Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Is the Set-list for 1969 a letdown?

Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:49 am

As Elvis make his famous TV-Special in 1968 he shows with lot of his classic recordings and some new ones that he is back and better than ever. It is a great statement that he had lost nothing.

For me the Set-list of his concerts from 1969 is still a little letdown. Why? He recorded in the American Studios some of the best work in his life. I think he must be proud of it and the Albums with the songs show him as a modern and adult performer. But I wonder why he doesn’t show it in a greater way in his program in Las Vegas.

Thinking about that I make an invented Concert that I wish I had seen at the time:

Intro
That’s All Right
Mystery Train/Tiger Man
Welcome Dialogue by Elvis
Wearin’ That Loved On Look
This Is The Story
Don’t Cry Daddy/In The Ghetto
Stranger In My Own Hometown
Reconsider Baby
Jailhouse Rock/Don’t Be Cruel
Power Of My Love
I’ll Hold You In My Heart (Elvis at the piano)
Little Sister/Baby What You Want Me To Do (Elvis at E-Guitar)
Life Dialogue (Much shorter)
Suspicious Minds (shorter)
Only The Strong Survive
Loving You (Kissing Tour)
I’m Movin’ On
If I Can Dream
Outro

Re: Is the Set-list for 1969 a letdown?

Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:07 am

I also think it's strange that the only song that survived from the American sound studio recordings was Suspicious Minds, the rest of them you wouldn't hear after 1970, with an occasional exception for In the Ghetto. It's like he processen it and went on. Even in 69 he borrowed so many other contemporary songs, instead of using his own records. Although I do like Words and Runaway, I could do without Yesterday and especially the Hey Jude bit. Stranger in my own home town might have been a cool opener. I think Elvis chose for the reassuring roar that he got when he sang an oldie.

Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:27 am

It is strange that more music from the American sessions did not make it to the set-list but remember, Elvis was returning to the concert stage for the 1st time in many years. There was great anticipation and expectation around the show. He delivered in spades a line-up that was inherently Elvis and inherently relevant. From an earlier discussion regarding FTD's Live In Vegas release I highlighted these observations:

01 Blue Suede Shoes - 1956, debut album opener.
02 I Got A Woman - 1956, a set-list staple. Elvis' first recording for RCA.
03 All Shook Up - 1957, #1 hit single.
04 Love Me Tender, 1956, #1 hit single.
05 Jailhouse Rock / Don't Be Cruel, 1957/1956, #1 hit singles.
06 Heartbreak Hotel, 1956, #1 hit single.
07 Hound Dog, 1956, #1 hit single.
08 Memories, 1968, NBC-TV Special, original material.
09 My Babe, 1969, new material.
10 Mystery Train / Tiger Man, 1955, b-side to Elvis' first #1 charting single/1968, new material NBC-TV Special.
11 Monologue.
12 Baby, What You Want Me To Do, 1968, NBC-TV Special.
13 Runaway, 1969, new material.
14 Inherit The Wind, 1969, new original material.
15 Yesterday / Hey Jude, 1969, new material.
16 Introductions.
17 In The Ghetto, 1969, #2 hit single, original material.
18 Suspicious Minds, 1969, uncharted at time of performance. Brand new single that would go on to hit #1.
19 Can’t Help Falling In Love, 1961, #1 hit single.

Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:59 am

I've read many times that Elvis simply decided to sing the songs he liked the most...Although, one has to take into account his absence in music and fans yearning to hear all his old material, and E deciding to fulfill this wish. It's a shame because Elvis was a very paranoid guy, he reacted off his fans. Even in tapes from 1976-77 you still hear audiences going wild for his early '56 material, not allowing him to move on. Then, of course, in August opening night 1974 he changed his set list dramatically and the next night - feeling the audience didn't take to it - went back to familiar set list. Having said that, what a show your set-list would have been Winston! Elvis was also close to preforming Green Green Grass Of Home - he practiced it throughout rehearsals in 1969 return but yet this never made it to the shows, what a shame! I think an important point is the set list seems disappointing in hindsight... Knowing he didn't change his set lists much at all.

