Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Which superb Elvis blues tracks should be on any playlis

Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:33 pm

Blue River wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:"Tell Me Why" isn't a blues song. It's a doo-wop ballad.

drjohn, I've got your doo-wop.

Elvis' version of "Tell Me Why" can easily be considered R&B... no doubt about it.

R&B is not the same as the Blues!

Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:15 pm

skatterbrane wrote:
Blue River wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:"Tell Me Why" isn't a blues song. It's a doo-wop ballad.

Elvis' version of "Tell Me Why" can easily be considered R&B... no doubt about it.

R&B is not the same as the Blues!

Yes, I know that. I haven't stated that they are the same.

rjm wrote:When you say "blue ballads," some were done as either blues or R&B, while some were more in the "soul" category. The kind of soul where a country or pop song is transformed, usually by a gospel treatment, into soul music.
Then again, some soul records ARE R&B.

It's a case-by-case basis, according to fairly complex criteria.

Yes indeed.
My listing of 22 songs demonstrates Elvis in a "blue mood" with several different genre overtones, yet not straying too far from a "Blues" and/or "R&B" feel.
In my earlier posts, I didn't write "blues" ballads, I wrote "blue ballads".

Paul McCartney (or Elvis) singing "Yesterday" doesn't have the same effect to my ears.

Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:55 pm

fn2drive wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
rollinson1 wrote:Only one person (Blue River) I can see has mentioned Tell Me Why. Fantastic blues song, Fantastic interpretation By Elvis. Trouble is no one at Rca knew what they had the day they signed Elvis Presley.

"Tell Me Why" isn't a blues song. It's a doo-wop ballad. In fact, at the time of the original release by Marie Knight in March 1956, Billboard called "Tell Me Why" "straight rock and roll." It was shelved at the time by Steve Sholes at RCA because of the fear it was too close to "Just A Closer Walk With Thee."

560331_Wing 90069_Knight.JPG
Marie Knight "Tell Me Why" (Wing 90069, March 31, 1956)
Hear a sample of Knight's original release, click --> HERE.

Below is a full-page Billboard ad for all the latest Wing Records releases, including a hot one from Freddie and the Bell Boys! Elvis would soon be seeing this group, and getting a great idea for a song to cover.

Billboard Apr 07 1956 p39.JPG
Billboard - April 7, 1956

Here's the Billboard page with the review of Marie's single, Wing 90069:

Billboard Apr 07 1956 p48.JPG
Billboard - April 7, 1956

Anyway, definitely a nice song, but not blues.

Thanks Doc. It really shows how Elvis had a remarkable ability to cover a song, remain authentic to it and yet add something unique. A very gifted artist he was.

Absolutely. His cover of this lovely doo-wop single made for a nice, if outdated, release in 1965. Thanks for the kudos.

Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:05 pm

dennyelvis wrote:Also liked "Blue Rhythms" from 1983 ........

Trouble - Reconsider Baby - A Mess Of Blues - Give Me The Right - Such A Night - When It Rains, It Really Pours - Trying To Get To You - Like A Baby - I Want To Be Free - Mean Woman Blues - Ain't That Loving You Baby - One Night - Little Sister - So Glad You're Mine - Big Boss Man - I Want You With Me - Baby What You Want Me To Do - Santa Claus Is Back In Town - Stuck On You - I Feel So Bad - What I'd Say - Tomorrow Night - It Feels So Right - Merry Christmas Baby ..........
This is a fantastic tracklisting although I wouldn't consider "Little Sister", "Such A Night" or "What'd I Say" as a blues. I'd leave them out and the (to my ears) awful "I Want To Be Free" and you have yourself a great blues album (although I don't make a secret out of not liking "It Feel So Right" very much).

Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:06 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote: I don't make a secret out of not liking "It Feel So Right" very much

I HATE that bloody song! It's horrible!

Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:07 am

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote: I don't make a secret out of not liking "It Feel So Right" very much

The March 21, 1960 Presley master sounds incredible to these ears, and I would gladly program it for a "newbie." The effortless command of his voice, the lasciviousness in his delivery, the fabulous, edgy arrangement and the stunning sound of Nashville's Studio B make for one of his finest-ever album tracks. What's more amazing, it was a fresh contribution from a team I have little respect for, Fred Wise and Ben Weisman.

It Feels So Right
http://www.elvisrecordings.com/s600320.htm#60_1_song6

Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:04 am

A masterpiece, indeed. But one question: for the movie Tickle Me Elvis recorded a new version?

Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:04 am

jurasic1968 wrote:A masterpiece, indeed. But one question: for the movie Tickle Me Elvis recorded a new version?

No new version, but the intro to "It Feels So Right" used in the 1965 film, Tickle Me, was a nice addition to an already cool song! :wink:

phpBB [video]

Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:23 am

Very good. thank you very much. The best song in Tickle Me. I wonder if in other movies were used old songs of Elvis maybe we never had Old Mac Donald or Yoga is as Yoga does.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:37 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:

The March 21, 1960 Presley master sounds incredible to these ears, and I would gladly program it for a "newbie." The effortless command of his voice, the lasciviousness in his delivery, the fabulous, edgy arrangement and the stunning sound of Nashville's Studio B make for one of his finest-ever album tracks. What's more amazing, it was a fresh contribution from a team I have little respect for, Fred Wise and Ben Weisman.

It Feels So Right
http://www.elvisrecordings.com/s600320.htm#60_1_song6

Although it contains a slight lyrics mistake by our man... :wink:

After "Girl Next Door Went A-Walking" this has always been the least favourite of mine on that album. Followed closely by "Fever". Don't get me wrong, these are all sublime performances and I don't skip them when listening to the whole "Elvis Is Back!" album. But I very rarely, if at all, use them for self-made compilations.

"Elvis Is Back!" - my list:

1. Reconsider Baby
2. Like A Baby
3. Such A Night
4. I Will Be Home Again
5. Thrill Of Your Love
6. Make Me Know It
7. The Girl Of My Best Friend
8. Dirty, Dirty Feeling
9. Soldier Boy
10. Fever
11. It Feels So Right
12. Girl Next Door Went A-Walking

The first eight tracks on my list I love very, very much!

Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:29 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:(It Feels So Right)...

I don't think there's a mistake... just a slight change in lyrics.

1st time - "We're gonna' love our whole life through"
2nd time - "We're gonna' love our whole life long"

Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:50 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:"Tell Me Why" isn't a blues song. It's a doo-wop ballad. In fact, at the time of the original release by Marie Knight...

Read the title of this topic again, drjohncarpenter >> Which superb Elvis blues tracks should be on any playlist?
It's about Elvis Presley, not Marie Knight or anyone else.

"Tell Me Why", recorded by Elvis Presley in 1957, certainly was not/is not a doo-wop ballad.

He made it his own and turned it into an R&B/blues styled ballad. It can even be considered "indescribably" blue. :wink:
Hey, that's a perfect title for all the following -

~Indescribably Blue~
01. Blue Moon - 1954
02. How's The World Treating You - 1956
03. Love Me - 1956
04. Tell Me Why - 1957
05. That's When Your Heartaches Begin - 1957
06. I Need You So - 1957
07. Blueberry Hill (take #3) - January 19, 1957
08. Don't Leave Me Now (second version, 2017 - take #18) - May 3, 1957
09. Are You Lonesome Tonight? (take #2) April 4, 1960
10. Lonely Man (solo version - take #3) - November 7, 1960
11. Give Me The Right - 1961
12. Something Blue (take #4) - March 18, 1962
13. I Need Somebody To Lean On - 1963
14. I've Been Blue (private, informal home recording, fade out at 0:54) - 1966
15. Indescribably Blue - 1966
16. Just Call Me Lonesome - 1967
17. Long Black Limousine (take #6 - faded out at 3:55) - January 13, 1969
18. I Really Don't Want To Know (undubbed master) - June 7, 1970
19. I'll Be Home On Christmas Day (undubbed, take #4) - May 16, 1971
20. I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry - with alternate verse, (private, informal recording) - November 1973
21. Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues - 1973
22. She Thinks I Still Care - (undubbed master), February 1976

::rocks

Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:19 am

Blue River wrote:Someone posted

Still working this old angle? Nobody's fooled brother, let it be, let it be.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:30 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:
dennyelvis wrote:Also liked "Blue Rhythms" from 1983 ........

