Proof that Elvis could still move an audience in 1975

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
SuspiciousMind
Banned - Previously Banned Member Who Returned.
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Proof that Elvis could still move an audience in 1975

Post by SuspiciousMind »

Found this on Youtube and while the footage isn't the best, it shows how Elvis was still able to rock and move an audience in 1975 at 40. Seeing how it played out makes it more enjoyable than to hear it on cd.

stevelecher
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Re: Proof that Elvis could still move an audience in 1975

Post by stevelecher »

Don't need this for proof. He could sleep walk through half the show but if he did a good HGTA, Trilogy, or Bridge (and later Hurt,) the audience would be satisfied and appreciative. He had to really work at destroying the goodwill the audience had for him right from the beginning.

Topic author
SuspiciousMind

Post by SuspiciousMind »

stevelecher wrote:Don't need this for proof. He could sleep walk through half the show but if he did a good HGTA, Trilogy, or Bridge (and later Hurt,) the audience would be satisfied and appreciative. He had to really work at destroying the goodwill the audience had for him right from the beginning.
I agree. But there seem to be some (on here especially) that think he was a joke by 1975 or that young people weren't interested in him or his shows by then. But, as the video indicates and we already knew that not to be the case.

eligain
Registered for: 13 years 7 months

Post by eligain »

SuspiciousMind wrote:
stevelecher wrote:Don't need this for proof. He could sleep walk through half the show but if he did a good HGTA, Trilogy, or Bridge (and later Hurt,) the audience would be satisfied and appreciative. He had to really work at destroying the goodwill the audience had for him right from the beginning.
I agree. But there seem to be some (on here especially) that think he was a joke by 1975 or that young people weren't interested in him or his shows by then. But, as the video indicates and we already knew that not to be the case.
Most young people weren't interested in him or his shows by 1975.

Topic author
SuspiciousMind

Post by SuspiciousMind »

eligain wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
:roll:

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

eligain wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
Sadly, this is true, and primarily because neither artist nor management made efforts to reach a younger demographic.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
SuspiciousMind

Post by SuspiciousMind »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
eligain wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
Sadly, this is true, and primarily because neither artist nor management made efforts to reach a younger demographic.
The teenage girls thought differently.

drjohncarpenter

SuspiciousMind wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
eligain wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
You are living in a fantasy land if you believe the work done between 1974 and 1977 was aimed at attracting a younger audience.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
SuspiciousMind

Post by SuspiciousMind »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
eligain wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
You are living in a fantasy land if you believe the work done between 1974 and 1977 was aimed at attracting a younger audience.
I never once said that it did. What I did say is that young girls, teenagers included, were always at those shows screaming trying to get a kiss or at least a scarf. Why do you think he wasted so much time during those shows catering to those women?

drjohncarpenter

SuspiciousMind wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Sadly, this is true, and primarily because neither artist nor management made efforts to reach a younger demographic.
I never once said that it did. What I did say is that young girls, teenagers included, were always at those shows screaming trying to get a kiss or at least a scarf. Why do you think he wasted so much time during those shows catering to those women?
Please. Your comment is very pointed and the inference is unmistakeable. However, it is erroneous.

BTW, most of the women clamoring for scarves at such shows were age 25-60.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Justin

Post by Justin »

SuspiciousMind wrote:
There's a big difference between young teenage girls attending a show because they're with their mothers as opposed to a teenage girl going to see Led Zeppelin with a group of her friends.

Looking at this clip, there doesn't seem to be a high number of "young teenage" girls. Scanning through the crowd, the majority of women appear to be in their late 30's to late 50's.

memphisound
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by memphisound »

No doubt he was still a power house performance's in 1975, for the most part, it was a upbeat year concert wise, And for the most part Elvis' mood was happy from the tapes we hear, now whether he was personally i have no idea, but on stage he did seem to be enjoying touring again those May June tours especially.

PREVIOUSLY BANNED MEMBER "BRADM".

Topic author
SuspiciousMind

Post by SuspiciousMind »

Justin wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
There's a big difference between young teenage girls attending a show because they're with their mothers as opposed to a teenage girl going to see Led Zeppelin with a group of her friends.

Looking at this clip, there doesn't seem to be a high number of "young teenage" girls. Scanning through the crowd, the majority of women appear to be in their late 30's to late 50's.

