Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis weirdest songs - From Uncut legends magazine

Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:31 pm

midnightx wrote:
K.C. wrote:I always though "Old Shep" was an odd choice for a new young rocker to put on his second album. The song seemed out of place.

Not odd if one is familiar with that era of Elvis' life and career.

It is also an incredible, almost haunting vocal. And Elvis pulls it off with ease. He was so damn good back then.

I think "sentimental" is one of the reasons Elvis recorded this song. It was a trip down memory lane the he remembered singing it in public at the age of ten. Same could be said of "Thats When Your Heartaches Begin" the song that really got it all started for him....

Old Shep is a soppy song that should never have on his second album amongst some R'n'R classics. The song would have been better off in one of his daft 60's movies.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:42 pm

poormadpeter, "My Boy" jokes are as irritating as certain annoying people who are always posting comments that insult others. But they are best dealt with in the same way; JUST IGNORE THEM.

Re: "Old Shep". I respect the song and Elvis' performance. But I rarely listen to it (like "Loving You"). It just drags too much.

Interesting that their assessment of "Life" is very similar to mine. They just forgot to mention the gospel element.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:44 pm

Completely agree with the article, all the mentioned songs I'll skip upon hearing the intro and My Boy I prefer over Old Shep any day of the week.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:53 pm

Some people just repeat theirselves over and over :wink:

Anyway, a rather amusing read although I also think "Old Shep" should be omitted from that list.
Although I rarely listen to it but when I'm in the right (or wrong) mood this darn thing can bring tears to my eyes.
Well, the other songs too but for different reasons. :P

And way back when I couldn't really understand the words to it, I used to like "Life".

Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:11 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
elvis1977br wrote:YOGA IS AS YOGA DOES : On which the King complains about his intense dislike of yoga. Features the immortal line “I should probably take
this yoga serious/but all I get is a pain in my posterious”.

DOMINIC (THE IMPOTENT BULL) : Elvis berates a prize steer for being uninterested in procreation on this jaunty polka number.

SONG OF THE SHRIMP: A shrimp leaves his parents to visit the big city. He is eaten, but perhaps more shocking is the fact that this song is delivered with a straight face.

LIFE: A bold attempt to squeeze an explanation of Big Bang theory, Darwinism and the meaning of existence into three and a half minutes.

OLD SHEP: Hear Elvis croon his sadness at having to put down his faithful hound. “With hands that were trembling/I picked up my gun/And aimed it at Shep’s head”.On reflection, more sinister than weird.

THE BULLFIGHTER WAS A LADY : Olé! More bull-related oddness as a vicious bovine is tamed by a comely female matador.

THE FORT LAUDERDALE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Infinitely zippier than its bureaucratic title would suggest, this is still a distinctly strange subject for a song.

HE'S YOUR UNCLE, NOT YOUR DAD: Pained and heartfelt lament about having to hand over high levels of income to Uncle Sam in the form of taxes.

QUEEN WAHINE’S PAPAYA: This cut from the Paradise, Hawaiian Style soundtrack is notable for the fact that its constantly increasing speed sounds like Elvis is running down a very steep hill while singing.

(THERE’S) NO ROOM TO RHUMBA IN A SPORTS CAR: This cut from 1963’s Fun In Acapulco shows how brazen Elvis’ movie scriptwriters could be in using songs
to advance the plot, no matter how ridiculous their titles.

Obviously a MAJOR brain f-a-r-t including Old Shep on that list. A tremendous, passionate performance by Elvis in his prime... it has no place being grouped with the likes of those others... there's nothing wierd about the delivery, music or lyrics.

Although not big fan of Old Shep and Life, I would remove them from the list. Any number of soundtrack songs could take their place. There is nothing weirder than Elvis breaking out into song in an everyday life situation. You can include A Dog' Life (insane lyrics even for a 5 yr old) or Barefoot Ballad for the title alone!

Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:15 pm

r&b wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
elvis1977br wrote:YOGA IS AS YOGA DOES : On which the King complains about his intense dislike of yoga. Features the immortal line “I should probably take
this yoga serious/but all I get is a pain in my posterious”.

DOMINIC (THE IMPOTENT BULL) : Elvis berates a prize steer for being uninterested in procreation on this jaunty polka number.

SONG OF THE SHRIMP: A shrimp leaves his parents to visit the big city. He is eaten, but perhaps more shocking is the fact that this song is delivered with a straight face.

LIFE: A bold attempt to squeeze an explanation of Big Bang theory, Darwinism and the meaning of existence into three and a half minutes.

OLD SHEP: Hear Elvis croon his sadness at having to put down his faithful hound. “With hands that were trembling/I picked up my gun/And aimed it at Shep’s head”.On reflection, more sinister than weird.

THE BULLFIGHTER WAS A LADY : Olé! More bull-related oddness as a vicious bovine is tamed by a comely female matador.

THE FORT LAUDERDALE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Infinitely zippier than its bureaucratic title would suggest, this is still a distinctly strange subject for a song.

HE'S YOUR UNCLE, NOT YOUR DAD: Pained and heartfelt lament about having to hand over high levels of income to Uncle Sam in the form of taxes.

