Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis weirdest songs - From Uncut legends magazine

Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:39 pm

YOGA IS AS YOGA DOES : On which the King complains about his intense dislike of yoga. Features the immortal line “I should probably take
this yoga serious/but all I get is a pain in my posterious”.

DOMINIC (THE IMPOTENT BULL) : Elvis berates a prize steer for being uninterested in procreation on this jaunty polka number.

SONG OF THE SHRIMP: A shrimp leaves his parents to visit the big city. He is eaten, but perhaps more shocking is the fact that this song is delivered with a straight face.

LIFE: A bold attempt to squeeze an explanation of Big Bang theory, Darwinism and the meaning of existence into three and a half minutes.

OLD SHEP: Hear Elvis croon his sadness at having to put down his faithful hound. “With hands that were trembling/I picked up my gun/And aimed it at Shep’s head”.On reflection, more sinister than weird.

THE BULLFIGHTER WAS A LADY : Olé! More bull-related oddness as a vicious bovine is tamed by a comely female matador.

THE FORT LAUDERDALE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Infinitely zippier than its bureaucratic title would suggest, this is still a distinctly strange subject for a song.

HE'S YOUR UNCLE, NOT YOUR DAD: Pained and heartfelt lament about having to hand over high levels of income to Uncle Sam in the form of taxes.

QUEEN WAHINE’S PAPAYA: This cut from the Paradise, Hawaiian Style soundtrack is notable for the fact that its constantly increasing speed sounds like Elvis is running down a very steep hill while singing.

(THERE’S) NO ROOM TO RHUMBA IN A SPORTS CAR: This cut from 1963’s Fun In Acapulco shows how brazen Elvis’ movie scriptwriters could be in using songs
to advance the plot, no matter how ridiculous their titles.

Re: Elvis weirdest songs - From Uncut legends magazine

Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:58 pm

elvis1977br wrote:YOGA IS AS YOGA DOES : On which the King complains about his intense dislike of yoga. Features the immortal line “I should probably take

DOMINIC (THE IMPOTENT BULL) : Elvis berates a prize steer for being uninterested in procreation on this jaunty polka number.

SONG OF THE SHRIMP: A shrimp leaves his parents to visit the big city. He is eaten, but perhaps more shocking is the fact that this song is delivered with a straight face.

LIFE: A bold attempt to squeeze an explanation of Big Bang theory, Darwinism and the meaning of existence into three and a half minutes.

OLD SHEP: Hear Elvis croon his sadness at having to put down his faithful hound. “With hands that were trembling/I picked up my gun/And aimed it at Shep’s head”.On reflection, more sinister than weird.

THE BULLFIGHTER WAS A LADY : Olé! More bull-related oddness as a vicious bovine is tamed by a comely female matador.

THE FORT LAUDERDALE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Infinitely zippier than its bureaucratic title would suggest, this is still a distinctly strange subject for a song.

HE'S YOUR UNCLE, NOT YOUR DAD: Pained and heartfelt lament about having to hand over high levels of income to Uncle Sam in the form of taxes.

QUEEN WAHINE’S PAPAYA: This cut from the Paradise, Hawaiian Style soundtrack is notable for the fact that its constantly increasing speed sounds like Elvis is running down a very steep hill while singing.

(THERE’S) NO ROOM TO RHUMBA IN A SPORTS CAR: This cut from 1963’s Fun In Acapulco shows how brazen Elvis’ movie scriptwriters could be in using songs

Obviously a MAJOR brain f-a-r-t including Old Shep on that list. A tremendous, passionate performance by Elvis in his prime... it has no place being grouped with the likes of those others... there's nothing wierd about the delivery, music or lyrics.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:05 pm

I never was a fan of "Old Shep." But I really don't care for any other songs on that list, either.

But that's just the way I put down a dog.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:23 pm

They must have interviewed a few posters on here because those are always the same songs known as the weaker links in the Elvis catalog. Surprised they didn't mention the masterpiece classic Old McDonald. :roll:

Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:50 pm

At least they've done it with a bit of tongue-in-cheek humour thrown in.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:34 pm

"Old Shep" may not be a song to everyone liking, but it is certainly NOT a "weird" song. When i was a youngster growing up on the farm and a dog got old and sick or badly injured and needed to be put down no one called the vet. You did what needed to be down yourself. I've been in the singers shoes. Difference is, I ddin't have the option of putting down the gun. I did what needed doing. "Old Shep" resonates deeply with me.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:37 pm

My Boy appears to be missing from the list.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:40 pm

midnightx wrote:My Boy appears to be missing from the list.

