Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis Memories from the old days

Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:10 pm

I recently found a used DVD titled, “Stories from the golden age of Country music”.
It’s a cheaply produced DVD with a bunch of old country stars talking about the good old days of
Country music. It’s nearly an hour long and divided into 5 segments.
They talk about Hank Williams, Faron Young, Kitty Wells, Patsy Cline and Elvis Presley.

So each segment is roughly 10 minutes long. Some of the stories I hadn’t heard before and
they are told usually with first hand accounts, because they were there.

Yes, some of it is rambling but it was interesting to hear them talk about their memories of those days.

Included is Jeanne C. Riley talking about her meeting with Elvis in 1969.
She said Elvis came to see her show in Las Vegas and she did introduce him from the audience.
They met back stage and talked quite a bit. She said she was nervous singing a song in her act that
was recently a hit by Elvis, “Big boss man”.

Then Skeeter Davis said she was there when they tore off his clothes in Jacksonville, Florida.
She also goes into a long story about leaving a note with Elvis in Las vegas in 1976, asking that
he help her with a benefit, and to call a pastor Sharp, in which she says Elvis did, because he called the pastor up on the phone at 4am asking how he could help.
She also talked about the Rex Humbard meeting and that she said that Elvis had a new TV special he was going to do that was similar to Aloha from Hawaii. I suppose that was Elvis in Concert, in that both of those shows were live concerts.

Another story came from a woman who never identified herself, and this DVD has no credits.
She talked about meeting Elvis backstage at the Opry when she was 15 years old.
She never mentioned a date but it must be 1957.
She said Bill Monroe was on stage singing “Blue moon of Kentucky” and Elvis asked her to dance.
So she danced with Elvis backstage, to the music of Bill Monroe , and then Elvis kissed her on the cheek.

This next guy was very interesting because how many people can claim they saw Elvis’ very first
Live show in Aug of 1954 at the Overton park shell in Memphis. Well Billy Walker was on the bill of that show, and he said he was so impressed by Elvis that he told Horace Logan that they need to get him on the hayride. He also went on to say that after Elvis got on the hayride the whole cast would go hang out at
Harry’s BBQ, and a couple hundred girls would usually follow Elvis there.
Billy also touched on the Jan. 1955 tour he did with Elvis and said that Elvis had to close the show after the first night of the tour, because he couldn’t follow Elvis after that.

Pretty interesting stuff. Some of it may be a little inaccurate, but it mainly rang true.
The stuff on the other stars was very interesting too. Some funny stories as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Elvis Memories from the old days

Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:35 am

ekenee wrote:I recently found a used DVD titled, “Stories from the golden age of Country music”.
It’s a cheaply produced DVD with a bunch of old country stars talking about the good old days of
They talk about Hank Williams, Faron Young, Kitty Wells, Patsy Cline and Elvis Presley.

So each segment is roughly 10 minutes long. Some of the stories I hadn’t heard before and

Yes, some of it is rambling but it was interesting to hear them talk about their memories of those days.

She said Elvis came to see her show in Las Vegas and she did introduce him from the audience.
They met back stage and talked quite a bit. She said she was nervous singing a song in her act that

Then Skeeter Davis said she was there when they tore off his clothes in Jacksonville, Florida.
She also goes into a long story about leaving a note with Elvis in Las vegas in 1976, asking that
he help her with a benefit, and to call a pastor Sharp, in which she says Elvis did, because he called the pastor up on the phone at 4am asking how he could help.
She also talked about the Rex Humbard meeting and that she said that Elvis had a new TV special he was going to do that was similar to Aloha from Hawaii. I suppose that was Elvis in Concert, in that both of those shows were live concerts.

Another story came from a woman who never identified herself, and this DVD has no credits.
She said Bill Monroe was on stage singing “Blue moon of Kentucky” and Elvis asked her to dance.
So she danced with Elvis backstage, to the music of Bill Monroe , and then Elvis kissed her on the cheek.