The rarities I think I remember in his '69 concerts are / aside from the usual set lists. (That I've heard on soundboards)

Reconsider Baby - August 23, M/S
Inherit The Wind - August 26 D/S
This Is The Story - August 26 M/S
Words - August 24 M/S

There maybe more but everyone on here might know more than me! :)

Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:07 am

I love the 1969 setlist although maybe would have been nice to hear more songs from the just recorded sessions. I often wonder why Elvis didn't perform more of his big hits when performing. So many gems never sung live, even though he rehearsed some of them like 'She's not you' and 'I feel so bad'.

Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:06 pm

Winston wrote:Thinking about that I make an invented Concert that I wish I had seen at the time

Have you ever invented a 1976 concert while in the shower?

Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:10 pm

hopefully FTD finds soundboards for Love Me & One Night from 1969, as heard in very bad audience sound on a PA cd-r

Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:39 pm

Rob wrote: ... Have you ever invented a 1976 concert while in the shower? ...

No, but maybe sometime I do. :mrgreen:

Johnny2523 wrote: ... hopefully FTD finds soundboards for Love Me & One Night from 1969 ...

Yes, that where a real highlight for me in a new '69 release.

Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:16 pm

Winston wrote:As Elvis make his famous TV-Special in 1968 he shows with lot of his classic recordings and some new ones that he is back and better than ever. It is a great statement that he had lost nothing.

For me the Set-list of his concerts from 1969 is still a little letdown. Why? He recorded in the American Studios some of the best work in his life. I think he must be proud of it and the Albums with the songs show him as a modern and adult performer. But I wonder why he doesn’t show it in a greater way in his program in Las Vegas.

Thinking about that I make an invented Concert that I wish I had seen at the time:

Intro
That’s All Right
Mystery Train/Tiger Man
Welcome Dialogue by Elvis
Wearin’ That Loved On Look
This Is The Story
Don’t Cry Daddy/In The Ghetto
Stranger In My Own Hometown
Reconsider Baby
Jailhouse Rock/Don’t Be Cruel
Power Of My Love
I’ll Hold You In My Heart (Elvis at the piano)
Little Sister/Baby What You Want Me To Do (Elvis at E-Guitar)
Life Dialogue (Much shorter)
Suspicious Minds (shorter)
Only The Strong Survive
Loving You (Kissing Tour)
I’m Movin’ On
If I Can Dream
Outro

Elvis Preley's 1969 set lists are anything but a let-down.

For about the only time in his later career, the focus was on the songs that made him a worldwide, major recording star. He was reminding people why he was called "the King of Rock 'n' Roll." And those 1969 stage monologues are a revelation, Elvis telling the truth in public like never before (and never again), with humour, and more than a little bitterness. To suggest they be "much shorter" is akin to blasphemy.

Focusing on his own amazing body of work was something he should have continued to embrace as the years unfolded, as he had so many, many great hits. In addition, his career also included scores of studio gems on his various LPs and EPs that deserved to be performed. Instead, he chose to cover other people's standards, more and more. That remains an unfortunate fact.

It may also be said that Elvis greatly increased the number of American Sound recordings included in his show for gigs booked between January and March 1970, and those performances are perhaps the absolute pinnacle of his comeback, a totally valid artist performing chart-toppers of the past and present with energy, style and panache.

Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:23 pm

Matthew wrote:It is strange that more music from the American sessions did not make it to the set-list but remember, Elvis was returning to the concert stage for the 1st time in many years. There was great anticipation and expectation around the show. He delivered in spades a line-up that was inherently Elvis and inherently relevant. From an earlier discussion regarding FTD's Live In Vegas release I highlighted these observations:

10 Mystery Train / Tiger Man, 1955, b-side to Elvis' first #1 charting single/1968, new material NBC-TV Special.
11 Monologue.
16 Introductions.
18 Suspicious Minds, 1969, uncharted at time of performance. Brand new single that would go on to hit #1.

