Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

A Little Less Conversation

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:08 am

16th June 2002, 46 years after his first hit, Elvis Presley started a four week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'A Little Less Conversation', (Elvis vs. JXL), giving Elvis a total of 18 UK No.1 singles, the most by any artist in chart history. This also set a new record for the longest span of No.1 hits with 44 years, 11 months and 9 days. His first UK No.1 single was 'All Shook Up' in 1957. http://audioboo.fm/boos/1453345-this-da ... -16th-june

Re: A Little Less Conversation

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:18 am

It was an amazing thing they did with A Little Less Conversation.
So remarkable and one that seperates all time greats from the rest.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:39 am

It was an amazing time for sure. I was still working as a radio Disc Jockey at the time and playing it on the radio while saying that it was the number one single across the nation was just GREAT!

Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:09 pm

This is great and for the new generations to start the visit in the Elvis-World. Same for "Rubberneckin'" from 2ND TO NONE. Like them both.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:27 pm

It's a shame it didn't do the same in the U.S.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:10 pm

episthebest wrote:It's a shame it didn't do the same in the U.S.

My understanding is that the Billboard hot 100 is significantly based on airplay and not just sales, It costs to promote airplay and thats not econmically viable if one were just promoting a single release. It's viable if it were used to promote a related album or tour.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:12 pm

Although I don't dig it anymore as much as in 2002, I still give it a spin from time to time. Was kinda cool. And dancing to that tune on the garden of Graceland that very same year is something I'll never forget.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:44 pm

God bless Nike.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:46 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:God bless Nike.

And Junkie XL.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:50 pm

Spiritinthesky wrote:16th June 2002, 46 years after his first hit, Elvis Presley started a four week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'A Little Less Conversation', (Elvis vs. JXL), giving Elvis a total of 18 UK No.1 singles, the most by any artist in chart history. This also set a new record for the longest span of No.1 hits with 44 years, 11 months and 9 days. His first UK No.1 single was 'All Shook Up' in 1957. http://audioboo.fm/boos/1453345-this-da ... -16th-june

Isn't this record also broken and matched by other artists? I think i read something about Maria Carey or so

Billboard Hot 100!

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:49 pm

moffringa wrote:
Spiritinthesky wrote:16th June 2002, 46 years after his first hit, Elvis Presley started a four week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'A Little Less Conversation', (Elvis vs. JXL), giving Elvis a total of 18 UK No.1 singles, the most by any artist in chart history. This also set a new record for the longest span of No.1 hits with 44 years, 11 months and 9 days. His first UK No.1 single was 'All Shook Up' in 1957. http://audioboo.fm/boos/1453345-this-da ... -16th-june

Isn't this record also broken and matched by other artists? I think i read something about Maria Carey or so

Billboard Hot 100!

Not here in the UK.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:06 am

The film version is a truly great version and song of course. The rehearsal is good from the 68 but the remixed travesty set off a dreadful trend with that Viva Las Vegas remix thing being twenty three times worse than the ALLC effort.

It was good that Elvis went to number one of course :D

Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:13 am

Which one of the original versions of ALLC do you like best: either of the ones on the Complete Masters box set (2 versions, one the later '68 Comeback Special version), or the one that was released on (amongst other releases) the Double Features soundtrack cd ?

Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:16 am

What a time it was!

I recall the track growing and growing:

Someone posts on the AEK newsgroup that Elvis was set to have his first UK top 10 hit since "It's Only Love" thanks to a new Nike tv ad. I look out for the ad and then think "wow!". That was his voice all right, and that was a powerful backing track. it works for me.

Then, I see that Dave Pearce had at it No.1 on his dance chart. Dance chart? Surely, I'll wake up any second now. And David Pearce is on BBC Radio 1 - they refuse to play the old artists (Beatles aside).

