Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Wooden Heart / Tonight's All Right For Love (German single)

Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:36 am

Hi people,

I would like to share an rip of my (unfortunately rather worn) copy of the single mentioned above. Did the best I could to clean it off but it's been played a lot through the ages.

It has a very special meaning to me as it was one of the very first things I heard from our man.

The original single hit the german charts on November 26, 1960 and on January 21, 1961 reached # 2, where it stayed for three weeks. 400.000 copies were sold at that time (rumour was that over a million copies were sold).

Wooden Heart (German single, mono).wav (File size: 11MB)
http://www49.zippyshare.com/v/15071376/file.html

It took me quite some time to realize what a sloppy, amateurish splice job they did with the B-Side - I guess back then nobody really realized it:

Tonight's All Right For Love (Extended german single version, mono).wav (File size: 11MB)
http://www49.zippyshare.com/v/44901781/file.html

Nevertheless it is still interesting somehow. Now I'm going to listen to the whole "G.I. Blues" soundtrack album in monaural... :wink:

Enjoy! ::rocks

Re: Wooden Heart / Tonight's All Right For Love (German sing

Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:57 am

I agree. I had tried to get that single for such a long time and then when I finally heard it and how badly it was artificially lengthened, I asked, "this is what I worked so hard to obtain?" Blue River is sugical precision in comparison.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:01 am

That's terrible splicing.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:49 am

I didn't know that Lene Reidel is that old.... :wink:

Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:47 pm

Has anyone attempted to recreate the "long version" of "Tonight's All Right For Love"? I have it on the club release "Elvis In Germany" but better elements could be used today.

MT

Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:38 pm

MysteryTrain wrote:Has anyone attempted to recreate the "long version" of "Tonight's All Right For Love"? I have it on the club release "Elvis In Germany" but better elements could be used today.

MT

Hmmm, good question. I did it quite a while back but can't find it anymore. Back then I wanted to use the version from the "G.I. Blues Special Edition" but the ending had an incorrect splice. Then I used the "Elvis In The 90's" CD edition.
I will give it a try with the most recent remaster in stereo (or as an alternative the version from the mono FTD). But it'll sound crappy anyway. I didn't even know until yesterday there were so many splices... :?

Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:00 pm

I like this special spliced Version. Glad to have the Original Elvis In Germany RCA Club Edition CD :D

Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:30 pm

I have the original vinyl album from Germany. Took me a long time to find a copy (here in the US). I was amazed at how clumsy that splice was.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:50 pm

MysteryTrain wrote:Has anyone attempted to recreate the "long version" of "Tonight's All Right For Love"? I have it on the club release "Elvis In Germany" but better elements could be used today.

MT

I did it a few years ago... but as I tried to copy that bad splice, it doesn't sound smooth enough:
http://www51.zippyshare.com/v/4092272/file.html

Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:49 pm

The single is easily available on eBay

Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:00 pm

JimmyCool wrote:

MT

I did it a few years ago... but as I tried to copy that bad splice, it doesn't sound smooth enough:
http://www51.zippyshare.com/v/4092272/file.html

Thanks Jimmy - and this time again: Great minds think alike! :wink:

Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:29 pm

Update: here it is, finished in about twenty minutes. I even corrected the original splice (at 1:00) a little, as I always felt there were a few milliseconds too many. It just didn't sound right, one could exactly hear the splice.

That sloppy splice at 1:19 just cannot be improved. Or at least I didn't try. :wink:
But I guess it sounds even worse in stereo. :P

Tonight's All Right For Love (Extended version, stereo).wav (File size: 23MB)
http://www68.zippyshare.com/v/33924294/file.html

This is one good example of how we people over here got fooled already way back in 1960. :smt002

Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:47 am

Lucky, I think it sound very good - better fidelity than on "Elvis In Germany." I agree that the splice at 1:19 is bad. Somehow I think that spice could be improved.

Thanks for your work on this.

MT

Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:18 am

MysteryTrain wrote:Lucky, I think it sound very good - better fidelity than on "Elvis In Germany." I agree that the splice at 1:19 is bad. Somehow I think that spice could be improved.