Very nice summation of what 1969 was all about.

Note that "Memories" was also a reasonable hit just a few months earlier:

Billboard U.S. Pop #35, April 12, 1969, CashBox Top 100 #24, April 26, 1969.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:18 am

I'm a huge fan of 1969, but if I were to tailor it to my own preference, it would look like this:

1. Wearing that Loved On Look
2. Medley: Heartbreak Hotel / Hound Dog / All Shook Up
3. After Loving You
4. That's All Right
5. Trying to Get to You
6. Medley: Jailhouse Rock / Don't Be Cruel
7. Power of My Love
8. Only the Strong Survive
9. Kentucky Rain
10. I Can't Stop Loving You
11. Are You Lonesome Tonight (alternating with It's Now or Never & Surrender)
12. Reconsider Baby
13. In the Ghetto
14. Medley: Little Sister / I Saw Her Standing There
15. Blue Suede Shoes (alternating with I Feel So Bad, His Latest Flame, Good Luck Charm, etc.)
16. True Love Travels on a Gravel Road
17. If I Can Dream
18. Suspicious Minds
19. Rubberneckin'
20. Can't Help Falling in Love

Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:17 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matthew wrote:It is strange that more music from the American sessions did not make it to the set-list but remember, Elvis was returning to the concert stage for the 1st time in many years. There was great anticipation and expectation around the show. He delivered in spades a line-up that was inherently Elvis and inherently relevant. From an earlier discussion regarding FTD's Live In Vegas release I highlighted these observations:

11 Monologue.
16 Introductions.

Very nice summation of what 1969 was all about.

Note that "Memories" was also a reasonable hit just a few months earlier:

Billboard U.S. Pop #35, April 12, 1969, Cash Box Top 100 #24, April 26, 1969.

I like your set list alot Mathew but the only thing i would change is that the opening song be the 1954 Version of That's All Right,still to this day my #1 favorite Elvis Song.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:28 am

Clay wrote:I like your set list alot Mathew but the only thing i would change is that the opening song be the 1954 Version of That's All Right,still to this day my #1 favorite Elvis Song.

It's not my setlist - it's Elvis' setlist, August 26, 1969, Dinner Show - as featured on FTD's Live In Vegas release.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:17 am

I can't imagine Elvis' first live show in 8 years opening with Wearin' That Loved On Look. He needed to do songs associated with him and that's what he did. Power Of My Love? Only The Strong Survive? Rubberneckin' ?? I like Elvis' set list much more.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:02 am

Matthew wrote:
Clay wrote:I like your set list alot Mathew but the only thing i would change is that the opening song be the 1954 Version of That's All Right,still to this day my #1 favorite Elvis Song.

It's not my setlist - it's Elvis' setlist, August 26, 1969, Dinner Show - as featured on FTD's Live In Vegas release.

alot of people moan about Elvis' setlist for 1969 then get a idea for what would be a great one not aware of that fact Elvis did use great songs in his shows, they were ELVIS PRESLEY hits.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:01 pm

memphisound wrote:
Matthew wrote:

alot of people moan about Elvis' setlist for 1969 then get a idea for what would be a great one not aware of that fact Elvis did use great songs in his shows, they were ELVIS PRESLEY hits.

And they were the same ELVIS PRESLEY hits, the following 8 years. And people are moaning why he did continue to perform those. Strange, 1969 it seems no problem, but later on it does.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:29 pm

He really ignored most of his 60's big hits throughout the concert years. Years of some fine material he could have performed including B sides.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:57 pm

elvis always stuck in his concerts to the hits like dont be cruel etc....but why did he never used other great hits .return to sender/ such a night more hits from his movies....i think he was the only performer who had so many great hits to perform

Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:17 pm

It would be interesting to know how Elvis and company went about deciding what songs would be in the show and what ones would not be. In one of Ernsts books he talked about how "Tommorrow Never Comes" was never sung live because it was too vocally demanding for Elvis. I would bet that the time constraints for his vegas shows had something to do with it. Some songs he just did not like. We may love some songs to death. But Elvis proabably did not feel the same way. maybe when they rehearsed some songs they didn't think they would work or sound good live. maybe elvis did not think fans would care about lesser known songs of his and only wanted the hits. which is very true with a lot of fans. Who knows.

