Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Which superb Elvis blues tracks should be on any playlist?

Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:04 pm

Winston recently gave us a nice thread on Reconsider Baby. Let's honour the great blues recordings Elvis made throughout his career. Which great Elvis blues songs should in your opinion be included on the 'definitive' Elvis blues play list? Numourous compilations on the subject of course have been released, but maybe we can add some surprises and create an enjoyable play list.

To kick-off:

1. When It Rails, It Pours (Sun, November 1955)
2. My Baby Left Me (Master, January 30, 1956)
3. Reconsider Baby (Master, April 4, 1960)
4. I Feel So Bad (Master, March 12, 1961)
5. Stranger In My Own Hometown (Master, February 17, 1969)

Re: Which superb Elvis blues tracks should be on any playlis

Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:05 pm

So Glad You're Mine has to be there! Best blues he ever did!

Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:32 pm

Alexander wrote:Numourous compilations on the subject of course have been released

there actually hasn`t been that many, the definitive elvis blues compilation has yet to be released (with a minimum of 2 cd`s) but my favourite is RECONSIDER BABY the 12 tracker from 1985! Rehearsal of Stranger...going back home to Memphis going to start driving that dam truck again...luv it

Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:37 pm

Give Me The Right
I Feel So Bad
It Feels So Right
Like A Baby
Mess Of Blues
Big Boss Man
All I Needed Was The Rain
Down In The Alley
Hi Heel Sneakers
Power of My Love

Plenty to choose from.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:43 pm

Alexander wrote:1. When It Rails, It Pours (Sun, November 1955)

Damned! A new song has been found! :wink:

Does anybody recall the german LP "Elvis Sings The Blues", compiled by Helmut Radermacher? That's one good thing to start with.
Last edited by luckyjackson1 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:43 pm

Made a compilation a while back and reconsider baby live 69 (1991 CG Version) and steamroller blues 74 from Platinum Box are my favorites.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:52 pm

With 13 tracks as a result of the contribution of Swingin we are now outgrowing the LP format:

1. When It Rails, It Pours (Sun, November 1955)
2. My Baby Left Me (Master, January 30, 1956)
3. A Mess Of Blues (Master, March 21, 1960)
4. Like A Baby (Master, April 3, 1960)
5. Reconsider Baby (Master, April 4, 1960)
6. I Feel So Bad (Master, March 12, 1961)
7. Give Me The Right (Master, March 12, 1961)
8. Down In The Alley (Master, May 26, 1966)
9. Big Boss Man (Master, September 10, 1967)
10. Hi Heel Sneakers (Master, September 11. 1967)
11. All I Needed Was The Rain (Master, October 1, 1967)
12. Stranger In My Own Hometown (Master, February 17, 1969)
13. Power Of My Love (Master, February 18, 1969)
Last edited by Alexander on Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:53 pm

Indeed, heres the tracklisting ...........

When It Rain It Really Pours
New Orleans
It Feels So Right
A Mess Of Blues
Like A Baby
Reconsider Baby
I Feel So Bad
Give Me The Right
Beach Boy Blues
Big Boss Man
Stranger In My Own Home Town
Power Of My Love
My Babe
Got My Mojo Working
Steamroller Blues

Also liked "Blue Rhythms" from 1983 ........

Trouble - Reconsider Baby - A Mess Of Blues - Give Me The Right - Such A Night - When It Rains, It Really Pours - Trying To Get To You - Like A Baby - I Want To Be Free - Mean Woman Blues - Ain't That Loving You Baby - One Night - Little Sister - So Glad You're Mine - Big Boss Man - I Want You With Me - Baby What You Want Me To Do - Santa Claus Is Back In Town - Stuck On You - I Feel So Bad - What I'd Say - Tomorrow Night - It Feels So Right - Merry Christmas Baby ..........

Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:59 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:

Does anybody recall the german LP "Elvis Sings The Blues", compiled by Helmut Radermacher? That's one good thing to start with.

I've checked and the SUN version is listed that way on Keith Flynns excellent website http://www.keithflynn.com/recording-sessions/50_index.html.. It was track 7 on album 1 from the Golden Celebration set in 1984 which also lists the title being When It Rains, It Pours.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:42 pm

Alexander wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:

I've checked and the SUN version is listed that way on Keith Flynns excellent website http://www.keithflynn.com/recording-sessions/50_index.html.. It was track 7 on album 1 from the Golden Celebration set in 1984 which also lists the title being When It Rains, It Pours.

I was actually talking about the typo you did twice now... :wink:

You wrote "When It RaiLs, It Pours". No offense taken, just a little reminder. :)

BTW, we also have the great "Reconsider Baby" album from 1985. Loved that tracklisting.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:09 pm

Merry Christmas Baby is one of my favorites.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:21 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
Alexander wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:

I was actually talking about the typo you did twice now... :wink:

You wrote "When It RaiLs, It Pours". No offense taken, just a little reminder. :)

BTW, we also have the great "Reconsider Baby" album from 1985. Loved that tracklisting.

Keep them Rails pouring... :sosorry:

Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:30 pm

So here are my votes:

Baby What You Want Me To Do – This standard from Jimmy Reed runs like a gutsy refrain through the ’68-shows. He is singing it in a trance. This is a fantastic down and dirty performance.

Down In The Alley – Elvis’ rousing 1966 cover of the Clovers is fun to listen and you can hear that Elvis comes back to life. Great!

Got My Mojo Working – Our man sounds inspired and enthused in this jam. For me it is a shock that Elvis described it as mediocre sh*t, not good or bad. It is a truly outstanding performance.

Like A Baby – Elvis was the perfect manchild to sing a song about a lover cried like a baby, because he can not break free. The song fitted to our man perfectly like a Cadillac!

Milkcow Blues Boogie – This is an overlooked song from SUN. For me a fine frenetic performance. Elvis is so fast and furios on it.

Tomorrow Night – Elvis sounds like a ghost and it is an unusual track for him. He recreated the melancholy beauty of the original from Lonnie Johnson.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:35 pm

This was a nice compilation from a few years back -
http://www.elvisoncd.com/eigenecd/CD/u/ultimatecollection-blues.htm
It spent a lot of time in my CD player when it came out.

A song I've always liked is 'Anyplace Is Paradise'. It has a nice bluesy feel to it.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:40 pm

KevinK wrote:This was a nice compilation from a few years back -
http://www.elvisoncd.com/eigenecd/CD/u/ultimatecollection-blues.htm
It spent a lot of time in my CD player when it came out.

A song I've always liked is 'Anyplace Is Paradise'. It has a nice bluesy feel to it.

An otherwise REALLY nice collection but I can't see what one of the fifties' biggest stinkers, "Hot Dog" is doing on that disc??!?!? :wtf:
Replace that one with another '57 recording, "Santa Claus Is Back In Town" for example and you got yourself a great collection.
But wait, there are a lot of people who won't listen to that tune until December... :?

Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:14 pm

another track to add....SHAKE A HAND ;)

Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:20 pm

My Elvis blues songs playlist would be

My baby's gone
Tomorrow night
When it rain's it really pours
Santa Clause is back in town
Trouble
New Orleans
One night of sin
Reconsider baby
A Mess of blues
It feels so right
Like a baby
It feels so bad
Put the blame on me
Down in the alley
High heel sneakers
Big boss man
All i needed was the rain
My babe
Baby what you want me to do
Stranger in my own hometown
Merry Christmas baby (extended version)
Steamroller blues

Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:06 pm

It's no small coincidence Martin Scorsese used Mystery Train on his (excellent) 5 CD box set "Martin Scorsese Presents The Blues", a set that includes original versions of such songs as Good Rockin' Tonight, Reconsider Baby, and Big Boss Man.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:28 pm

Mystery train
My Baby gone
My baby left me
One night
Trouble
Reconsider baby
It feels so right
I feel so bad
Big boss man
Stranger in my own home town

Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:35 am

Which superb Elvis blues tracks should be on any playlist? Well, no one has highlighted this essential gem yet:

"Santa Claus Is Back In Town" (Jerry Leiber, Mike Stoller)
Recorded Saturday, September 5, 1957, Radio Recorders, West Hollywood, CA
Note: working title was "Christmas Blues"

Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:19 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Which superb Elvis blues tracks should be on any playlist? Well, no one has highlighted this essential gem yet:

Lucky mentioned it, but said a lot of people don't like to listen to it 'till December. And I'm one of those people. I hate to "stale it." It's one of the highlights of the season. I know that sounds silly, but I've never put it on a "regular" playlist.