Thanks for your work on this.

MT

You're very welcome, MT! That splice is so abruptly it just doesn't sound good at all. I even tried not to simply splice it but kinda mix it together. I listened to the original mono version very carefully but really couldn't figure out how they did it.
Otherwise I'm pretty satisfied with the result.
Maybe I'll give it another try. :wink:

Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:06 pm

The original splice at 1:19 actually sounds pretty cool for being done manually by hand back then.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:23 pm

Here's the version from "Elvis In Germany" Club CD: http://www47.zippyshare.com/v/94698214/file.html

I think the splice (at 1:20) sounds pretty good (for, I assume, being manually done at the time).

MT

Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:54 pm

MysteryTrain wrote:Here's the version from "Elvis In Germany" Club CD: http://www47.zippyshare.com/v/94698214/file.html

I think the splice (at 1:20) sounds pretty good (for, I assume, being manually done at the time).

MT

Thanks for uploading this, MT. Can't agree with you on this as I think it's been executed pretty badly. Of course, even here it sounds way too abrupt. The splice at 1:09 is also pretty bad.

Prepared an insert to replace the old splice but I'm not really convinced that it sounds much better this time (and by accident I saved the new file over the old one but that's just a minor loss):

Elvis Presley - Tonight's All Right For Love (Extended version, stereo) (2).wav (File size: 23MB)
http://www74.zippyshare.com/v/4518048/file.html

But I bet even if I would play this splice to my dad he wouldn't recognize any splice and say: "Yeah, that's the way I know it!" :D

Also it took me quite some time to find out the "I'm Leaving It Up To You" rehearsal was spliced when first released on bootlegs. Or a more prominent example: the ending of "Suspicious Minds".

Right now it's 36 degrees outside and I can't help but wonder what's the use to all this... maybe re-writing history?
:P

ADDITION: I think you'll agree with me that in monaural that particular splice sounds better:

Tonight's All Right For Love (Extended, mono fold-down).wav (File size: 11MB)
http://www74.zippyshare.com/v/62165272/file.html

Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:20 pm

Hey folks, does anybody around here own a original german 1960 pressing of the "G.I. Blues" album? Maybe both mono AND stereo?
I would like to know if the extended or just the short master of "Tonight's All Right For Love" is featured on them.

Thanks in advance! ::rocks

Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:48 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:Hey folks, does anybody around here own a original german 1960 pressing of the "G.I. Blues" album? Maybe both mono AND stereo?
I would like to know if the extended or just the short master of "Tonight's All Right For Love" is featured on them.

Thanks in advance! ::rocks

LP and single feature the same extended track.
USA & UK LP's featured a different song, Tonight is so right for love.
We were quite surprised when Tonight's all right for love was finally released in the USA it was such a short song and learned the original release in 1960 was extended articifically.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:11 pm

I have the German mono album. It is the extended, awkwardly spliced version.

Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:10 am

zolderopruiming1 and RonBaker2003, thanks a lot for confirming! ::rocks

zolderopruiming1 wrote:LP and single feature the same extended track.

Do you know which track is featured on the stereo version? The extended or the regular short version?

Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:06 am

Lucky,

I'm doing this from memory as I traded by German copy of "G.I. Blues" long ago, but my recollection is the stereo version of "Tonight's All Right For Love" was the long version.

MT

Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:43 am

MysteryTrain wrote:Lucky,

I'm doing this from memory as I traded by German copy of "G.I. Blues" long ago, but my recollection is the stereo version of "Tonight's All Right For Love" was the long version.

MT

Thank you, MT! :)

So it's probably exactly the same splice as featured on the "Elvis In Germany" CD, which is even worse to my ears than the mono splice.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:29 am

The lenght of Tonight's All Right for Love song, which was made in Germany. Single has longer version of that song and only the first pressings of LPs too has that long version. Later LP pressings has short version. Can anyone confirm that this was the case? I have spent for couple days to find out this information but I simply don't remember my source!

Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:33 am

I have a copy the original German LP album. But, it is a later 60's pressing than the original, first pressing. But, it contain the long version of Tonight Is All Right For Love. I don't remember now when I bought it!