Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

"Writing For The King"/"Fashion For A King"

Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:59 pm

Does anybody care to speculate as to whether the CD's which came with either of these titles will ever be reissued without the books? In the past, FTD has reissued the discs that came with the books for "The Way It Was", "Live In LA" and "Rockin' In Texas", but the bigger question seems to be whether the original book/CD combos were sought out for the books/photos/info or for the CDs/music.

Re: "Writing For The King"/"Fashion For A King"

Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:29 pm

The books came out for the content and not for the CDs. They are always a bonus. IMO the CDs come as standalone in some time.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:38 pm

Hank wrote:Does anybody care to speculate as to whether the CD's which came with either of these titles will ever be reissued without the books? In the past, FTD has reissued the discs that came with the books for "The Way It Was", "Live In LA" and "Rockin' In Texas", but the bigger question seems to be whether the original book/CD combos were sought out for the books/photos/info or for the CDs/music.

The book was the primary part of each project, but inclusion of a CD or two was essential in order to get them published.

Sadly, even fans who follow FTD will not buy a book unless a CD is involved. No one likes to read anymore, it seems.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:57 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Sadly, even fans who follow FTD will not buy a book unless a CD is involved. No one likes to read anymore, it seems.

Weren't a few of the FTD books supposed to be a kind of multi-media experience thing, in as much as stick the CD on and flick through the pictures to get a taste of... something? I got the King Creole combo and the text wasn't exactly something to get your teeth into, however, the remastered audio was the main reason I got that particular title.
I hope they do release them seperately, I can't always justify the expense of the books so tend to skip them... with the exception of 'A Boy from Tupelo'!!
Last edited by When In Rome on Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:32 am

I do hope FTD reissues the shows from Fashion For A King.

I purchased Writing For The King, so I won't need those discs.

Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:54 am

While I cannot say for sure IF the FTD label will re-release the CD's without the book, IMHO, the book is well worth the purchase on its own. For me, the CD's were just an added bonus.

rlj

Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:10 am

I always like to buy the stand alone cds. I hope they do release them. For some the book prices are just to much, the stand alone cds are more manageable.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:36 pm

I don't want to badmouth a book that I've never actually studied, but CDs fuel my primary collecting impulse. I have two FTD books--the Tupelo book and the Flashback book--and they're both fine, but I'll go back to the discs many more times than the books.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:14 pm

I buy them all because I am a completist. So the original book/cd combo's as well as the stand-alone cd reissues, AND the different pressings/variations...
The stand-alone cd reissues and the subsequent re-pressings (with small variations) etc. of course remain sealed. I only remove the seal when there is new music to be heard. :smt001

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:25 pm

The live shows from "Fashion For A King" are as forgettable as the "Rockin' Across Texas" shows were. If they are made affordably available separate from the books, certainly fans will need to consider acquiring them for completest purposes; but they are not great shows by any standard.