Trouble - Reconsider Baby - A Mess Of Blues - Give Me The Right - Such A Night - When It Rains, It Really Pours - Trying To Get To You - Like A Baby - I Want To Be Free - Mean Woman Blues - Ain't That Loving You Baby - One Night - Little Sister - So Glad You're Mine - Big Boss Man - I Want You With Me - Baby What You Want Me To Do - Santa Claus Is Back In Town - Stuck On You - I Feel So Bad - What I'd Say - Tomorrow Night - It Feels So Right - Merry Christmas Baby ..........
This is a fantastic tracklisting although I wouldn't consider "Little Sister", "Such A Night" or "What'd I Say" as a blues. I'd leave them out and the (to my ears) awful "I Want To Be Free" and you have yourself a great blues album (although I don't make a secret out of not liking "It Feel So Right" very much).

Well... I want to be free would fit in, But i would choose the Movie version for it with elvis singing softer (more bluesy)

Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:36 am

Blue River wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:(It Feels So Right)...

I don't think there's a mistake... just a slight change in lyrics.

1st time - "We're gonna' love our whole life through"
2nd time - "We're gonna' love our whole life long"

Yeah but I don't think "through" is the correct word as it doesn't necessarily rhyme with "wrong".
Elvis did that quite a few times. "Milky White Way" and "We Can Make The Morning", to name but a few.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:31 pm

Matthew wrote:
Blue River wrote:Someone posted

Still working this old angle? Nobody's fooled brother, let it be, let it be.

Ah yes, "someone." Who can forget the "chevyford"-"R&B player"-"Blue River" trifecta? ;-)

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:56 am

Lucky, did you ever say what you don't like about that song?

Is it a "morality" thing? "If it feels so right, how can it be wrong?" Is that it? Because it sure is a lot of fun! It's just a song: not meant to be taken as a guide to living. It's "bad" but it's just fun. Mischief.

What else could be wrong with it?

rjm
P.S. -- "Just Call Me Lonesome" is neither blues nor R&B nor soul. It's not even that sincerely "blue" in mood. It's country-pop. It just is. There are about 3 more that are tough to justify, though you could try. But the one I mentioned here doesn't make the cut.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:08 am

rjm wrote:Lucky, did you ever say what you don't like about that song?

Is it a "morality" thing? "If it feels so right, how can it be wrong?" Is that it? Because it sure is a lot of fun! It's just a song: not meant to be taken as a guide to living. It's "bad" but it's just fun. Mischief.

What else could be wrong with it?

rjm
P.S. -- "Just Call Me Lonesome" is neither blues nor R&B nor soul. It's not even that sincerely "blue" in mood. It's country-pop. It just is. There are about 3 more that are tough to justify, though you could try. But the one I mentioned here doesn't make the cut.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Hey rjm, no it's not a morality thing at all. I simply don't dig the verses musicially (especially I find the guitar quite annoying). I like the bridge part ("this isn't only for tonight...") but it has never been a favourite of mine. Just listened to the song this morning on my way to work and I still think it kinda devaluates the whole "Elvis Is Back!" album just like its follow-up "Girl Next Door Went A-Walking". Luckily enough they will be followed by two of Elvis' greatest blues recordings.

And "Just Call Me Lonesome" is to me the probably purest country recording Elvis ever made.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:09 pm

Thanks for the reply. To each his own!

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta