Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Why soundboards from 77 where recorded partially?

Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:11 pm

Does anybody know Why most of the soundboards from 77 where recorded partially?

::rocks

Re: Why soundboards from 77 where recorded partially?

Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:45 pm

The shows were almost identical..till the middle..when there was anything unexpected it was in the middle section or towards the end of the show....

Re: Why soundboards from 77 where recorded partially?

Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:57 pm

True, but it was predictable too in 1976, but the soundboards from that year are complete. And in 1975 they usually skipped the first tracks .


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Why soundboards from 77 where recorded partially?

Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:31 pm

Maybe you mean the 77 4-track pro tecordins from Feb-May?

Re: Why soundboards from 77 where recorded partially?

Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:57 pm

Ciscoking wrote:The shows were almost identical..till the middle..when there was anything unexpected it was in the middle section or towards the end of the show....

Why would that matter? Soundboards were not going to be used as sources for official album releases. And as pointed out, soundboards from 1975 and even 1976 also had missing portions from the beginning of shows.

Re: Why soundboards from 77 where recorded partially?

Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:03 pm

Even the sound engineers had their fill of the dive bomb routine.

Re: Why soundboards from 77 where recorded partially?

Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:12 pm

Engineers were busy at the beginning of each show tweaking in the sound to get it right once Elvis came on. This took two or three songs to do, so that was about the time the record button was hit. At times, the tape was shut off before Elvis actually left the stage because it was one less thing the engineers had to worry about at the end of the show.

Most of the time, only the beginning of the show was not recorded. There's not an abundance of soundboard tapes missing the ending as well.

Re: Why soundboards from 77 where recorded partially?

Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:23 pm

Ciscoking wrote:The shows were almost identical..till the middle..when there was anything unexpected it was in the middle section or towards the end of the show....


You are right. Those band introductions could be really different and exciting. Sometimes Ronnie went wild with those sticks.

Re: Why soundboards from 77 where recorded partially?

Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:44 pm

Why revive a 3,5 year old thread with a remark which is only to bait Ciscoking, Ken?

Re: Why soundboards from 77 where recorded partially?

Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:18 pm

Frank R. wrote:Why revive a 3,5 year old thread with a remark which is only to bait Ciscoking, Ken?



I would think the answer is that Elvis was typically unalert and in the haze until the meds woke him up say 3 songs in so why record.

I have been falsely accused of this when it was simply was clicking on the archive forum in error and reading something interesting. Still a good question. In the end why were they recorded at all? Was it a stream of income for the hangers on, Parker wanted them, etc?

Even though they document his serious decline and repetitive set list, we are fortunate to have them as part of the historical record.

Re: Why soundboards from 77 where recorded partially?

Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:44 pm

fn2drive wrote:
Frank R. wrote:Why revive a 3,5 year old thread with a remark which is only to bait Ciscoking, Ken?



I would think the answer is that Elvis was typically unalert and in the haze until the meds woke him up say 3 songs in so why record.

I have been falsely accused of this when it was simply was clicking on the archive forum in error and reading something interesting. Still a good question. In the end why were they recorded at all? Was it a stream of income for the hangers on, Parker wanted them, etc?

Even though they document his serious decline and repetitive set list, we are fortunate to have them as part of the historical record.


Cisco, never mind Kens below the belt comment.

fn2drive...there was basically 2 reasons why they recorded the shows. They were proof, should Elvis say or do something and for that be sued. It was also to have something to show a new musician, should they suddenly need one.

Re: Why soundboards from 77 where recorded partially?

Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:50 pm

Scarre wrote:
fn2drive wrote:
Frank R. wrote:Why revive a 3,5 year old thread with a remark which is only to bait Ciscoking, Ken?



I would think the answer is that Elvis was typically unalert and in the haze until the meds woke him up say 3 songs in so why record.

I have been falsely accused of this when it was simply was clicking on the archive forum in error and reading something interesting. Still a good question. In the end why were they recorded at all? Was it a stream of income for the hangers on, Parker wanted them, etc?

Even though they document his serious decline and repetitive set list, we are fortunate to have them as part of the historical record.


Cisco, never mind Kens below the belt comment.

fn2drive...there was basically 2 reasons why they recorded the shows. They were proof, should Elvis say or do something and for that be sued. It was also to have something to show a new musician, should they suddenly need one.


If they were recorded for "proof" of anything, it was to have a record of the songs performed, for royalty purposes.

And, as I've said in the past, some tapes were made from the house board and some from the stage board. The house board would tend to sound balanced, as that's the mix the audience was hearing.

Re: Why soundboards from 77 where recorded partially?

Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:15 pm

elvisjock wrote:
Scarre wrote:
fn2drive wrote:
Frank R. wrote:Why revive a 3,5 year old thread with a remark which is only to bait Ciscoking, Ken?



I would think the answer is that Elvis was typically unalert and in the haze until the meds woke him up say 3 songs in so why record.

I have been falsely accused of this when it was simply was clicking on the archive forum in error and reading something interesting. Still a good question. In the end why were they recorded at all? Was it a stream of income for the hangers on, Parker wanted them, etc?

Even though they document his serious decline and repetitive set list, we are fortunate to have them as part of the historical record.


Cisco, never mind Kens below the belt comment.

fn2drive...there was basically 2 reasons why they recorded the shows. They were proof, should Elvis say or do something and for that be sued. It was also to have something to show a new musician, should they suddenly need one.


If they were recorded for "proof" of anything, it was to have a record of the songs performed, for royalty purposes.

And, as I've said in the past, some tapes were made from the house board and some from the stage board. The house board would tend to sound balanced, as that's the mix the audience was hearing.


While this sounds logic, I've never heard Bill Porter, Bruce Jackson or any other engineer mentioning recordings done from the FOH board. In theory, it even means shows could have been recorded twice.

Re: Why soundboards from 77 where recorded partially?

Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:58 pm

Scarre wrote:fn2drive...there was basically 2 reasons why they recorded the shows. They were proof, should Elvis say or do something and for that be sued. It was also to have something to show a new musician, should they suddenly need one.

Well, that is one theory, allegedly put into practice circa 1974. The fundamental flaw with it is that neither Tom Parker nor anyone else associated with his operation, whether it be Diskin or Divorian, collected all soundboards from that point forward. If Parker instructed concerts be recorded as evidence and security and handed over for safe-keeping, who would defy his orders? Bruce Jackson allegedly had some choice soundboards in his possession, and if he was instructed to record shows on behalf of management, why would he have not turned over the tapes to Tom Parker? So, did he just hold on to the tapes until someone came to ask for them? In some instances when Diskin, Divorian, or whoever did not show up, Jackson just kept them? That seems unlikely. Of course, Jackson could have made copies of certain shows for himself, if he had the time and inclination to copy what were mostly mediocre concerts circa 1974-1977. Certain tours are missing from the archives, and certain, highly sought-after shows are missing. Granted, Tom Parker sold his soundboard collection to RCA (twice), and clearly certain tapes and/or tours could have been absconded once they were in RCA's possession.

Now, with regard to the early 1970's concerts, it is unclear as to why they were recorded, if the sound engineers were instructed to record, and how many shows/tours were recorded because so much is missing. Were shows recorded inconsistently, or were entire tours and casino engagements recorded like they were during the 1974-1977 period?

Re: Why soundboards from 77 where recorded partially?

Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:03 pm

Ken Jensen ..you have the FTD vaults..cause you stated that 10% of the SBs FTD has are from 1969 till 1973..I already asked 5 times...I think..or where does this info stem from..just curious.. Ken Jensen