Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

The Thrill Of A Woman's Love

Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:03 am

Perhaps one of the more unheralded gems of "Elvis Is Back!"; Stan Kesler's [I'm Right, You're Left, She's Gone, I Forgot To Remember To Forget, Playing For Keeps, If I'm A Fool (For Loving You)] Thrill Of Your Love actually started life out originally as A Woman's Love, when Carl McVoy [a cousin of Jerry Lee Lewis and later a pianist with the Bill Black Combo] cut a more than acceptable version [that remained unissued until much later on] at Sun in 1958.

Listening to his version, it would appear Elvis may have had been privy to a few listens, as there are some clear nuances and phrasing patterns that Elvis repeats in his own recording.
[N.B. Kesler has said that Barbara Pittman demoed for this particular session].

Either way, Elvis - once again - demonstrates his genius of taking a song to another place altogether, with a vocal that glides so effortlessly over a really beautiful gospel-tinged pop backdrop.

Deservedly, it gained some wider exposure when included on Sony's career-spanning "Elvis 75: Good Rockin' Tonight" box set from a few years back.

Belatedly so.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Re: The Thrill Of A Woman's Love

Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:21 am

As noted, Stan Kesler also wrote "I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone" and "I Forgot to Remember to Forget" for Elvis when Presley was recording for Sam Phillips at Sun Records. When Elvis went to RCA in November 1955, "Playing For Keeps" was the first cut made at the September 1956 Radio Recorders sessions, and they put a LOT of work into getting a perfect master -- 18 takes.

Kesler had made a demo of "Playing For Keeps" at Sun, with the lovely Memphis songstress Barbara Pittman on vocals, and she did apparently repeat the favor in 1959 on Kesler's demo of "The Thrill Of Your Love." The reworking of the McVoy demo was wise. On both of these rock ballads Stan shoots for a gospel feel, which he knew would appeal to Elvis. The Presley masters are just about perfect -- an artist at the top of his game.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:43 am

The Thrill Of Your Love is one of the best recordings in the whole Elvis canon. I love it very, very much.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:47 am

elvisalisellers wrote:Deservedly, it gained some wider exposure when included on Sony's career-spanning "Elvis 75: Good Rockin' Tonight" box set from a few years back.
Belatedly so.

It was also appropriately included on the 2-cd set, elvis The 50 Greatest Love Songs in 2001 - http://www.elvisoncd.com/eigenecd/CD/t/ ... esongs.htm

Great indeed!

Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:56 am

Such a great song and recording. You believe every word Elvis sings with such sincerity. Especially the bridge "I would give everything that I own in this world..." sends shivers down my spine every time I hear it. Simply wonderful.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:16 am

stevelecher wrote:I love it very, very much.

:D

Me too . It's beyond great in my book.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:07 am

the Elvis is back album is up with the Memphis recordings, a man on top of his game and this song was a song i really enjoyed when i first heard it. 21 years later i still enjoy the song.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:21 pm

What a voice!!

Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:25 pm

Joe Car wrote:What a voice!!

I agree, McVoy does a sterling job. :smt002

Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:36 am

xmascarrol wrote:the Elvis is back album is up with the Memphis recordings, a man on top of his game and this song was a song i really enjoyed when i first heard it. 21 years later i still enjoy the song.

I may be in the minority here but IMO, Elvis Is Back is far superior to the Memphis recordings. Then again, I've never hidden my enthusiasm for Elvis' early 60's period. Unmatched vocals.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:17 am

my favourite version. Take 1
phpBB [video]

Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:56 am

A wonderful and great song from one of my TOP 3 albums. I love Elvis Is Back! And with all the missing songs now on it, it is perfect. :smt007

Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:40 pm

stevelecher wrote:
xmascarrol wrote:the Elvis is back album is up with the Memphis recordings, a man on top of his game and this song was a song i really enjoyed when i first heard it. 21 years later i still enjoy the song.

I may be in the minority here but IMO, Elvis Is Back is far superior to the Memphis recordings. Then again, I've never hidden my enthusiasm for Elvis' early 60's period. Unmatched vocals.

Both show our hero at his best, fully engaged and totally exciting, and the majority of the material taped at each session is equal to the task. At the very least, they make for a fantastic way to bookend the decade. If only that stuff in the middle could have been likewise.