This next guy was very interesting because how many people can claim they saw Elvis’ very first
Live show in Aug of 1954 at the Overton park shell in Memphis. Well Billy Walker was on the bill of that show, and he said he was so impressed by Elvis that he told Horace Logan that they need to get him on the hayride. He also went on to say that after Elvis got on the hayride the whole cast would go hang out at
Billy also touched on the Jan. 1955 tour he did with Elvis and said that Elvis had to close the show after the first night of the tour, because he couldn’t follow Elvis after that.

Pretty interesting stuff. Some of it may be a little inaccurate, but it mainly rang true.
The stuff on the other stars was very interesting too. Some funny stories as well.

Thanks for posting details about this obscure DVD.

It may be something that PBS has aired on occasion, as it sounds familiar. One of the things likely not mention was how rock 'n' roll in the 1950s killed the young country music audience; they all moved to acts like Elvis Presley. It's sad to realize that many on this DVD are no longer with us.

Some additional information about some of those memories:

- Presley likely saw Jeannie C. Riley's February 6, 1969 show at the Flamingo Hotel in Las Vegas.

Chicago Tribune - Thursday, Feb 20, 1969
ALL SHOOK UP - Jeannie C. Riley, that country-western doll ("Harper Valley PTA") back in town after her smash nightclub debut in Las Vegas, reports the only thing that really shook her up: Elvis Presley Swivel hips caught her Flamingo show then swiveled backstage and spent an hour with her in her dressing room.

It's odd she recalls worry over "Big Boss Man," as Elvis' RCA single B-side made Billboard U.S. Pop #38 on November 4, 1967, quite a while before. Maybe since Elvis sang a portion of it the previous December, on his spectacular NBC-TV special, it was in the forefront of her mind.

690206_wRiley_Flamingo_01.jpg
Elvis, Jeannie C. Riley
Thursday, February 6, 1969 [Possibly] - Flamingo Hotel, Las Vegas, NV

- Skeeter Davis was on the bill, as one of the Davis Sisters (Skeeter & Georgie), at the Jacksonville show on Friday, July 29, 1955, where all hell broke loose.

540000_Georgie and Skeeter Davis.JPG

See --> http://scottymoore.net/wolfson.html

The 1970s Vegas visit sounds credible, although it seems the only known Las Vegas show where Rex Humbard is introduced is from the 12-10-1975 DS, which is a year earlier than previously believed. Davis must have also attended this performance. The mention of a TV special seems peculiar, as the CBS Special was not in the works until more than a year later. Skeeter had retired from music in 1956, only to return as a very successful solo country artist starting a few years later. She passed away in September 2004, at the age of 72

- The unidentified lady is "Little Miss Dynamite," Brenda Lee, whose career began when she was just 10 years old.

Brenda Lee
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brenda_Lee

Interestingly, this photo, taken just ten days after Lee became a 13 year-old teenager, marked her debut on the Grand Ole Opry. Lee would hit it big by 1960, at the ripe old age of 16.

571221_w Brenda Lee_01.JPG

571221_w Brenda Lee_02.JPG

Brenda Lee, Elvis
Backstage at the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville
Saturday, December 21, 1957

She'd bump into him through the years, and cut a version of "Always On My Mind" around the same time Elvis did in the 1970s.

601100_w Brenda Lee.JPG

Elvis with Brenda Lee, outside 20th Century Fox Studios, Los Angeles - November 1960
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:42 am

Here is a better scan of the front and back of the 2005 DVD:

080805_Stories From The Golden Age_01.JPG

080805_Stories From The Golden Age_02.JPG

Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:07 am

Nice stories.......thanks for sharing.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:41 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ekenee wrote:I recently found a used DVD titled, “Stories from the golden age of Country music”.

Thanks for posting details about this obscure DVD.

It may be something that PBS has aired on occasion, as it sounds familiar. One of the things likely not mention was how rock 'n' roll in the 1950s killed the young country music audience; they all moved to acts like Elvis Presley. It's sad to realize that many on this DVD are no longer with us.

Some additional information about some of those memories:

- Presley likely saw Jeannie C. Riley's February 6, 1969 show at the Flamingo Hotel in Las Vegas.

