Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Ever tire of the jumpsuits?

Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:07 pm

LAURAW wrote:Just one more thing. I have read repeatedly that by '77 Elvis just didn't care how he looked any more. I don't believe that. If that were true he wouldn't have been so concerned about his weight gain. It has been said that he never stopped stopped looking in the mirror. It must have been agonizing for him to be publicly mocked for his appearance. White, tight jumpsuits add pounds to everyone.

He cared, but he also had people surrounding him who always told him he looked "great," even in 1977.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:40 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote: ... but he also had people surrounding him who always told him he looked "great," even in 1977 ...

Do not pay them and they do not say that.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:07 pm

LAURAW wrote:Just one more thing. I have read repeatedly that by '77 Elvis just didn't care how he looked any more. I don't believe that. If that were true he wouldn't have been so concerned about his weight gain. It has been said that he never stopped stopped looking in the mirror. It must have been agonizing for him to be publicly mocked for his appearance. White, tight jumpsuits add pounds to everyone.

I don't think he didn't care anymore, it was probably just too embarrassing and depressing to him be measured for new suits. In the last couple of years, he practically only wore track suits off stage.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:25 pm

elvis-fan wrote:This was Elvis' best stage attire... in the 70's

As these examples above show, Elvis wore several non-jumpsuit outfits and they looked great on him. There were these suits in 72 which had a jacket with them ; Of course the 2 piece suits of 69; The 3 piece Cisco Kid suits of 71 and the Jacket suits of 75. BTW, the 1975 suits were jumpsuits under the jackets with a shirt under them. They were designed to have a belt and he was supposed to take the jacket off but probably because of his weight he didn't wear the belts and kept the jackets on.

http://www.silvesters-elvis-page.at/j141-01.html

This website has a great index of all of Elvis's stage suits:

http://www.silvesters-elvis-page.at/wardrobe.html

Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:28 pm

I like a lot of them,..some are really a piece of art.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:15 am

Let's not forget the jumpsuits Elvis wore as a mechanic and/or race car driver in some of his movies. :wink:

Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:37 am

I like the early ones, but from July 1975 on they took a bad turn.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:46 am

elvisa wrote:I like a lot of them,..some are really a piece of art.

Some are really a piece of ... something. ;-)

Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:48 am

Winston wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote: ... but he also had people surrounding him who always told him he looked "great," even in 1977 ...

Elvis actually did indeed have an "Emperor's New Clothes" effect on people who never received a penny from him.

Many members of this forum prove this. ;-)

Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:09 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Winston wrote:

Elvis actually did indeed have an "Emperor's New Clothes" effect on people who never received a penny from him.

Sometimes that "Emperor's New Clothes" effect on people was kind of touching as revealed by this 2005 quote from Myrna Smith regarding EIC:

Yeah. When they did that special I thought Elvis looked great. When you're around somebody a lot, you don't notice that they've put on weight. Plus I had seen him heavy before and he lost it. But, he had been so much heavier before that, so when I saw him I thought he looked fabulous. Jerry called me after we had done the taping and said, 'Well how did Elvis look?' I said, 'He looked great'. And then when I saw the show after Elvis died, I went like 'Oh, my God. He didn't look like that to me'. But, y'know, when you love somebody I guess, you know, you want them to look good, so they do.

I personally could not bear to watch EIC again but I think Myrna's quote is quite moving. She may have had her blinders on but I don't think she was a yes-person like others in Elvis' circle; she truly loved Elvis.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:14 am

Blue River wrote:Let's not forget the jumpsuits Elvis wore as a mechanic and/or race car driver in some of his movies. :wink:

Those are actually called "coveralls"... so technically they were't jumpsuits... :P :wink:

Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:17 am

No. But then again, I like Elvis' attire from the beginning to the end.

However, impersonators or ETA's or whatever they are called who wear jumpsuits should be shot.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:12 am

elvis-fan wrote:This was Elvis' best stage attire... in the 70's

Now, that is cool! He looks great with the shirt and trousers.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:34 pm

eligain wrote:There were these suits in 72 which had a jacket with them...

IMO he didn't need the jacket... the shirts he wore were fantastic (for the time period). There's so much more that could have been done with his wardrobe had his designers had a little more imagination... :(

Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:54 pm

Always !!!

Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:17 am

InheritTheWind wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Winston wrote:

Sometimes that "Emperor's New Clothes" effect on people was kind of touching as revealed by this 2005 quote from Myrna Smith regarding EIC:

Yeah. When they did that special I thought Elvis looked great. When you're around somebody a lot, you don't notice that they've put on weight. Plus I had seen him heavy before and he lost it. But, he had been so much heavier before that, so when I saw him I thought he looked fabulous. Jerry called me after we had done the taping and said, 'Well how did Elvis look?' I said, 'He looked great'. And then when I saw the show after Elvis died, I went like 'Oh, my God. He didn't look like that to me'. But, y'know, when you love somebody I guess, you know, you want them to look good, so they do.

I personally could not bear to watch EIC again but I think Myrna's quote is quite moving. She may have had her blinders on but I don't think she was a yes-person like others in Elvis' circle; she truly loved Elvis.

What she says is really true about someone you love and that you are around a lot. You just don't notice the changes as much. Before my Dad passed away he was admitted to a care facility that took his picture at his admittance. After he died they gave me his papers and I was shocked at how bad he looked in that picture. I was there with him everyday but I couldn't see it until I saw that picture.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:17 pm

skatterbrane wrote:I loathe the jumpsuits, always have. I rather liked the Karate style suits from the Aug 69 engagement. The jumpsuits were so tasteless.

how can you loathe them?
this was a part of him and it made his image grow
you don,t have to like every suit i don,t
but i sure do like them
loathe is a harshe word i think for this
jan

Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:11 pm

swagers wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:I loathe the jumpsuits, always have. I rather liked the Karate style suits from the Aug 69 engagement. The jumpsuits were so tasteless.

how can you loathe them?
this was a part of him and it made his image grow
you don,t have to like every suit i don,t
but i sure do like them
loathe is a harshe word i think for this
jan

The dark two-piece suits from the 1969 engagement were timeless; they could be worn today and still look good. The jumpsuits, however, are hopelessly dated.

But I have to say that when I saw the jumpsuits in person at Graceland they took my breath away. As iconic pieces they're amazing. And kind of beautiful.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:13 pm

eligain wrote:
InheritTheWind wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Winston wrote:

What she says is really true about someone you love and that you are around a lot. You just don't notice the changes as much. Before my Dad passed away he was admitted to a care facility that took his picture at his admittance. After he died they gave me his papers and I was shocked at how bad he looked in that picture. I was there with him everyday but I couldn't see it until I saw that picture.

The same thing happened with my dad. That's why I thought Myrna's words were particularly touching. Unlike a lot of people in Elvis' circle she had no ulterior motive; she truly loved him.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:57 pm

I have wondered what Bill Belew was thinking when he designed the more garish ones. Were they Mr. Belew's idea, or did Elvis request that type of design? Never seen it discussed.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:30 pm

LAURAW wrote:I have wondered what Bill Belew was thinking when he designed the more garish ones. Were they Mr. Belew's idea, or did Elvis request that type of design? Never seen it discussed.

Elvis kept asking for more and more, and Bill obliged.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:02 pm

paulsweeney wrote:... impersonators or ETA's or whatever they are called who wear jumpsuits should be shot.

No, Paul... c'mon now!

How 'bout a good ol' fashioned pistol-whipping instead? smt179

Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:07 am

eligain wrote:

I don't think he didn't care anymore, it was probably just too embarrassing and depressing to him be measured for new suits. In the last couple of years, he practically only wore track suits off stage.

I've changed my mind. I don't think he cared anymore either because of his depression or his drug dependency. I don't know how far in advance his tours were booked but I can't believe if he was sober or cared, he would have allowed himself on stage looking like he did. You would think his ego and pride would have made him work out and slim down before taking the stage anywhere.

Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:23 am

Now we are saying about the jumpsuits...but if he died in 1986 and stopped with the jumpsuits 1983 nobody made a problem of it.....it was the seventies....Tom Jones had the same outfit from 1970 till 1986.......

Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:02 am

ep2 wrote:Now we are saying about the jumpsuits...but if he died in 1986 and stopped with the jumpsuits 1983 nobody made a problem of it.....it was the seventies....Tom Jones had the same outfit from 1970 till 1986.......

When did Tom Jones wear these outfits?

770502_Chicago.jpg

770212_Hollywood.jpg

760606_Atlanta.jpg

750721_Greensboro.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.