Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Proof that Elvis could still move an audience in 1975

Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:59 am

memphisound wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
ekenee wrote:Some young people though, have the arrogance to think that the only good music is the music
that is currently out. That is a narrow way of thinking though.


What do you imagine young people thought in 1956? Or 1964? Or 1977? Or 1984? Or 1999?

I agree with you here but shew i don't know about the music scene right this moment.
The new stars that are making headlines, just can't get into none of it.


Even today I find artists that I like.
Beyonce'
Kelly Clarkson
Jewel
Shania Twain
to name a few.

But I see what you mean........but like any other generation, there is a lot of crap you have to weed thru.

More so now, because there are more record companies, and more artists out there to check out.

I think today because the bar has dropped so much, the good ones actually stand out more.

Re: Proof that Elvis could still move an audience in 1975

Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:11 am

ekenee wrote:
Even today I find artists that I like.
Beyonce'
Kelly Clarkson
Jewel
Shania Twain
to name a few.



Care to name a few more? From the looks of that list you haven't heard any new music since the year 2000.

Re: Proof that Elvis could still move an audience in 1975

Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:12 am

Here's the full review from the Jackson Newspaper on May 6, 1975. Notice the highlighted section. :wink:

CONCERT DATE: May 5, 1975 (8:30 pm) Jackson, MS. State Fair Coliseum
Elvis Nets $108,860 For Victims Of Tornado
UPI
Delta Democrat-Times
May 6, 1975
JACKSON (UPI) Elvis Presley returned to his native state for a benefit performance Monday night and received a thunderous reception from more than 10,000 fans who packed the Mississippi Coliseum.

The 40 years old Tupelo native, a little heavier now but dazzling in a baby blue casual suit and dark blue shirt, strode onto the stage amid cheers and screams and immediately opened with his version of "CC Rider"

He wore blue and white scarves, alternating between the colors as he paused occasionally between songs and tossed them out to the crowd.

The audience was a mixture of all ages but fans in their 20s and 30s seemed to predominate. another 200 or so fans crowded around coliseum doors and windows on the outside trying to catch a glimpse of the super star who hit the big time two decades ago with his shaking rock 'n' roll renditions.

Elvis met with Gov. Bill Waller and other officials backstage prior to his performance and presented the governor with a check for $108,860 from ticket sales that will go to benefit victims of a devastating tornado that ripped through the McComb area of South Mississippi earlier this year. Officials predicted the figure would go much higher when the receipts are in from concessions and the sale of Elvis pictures.

Waller presented the check in turn to McComb Mayor Johnny Thompson and Pike County Board of Supervisors President Sam Alford. Thompson expressed appreciation from the people of McComb for his "most unusual and magnanimous gesture."

State Rep. William Guy of McComb also presented the entertainer during the backstage ceremony with a copy of a resolution passed by the 1975 Mississippi Legislature thanking Elvis for staging the benefit performance, his first public appearance in Mississippi in many years.

"This compassionate gesture of concern is appreciated by all Mississippians," the resolution stated.

Waller called it an "historic occasion" and commended Elvis for the personal donation of time and money. Elvis even picked up his own expenses for the trip.

Mrs. Waller, who also was backstage, said Elvis was "very friendly and surprisingly shy."

The local Elvis Presley Fan Club, consisting of about 40 members, decorated the Coliseum with red carpet, signs and balloons carrying such slogans as "Mississippi has Elvis fever" and other frills a "Welcome Home Elvis" banner draped a sign in front of a motel just across the street from the coliseum.

"I organized the club to share my love of Elvis with Mississippians and to bring him a little closer to them," said Elisabeth Hill, president of the fan club.

Re: Proof that Elvis could still move an audience in 1975

Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:19 am

You seem focused on trying to prove that Elvis wasn't a drug addled has been by 1975. No doubt through much of 75 other than being grossly overweight for a star of his caliber he wasn't a daily train wreck like most of 76 and 77. By this point he was a curiosity that still drew crowds and his very loyal fan base but he squandered his come back which essentially ended sometime in 72 though many would say as early as late 70 perhaps Nov 71. Aloha was a disappointment to NBC and drew poor ratings when repeated. Basically he was a big concert draw but ceased to be a cultural force and starting in 75 became a cultural joke. Until the drugs completely took over his life, he could still muster the strength to rise to the occasion at times. But to be clear, by 1975 Elvis had checked out-it was all inertia.