Chicago Tribune - Thursday, Feb 20, 1969
ALL SHOOK UP - Jeannie C. Riley, that country-western doll ("Harper Valley PTA") back in town after her smash nightclub debut in Las Vegas, reports the only thing that really shook her up: Elvis Presley Swivel hips caught her Flamingo show then swiveled backstage and spent an hour with her in her dressing room.

It's odd she recalls worry over "Big Boss Man," as Elvis' RCA single B-side made Billboard U.S. Pop #38 on November 4, 1967, quite a while before. Maybe since Elvis sang a portion of it the previous December, on his spectacular NBC-TV special, it was in the forefront of her mind.

690206_wRiley_Flamingo_01.jpg
Elvis, Jeannie C. Riley
Thursday, February 6, 1969 [Possibly] - Flamingo Hotel, Las Vegas, NV

- Skeeter Davis was on the bill, as one of the Davis Sisters (Skeeter & Georgie), at the Jacksonville show on Friday, July 29, 1955, where all hell broke loose.

540000_Georgie and Skeeter Davis.JPG

See --> http://scottymoore.net/wolfson.html

The 1970s Vegas visit sounds credible, although it seems the only known Las Vegas show where Rex Humbard is introduced is from the 12-10-1975 DS, which is a year earlier than previously believed. Davis must have also attended this performance. The mention of a TV special seems peculiar, as the CBS Special was not in the works until more than a year later. Skeeter had retired from music in 1956, only to return as a very successful solo country artist starting a few years later. She passed away in September 2004, at the age of 72

- The unidentified lady is "Little Miss Dynamite," Brenda Lee, whose career began when she was just 10 years old.

Brenda Lee
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brenda_Lee

Interestingly, this photo, taken just ten days after Lee became a 13 year-old teenager, marked her debut on the Grand Ole Opry. Lee would hit it big by 1960, at the ripe old age of 16.

571221_w Brenda Lee_01.JPG

571221_w Brenda Lee_02.JPG

Brenda Lee, Elvis
Backstage at the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville
Saturday, December 21, 1957

She'd bump into him through the years, and cut a version of "Always On My Mind" around the same time Elvis did in the 1970s.

601100_w Brenda Lee.JPG

Elvis with Brenda Lee, outside 20th Century Fox Studios, Los Angeles - November 1960

Something I want to clear up.
The Rex HUmbard meeting and the other vegas meeting where he mentioned the TV special were 2 different time frames, that was difficult to
glean thru skeeters' ramblings. On the later, she didn't say 1976, I did, only because she said it was shortly before he died, so I assumed it was
vegas 76.
So, gleaning from that, she brought up the Rex H. story, but never claimed to be there or witness it. So she may have heard that second hand.
The story about Pastor Sharp was the one where she went to vegas and left him a note because he wasn't available, was probably Vegas 1976.
She didn't say who she left the note with.
Now I am confused with Skeeter's ramblings. She did say she visited with him and he brought up the TV special, but this could have been a third
time frame reference. Perhaps this was the meeting she had with him shortly before he died, ie. las vegas 1976?? One would have had to question her to clear up some of the
random memories she talked about. The date on this DVD is unknown as well.

Concerning the unidentified lady, it wasn't Brenda Lee, because I know who Brenda Lee is.
Looking at the pic of the Davis sisters, it's possible it could be Skeeters sister Georgie, but it's difficult to tell from that old picture.
This woman was older. But this woman and skeeter did sit together during this program.
If we can't figure it out I can post a screen grab.
Also, the only clue she gave as far as a date was that it was before Elvis met Priscilla. I just assumed it was perhaps 1957, Dec. show.
Was Bill Monroe on that bill? I don't know.

Now if it was the Georgie Davis who is speaking, could this have been Elvis' infamous appearance at the Opry on Oct. 2, 1954?
Was Bill Monroe there? and if so, would Elvis really sing "Blue moon of Kentucky" the same night Bill Monroe did?
I thought no way, so that is why I thought of the 1957 appearance.