Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

PHOTOS OF ELVIS PLAYING FOOTBALL IN THE 1950s

Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:39 pm

I'M NOT SURE OF THE YEAR AND DAY THESE WERE TAKEN,BUT I'M GUESSING 1957

Re: PHOTOS OF ELVIS PLAYING FOOTBALL IN THE 1950s

Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:21 pm

Ricky Nelson once said that Elvis had invited him to a game of football, and Ricky expected a friendly match, but it turned out that Elvis took the game extremely serious. As can be seen in these pictures (dated december 1956 btw).

Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:43 pm

Brilliant photo's, thanks for posting Clay.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:45 pm

Clay wrote:I'M NOT SURE OF THE YEAR AND DAY THESE WERE TAKEN,BUT I'M GUESSING 1957

These are all taken by Memphis Commercial Appeal photographer Barney Sellers at the Dave Wells Community Center on Thursday, December 27, 1956. As reported at the time:

Several hundred people watched the singer pass, kick and run a touchdown. Elvis's first movie, "Love Me Tender", in which he performed several songs, had premiered November 15th in New York City. The movie opened Thanksgiving Eve (Nov. 21, 1956) at Loew's State Theatre in Memphis. On Sunday January 6, 1957, Elvis would make his third and final appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show. In between the football game and the Sullivan appearance, he reported for his pre-induction Army physical January 4th.

See more of the work of the great Barney Sellers here:

Barney Sellers: Recording Local History
http://www.commercialappeal.com/photos/galleries/barney-sellers-recording-local-history/47396/

Barney Sellers.JPG

Sellers worked from 1952 to 1988 at the paper. Sadly, he passed away on Monday, January 2, 2012, at the age of 85:

Affable Memphis photographer Barney Sellers was skilled with cameras and people
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2012/jan/02/affable-memphis-photographer-barney-sellers-was-sk/

Note: The misdate on the first image file name is because it comes from an Elvis website that steals photos and content, and reformats the photos (often adding the wrong date) in the process. They suck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:57 pm

These were also in the magazine 16

Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:44 pm

stranger wrote:These were also in the magazine 16

HEY Stranger,thanx for posting this Mag,that is so cool. 8)