So exactly how many women of any age have you ever had screaming over you? The envy and jealousy on this forum towards the man is ridiculous and sad. I totally understand the criticism and putdowns now more than ever. As they say, jealousy is a real bitch.

iplayastrat
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by iplayastrat »

1975 was the year I first saw him in concert. And at the
time we thought it was a great show. There's no multi-
track or soundboard tape (from any year) that can capture
the excitement of being there.

At the time I wasn't yet a teenager, but all of my friends
were impressed or jealous that I got to see him. Matter
of fact, they still are today.

It's easy to sit back and pick apart the shows after Aloha.
But if you were there it was a whole different ballgame.
It was that way for all ages who attended.

My escape from society continues...

Topic author
SuspiciousMind

Post by SuspiciousMind »

iplayastrat wrote:1975 was the year I first saw him in concert. And at the
time we thought it was a great show. There's no multi-
track or soundboard tape (from any year) that can capture
the excitement of being there.

At the time I wasn't yet a teenager, but all of my friends
were impressed or jealous that I got to see him. Matter
of fact, they still are today.

It's easy to sit back and pick apart the shows after Aloha.
But if you were there it was a whole different ballgame.
It was that way for all ages who attended.
Wonderful post!! It is a shame that no stereo mixes were ever made of those 1975 April/May/June shows. I have a friend who attended the tornado relief concert in Jackson and he said the atmosphere was electrifying and loud. The coliseum staff had to turn people away because they were trying to sneak in after all the seats were gone. It was truly standing room only!

It was also that very concert that a young little girl begged her grandma to take her to see Elvis. And that little girl is Country music superstar Faith Hill. :D

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

memphisound wrote:No doubt he was still a power house performance's in 1975, for the most part, it was a upbeat year concert wise, And for the most part Elvis' mood was happy from the tapes we hear, now whether he was personally i have no idea, but on stage he did seem to be enjoying touring again those May June tours especially.
I'm not sure if powerhouse is the right word, but I certainly think that if you saw Elvis in the spring and early summer of 1975 you were going to have a bloody good time. Those March to July shows kind to fall into his "sit back and leave the driving to us" mode of thinking, but at a time when he was capable of delivering on that. With a few exceptions, the shows seemed to be slick, professional, and good-humoured, particularly in May/June. Now, I realise a lot of people would have preferred him not to be doing the Today material, Let Me Be There and the like, but still there is something remarkably likeable about these tours, and the FTD releases and bootlegs such as the one of the Memphis concert only go to prove that. Another Saturday Night is a disc that was never going to set the world alight, but it is a very enjoyable way to spend an hour or so, and that's what Elvis was about at this particular point.

Later in the year, it had all gone awry. The August shows are interesting, but problematic - and the winter Vegas season of that year pointed towards the problems that would plague the remainder of Presley's live shows - oversinging, poor pacing and lack of rehearsal. Whereas the spring/summer shows find Elvis remarkably at ease, the winter shows seem to be strained and hard work.

Justin

Post by Justin »

SuspiciousMind wrote: So exactly how many women of any age have you ever had screaming over you? The envy and jealousy on this forum towards the man is ridiculous and sad. I totally understand the criticism and putdowns now more than ever. As they say, jealousy is a real bitch.
you're a lost cause. what exactly was this thread about? A thread about Elvis or you asking members how many women have screamed at them? you made a statement, it was incorrect, I corrected you and you revert to immature arguments. Useless.

Topic author
SuspiciousMind

Post by SuspiciousMind »

Justin wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote: So exactly how many women of any age have you ever had screaming over you? The envy and jealousy on this forum towards the man is ridiculous and sad. I totally understand the criticism and putdowns now more than ever. As they say, jealousy is a real bitch.
you're a lost cause. what exactly was this thread about? A thread about Elvis or you asking members how many women have screamed at them? you made a statement, it was incorrect, I corrected you and you revert to immature arguments. Useless.
You tried to spin the truth around instead of acknowledging the facts. Yes there were some old grandmas there reliving their youth, but the majority of women who attended his shows in 1975 were mostly in the late teens to early 30's. I wouldn't call that "old" in your way of putting it.

And for the record, your clip was of Elvis in 1977 when his shows were just a way for Parker to make more money and drain Elvis to death in the process.

stevelecher
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by stevelecher »

There were numerous young people at the concerts in the mid 1970's but the majority of concert goers were aged early 30's to 50's. For the most part mature women acted like teenagers at the shows but there weren't that many teens there.

Elvis' show attracted a nice mix of all ages of white, middle class customers.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

The screams & screeches I heard when I saw Elvis in 1977 had to come from very young lungs. They were very high pitched and bothered my ears. Lot's of teenagers (I found out a week later 1 girl fan from my 7th grade classroom) attended that now infamous (because of his appearance) Feb 12 show.

eligain
Registered for: 13 years 7 months

Post by eligain »

Yes there were some old grandmas there reliving their youth, but the majority of women who attended his shows in 1975 were mostly in the late teens to early 30's.
No they weren't! Most women at Elvis's shows were in their mid 30's and early 40's with a significant amount in their 50's and 60's. Yes there was some teens and 20's but they were in the minority. I don't know how old you are but I was a teen in the mid 70's and there was hardly anyone my age that were Elvis fans. Yeah, teens in the 70's may have thought Elvis was cool because of the whole 50's revival but they weren't buying his new records or wanting to go to his shows.

memphisound
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by memphisound »

I don't think it really matters the age i mean come on we are talking like the women at Elvis Presley show were all white hair Grandma's. Which there is nothing wrong with that because many people of all ages attended its just the fact thats not all that attended. I'm sure there were several young females in the audience. and Of course not Elvis wasn't recording music to attract teenagers, by the 70's Elvis was hardly given great material, I mean really great stuff like Burning Love, Promised Land, etc etc. By that point he recorded what related to him the most, Hell listen to most of the songs from his last LP, feeled with eerie tear jerkers of someone who's just lonely as anyone could be.

PREVIOUSLY BANNED MEMBER "BRADM".

A. C. van Kuijk
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by A. C. van Kuijk »

Elvis still could move an audience in 1975, that's for sure. His mood was good, his voice sounded fine and the set list included several favorites of the crowd. But on the other hand, most of the songs were performed quite sloppy and Elvis certainly did not give 100% anymore. His shows were still entertaining, but more often than not without real substance.

He sold out (almost) every venue and still was one of the highest paid entertainers in the world - certainly not bad for an artist, who is in the business for two decades! But he wasn't a teen-idol anymore. It's somewhat strange to think, that an overweight singer of 40 years appeals to teenage girls. In the 1970s the King played for a white, christian, middle-aged audience. He still had a lot of drawing power, but the was not a representant of the current music-scene.

r&b

Post by r&b »

Well if it means anything, I saw Elvis in summer of 75 (the night he sang You'll Never Walk Alone at the piano in Uniondale, NY). I thought he sounded great but looked ridiculous in that gypsy Indian or whatever suit. No young person could ever relate to the way Elvis looked by then. He was totally dated even for the style challenged 70's. The audience as I recall it , was mostly over 30 (some way over), white, and mostly female. Some teenagers were present but again, I think they were with older people, possibly parents. I was in my mid-20's then and one of the youngest people there and like I said not many males my age were there. My friends at the time were into groups and acts that were popular in the 70's, not Elvis. Elvis was basically living off his past whether you want to believe this or not. He just was not part of the present music scene. its not a put down, or jealousy or whatever. its the facts. For those that lived it back then, you are wearing blinders if you think young people were into Elvis and his music in 1975. The Elvis concerts I attended were probably the only ones where the smell of weed wasn't in the air.

Joe Car
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Joe Car »

r&b wrote:Well if it means anything, I saw Elvis in summer of 75 (the night he sang You'll Never Walk Alone at the piano in Uniondale, NY). I thought he sounded great but looked ridiculous in that gypsy Indian or whatever suit. No young person could ever relate to the way Elvis looked by then. He was totally dated even for the style challenged 70's. The audience as I recall it , was mostly over 30 (some way over), white, and mostly female. Some teenagers were present but again, I think they were with older people, possibly parents. I was in my mid-20's then and one of the youngest people there and like I said not many males my age were there. My friends at the time were into groups and acts that were popular in the 70's, not Elvis. Elvis was basically living off his past whether you want to believe this or not. He just was not part of the present music scene. its not a put down, or jealousy or whatever. its the facts. For those that lived it back then, you are wearing blinders if you think young people were into Elvis and his music in 1975. The Elvis concerts I attended were probably the only ones where the smell of weed wasn't in the air.
It isn't realistic that young kids would be into a 40 year old artist, which Elvis was in 1975. They would be into much younger acts, which they were.