(I have a long blues playlist, titled and paraphrased after something Elvis said on stage in '69. He said "World's Oldest Bluesman" before doing a blues. So I called my playlist "World's Youngest Bluesman." Well, it was 1969, and not 2013. Elvis was dancing around the racial aspects of being "a bluesman." Most of the young bluesmen then, of course, were white.)

rjm

Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:03 am

There are so many if you actually look into it, but my personal favorites are Reconsider, Baby and Stranger In My Own Hometown.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:37 am

This is my set, which unlike some of the others posted here, makes it imperative for the sound, I repeat, for the sound of each track to be followed by a similarly sounding track, as well as to be chronologically arranged. No composition by someone who is not an African American is included either, no matter how bluesy the song happens to be with a few songs written by African Americans also left out, like Tutti Frutti, so as to limit the number of Elvis covers, by one particular artist, to two with the exception of Elvis favourite bluesman, Arthur Crudup, who gets three and Otis Blackkwell, who also gets three. This 2 set Cd would be aptly called "Elvis and the Blues"

Side One (mono) That's all right/Milkcow Blues boogie/Good Rocking tonight/Baby, let's play house/Mystery Train/Trying to get to you/I got a woman/Money Honey/One sided love affair/I'm gonna sit right down and cry (over you)/Lawdy Miss Clawdy/My baby left me/Shake rattle and Roll (alternate take)/So glad you're mine/Don't be cruel/Rip it up/Long Tall sally/Ready Teddy/Mean Woman Blues/I need you so/All shook up/One night/When it rains, it really pours(1957 version)/Hard headed woman//Ain't that loving you, baby (fast version)

Side Two (stereo)
Reconsider, Baby/Like a baby/Such a night/ Make me know it/I feel so bad/Return to sender/What'd I say/Down in the alley/Big Boss man/Too much monkey business/Only the strong survive/Stranger in my own home town/Baby what do you want me to do/My babe/Johnny B. Goode (1969, Live), Tiger Man/See See Rider (1970, live)/Promised Land/Shake a hand and Pledging my love
Last edited by Jaime1234 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:50 am, edited 6 times in total.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:46 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Which superb Elvis blues tracks should be on any playlist? Well, no one has highlighted this essential gem yet:

Christmas song aside... it's one of his best recordings from 1957!!

These would be my picks for a blues-themed compilation:

One Night of Sin
So Glad You´re Mine
Lawdy, Miss Clawdy (68 Special)
Give Me The Right
Santa Claus Is Back In Town
Trying To Get To You (68 Special)
New Orleans
Reconsider Baby
When It Rains, It Really Pours
I Feel So Bad
I’m Left, You’re Right, My Baby’s Gone
Hi-Heel Sneakers
Trouble
Stranger In My Own Home Town
Merry Christmas Baby
Baby What Do You Want Me To Do (68 Special)
Steamroller Blues (Aloha From Hawaii)
A Mess Of Blues
Down In The Alley

Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:20 pm

rjm wrote:(I have a long blues playlist, titled and paraphrased after something Elvis said on stage in '69. He said "World's Oldest Bluesman" before doing a blues. So I called my playlist "World's Youngest Bluesman." Well, it was 1969, and not 2013. Elvis was dancing around the racial aspects of being "a bluesman." Most of the young bluesmen then, of course, were white.)

rjm

Does he say 'World's oldest Bluesman' though? On the 'Today, Tomorrow and Forever' boxset it states this in the notes but it always sounded to me like he says 'World's oldest blues lick' while playing the intro to 'Baby, what you want me to do', which would make more sense as a statement ... Does he say this anywhere else? It does seem an odd statement considering his age etc... To me anyway.