Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis Folk

Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:00 am

poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:I would say 1966's "Beyond The Reef," Elvis singing with Charlie and Red West, is a better match.

Errrrr....that sounds nothing like Peter, Paul and Mary.

Sit up, pay attention:

Three-part harmony: "Beyond The Reef"
No three-part harmony: "For Lovin' Me"

Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:07 am

George Smith wrote:Elvis' take on "For Lovin' Me" does draw from Peter, Paul & Mary but lyrically he's also leaning heavily on Waylon Jennings:

phpBB [video]

I put together a 1971 folk album a couple of years ago: see here for more details ...

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58014

Great observations, as always, and that topic ("1971") was a joy then, remains a delight today:

Exodus.jpg

Elvis Presley Exodus (RCA 3577, 1971)
1 (Prologue): “I Shall Be Released”
2: “I’m Leavin’”
3: “The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face”
4: “Early Mornin’ Rain”
5: “It’s Still Here”
6: “Until It’s Time For You To Go”

7: “Help Me Make It Through The Night”
8: “It’s Only Love”
9: “I’ll Take You Home Again, Kathleen”
10: “For Lovin’ Me”
11: “Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right”
12: “I Will Be True”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:35 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:
midnightx wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
matilda wrote:
Winston wrote: I Shall Be Released – This are the most tremendous 48 seconds of Elvis in the studio. 

excuse me.....?
nice adlib , yes....but "most tremendous 48 seconds of elvis in the studio".....that statement can't be in no way serious.

He's spot-on. It's one of the best things Elvis put on tape in a studio in the '70s. It's such a shame a full version was apparently not considered. Felton Jarvis should have found the lyrics and begged him to run it down.

Hey, they were creating magic with It's Only Love. They had to keep their eye on the ball.

So magical they couldn't even manage to get that bridge right.

Here's one of my splicing efforts to preserve that bridge as good as possible - pure magic:

It's Only Love (Splice Of Takes 1, 7 & 9).wav (File size: 41MB)
http://www23.zippyshare.com/v/61384081/file.html

Otherwise agreed with "I Shall Be Released". He should have recorded way more Dylan songs.

I like that edit. Good job.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:12 pm

promiseland wrote:
trouble_jw wrote:I would have loved to have seen a 'Elvis - Folk' album as a follow up to 'Elvis- Country'. It seemed the idea was certainly in mind with some of the 1971 recordings;

- Early Morning Rain
- Don't Think Twice
- Until It's Time For You To Go
- Fools Rush In (no really folk, but would fit on)
- For Lovin' Me
- Help Me Make It Through The Night (Again, not strictly 'folk' but would have fit on'.

I also think 'A Thing Called Love' could have fit on this album with a different arrangement. I think 'Ain't no big thing' may have had a place on the album too had it not been on 'Love Letters'.

Regardless of more folk recordings being done, the released 'Elvis - Now' could have been a hell of a lot stronger (with a more folk feel) with the material available.

Side 1.
1. It's Only Love
2. Help Me Make It Through The Night
3. A Thing Called Love
4. Until It's Time For You To Go
5. Early Morning Rain

Side 2

1. I'm Leavin
2. That's What You Get For Lovin' Me
3. I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen
4. Fool Rush In
5. Don't think twice, It's all right

He could have easily also done a remake called "Folk Salad Annie" which would have required almost no lyric changes! :D

"Everybody Called It Folk - bmp-bmp-- Salad"
"Sock A Little Folk Salad To Me"

This great theory could also apply to other songs such as:

Folk Me Tender
When My Blue Moon Turns To Folk Again
Big Love Big Folk Ache
Moody Folk
Santa Bring My Folk Back To Me
Folk Christmas
There Will Be Folk In The Valley
I Don't Care If The Folk Don't Shine
Good Folkin' Tonight
You're A Folkbreaker
Milkcow Folk Boogie
Baby Let's Play Folk
Folkbreak Hotel
Folk Rattle And Roll
Anyway You Folk Me
How's The Folk Treating You
Folk Tall Sally
A Mess Of Folk
Too Much Monkey Folk
Edge Of Folkality
Where Could I Go But To The Folk
Woman Without Folk
I'll Never fall In Folk Again
The Last Folkwell
Blue Eyes Folking In The Rain
How Great Thou Folk
F-O-L-K
If You Folk In Your Sleep

The possibilities are endless to what Elvis Presley could have achieved if only he had given up The "King Of Rock" to be "The King Of Folk" !

::rocks

oooooooo-k...... smt179

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:13 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
midnightx wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
matilda wrote:
Winston wrote: I Shall Be Released – This are the most tremendous 48 seconds of Elvis in the studio. 

excuse me.....?
nice adlib , yes....but "most tremendous 48 seconds of elvis in the studio".....that statement can't be in no way serious.

He's spot-on. It's one of the best things Elvis put on tape in a studio in the '70s. It's such a shame a full version was apparently not considered. Felton Jarvis should have found the lyrics and begged him to run it down.

Hey, they were creating magic with It's Only Love. They had to keep their eye on the ball.

So magical they couldn't even manage to get that bridge right.

Here's one of my splicing efforts to preserve that bridge as good as possible - pure magic:

It's Only Love (Splice Of Takes 1, 7 & 9).wav (File size: 41MB)
http://www23.zippyshare.com/v/61384081/file.html

Otherwise agreed with "I Shall Be Released". He should have recorded way more Dylan songs.

Love it, thanks!

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:27 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
George Smith wrote:Elvis' take on "For Lovin' Me" does draw from Peter, Paul & Mary but lyrically he's also leaning heavily on Waylon Jennings:

phpBB [video]

I put together a 1971 folk album a couple of years ago: see here for more details ...

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58014&hilit=exodus

Blimey, not heard that before. Jennings certainly made much better recordings in later years; that one pretty much kills the folkish sound completely - although you are correct, Presley's version seems to use his lyrics.

A little off-topic but Waylon got better when he split up with his producer in the early 70's and produced his recordings by himself. Then he became a real "outlaw". :wink:

I always thought Elvis' version of "(That's What You Get) For Lovin' Me" was a bit lame. We all know he wasn't feeling well on that 15th of March in 1971 and we can hear it on that recording.