Re: Proof that Elvis could still move an audience in 1975

Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:20 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:Here's the full review from the Jackson Newspaper on May 6, 1975. Notice the highlighted section. :wink:

CONCERT DATE: May 5, 1975 (8:30 pm) Jackson, MS. State Fair Coliseum
Elvis Nets $108,860 For Victims Of Tornado
UPI
Delta Democrat-Times
May 6, 1975
JACKSON (UPI) Elvis Presley returned to his native state for a benefit performance Monday night and received a thunderous reception from more than 10,000 fans who packed the Mississippi Coliseum.

The 40 years old Tupelo native, a little heavier now but dazzling in a baby blue casual suit and dark blue shirt, strode onto the stage amid cheers and screams and immediately opened with his version of "CC Rider"

He wore blue and white scarves, alternating between the colors as he paused occasionally between songs and tossed them out to the crowd.

The audience was a mixture of all ages but fans in their 20s and 30s seemed to predominate. another 200 or so fans crowded around coliseum doors and windows on the outside trying to catch a glimpse of the super star who hit the big time two decades ago with his shaking rock 'n' roll renditions.

Elvis met with Gov. Bill Waller and other officials backstage prior to his performance and presented the governor with a check for $108,860 from ticket sales that will go to benefit victims of a devastating tornado that ripped through the McComb area of South Mississippi earlier this year. Officials predicted the figure would go much higher when the receipts are in from concessions and the sale of Elvis pictures.

Waller presented the check in turn to McComb Mayor Johnny Thompson and Pike County Board of Supervisors President Sam Alford. Thompson expressed appreciation from the people of McComb for his "most unusual and magnanimous gesture."

State Rep. William Guy of McComb also presented the entertainer during the backstage ceremony with a copy of a resolution passed by the 1975 Mississippi Legislature thanking Elvis for staging the benefit performance, his first public appearance in Mississippi in many years.

"This compassionate gesture of concern is appreciated by all Mississippians," the resolution stated.

Waller called it an "historic occasion" and commended Elvis for the personal donation of time and money. Elvis even picked up his own expenses for the trip.

Mrs. Waller, who also was backstage, said Elvis was "very friendly and surprisingly shy."

The local Elvis Presley Fan Club, consisting of about 40 members, decorated the Coliseum with red carpet, signs and balloons carrying such slogans as "Mississippi has Elvis fever" and other frills a "Welcome Home Elvis" banner draped a sign in front of a motel just across the street from the coliseum.

"I organized the club to share my love of Elvis with Mississippians and to bring him a little closer to them," said Elisabeth Hill, president of the fan club.




so what? earlier in this thread you made the claim that teenagers were prevalent Elvis's performances. everyone here already agreed the women present at the shows were in their 30's. have you already forgotten what you're arguing for?

Re: Proof that Elvis could still move an audience in 1975

Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:50 am

Justin wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:Here's the full review from the Jackson Newspaper on May 6, 1975. Notice the highlighted section. :wink:

CONCERT DATE: May 5, 1975 (8:30 pm) Jackson, MS. State Fair Coliseum
Elvis Nets $108,860 For Victims Of Tornado
UPI
Delta Democrat-Times
May 6, 1975
JACKSON (UPI) Elvis Presley returned to his native state for a benefit performance Monday night and received a thunderous reception from more than 10,000 fans who packed the Mississippi Coliseum.

The 40 years old Tupelo native, a little heavier now but dazzling in a baby blue casual suit and dark blue shirt, strode onto the stage amid cheers and screams and immediately opened with his version of "CC Rider"

He wore blue and white scarves, alternating between the colors as he paused occasionally between songs and tossed them out to the crowd.

The audience was a mixture of all ages but fans in their 20s and 30s seemed to predominate. another 200 or so fans crowded around coliseum doors and windows on the outside trying to catch a glimpse of the super star who hit the big time two decades ago with his shaking rock 'n' roll renditions.

Elvis met with Gov. Bill Waller and other officials backstage prior to his performance and presented the governor with a check for $108,860 from ticket sales that will go to benefit victims of a devastating tornado that ripped through the McComb area of South Mississippi earlier this year. Officials predicted the figure would go much higher when the receipts are in from concessions and the sale of Elvis pictures.

Waller presented the check in turn to McComb Mayor Johnny Thompson and Pike County Board of Supervisors President Sam Alford. Thompson expressed appreciation from the people of McComb for his "most unusual and magnanimous gesture."

State Rep. William Guy of McComb also presented the entertainer during the backstage ceremony with a copy of a resolution passed by the 1975 Mississippi Legislature thanking Elvis for staging the benefit performance, his first public appearance in Mississippi in many years.