Then XFM give it as much attention as they would to any hot new track from young acts.

it is 6 weeks before the single is released. Capital FM has a chart which their listeners compile daily by phoning in their favourite song. By the evening, day after day, ALLC is the most requested song. I thought Capital FM don't play Elvis anymore unless it's "Suspicious Minds".

Finally, the single is available in shops. The tabloid newspapers write about the the very surprising possibiity of an Elvis Presley song topping the charts when Sunday comes round. I sit there thinking, no, please don't say that. I'm thinking, don't let the oppostion know! The Kylie single- a record tipped to be another No.1 for her - might suddenly get a boost in sales now that she has a surprising challenger Then, the newsapers say that ALLC is currently out-selling Kylie by 3 to 1.

A friend at work, who doesn't particularly like Elvis, buys ALLC, saying he's doing to stop Kylye being No.1. She was dividing people.

On the shelves at HMV and Virgin, the JXL single is in plentiful supply. There's a reason for that.

Sudddenly I'm listening to the Official top 40 countdown for the first time in years. it seems time has rolled back. A chance of a proper No.1 single (ie not a Post-August 1977 posthuomus smash).

He is announced as the No.1 track (and genuinely so, because the track was No.1 on airplay too - Am I hearing things?). 270 000 sales to Kylie's 70 000 or something like that.

Chart compilers are interviewed to ask if this really is a solo Elvis no.1. The answer is, most definitely.

And the publcity just grows. BMG even hold a party to celebrate the realease of the single. Broadcasters and other radio people attend.

Some people on newsgroups talk of the possibilities for a new re-mixed Beatles track - to try and get back the joint record for No.1 singles.

Some say Sir Cliff Richard must be fuming.

Then the newspapers stir up controversy. They say that, after ALLC's fourth week at No.1, BMG will delete the single so that they can enhance the sales of the forthcoming "30 No.1 Hits" album. The columinists say this is really only being done because BMG now want Gareth Gates - also on their label - to enter at No.1.

Meanwhile, a music video is made for ALLC. It's just right for broadcast, though Elvis fans would like to see the man himself.

The Nike advert carries on through the football (soccer) world cup.

A colleague at work - who always laughed at me for liking Elvis - tries to find something negative to say about the success of the single. He asks if the song resembles the original. I know he's finding it hard to ridicule Elvis at this moment- success tells its own story. He just keeps quiet. What a bad sport!

The opening line of the track becomes like a self-help mantra. I hear it used by so many people to make a point about talking too much.

And it still gets a fair amount of radio airplay and time on video channels.

Today, I still can't believe what happened.

It all started with Jerry Weintraub. He selected the 1968 track - from an album that only the fans really knew about) -for "Oceans's 11". From there, it moved between JXL, EPE, BMG and NIKE. It was an incredible, fortuituous chain of events, where the many different players had strengthened each other.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:17 am

Whenever someone tells me Mariah Carey has had more number one hits than Elvis, I ask them to name one.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:18 am

It would be cool if history could repeat itself and Elvis have another worldwide hit. I would really love to see that.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:22 am

James27 wrote:Which one of the original versions of ALLC do you like best: either of the ones on the Complete Masters box set (2 versions, one the later '68 Comeback Special version), or the one that was released on (amongst other releases) the Double Features soundtrack cd ?

This one, by far!:

phpBB [video]

Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:28 am

James27 wrote:Which one of the original versions of ALLC do you like best: either of the ones on the Complete Masters box set (2 versions, one the later '68 Comeback Special version), or the one that was released on (amongst other releases) the Double Features soundtrack cd ?

Th single version and the album version are very similar - I get them mixed up but one is slightly more aggressive than the other. The one I like the best is track 5 on the Double Features CD. For me, this is certainly in my top ten tracks - astonishing that it an obscure film song from an obscure film.

edit: ALBUM VERSION

Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:42 am

episthebest wrote:It would be cool if history could repeat itself and Elvis have another worldwide hit. I would really love to see that.

If the magic happens again, there is no one, I think, who would be able to predict it. If it comes, it will come slamming out of the blue! A total surprise. No point trying to "make" something like that happen, or figure out the logistics. In a way, wasn't that the story of Elvis's career, of how he hit it in the first place? It wasn't something you predict, or plan, or anything like that. It happened.

Then, of course, the Comeback . . . who could have predicted that? Greil Marcus wrote that one couldn't even have "fantasized" it! But it happened.

They say there are no "third acts" in showbiz. They are wrong.

rjm

Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:46 am

Pretty hard for me, I like all versions. I'd rate them like this:

1. Single Version, Take 16
2. Comeback Special Original Version
3. Album Version, Take 10
4. Remix

The very first version I knew was the one featured on the "Almost In Love" album. Then I bought the "Rare Elvis, Vol. 3" album that featured the single version, which I didn't like in the first place. But when the "Double Features" CD came out, Take 16 started to become my favourite. Also love when Elvis raises his voice during the June '68 vocal overdub. Great stuff.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:15 pm

rjm wrote:
episthebest wrote:It would be cool if history could repeat itself and Elvis have another worldwide hit. I would really love to see that.

If the magic happens again, there is no one, I think, who would be able to predict it. If it comes, it will come slamming out of the blue! A total surprise. No point trying to "make" something like that happen, or figure out the logistics. In a way, wasn't that the story of Elvis's career, of how he hit it in the first place? It wasn't something you predict, or plan, or anything like that. It happened.

Then, of course, the Comeback . . . who could have predicted that? Greil Marcus wrote that one couldn't even have "fantasized" it! But it happened.

They say there are no "third acts" in showbiz. They are wrong.

rjm

I think there are some lesser known Elvis gems from the 60s left that could be remixed and turned into a hit (in capable hands), and in particular "Let Yourself Go".
I remember back when I saw the hip crowd dancing on ALLC in garden parties and the like, hearing it blasting from car radios in the street, hearing it in shops, that I felt very proud of "my guy".
Now they understood my passion for Elvis, and I got serious questions about my collection and about Elvis' life and music. I managed to turn part of my family into fans too, WRONG: Elvis did that, I was just the tool (a happy medium).

The hit gave him credibility and I am sure it pointed a whole new, young generation towards Elvis' music. Finally, it was revolving around MUSIC again, what it was all about regarding Elvis, in the first place. He shook up the world through his music.

With the guys and girls my age and older there's still too much ridicule (the effects of the tabloids, EIC footage, also damaging articles in "serious" magazines) to my liking concerning Elvis, although less than in the 80s and 90s. And what criticism I hear, is ALWAYS sourced from what they hear or read others say or write, never from what they see and hear themselves from Elvis' performances. But with the younger people, Elvis is hipper now than he was since perhaps the early sixties. And whether we like it or not, that has a lot to do with remixes, tributes by other pop and rock stars, the 30 nr. 1 Hits album, commercials, ALLC remix, video "duets" with the likes of CĂ©line Dion, Martina McBride, the use of familiar Elvis gestures, clothes and backgrounds from his performances through contemporary artists, interesting covers of his material, the use of Elvis in contemporary culture, academic science and art and certainly also some high-profiled publicity campaigns where his name and image is used.

No, these remixed versions aren't as good as the originals but I'm glad they're there to introduce a new generation, that has to have a synthetic dance beat under everything, to Elvis' talent. A talent that always came shining through, despite so many obstacles throughout and after his life, from flawed A&R in the 60s and 70s, crappy movies, the bodyguard book, the Goldman book and the abusive "critics" that followed in his wake, the ridiculous Elvis imitators, the bad jokes on tv by ego-inflated talkshow hosts, and so on. All of it did not destroy him. His talent alone fought all of his detractors after his death, and Elvis won time and again by KO. He will always be The King no matter what. :D

Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:06 pm

Suds wrote:

What a time it was!

I recall the track growing and growing:

Someone posts on the AEK newsgroup that Elvis was set to have his first UK top 10 hit since "It's Only Love" thanks to a new Nike tv ad. I look out for the ad and then think "wow!". That was his voice all right, and that was a powerful backing track. it works for me.