QUEEN WAHINE’S PAPAYA: This cut from the Paradise, Hawaiian Style soundtrack is notable for the fact that its constantly increasing speed sounds like Elvis is running down a very steep hill while singing.

(THERE’S) NO ROOM TO RHUMBA IN A SPORTS CAR: This cut from 1963’s Fun In Acapulco shows how brazen Elvis’ movie scriptwriters could be in using songs
to advance the plot, no matter how ridiculous their titles.

Obviously a MAJOR brain f-a-r-t including Old Shep on that list. A tremendous, passionate performance by Elvis in his prime... it has no place being grouped with the likes of those others... there's nothing wierd about the delivery, music or lyrics.

Although not big fan of Old Shep and Life, I would remove them from the list. Any number of soundtrack songs could take their place. There is nothing weirder than Elvis breaking out into song in an everyday life situation. You can include A Dog' Life (insane lyrics even for a 5 yr old) or Barefoot Ballad for the title alone!

Well at least "Barefoot Ballad" could have been a subtle tender love song about a guy with a foot f*t*sh. :D

Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:20 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:Some people just repeat theirselves over and over :wink:

Just a tease to those My Boy jokers, although if I have to pick a favorite between My Boy and Old Shep the 1973 cut always wins...

Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:14 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Old Shep is a soppy song that should never have on his second album amongst some R'n'R classics. The song would have been better off in one of his daft 60's movies.

Thankfully you weren't around to offer your incredibly insightful opinion... :facep:

Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:20 am

Alexander wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:Some people just repeat theirselves over and over :wink:

Just a tease to those My Boy jokers, although if I have to pick a favorite between My Boy and Old Shep the 1973 cut always wins...

It wasn't you I was talking (writing) about, Alexander. :)

I think I'd rather dig "Old Shep" instead.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:44 am

elvis-fan wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:Old Shep is a soppy song that should never have on his second album amongst some R'n'R classics. The song would have been better off in one of his daft 60's movies.

Thankfully you weren't around to offer your incredibly insightful opinion... :facep:

Thankfully your around to offer us the incredibly insightful person who can't except other peoples opinion.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:12 am

Beach Shack (Spinout), Big Boots (GI Blues) can pe put on this list and also Ito Eats (from Blue Hawaii)

Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:02 pm

It certainly seems a little strange when you put Old Shep in the context of discussions on these boards. It's not OK for Elvis in 1973 to sing to his son about the fact he is seriously thinking about breaking up their family - but it's fine for him to sing about shooting a dog in 1956.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:00 pm

midnightx wrote:My Boy appears to be missing from the list.

For all you "My Boy" lovers out there, there's a quiz show and talk show presenter, Ben Crabbé, who views this song as his all-time favorite Elvis ballad. He's a drummer himself and has played in different rock 'n' roll bands over the years, including Beatles cover band, The Kreuners etc. "My Boy" apparently has great credibility among the rock crowd:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Otz5p3pHcE

p.s. the woman who participates in the "Blokken" quiz show, is a violin player and a teacher, who has played and toured with the TCB Band, The Sweet Inspirations and The Imperials on different occasions. watch at 1.15 min. and at 2.50 min. and 3.23 min. .. Ben Crabbé is completely astonished to have someone in his studio who played with Elvis' band, he can't get over it. :D

Now, midnightx, don't even try to convince me that this wonderful moment doesn't move you to tears.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:29 am

K.C. wrote: ... I always though "Old Shep" was an odd choice for a new young rocker to put on his second album ...

I always look on the cover when I hear this great song on "ELVIS". For me it is a highlight on the 2nd album.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:53 pm

Winston wrote:
K.C. wrote: ... I always though "Old Shep" was an odd choice for a new young rocker to put on his second album ...

I always look on the cover when I hear this great song on "ELVIS". For me it is a highlight on the 2nd album.

Absolutely... it's a great performance by Elvis!

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:53 am

I don't want to go into it in too much detail here, but it's my belief that "Old Shep" was a key song in Elvis' early life and it was a song that he connected with on a vital level.

When Elvis recorded his first LP, I think he planned it as an RnB project, but the idea got lost in the shuffle when Steve Sholes watered down the tracklisting somewhat.

For the second LP, Elvis decided to fall back on his country roots to a much greater degree and (for the most part) put together a selection of C&W songs that he enjoyed singing: it's no surprise to me that he pulled "Old Shep" out of the bag for this album.

Morbid lyrics? Without doubt.

Stunning performance from the young artist? Without question.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:17 am

George Smith wrote:I don't want to go into it in too much detail here, but it's my belief that "Old Shep" was a key song in Elvis' early life and it was a song that he connected with on a vital level.

When Elvis recorded his first LP, I think he planned it as an RnB project, but the idea got lost in the shuffle when Steve Sholes watered down the tracklisting somewhat.

For the second LP, Elvis decided to fall back on his country roots to a much greater degree and (for the most part) put together a selection of C&W songs that he enjoyed singing: it's no surprise to me that he pulled "Old Shep" out of the bag for this album.

Morbid lyrics? Without doubt.

Stunning performance from the young artist? Without question.

And we should be really thankful that at least one great alternate take of his rendition survived.