"This compassionate gesture of concern is appreciated by all Mississippians," the resolution stated.

Waller called it an "historic occasion" and commended Elvis for the personal donation of time and money. Elvis even picked up his own expenses for the trip.

Mrs. Waller, who also was backstage, said Elvis was "very friendly and surprisingly shy."

The local Elvis Presley Fan Club, consisting of about 40 members, decorated the Coliseum with red carpet, signs and balloons carrying such slogans as "Mississippi has Elvis fever" and other frills a "Welcome Home Elvis" banner draped a sign in front of a motel just across the street from the coliseum.

"I organized the club to share my love of Elvis with Mississippians and to bring him a little closer to them," said Elisabeth Hill, president of the fan club.




so what? earlier in this thread you made the claim that teenagers were prevalent Elvis's performances. everyone here already agreed the women present at the shows were in their 30's. have you already forgotten what you're arguing for?


Really ?? I even highlighted the sentence where it says 20 somethings. and you still argue about it.

Re: Proof that Elvis could still move an audience in 1975

Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:52 am

fn2drive wrote:You seem focused on trying to prove that Elvis wasn't a drug addled has been by 1975. No doubt through much of 75 other than being grossly overweight for a star of his caliber he wasn't a daily train wreck like most of 76 and 77. By this point he was a curiosity that still drew crowds and his very loyal fan base but he squandered his come back which essentially ended sometime in 72 though many would say as early as late 70 perhaps Nov 71. Aloha was a disappointment to NBC and drew poor ratings when repeated. Basically he was a big concert draw but ceased to be a cultural force and starting in 75 became a cultural joke. Until the drugs completely took over his life, he could still muster the strength to rise to the occasion at times. But to be clear, by 1975 Elvis had checked out-it was all inertia.


The only joke are people like you, Midnightx and Justin. And a few others but those are the main ones.

Re: Proof that Elvis could still move an audience in 1975

Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:07 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:
The teenage girls thought differently.


where does the article confirm this statement?

Re: Proof that Elvis could still move an audience in 1975

Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:10 am

Justin wrote:
ekenee wrote:
Even today I find artists that I like.
Beyonce'
Kelly Clarkson
Jewel
Shania Twain
to name a few.



Care to name a few more? From the looks of that list you haven't heard any new music since the year 2000.


Well, then you are not keeping up, because
Beyonce'
Kelly Clarkson
and Jewel have all recently released new music like this year. We are in 2013.

New artists -----new music. I don't consider 2000 as "old" either.

Time is relative. If you are 20 years old then 2000 was more than half your life ago.

If you are referring to new artists, say 2010 and later, I am having a hard time.


Like I said before, old and new is meaningless. I am about finding the good music thru the bad.
I could discover a song released in 1965 that I had never heard before, so it's new to me.

I don't think I have heard any new artists in the last 3 years that has released anything essential.

Re: Proof that Elvis could still move an audience in 1975

Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:10 am

SuspiciousMind.. how much longer will you be on this board? there are many other boards online that match your delusional fanboy posts. wouldn't you be happier at one of those boards than here?

Re: Proof that Elvis could still move an audience in 1975

Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:12 am

Justin wrote:SuspiciousMind.. how much longer will you be on this board? there are many other boards online that match your delusional fanboy posts. wouldn't you be happier at one of those boards than here?


I'll be on it as long as I want to be on it.

Re: Proof that Elvis could still move an audience in 1975

Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:25 am

ekenee wrote:Well, then you are not keeping up, because
Beyonce'
Kelly Clarkson
and Jewel have all recently released new music like this year. We are in 2013.

New artists -----new music. I don't consider 2000 as "old" either.

Time is relative. If you are 20 years old then 2000 was more than half your life ago.

If you are referring to new artists, say 2010 and later, I am having a hard time.


Like I said before, old and new is meaningless. I am about finding the good music thru the bad.
I could discover a song released in 1965 that I had never heard before, so it's new to me.

I don't think I have heard any new artists in the last 3 years that has released anything essential.


Meh.

Rod Stewart released a new album this year; that hardly makes it "new" music. same goes for the artists you mentioned. jewel hasn't been relevant in 10 years. but whatever. are you sure you're not more interested in their good looks?

And how exactly are you discovering music... by looking at the cover of Rolling Stone magazine?
Last edited by Justin on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Proof that Elvis could still move an audience in 1975

Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:27 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:
iplayastrat wrote:1975 was the year I first saw him in concert. And at the
time we thought it was a great show. There's no multi-
track or soundboard tape (from any year) that can capture
the excitement of being there.

At the time I wasn't yet a teenager, but all of my friends
were impressed or jealous that I got to see him. Matter
of fact, they still are today.

It's easy to sit back and pick apart the shows after Aloha.
But if you were there it was a whole different ballgame.
It was that way for all ages who attended.


Wonderful post!! It is a shame that no stereo mixes were ever made of those 1975 April/May/June shows. I have a friend who attended the tornado relief concert in Jackson and he said the atmosphere was electrifying and loud. The coliseum staff had to turn people away because they were trying to sneak in after all the seats were gone. It was truly standing room only!

It was also that very concert that a young little girl begged her grandma to take her to see Elvis. And that little girl is Country music superstar Faith Hill. :D



That's a good point I was hoping someone would bring up. Just because I child was at the concert doesn't automatically mean the parents just brought the child,
the child could have made the choice and asked the parent to take them.

After all back in 1956, I am sure lots of parents had to take thier children to his shows since they couldn't drive and so forth.
So, many parents saw Elvis in the 50's and perhaps they became fans because their child liked him first.

Re: Proof that Elvis could still move an audience in 1975

Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:35 am

Justin wrote:
ekenee wrote:Well, then you are not keeping up, because
Beyonce'
Kelly Clarkson
and Jewel have all recently released new music like this year. We are in 2013.

New artists -----new music. I don't consider 2000 as "old" either.

Time is relative. If you are 20 years old then 2000 was more than half your life ago.

If you are referring to new artists, say 2010 and later, I am having a hard time.


Like I said before, old and new is meaningless. I am about finding the good music thru the bad.
I could discover a song released in 1965 that I had never heard before, so it's new to me.

I don't think I have heard any new artists in the last 3 years that has released anything essential.


Meh.

Rod Stewart released a new album this year; that hardly makes it "new" music. same goes for the artists you mentioned. jewel hasn't been relevant in 10 years. but whatever. are you sure you're not more interested in their good looks?

And how exactly are you discovering music... by looking at the cover of Rolling Stone magazine?



Dude,(midnightx Jr.) when do you read and actually process the information??

First off, you took a quote from me totally out of context and then twisted the meaning. Another troll type of action which I am familair with.

Then I explained over and over again, new ...old...new....old, it doesn't matter with music. Get it. It's irrelavant.
Music is art. Art can be timeless. It's about good and bad.

You know nothing about Jewel as a writer.

I dont' read rolling stone.

Please don't keep responding, because if I have to correct every little thing you say, it will get irratating.
So, far nothing you have written has made an ounce of sense. It's pretty much all double talk.

Re: Proof that Elvis could still move an audience in 1975

Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:43 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
eligain wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
stevelecher wrote:Don't need this for proof. He could sleep walk through half the show but if he did a good HGTA, Trilogy, or Bridge (and later Hurt,) the audience would be satisfied and appreciative. He had to really work at destroying the goodwill the audience had for him right from the beginning.


I agree. But there seem to be some (on here especially) that think he was a joke by 1975 or that young people weren't interested in him or his shows by then. But, as the video indicates and we already knew that not to be the case.


Most young people weren't interested in him or his shows by 1975.


Sadly, this is true, and primarily because neither artist nor management made efforts to reach a younger demographic.


Some 38 years later we can over analyse how Elvis performed in 1975. Until his death Elvis topped the rankings of most grossing concerts and he still knew how to drew and please a crowd. Like some on FECC have witnessed it must have been beyond words to describe to see him perform. That is one side of the story. The other side is what the Doc described: Elvis had become a league on its own and he and his management completely lost touch with contemporary pop music and younger generations by 1975. It is not that strange for a middle aged superstar but also shows the short sighted vision of Elvis and the Colonel.

Re: Proof that Elvis could still move an audience in 1975

Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:42 am

Justin wrote:
ekenee wrote:Well, then you are not keeping up, because
Beyonce'
Kelly Clarkson
and Jewel have all recently released new music like this year. We are in 2013.

New artists -----new music. I don't consider 2000 as "old" either.

Time is relative. If you are 20 years old then 2000 was more than half your life ago.

If you are referring to new artists, say 2010 and later, I am having a hard time.


Like I said before, old and new is meaningless. I am about finding the good music thru the bad.
I could discover a song released in 1965 that I had never heard before, so it's new to me.

I don't think I have heard any new artists in the last 3 years that has released anything essential.


Meh.

Rod Stewart released a new album this year; that hardly makes it "new" music. same goes for the artists you mentioned. jewel hasn't been relevant in 10 years. but whatever. are you sure you're not more interested in their good looks?

And how exactly are you discovering music... by looking at the cover of Rolling Stone magazine?


:D

Re: Proof that Elvis could still move an audience in 1975

Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:48 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:
Justin wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:Here's the full review from the Jackson Newspaper on May 6, 1975. Notice the highlighted section. :wink:

CONCERT DATE: May 5, 1975 (8:30 pm) Jackson, MS. State Fair Coliseum
Elvis Nets $108,860 For Victims Of Tornado
UPI
Delta Democrat-Times
May 6, 1975
JACKSON (UPI) Elvis Presley returned to his native state for a benefit performance Monday night and received a thunderous reception from more than 10,000 fans who packed the Mississippi Coliseum.

The 40 years old Tupelo native, a little heavier now but dazzling in a baby blue casual suit and dark blue shirt, strode onto the stage amid cheers and screams and immediately opened with his version of "CC Rider"

He wore blue and white scarves, alternating between the colors as he paused occasionally between songs and tossed them out to the crowd.

The audience was a mixture of all ages but fans in their 20s and 30s seemed to predominate. another 200 or so fans crowded around coliseum doors and windows on the outside trying to catch a glimpse of the super star who hit the big time two decades ago with his shaking rock 'n' roll renditions.

Elvis met with Gov. Bill Waller and other officials backstage prior to his performance and presented the governor with a check for $108,860 from ticket sales that will go to benefit victims of a devastating tornado that ripped through the McComb area of South Mississippi earlier this year. Officials predicted the figure would go much higher when the receipts are in from concessions and the sale of Elvis pictures.

Waller presented the check in turn to McComb Mayor Johnny Thompson and Pike County Board of Supervisors President Sam Alford. Thompson expressed appreciation from the people of McComb for his "most unusual and magnanimous gesture."

State Rep. William Guy of McComb also presented the entertainer during the backstage ceremony with a copy of a resolution passed by the 1975 Mississippi Legislature thanking Elvis for staging the benefit performance, his first public appearance in Mississippi in many years.

"This compassionate gesture of concern is appreciated by all Mississippians," the resolution stated.

Waller called it an "historic occasion" and commended Elvis for the personal donation of time and money. Elvis even picked up his own expenses for the trip.

Mrs. Waller, who also was backstage, said Elvis was "very friendly and surprisingly shy."

The local Elvis Presley Fan Club, consisting of about 40 members, decorated the Coliseum with red carpet, signs and balloons carrying such slogans as "Mississippi has Elvis fever" and other frills a "Welcome Home Elvis" banner draped a sign in front of a motel just across the street from the coliseum.

"I organized the club to share my love of Elvis with Mississippians and to bring him a little closer to them," said Elisabeth Hill, president of the fan club.




so what? earlier in this thread you made the claim that teenagers were prevalent Elvis's performances. everyone here already agreed the women present at the shows were in their 30's. have you already forgotten what you're arguing for?


Really moron? I even highlighted the sentence where it says 20 somethings. and you still argue about it. You're a fu@king joke.


I think you may have wrecked your own thread with this guideline-breaking post. Why?

Re: Proof that Elvis could still move an audience in 1975

Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:13 pm

Justin wrote:
ekenee wrote:Well, then you are not keeping up, because
Beyonce'
Kelly Clarkson
and Jewel have all recently released new music like this year. We are in 2013.

New artists -----new music. I don't consider 2000 as "old" either.

Time is relative. If you are 20 years old then 2000 was more than half your life ago.

If you are referring to new artists, say 2010 and later, I am having a hard time.


Like I said before, old and new is meaningless. I am about finding the good music thru the bad.
I could discover a song released in 1965 that I had never heard before, so it's new to me.

I don't think I have heard any new artists in the last 3 years that has released anything essential.


Meh.

Rod Stewart released a new album this year; that hardly makes it "new" music. same goes for the artists you mentioned. jewel hasn't been relevant in 10 years. but whatever. are you sure you're not more interested in their good looks?

And how exactly are you discovering music... by looking at the cover of Rolling Stone magazine?


Try JD McPherson, Willie Nile, and James Hunter. All new music with a throwback feel. Great albums. Also the new Mavericks album. Cannot beat Raul Malo's vocals.