Then, I see that Dave Pearce had at it No.1 on his dance chart. Dance chart? Surely, I'll wake up any second now. And David Pearce is on BBC Radio 1 - they refuse to play the old artists (Beatles aside).

Then XFM give it as much attention as they would to any hot new track from young acts.

it is 6 weeks before the single is released. Capital FM has a chart which their listeners compile daily by phoning in their favourite song. By the evening, day after day, ALLC is the most requested song. I thought Capital FM don't play Elvis anymore unless it's "Suspicious Minds".

Finally, the single is available in shops. The tabloid newspapers write about the the very surprising possibiity of an Elvis Presley song topping the charts when Sunday comes round. I sit there thinking, no, please don't say that. I'm thinking, don't let the oppostion know! The Kylie single- a record tipped to be another No.1 for her - might suddenly get a boost in sales now that she has a surprising challenger Then, the newsapers say that ALLC is currently out-selling Kylie by 3 to 1.

A friend at work, who doesn't particularly like Elvis, buys ALLC, saying he's doing to stop Kylye being No.1. She was dividing people.

On the shelves at HMV and Virgin, the JXL single is in plentiful supply. There's a reason for that.

Sudddenly I'm listening to the Official top 40 countdown for the first time in years. it seems time has rolled back. A chance of a proper No.1 single (ie not a Post-August 1977 posthuomus smash).

He is announced as the No.1 track (and genuinely so, because the track was No.1 on airplay too - Am I hearing things?). 270 000 sales to Kylie's 70 000 or something like that.

Chart compilers are interviewed to ask if this really is a solo Elvis no.1. The answer is, most definitely.

And the publcity just grows. BMG even hold a party to celebrate the realease of the single. Broadcasters and other radio people attend.

Some people on newsgroups talk of the possibilities for a new re-mixed Beatles track - to try and get back the joint record for No.1 singles.

Some say Sir Cliff Richard must be fuming.

Then the newspapers stir up controversy. They say that, after ALLC's fourth week at No.1, BMG will delete the single so that they can enhance the sales of the forthcoming "30 No.1 Hits" album. The columinists say this is really only being done because BMG now want Gareth Gates - also on their label - to enter at No.1.

Meanwhile, a music video is made for ALLC. It's just right for broadcast, though Elvis fans would like to see the man himself.

The Nike advert carries on through the football (soccer) world cup.

A colleague at work - who always laughed at me for liking Elvis - tries to find something negative to say about the success of the single. He asks if the song resembles the original. I know he's finding it hard to ridicule Elvis at this moment- success tells its own story. He just keeps quiet. What a bad sport!

The opening line of the track becomes like a self-help mantra. I hear it used by so many people to make a point about talking too much.

And it still gets a fair amount of radio airplay and time on video channels.

Today, I still can't believe what happened.

It all started with Jerry Weintraub. He selected the 1968 track - from an album that only the fans really knew about) -for "Oceans's 11". From there, it moved between JXL, EPE, BMG and NIKE. It was an incredible, fortuituous chain of events, where the many different players had strengthened each other.

Wonderful post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:46 pm

episthebest wrote:It's a shame it didn't do the same in the U.S.

Really? Seems to me it was everywhere here too, at least in TX. I was past my first phase of loving Elvis and hadn't dusted off my discs for a while when it came out. I remember hearing it on our local Mix station that typically plays the maroon 5 kelly clarkson stuff. Went to multiple weddings where the Dj played it. It seemed to me at the time to be a natural hit (not a forced hit) where the general public truly liked it and boosted it. Reminded me of the 80s when Ferris Bueller pushed Twist and Dhout into the top ten or Good Morning Vietnam pushed Louis Armstrongs "wonderful world" into the top ten too. Both were played regularly on top 40 stations, still boggles my mind about Louis Armstrong!