I find Elvis's setlist for 1969 pretty uninteresting. i prefer setlists from later on. too many greatest 50's hits for my taste. not enough of his latest songs.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:50 pm

Winston wrote:
For me the Set-list of his concerts from 1969 is still a little letdown. Why? He recorded in the American Studios some of the best work in his life. I think he must be proud of it and the Albums with the songs show him as a modern and adult performer.

I believe Elvis and/or his crew never actually had a marketing POV we see today. If you look by the marketing side, it would be a great way to promote new songs - Suspicious Minds wasn't a hit when he began to sing it. That could have happened with others from the same session - same goes from further years. He could have included several studio songs from the 70's that were never performed live.

If you look back at Elvis shows during the 70's, he mostly always performed 2 or 3 songs from his recent albums. And it almost seeems like an obligation from the record company. I believe Elvis was afraid of missing the lyrics from these new songs and/or he afraid the audience would only want to listen to 50's hits (remember the problems with the '74 show where he sang a bunch of new songs and never did it again).

Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:55 pm

The thing about the opening night in 1974 has been blown out of proportion. At almost every opening night the setlist would be different from the rest of the engagement. and then he would alter things and have a more set lineup.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:44 pm

Elvisenna wrote: ... it would be a great way to promote new songs ... he afraid the audience would only want to listen to 50's hits ...

Maybe my impressions are wrong and I look to much from today on the times where Elvis perform. Maybe it was a different time. But I think when Elvis had the guts to perform most of the songs from his current albums and a little varied choice of his hits then the view of the critics was different. I think that this way has arrogate him as a performer. I don't understand the way Elvis and his crew goes with the concerts.

I think that the audience comes to his concerts to see the man and his image and not a great performer with a unique voice and talent. When the reason for his set-list is the fear to disappoint his audience then this a sad thing for me that clogged his evolution as a performer and artist. For me Elvis is no shadow of the King in the 50s.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:01 pm

Elvis was more of a singles artist than album artist and he was promoted as that by RCA.

The die hard Elvis fans would have been familar with album cuts from his LP's but the casual fans wouldn't they'd only know the greatest hits.

You'd be surprised how many people say that they are big Elvis fans but when you ask them about their favorite songs they say ''Hound dog'', or ''Blue suede shoes'' etc. and they don't even know half the songs he recorded.

For someone not born back then It might be hard to imagine now but back when Elvis was starting out all the rock/pop acts were singles artists and the music business was geared towards that.

Lots of singers that started out in the 1950s and 1960s were singles artists.

It was much more common for Elvis to sing his greatest hits and then popular songs from other artists than to sing a bunch of album cuts that most of his audience was unfamilar with.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:18 pm

ep2 wrote:elvis always stuck in his concerts to the hits like dont be cruel etc....but why did he never used other great hits .return to sender/ such a night more hits from his movies....i think he was the only performer who had so many great hits to perform

Maybe that was true in 1969, but here we are 40+ years later and many performers have a back catalog of hits and famous songs that they can spend 2 or more hours performing and some do, but we wont get into specifics.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:16 am

nevermind wrote:
memphisound wrote:
Matthew wrote:

And they were the same ELVIS PRESLEY hits, the following 8 years. And people are moaning why he did continue to perform those. Strange, 1969 it seems no problem, but later on it does.

If you don't see the difference between the 1969 performance of his classics compared to those from 1977 then I guess you are just trolling? Sorry, but I'd rather listen to the version Elvis is dedicated to and actually performing like he likes it, not half asleep just trying to get the hell outta there.