Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Run On CD 7.12.76 10pm show worth buying?

Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:41 pm

Hi guys, im was looking for the soundboards missing from my collection and i have found this one that seems to be released only this way with poor sound.

http://www.elvisconcerts.com/cds/runon.htm

One of my dealers is asking me 45 USD for it becouse it seems to be rare, my question is: it worth buying?

Thanks in advance for your comments!

::rocks

Re: Run On CD 7.12.76 10pm show worth buying?

Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:12 pm

I wouldn't go for it because it's hardly what we imagine a soundboard to sound like.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:28 pm

Lohmax wrote:I wouldn't go for it because it's hardly what we imagine a soundboard to sound like.

True. But on the other hand, at the moment that's the only soundboard recording from the final Vegas season we have, so if the price if OK with the original poster then I'd go for it.

PS. Ask your dealer if the disc is playable. I've heard some "Run On" CDs suffer from the rot (fortunately my copy doesn't).

Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:31 pm

If you're a collector it's worth having.
But some of the dec '76 shows are available in way better audience recorded sound.

I only gave this one a spin twice when I got it a long time ago.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:38 pm

It's indeed the only know soundboard from Vegas '76 at te moment, i doubt if we ever see another one, it's been too long.
The whole season can be heard in cd or cdr, but as far as soundboards, it's pretty poor...
The cd is very rare these days, and the price you mention is very reasonable for it.
Seen it go for more...
It must be said however that the sound is like a 3th generation copy of a soundboard and that it runs a bit too slow.
Dialogue has been edited out too to fit on one disc.

But if you are a collector, this one is a must have.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:48 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Here is hope that FTD/RCA/SONY label has this soundboard in their vaults, it´s about time for this to be released oficially 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:33 pm

The sound is less than stellar. But, it does have those couple of rare gems which makes this nice to have in the collection..., IMHO, of course

rlj

Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:22 pm

I don't know if this show is also out there on audience recording because I never went for them. But I agree that it's not worth buying because it's a soundboard because it really doesn't sound like one. Yes, there are a couple of rarities, but if i remember correctly the whole thing runs too slow as well - been a long while since I had it, so perhaps someone else could confirm?

Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:29 pm

"Ich sprech' Deutsch" :D

Yeah it runs (on) a tad too slow and the sound quality is below average. Not sure but I think I sold it ages back.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:44 pm

If you're a collector who has to have everything and money is no object, then you should indeed make the purchase.
If you're buying it to enjoy, it's not worth a plug nickle.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:44 pm

Here are a couple of samples from the CD to help you decide if you want to invest into it.
The audio quality is pretty weak for a soundboard and I doubt that much can be done to improve this. On the other hand a quite good sounding audience recording with ambivalent stereo sound of this show is available on CD-R. Maybe this would be a better alternative?
Anyway, here are the soundboard samples:

Blue Christmas: http://www41.zippyshare.com/v/98133533/file.html
That's all right: http://www41.zippyshare.com/v/71972070/file.html
Softly, as I leave you: http://www41.zippyshare.com/v/78860187/file.html
You'd better run: http://www41.zippyshare.com/v/74270437/file.html
Bosom of Abraham: http://www41.zippyshare.com/v/60206900/file.html

Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:12 pm

poormadpeter wrote:I don't know if this show is also out there on audience recording because I never went for them.

There IS an audience recording..Winter Season In Vegas Vol. 8..complete but a few seconds of the Closing Vamp (RT: 81:32).
On the SB the 2001 Theme and the second version of Hail Hail R and Roll (featuring Tony) is missing (RT: 70:22).

Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:37 pm

well guys, thanks a lot for all the information and experiences about this cd. I think I will pass on this one, I dont think it worth it, I think I will wait to see if FTD will release this one with better sound.

Thanks a lot again for the big help to all the FECC comunity!

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:28 pm

carloselvis wrote:Hi guys, im was looking for the soundboards missing from my collection and i have found this one that seems to be released only this way with poor sound.

http://www.elvisconcerts.com/cds/runon.htm

One of my dealers is asking me 45 USD for it becouse it seems to be rare, my question is: it worth buying?

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Your question does not have a simple answer.

If you are a super-fan, you will want to add the 1998 CD to your collection.

But the show itself is deeply disturbing, Elvis' performance is very, very poor. This superb FECC review sums it up:

Run On - For Elvis CD Collectors Only
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/run_on.html

That Elvis could give this kind of show on 12-07-1976, and deliver much more excitement in Pittsburgh about three weeks later is a strong indication how far off the rails The Elvis Presley Show had gone.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:49 pm

Superb review indeed, Mr. Savage :wink:

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:57 pm

If you are the kind of fan that has to have it all then yes, if not then no.
The sound is the worst soundboard i've ever heard.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:06 pm

Can we say that this is the worst soundboard sound ever released?

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:46 pm

carloselvis wrote:Can we say that this is the worst soundboard sound ever released?

Yes, you have my permission... :wink:

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:57 pm

memphisound wrote:If you are the kind of fan that has to have it all then yes, if not then no.

Aesthetically, maybe. Sonically, no way.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:50 am

carloselvis wrote:Can we say that this is the worst soundboard sound ever released?

We have a couple of spring 1975 shows where the drums are missing on the soundboard tape.
That's pretty awful but yes, Run on has poor sound even for a mixing desk recording

Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:14 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
memphisound wrote:If you are the kind of fan that has to have it all then yes, if not then no.

Doc, in your opinion wich is the worst soundboard sonically?

Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:48 am

Unfortunately Elvis sounds exactly like he looks on the cover of the CD. One cannot say the King doesn't try to please, but he lacks all the energy he'd need to put on a reasonable show. It's a very low-key affair. The sound isn't the best either, so the CD is not really worth buying.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:45 pm

carloselvis wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Doc, in your opinion wich is the worst soundboard sonically?

My understanding is that 1992's Hurt is not very good.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:05 pm

I would wait for a re-release.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:08 pm

I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat.