Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Ever tire of the jumpsuits?

Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:56 pm

I use,d to be a very 'anti-jumpsuit' Elvis fan, but over the years I have come to appreciate the beauty of many of them. Sometimes though, when I watch Elvis from the Vegas years I wish Elvis would have occasionally worn, I don't know, some...pants or something! I know he loved the Aloha suit but I think it distracts from his performance. I noticed how fantastic James Burton looked in his simple white shirt and pants. Elvis would have looked so great if he had worn something similar. Anyone else feel like that?

Re: Ever tire of the jumpsuits?

Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:12 pm

I am a jumpsuit junkie :wink:

Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:20 pm

I have a great fondness for most of the jumpsuits

Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:21 pm

After 1973, the aura of them turned to ridicule for many of us longtime fans. They got silly (peacock, flames, tiger, gypsy) and should have been retired. A new look was needed.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:42 pm

They do tend to chaffe in bed!
Nah, just kidding! I like them, all part of the times. I mean I'm no jumpsuit expert at all. I do think its easy to forget that at the time it wasn't just Elvis who wore them as stage attire. Saying that, I do think that two piece suit thing was particularly smart yet casual...

Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:57 pm

I started out as a "Jumpsuit Junkie" but that was then, this is now.

I think the look suited Elvis in 1970, with the more simple, elegant designs.

Most of the later ones are pretty hideous with all those sequins and crap, but it was the decade that fashion forgot - wide lapels, kipper ties and flares.

Elvis' best stage attire of the 70s was when he kept it simple with the shirts and trousers combo in 1972.

And the phoenix outfits looked quite good in 74 - 75.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:08 pm

i,m still a jumpsuit junkie
and that will never go away
okay some of they suits i don,t like but most
of them are still looking good to me
jan

Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:08 pm

They were stunning! What more can I say about them... :shock:

Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:20 pm

In hindsight, he would have been better off sticking with the two-piece look, as he did in early '75. At that time, his face and belly were quite swollen, but the outfits served him well.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:26 pm

I really like most of the 1970 ones, my favourite being the Concha Suit which is quite stunning and simple, but classy looking.

I don't like ANY of the colour ones - I think they're hideous - the Burning Love Suit, Owl Suit etc. And I hate all the black jumpsuits.

Some of the 1971-72 suits are great too with my favourites including the Red Lion, Pyramid and the Spectrum.

I don't like the Aloha suit or any of the 1973 ones. I like The Sundial which was aired in 74 and looked stunning at the time. And I'd say the White Suit with black Phoenix (Pittsburgh) is the last one I really like.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:53 pm

This was Elvis' best stage attire... in the 70's
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:09 pm

Once he got to the jackets in March 1975, he should have stayed with that look, or something of the likes. However, I was fine with the jumpsuits until that point.

That said, my favorite stage attire he ever wore was that of August 1972.
Last edited by Rob on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:27 pm

LAURAW wrote:I use,d to be a very 'anti-jumpsuit' Elvis fan, but over the years I have come to appreciate the beauty of many of them. Sometimes though, when I watch Elvis from the Vegas years I wish Elvis would have occasionally worn, I don't know, some...pants or something! I know he loved the Aloha suit but I think it distracts from his performance. I noticed how fantastic James Burton looked in his simple white shirt and pants. Elvis would have looked so great if he had worn something similar. Anyone else feel like that?

Elvis was once asked by Beatle George Harrison why he wore the suits and didn't just wear casual clothes. Elvis' answer "because then I would be just like everyone else". He wanted to be unique and different. That was how he was in high school and to the day he passed. Look at Michael Jackson. You never saw him dress casual anywhere. Like Elvis, he always had a costumed wardrobe.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:29 pm

elvis-fan wrote:This was Elvis' best stage attire... in the 70's

I do agree it was his best attire. Even in that outfit it still had the Elvisy about it which he should have stayed with.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:39 pm

elvis-fan wrote:This was Elvis' best stage attire... in the 70's

i like the pictures
they black and white is not none by me
strange shirt he has on this outfit
don not recollect ever seen this shirt on this suit
every time we see something new
verry nice
thanks jan

Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:27 pm

I loathe the jumpsuits, always have. I rather liked the Karate style suits from the Aug 69 engagement. The jumpsuits were so tasteless.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:27 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:Elvis was once asked by Beatle George Harrison why he wore the suits and didn't just wear casual clothes. Elvis' answer "because then I would be just like everyone else".

Elvis spoke to George Harrison after 1965?

Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:28 pm

Nope. Love 'em. In fact Elvis wasn't the only one that wore jumpsuits on stage. Although I'm really fond of Marty Robbins and his music I found it quite disturbing he also wore jumpsuits on stage. Looked quite funny on that skinny guy. :mrgreen:

Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:34 pm

The early 70's jumpsuits were fantastic and Elvis never looked better. I also loved the capes. Elvis was just reinforcing his title of KING.

Brian

Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:48 pm

I don't like the one on the cover of TTWII (Concha?), Cisco Kid or the ones he wore in On Tour, Bicentennial Suit(s) and that leather one from 1974. Also the Rainbow one was not so great. Some other ones are too heavily laden with stones. However, I like Dragon and Tiger (1974), Aztec and Gypsy (1975, in 1976 it didn't look so good anymore), Indian Feather and many others.

Needless to say, all of them except his stagewear from 1969 were quite tacky. But they wear unique and inspired a whole generation of musicians, who copied his style (e.g. Abba, Queen). My favourite are shirts & pants (1972) but later it wouldn't have worked so well anymore. Also, some of his tw-piece suits were pretty good (1975).

Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:56 pm

I could not say! Sometime I been tired of them, yes. But when I see "Aloha" then I think most of them look great. :smt007

Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:23 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:Elvis was once asked by Beatle George Harrison why he wore the suits and didn't just wear casual clothes. Elvis' answer "because then I would be just like everyone else".

Elvis spoke to George Harrison after 1965?

They met again at MSG in '72.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:37 pm

londonflash wrote:I started out as a "Jumpsuit Junkie" but that was then, this is now.

I think the look suited Elvis in 1970, with the more simple, elegant designs.

Most of the later ones are pretty hideous with all those sequins and crap, but it was the decade that fashion forgot - wide lapels, kipper ties and flares.

Elvis' best stage attire of the 70s was when he kept it simple with the shirts and trousers combo in 1972.

And the phoenix outfits looked quite good in 74 - 75.

agree 100%, when he went into the shirts/trousers.....he should have stayed with them.....

Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:41 pm

LAURAW wrote:I use,d to be a very 'anti-jumpsuit' Elvis fan, but over the years I have come to appreciate the beauty of many of them. Sometimes though, when I watch Elvis from the Vegas years I wish Elvis would have occasionally worn, I don't know, some...pants or something! I know he loved the Aloha suit but I think it distracts from his performance. I noticed how fantastic James Burton looked in his simple white shirt and pants. Elvis would have looked so great if he had worn something similar. Anyone else feel like that?

Ever? Yes.

But you can't change history.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:02 pm

Just one more thing. I have read repeatedly that by '77 Elvis just didn't care how he looked any more. I don't believe that. If that were true he wouldn't have been so concerned about his weight gain. It has been said that he never stopped stopped looking in the mirror. It must have been agonizing for him to be publicly mocked for his appearance. White, tight jumpsuits add pounds to everyone.