Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

1968 Comeback: The Beatles

Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:52 pm

Most of us knowing that Col. Parker wanted the '68 Comeback Show to be a Christmas Special, but I was thinking yesterday, what if the sit-down portion was a jam session with the Beatles? I mean I think it was great that they got Scotty, DJ, etc. to jam, but would've it been better, worse? Would it seem like the Beatles were bringing him back or more in control? What do you think???
::rocks

Re: 1968 Comeback: The Beatles

Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:58 pm

An additionally segment with the Beatles would have been sensational.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:10 pm

Somehow I doubt it would have been good (not without proper rehearsing). Somehow I think it would have been a mess. And impossible, too. But somehow a nice imagination indeed.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:24 pm

I would rather the Colonel, Hal Wallis and Brian Epstein had reached an agreement to let the Beatles do a segment in PARADISE HAWAIIAN STYLE.

We'd still be talking about that one!

Drums of the Islands
You're beating in my heart.
Yeah, yeah, yeah!

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:44 pm

emshicks321 wrote:Most of us knowing that Col. Parker wanted the '68 Comeback Show to be a Christmas Special, but I was thinking yesterday, what if the sit-down portion was a jam session with the Beatles? I mean I think it was great that they got Scotty, DJ, etc. to jam, but would've it been better, worse? Would it seem like the Beatles were bringing him back or more in control? What do you think???

It would have been far better to work with the Beatles after Elvis has reestablished himself as the King of Rock 'n' Roll. Which is one of the many accomplishments of the 1968 TV Special. But he did love the Beatles very, very much. ;-)

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:54 pm

emshicks321 wrote:Most of us knowing that Col. Parker wanted the '68 Comeback Show to be a Christmas Special, but I was thinking yesterday, what if the sit-down portion was a jam session with the Beatles? I mean I think it was great that they got Scotty, DJ, etc. to jam, but would've it been better, worse? Would it seem like the Beatles were bringing him back or more in control? What do you think???

I think: how many more of those wishfull thinking threads are we gonna get when infact i don't see any value in them?
I mean by that: It never happened,or could have happened due to the fact that there were so many differences between Elvis and the Beatles
that any chance that something like that would have happened ( even the fact that they admired each other and met) was reduced to zero!

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:03 pm

Elvis was the King in 1965 and the Beatles would have learned a lot from working with him.

They truly loved their hero very, very, very much! :wink:

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:04 pm

What if Elvis and Justin Bieber got together at a time when they had similar pompadours. They would have looked cool, both being young and having similar hair.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:18 pm

I wish Elvis had worked with his very, very good friend Trini Lopez.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:24 pm

:D i like the last 3 reactions wich proof my point earlier.

How about Elvis working with... the muppetsshow band. :D

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:52 pm

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:Elvis was the King in 1965 and the Beatles would have learned a lot from working with him.

Sadly, Elvis had abdicated by 1965, but the Beatles actually did learn a lot from him that year.

When they visited Presley in Los Angeles on August 27, at his request, they asked when he might tour again, or make some new rock 'n' roll singles. He told them he was very tied up in his movie contracts, but as soon as they were done he'd think about it.

The Beatles realized that making light movies with musical soundtracks was a dead-end, and they never made another after their summer 1965 smash hit, "Help!"

They also realized that letting a manager call all the shots, with a bottom-line as the only goal, was a huge mistake for their art, and they soon ceased relentless touring of the U.S. and the world, and devoted their energies to making great singles and albums.

It sure is good the Beatles learned a lot from Elvis in 1965. ;-)

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:18 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
HoneyTalkNelson wrote:Elvis was the King in 1965 and the Beatles would have learned a lot from working with him.

Sadly, Elvis had abdicated by 1965, but the Beatles actually did learn a lot from him that year.

When they visited Presley in Los Angeles on August 27, at his request, they asked when he might tour again, or make some new rock 'n' roll singles. He told them he was very tied up in his movie contracts, but as soon as they were done he'd think about it.

The Beatles realized that making light movies with musical soundtracks was a dead-end, and they never made another after their summer 1965 smash hit, "Help!"

They also realized that letting a manager call all the shots, with a bottom-line as the only goal, was a huge mistake for their art, and they soon ceased relentless touring of the U.S. and the world, and devoted their energies to making great singles and albums.

