Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Laughing version of "Are You Lonesome Tonight"?

Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:04 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:What do y'all think is the best audio quality for that performance? I still prefer the "original mix" as found on the single and the Elvis Aaron Presley box set.

Me too!

Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:12 am

thekingtcb wrote:I first want to begin by stating that I have been visiting this site for quite awhile now, purely to read about Elvis. I have joined the site, and this is my first post. I wanted to inquire about the famous "laughing version" of "Are You Lonesome Tonight"? From what I can recall, he sang this version in August of 1969, at the International, during his first tour back since the '68 Comeback? I could be wrong about that, but that is what I remember The exact date escapes my mind; though during the song, as the title would suggest, Elvis started laughing uncontrollably about something, though I have read conflicting reports as to what that may have been. I once read that there was a bald man in the audience with a wig, which shifted during the performance, to which Elvis took amusement to, thus changing the lyrics to, "Do you gaze at your bald head and wish you had hair?" I have also heard that this was apart of a running gag between himself and Charlie Hodge, in which they would try to make the other one laugh, often in a public manner. Nonetheless, whatever it was that caused Elvis' lighthearted mood, perhaps he was just excited, I was wondering if any video has ever been found of the performance? I will attach a link to the video, so that all of you can experience this as well, as it truly is Elvis in his most playful and fun mood, in my opinion. Thank you all for any help you may be able to provide as to finding a video of the performance, if it exists, that is. Regardless, thank you for reading and have a fantastic day.

phpBB [video]

Logan

As noted, there is no known video of this unique live performance:

Are You Lonesome To-night? - August 26, 1969 MS

Below is a nice shot of Elvis and Sweet Inspirations singer Cissy Houston. That's her soprano contralto on the recording.

Elvis and Cissy Houston - Las Vegas, August 1969

If you listen to the entire show on the Follow That Dream release, All Shook Up, you can hear Elvis had a case of the "sillies" the entire time. Given that, it is clear something about Cissy Houston's soprano obbligato during "Are You Lonesome To-night?" makes him break up.

"Sing it, baby!"

Houston, founder of the Sweet Inspirations, worked with Elvis from late July to August 28, 1969 at the International Hotel. Shortly after completing that engagement she made the decision to leave her group and create a solo career. Soprano Ann Williams took her place in the Sweets when Elvis returned to the International the following January.

In an interview a few years back, session regular Millie Kirkham stated she was only ever with Elvis in concert one time --- at the International from August 10-16, 1970. Los Angeles singer Kathy Westmoreland took over the soprano parts starting with the Monday, August 17, 1970 DS.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:59 pm

Kathy Westmoreland took over the soprano parts starting with the Monday, August 17, 1970 DS

Never realised Kathy took over that soon ?

Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:26 am

dennyelvis wrote:
Kathy Westmoreland took over the soprano parts starting with the Monday, August 17, 1970 DS

Never realised Kathy took over that soon ?

Yup. And she was there for the next seven years, longer than any other Presley soprano.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:11 am

Thank you Doc for that information, it's very interesting for me to hear about Cissy Houston's time with Elvis, albeit short, as it created many memorable moments.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:30 pm

thekingtcb wrote:Thank you Doc for that information, it's very interesting for me to hear about Cissy Houston's time with Elvis, albeit short, as it created many memorable moments.

My pleasure!

Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:35 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Houston, founder of the Sweet Inspirations, worked with Elvis from late July to August 26, 1969 at the International Hotel.

She was there for the complete engagement, was she not?

Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:58 pm

Rob wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Houston, founder of the Sweet Inspirations, worked with Elvis from late July to August 28, 1969 at the International Hotel.

She was there for the complete engagement, was she not?

Apparently so.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:03 pm

The last show of the engagement on August 28th, right?

The statement above says she was there until August 26th.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:11 pm

Rob wrote:The last show of the engagement on August 28th, right?

The statement above says she was there until August 26th.

Only in your post, my short-loving friend. ;-)