite Elvis' upbringing and environment he was ultimately a really good person -- at least in the early years. And it was nice that he sang songs like "If I Can Dream," "Change of Habit," "In the Ghetto" and "Walk A Mile In My Shoes" between 1968-1970. It was only in the later years (1971-1977) that things seemed to go awry...

After thinking more about it all, what he probably failed most at in all this was just tolerating it around him. And that's the worst thing most of us do. Not active, so much as passive. I mean, Gene Smith was apparently a piece of work. But Elvis, for a long time, tolerated it.

And that's why I posted thst personal "confession" that I hope people read. If not, I'll put it in quotes.

rjm wrote:A confession, which sorta supports your general thesis. In the late '70s, "Lady Sings The Blues" was on the TV in the lobby of my dorm floor. The other girl on the sofa found Billy Dee Williams very attractive, and said so, using . . . THE N-WORD! I cringed, I made a sour face, I moved away from her. BUT I SAID NOTHING! Which, I guess makes me a bigot-by-inaction. So, there you go. I knew it was as wrong to be silent, as to have said it, yet I was a coward, and thus contributed to the problem. True fact! In West Alabama. So, almost none of us are saints! Certainly not me.)

Very few of us are "pure." And inaction, when you know better, is worse than most anything. Elvis was bright, and shaped by some very different experiences than many southerners of similar, but not identical backgrounds. But there were times, it's in Hopkins, when he let Gene rant on and on, until an argument broke out, and he had to cool it down before violence broke out. He should have cut that cord earlier. It certainly embarrassed him. But he didn't. Just like I didn't tell off that vulgar girl. Cowardice - that's the worst.

Just like he could have furthered his horizons by spending less time with "the boys."

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:55 pm

"Elvis died when he went into the army"

"they not only shaved his head, they shaved between his legs too".

Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:28 pm

rjm wrote:A confession, which sorta supports your general thesis. In the late '70s, "Lady Sings The Blues" was on the TV in the lobby of my dorm floor. The other girl on the sofa found Billy Dee Williams very attractive, and said so, using . . . THE N-WORD! I cringed, I made a sour face, I moved away from her. BUT I SAID NOTHING! Which, I guess makes me a bigot-by-inaction. So, there you go. I knew it was as wrong to be silent, as to have said it, yet I was a coward, and thus contributed to the problem. True fact! In West Alabama. So, almost none of us are saints! Certainly not me.)

rjm wrote:But he didn't. Just like I didn't tell off that vulgar girl. Cowardice - that's the worst.

I think you're being way too hard on yourself about what happened in the lobby of your dorm floor, rjm. Just because you kept quiet doesn't make you a bigot. I probably wouldn't have said anything either. But I probably would have immediately left the lobby. What would be the point of having a confrontation? Some people are horrible and there's not a lot you can do about it. You are far from being a coward.

rjm wrote:Very few of us are "pure."

That's why I said earlier that it's a good thing people can't read each other's thoughts. We'd all be screwed. No one is "pure."

Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:18 am

I like the song Life. I like his voice on that song and any song from 1970.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:11 am

InheritTheWind wrote:

rjm wrote:But he didn't. Just like I didn't tell off that vulgar girl. Cowardice - that's the worst.

I think you're being way too hard on yourself about what happened in the lobby of your dorm floor, rjm. Just because you kept quiet doesn't make you a bigot. I probably wouldn't have said anything either. But I probably would have immediately left the lobby. What would be the point of having a confrontation? Some people are horrible and there's not a lot you can do about it. You are far from being a coward.

rjm wrote:Very few of us are "pure."

That's why I said earlier that it's a good thing people can't read each other's thoughts. We'd all be screwed. No one is "pure."

Thank you! (I've been torn by that, ever since it happened.) Yes, I should have left the lobby at the very least. But, see, the TV there had CABLE! :smt002 (Well, it's true.)

rjm
::rocks

Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:05 pm

Elvis' voice grew better with age / sang best in 1977.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:34 pm

I love "Girl Happy". The tune has so much drive.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:28 pm

joshferrell wrote:ok..since this is the cool new hip thing to do on message forums (since I see these on most of them nowadays) I decided to start an Elvis:unpopular opinions thread, for those who don't know basically what opinions do you have about Elvis that are unpopular by most? well post them here.

Well you know the saying about opinions: Everybody got them.

Regarding Elvis: That he is still accused by some blacks or for that colored teens who are gaga about puff daddy & co that he stole the black men's music. :x

And when i ask them who told them that then it is always that old line in the "Fight the power" song. And when i tell them that that line (opinion) has been changed by the same artist they hail,then i get: " oh ... i didn't know that "

I am geting fed up to defend someone against some false rumors only because it won't go away despite all the evidence.
Howcome they still are gaga about the selfproclaimed "King of Pop" Michael Jackson who gave more reason to be accused of something with his love for young children en his sleep-inns.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:44 am

moffringa wrote:Regarding Elvis: That he is still accused by some blacks or for that colored teens who are gaga about puff daddy & co that he stole the black men's music. :x

And when i ask them who told them that then it is always that old line in the "Fight the power" song. And when i tell them that that line (opinion) has been changed by the same artist they hail,then i get: " oh ... i didn't know that "

Are "them" the "some blacks or for that colored teens" you mention?

Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:54 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
moffringa wrote:Regarding Elvis: That he is still accused by some blacks or for that colored teens who are gaga about puff daddy & co that he stole the black men's music. :x

Oh my God. Do you ever just quit for one second? What the hell is your problem? I mean really.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:20 am

Panhandle Kid wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Oh my God. Do you ever just quit for one second? What the hell is your problem? I mean really.

He is a bully with a keyboard and lots of time on his hands and he scours these threads looking for someone to pick on. He is a very naughty boy. I have just read some of his diatribes and he is a disgrace to the memory of Elvis Presley.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:05 pm

pingpong wrote:
Panhandle Kid wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

He is a bully with a keyboard and lots of time on his hands and he scours these threads looking for someone to pick on. He is a very naughty boy. I have just read some of his diatribes and he is a disgrace to the memory of Elvis Presley.

He is a disgrace to the memory of Elvis. Why don't they ban him? Then again he has his followers. I don't know why, but he does and I have a feeling that I'm not going to welcome on here much longer.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:02 pm

Panhandle Kid wrote:
pingpong wrote:
Panhandle Kid wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

He is a disgrace to the memory of Elvis. Why don't they ban him? Then again he has his followers. I don't know why, but he does and I have a feeling that I'm not going to welcome on here much longer.

There are warnings on several sites about him (and others on this site)_ but it does not bother me to be honest. As long as he stays away from me and I dont have to read his dribble. Aside of him it is quite a good site with lots of knowledgeable people who really know their stuff. Why dont they ban him? that is a good question and I do not know the answer but I bet I can get close with two or three guesses. Of course he has people who enjoy his posts and quite right too but he is a bully boy and his ego is apparent on most of his postings.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:01 pm

pingpong wrote:
Panhandle Kid wrote:
pingpong wrote:
Panhandle Kid wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

There are warnings on several sites about him (and others on this site)_ but it does not bother me to be honest. As long as he stays away from me and I dont have to read his dribble. Aside of him it is quite a good site with lots of knowledgeable people who really know their stuff. Why dont they ban him? that is a good question and I do not know the answer but I bet I can get close with two or three guesses. Of course he has people who enjoy his posts and quite right too but he is a bully boy and his ego is apparent on most of his postings.

I agree.

Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:32 am

I prefer "Love Letters From Elvis" to "Elvis Country".

I'd also like to see FTD create a deluxe edition of "Essential Elvis Vol. 2: Stereo '57".

Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:42 pm

My fave '60's non soundtrack album is "Pot Luck."

I prefer "Back In Memphis" over "From Elvis In Memphis."

I prefer "Promised Land' over "Elvis Country."

I like the "EP Boulevard" album.

I prefer the "Guitar Man" remake over the original.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:22 pm

I love the live version of It's Impossible, from Feb 1972.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:34 pm

Joe Car wrote:I love the live version of It's Impossible, from Feb 1972.

Me, too!