Re: Proof that Elvis could still move an audience in 1975

Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:19 pm

fn2drive wrote:You seem focused on trying to prove that Elvis wasn't a drug addled has been by 1975. No doubt through much of 75 other than being grossly overweight for a star of his caliber he wasn't a daily train wreck like most of 76 and 77. By this point he was a curiosity that still drew crowds and his very loyal fan base but he squandered his come back which essentially ended sometime in 72 though many would say as early as late 70 perhaps Nov 71. Aloha was a disappointment to NBC and drew poor ratings when repeated. Basically he was a big concert draw but ceased to be a cultural force and starting in 75 became a cultural joke. Until the drugs completely took over his life, he could still muster the strength to rise to the occasion at times. But to be clear, by 1975 Elvis had checked out-it was all inertia.


This is one of the best assessments I have read. Especially 1975 onward.

Re: Proof that Elvis could still move an audience in 1975

Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:54 pm

was aloha a disappointment for nbc?

Re: Proof that Elvis could still move an audience in 1975

Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:12 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:Found this on Youtube and while the footage isn't the best, it shows how Elvis was still able to rock and move an audience in 1975 at 40. Seeing how it played out makes it more enjoyable than to hear it on cd.

phpBB [video]



phpBB [video]


What strange footage to illustrate your point with. :?

Re: Proof that Elvis could still move an audience in 1975

Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:38 pm

r&b wrote:
fn2drive wrote:You seem focused on trying to prove that Elvis wasn't a drug addled has been by 1975. No doubt through much of 75 other than being grossly overweight for a star of his caliber he wasn't a daily train wreck like most of 76 and 77. By this point he was a curiosity that still drew crowds and his very loyal fan base but he squandered his come back which essentially ended sometime in 72 though many would say as early as late 70 perhaps Nov 71. Aloha was a disappointment to NBC and drew poor ratings when repeated. Basically he was a big concert draw but ceased to be a cultural force and starting in 75 became a cultural joke. Until the drugs completely took over his life, he could still muster the strength to rise to the occasion at times. But to be clear, by 1975 Elvis had checked out-it was all inertia.


This is one of the best assessments I have read. Especially 1975 onward.


Very very likely, but somehow this person who was uncool and a cultural joke for much of the 70's has outlasted all the cool guys and gals and groups of that time and well beyond that as well to the present. And yet is still thought of as uncool by many.,

This has got to be the most uncool success story in history .

How does one explain this?

Re: Proof that Elvis could still move an audience in 1975

Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:53 pm

FredAistair wrote:
r&b wrote:
fn2drive wrote:You seem focused on trying to prove that Elvis wasn't a drug addled has been by 1975. No doubt through much of 75 other than being grossly overweight for a star of his caliber he wasn't a daily train wreck like most of 76 and 77. By this point he was a curiosity that still drew crowds and his very loyal fan base but he squandered his come back which essentially ended sometime in 72 though many would say as early as late 70 perhaps Nov 71. Aloha was a disappointment to NBC and drew poor ratings when repeated. Basically he was a big concert draw but ceased to be a cultural force and starting in 75 became a cultural joke. Until the drugs completely took over his life, he could still muster the strength to rise to the occasion at times. But to be clear, by 1975 Elvis had checked out-it was all inertia.


This is one of the best assessments I have read. Especially 1975 onward.


Very very likely, but somehow this person who was uncool and a cultural joke for much of the 70's has outlasted all the cool guys and gals and groups of that time and well beyond that as well to the present. And yet is still thought of as uncool by many.,

This has got to be the most uncool success story in history .

How does one explain this?


Here is one explanation. He died. And he died at a very young age amid a cloud of mystery. That always adds an aura to a person, much like James Dean and Marilyn Monroe, and since Elvis was part of that era, and a major part, it added to his aura as well. If Elvis came out in the 70's there would not have been that much hysteria about it. His coolness lies in the 50's for what he established and what he did for music history and culture. In 1975, he was living off that to most of us. The 1975 version was not considered nearly as cool as the 1957 version.

Re: Proof that Elvis could still move an audience in 1975

Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:57 pm

fn2drive wrote:Aloha was a disappointment to NBC...

Is a neilson rating of 33.8% for the original broadcast considered disappointing?

Re: Proof that Elvis could still move an audience in 1975

Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:18 pm

The original broadcast did very well but they were disappointed with the ratings for the rerun. Since then, with PBS running the show a lot, the two Ann Margret airings, and others, this special must be amongst the most broadcasted specials in history.