A My Boy joke. No. 2647, if memory recalls.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:50 pm

I always though "Old Shep" was an odd choice for a new young rocker to put on his second album. The song seemed out of place.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:09 am

K.C. wrote:I always though "Old Shep" was an odd choice for a new young rocker to put on his second album. The song seemed out of place.

Not odd if one is familiar with that era of Elvis' life and career.

It is also an incredible, almost haunting vocal. And Elvis pulls it off with ease. He was so damn good back then.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:14 am

I listened to Old Shep endlessly when I was 16 and our dog had to be put down. Love that song.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:22 am

poormadpeter wrote:

I don't know whats worse.

Another 'My Boy' joke or a member that's counting them.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:24 am

AS far as dog songs go, I would put "A dogs life" in their before "old shep".

"Old shep" has always felt to me to be a sincere country folk song.

And Elvis playing the piano. This one is a near classic.

Does not need to be on the list.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:25 am

poormadpeter wrote:

OCD.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:32 am

ekenee wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

OCD.

For crying out loud, I was simply being sarcastic. Do people really think I have been counting?! :roll:

Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:50 am

poormadpeter wrote:
ekenee wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

OCD.

For crying out loud, I was simply being sarcastic. Do people really think I have been counting?! :roll:

That would be beyond pathetic if you had :roll: , Oh and that`s the 22,301st time you have been sarcastic :|

Alan.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:55 am

ekenee wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

OCD.

It`s not OCD it`s Oh see D, I said SEE, Geddit ? :evil: :P

Alan.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:55 am

Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

I don't know whats worse.

Another 'My Boy' joke or a member that's counting them.

The latter. :D

Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:58 am

I really like the "Fun In Acapulco" soundtrack, and I don't consider "No Room To Rhumba In A Sports Car" a bad song within the context of that album.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:44 am

I don't mind the Fun In Acapulco soundtrack.It's a fun,light soundtrack album but it's not what I want to hear from the King Of Rock n Roll in 1963 but sadly that's all we got really during that period.

As for Old Shep Elvis gives an emotional heart felt treatment to the song that still strikes a chord with me every time I hear it.It could have been corny but Elvis sings it likes he means every word of it.

norrie

Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:47 am

"Weird" doesn't necessarily have to equate with "bad." "Heartbreak Hotel" is one of Elvis' weirdest songs (heck, it's probably one of the weirdest songs ever to hit #1). Not to mention how "weird" the Sun singles sounded to people like Dylan and Lennon who thought that this guy was from another world (in the best way possible).

Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:53 am

Eggrert wrote:"Weird" doesn't necessarily have to equate with "bad." "Heartbreak Hotel" is one of Elvis' weirdest songs (heck, it's probably one of the weirdest songs ever to hit #1). Not to mention how "weird" the Sun singles sounded to people like Dylan and Lennon who thought that this guy was from another world (in the best way possible).

The weirdness in the Uncut list relates to the song titles and/or the lyrics (which is why Old Shep shouldn't be there) rather than the sound or style.I don't think Heartbreak Hotel is weird in any way especially when you know where the inspiration for the song came from.

norrie

Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:59 am

poormadpeter wrote:
ekenee wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

OCD.

I know you were being sarcastic. MY comment was about the MY boy poster, not you.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:35 am

ekenee wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
ekenee wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

OCD.

I know you were being sarcastic. MY comment was about the MY boy poster, not you.

aha!

Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:11 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
elvis1977br wrote:YOGA IS AS YOGA DOES : On which the King complains about his intense dislike of yoga. Features the immortal line “I should probably take

Obviously a MAJOR brain f-a-r-t including Old Shep on that list. A tremendous, passionate performance by Elvis in his prime... it has no place being grouped with the likes of those others... there's nothing wierd about the delivery, music or lyrics.

Glad you like it...a song about a dead dog, mind blowing ain't it!!!