Excellent observation IMO

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:19 am

That is an unbelievably inaccurate account of the events of that year. I am outraged! :wtf:

I will not spend one second of my time debating each and every point that you have made. They are ALL wrong! :evil:

It's time to take off your Fanboy glasses Dr. John Carpenter and get back to the Edge of Reality. :!:

It's all in the mind, y'know... :?:

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:21 am

This never would have happened but according to past comments from Joe Esposito their were brief discussions that the 1968 television should feature special guest stars.

As that was common for music television specials but it was ultimately decided that Elvis would do the show by himself.

Hypothetically had the Beatles been on the show they would have likely sang some of their own songs and some of Elvis' and then he would sing his hits and some Beatle songs.

I actually think the idea that the Beatles should have appeared on 1968 television special is horrible as they probably would have overshadowed Elvis and his attempt to re-establish himself.

It would be like saying Elvis should have appeared on the Ed Sullivan show in 1964 singing ''I want to hold your hand'' with the Beatles as his backing band.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:24 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

It would have been far better to work with the Beatles after Elvis has reestablished himself as the King of Rock 'n' Roll. Which is one of the many accomplishments of the 1968 TV Special. But he did love the Beatles very, very much. ;-)

This is very true. Elvis performing with the Beatles would only open the door further for critics to contend "it wasn't Elvis that made the special a success", or "without the Beatles there would be no comeback" .

An over all bad idea.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:31 am

LesterB wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Excellent observation IMO

Thanks.

It was a very easy reply to craft, the pitch was straight down the middle: BOOM! Outta the park. ;-)

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:32 am

promiseland wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

This is very true. Elvis performing with the Beatles would only open the door further for critics to contend "it wasn't Elvis that made the special a success", or "without the Beatles there would be no comeback" .

An over all bad idea.

Exactly.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:44 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Doc, the hilarious punch line to your anecdote is that Lennon reportedly said that when Elvis would make rock and roll records again, they would think about buying them again.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:56 am

It would have destroyed the magic of that famous special. It is all right that many of you admire rock bands, from the Beatles to Led Zeppelin and beyond, but I can't imagine Elvis working with them, I don't even think he'd enjoyed it. I love the albums that Sinatra made with Riddle, May, Hefti, etc and I'd love an elvis album done that way, but as I know it was not to happen in a million years I rarely bring the subject nor thing about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:11 am

moffringa wrote:

I think: how many more of those wishfull thinking threads are we gonna get when infact i don't see any value in them?
I mean by that: It never happened,or could have happened due to the fact that there were so many differences between Elvis and the Beatles
that any chance that something like that would have happened ( even the fact that they admired each other and met) was reduced to zero!

The voice of reason. It is true we have many useless threads here at For Elvis CD Collectors. But here I am wasting my time reading it and even writing my own comment. Oh well.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:34 am

stevelecher wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:When they visited Presley in Los Angeles on August 27, at his request, they asked when he might tour again, or make some new rock 'n' roll singles. He told them he was very tied up in his movie contracts, but as soon as they were done he'd think about it.

Doc, the hilarious punch line to your anecdote is that Lennon reportedly said that when Elvis would make rock and roll records again, they would think about buying them again.

Yes, indeed. It was said with humour by John, although we all know there is truth in humour.

However, I omitted that part of the story, lest some here take it as "proof" of their insolence.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:22 am

John's wisecrack was kind of ballsy, but I love it. Wish I could have seen EP's reaction.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:53 am

stevelecher wrote:John's wisecrack was kind of ballsy, but I love it. Wish I could have seen EP's reaction.

Well considering that the people in elvis ' group kept him from such things reviews newspapers and comments like that im sure he was shocked a little bit. But hell you can't live in a bubble and grow at all IMO.

DJC summed it up perfect though with his response.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:55 am

stevelecher wrote:John's wisecrack was kind of ballsy, but I love it. Wish I could have seen EP's reaction.

You did. In 1968.

rjm

Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:59 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Whether or not it was the result of their meeting that led to these revelations the Beatles had with regard to their own career, in the end, what happened, is fact. It's just another sad reminder of what Elvis' career could have been. All that time in Hollywood... what an incredible waste of the better part of 7 years of his young life. It boggles the mind what he could have accomplished musically in the 1960's...