Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Paul McCartney talks about Elvis backstage in Memphis

Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:32 pm

javilu wrote:
r&b wrote:
ML4EP wrote:
r&b wrote:
nevermind wrote:He's not worth one dollar, even for 6 hours.


Right, he doesn't sing My Way and ONJ covers. I guess that sucks for some.


Maybe because he had grown up? It was mentioned several times in the PFAP documentary he was now a mature artist and he sang and presented his show as a grown man...with musical interests than ran across the spectrum. He NEVER wanted to be seen as just a rock and roll artist, that was far too limiting to him personally. Didn't he tell Steve Sholes..."hey I can do more than just belt!" Elvis admired Frank Sinatra and made an early attempt at My Way in 1971, but didn't master it until 1972. As for ONJ covers, she started out as a country artist and we all know how much Elvis loved country music and those two songs were massive hits in 1973/74. Whether you liked any of it is a matter of personal taste... I distinctly remember an interview John Lennon gave where he was asked why he didn't perform Beatles' songs and he replied he was glad that people had liked that music but he was beyond it as a performer. NFL football is by far the most popular sport in America...how boring would it be to watch if every team ran the same handful of plays over and over again during every game?


Really? Maybe he grew up too much and passed a lot of young people by singing Sinatra & Como & Richard Harris tunes. ONJ had some 70's country hits sure but so did Marie Osmond. What does that prove? Elvis should have covered her also? I never heard a real country music fan being enthralled by the likes of either. Fact is none of these songs were seen as cool or hip by most younger (than 30) music fans. He loved country? How about some tough outlaw country or some Allman Brothers country? Marshall Tucker , Eagles or New Riders? Or even what Rick Nelson was doing at the time, nice country rock. There were plenty of country choices. Elvis took the safe and easy middle of the road route IMO.


What about David Allan Coe?
Elvis would have "nailed" this one :D

phpBB [video]

Spanish_Eyes wrote:
ML4EP wrote:
r&b wrote:
nevermind wrote:He's not worth one dollar, even for 6 hours.


Right, he doesn't sing My Way and ONJ covers. I guess that sucks for some.


Maybe because he had grown up? It was mentioned several times in the PFAP documentary he was now a mature artist and he sang and presented his show as a grown man...with musical interests than ran across the spectrum. He NEVER wanted to be seen as just a rock and roll artist, that was far too limiting to him personally. Didn't he tell Steve Sholes..."hey I can do more than just belt!" Elvis admired Frank Sinatra and made an early attempt at My Way in 1971, but didn't master it until 1972. As for ONJ covers, she started out as a country artist and we all know how much Elvis loved country music and those two songs were massive hits in 1973/74. Whether you liked any of it is a matter of personal taste... I distinctly remember an interview John Lennon gave where he was asked why he didn't perform Beatles' songs and he replied he was glad that people had liked that music but he was beyond it as a performer. NFL football is by far the most popular sport in America...how boring would it be to watch if every team ran the same handful of plays over and over again during every game?



Ironically, those "mature" ballads you're refering to sound much more outdated and corny than the early rock and roll...Bruce still performs RnR covers (Quarter to Three, Twist and Shout, Good Rockin' and such) and he drives huge stadia crazy


The Boss is great at rock and some blues, but that's the end of his ability and or interests. A lot of folks under thirty follow the flavor of the week when it comes to music, fashion, etc...they have the attention span of a gnat. Most of the performers you all are referring to are one trick ponies, they are good at the one thing they do, but there has never been an artist with as diverse an interest in music genres and the ability to excel at them as Elvis Presley. Whether you like all of his interests is immaterial, he was interested in it and excelled at it. The point I was really trying to make is that when another artist such as John Lennon does not want to re-visit his early work (for whatever reason) nobody really cares. But when critics and other artists start putting Elvis and My Way, American Trilogy, What Now My Love in the same sentence...you usually hear something about how he sold out to the establishment, or they wish he'd just wear jeans and sing That's All Right. Different rules for different folks...

Re: Paul McCartney talks about Elvis backstage in Memphis

Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:41 pm

r&b wrote:
ML4EP wrote:
r&b wrote:
nevermind wrote:He's not worth one dollar, even for 6 hours.


Right, he doesn't sing My Way and ONJ covers. I guess that sucks for some.


Maybe because he had grown up? It was mentioned several times in the PFAP documentary he was now a mature artist and he sang and presented his show as a grown man...with musical interests than ran across the spectrum. He NEVER wanted to be seen as just a rock and roll artist, that was far too limiting to him personally. Didn't he tell Steve Sholes..."hey I can do more than just belt!" Elvis admired Frank Sinatra and made an early attempt at My Way in 1971, but didn't master it until 1972. As for ONJ covers, she started out as a country artist and we all know how much Elvis loved country music and those two songs were massive hits in 1973/74. Whether you liked any of it is a matter of personal taste... I distinctly remember an interview John Lennon gave where he was asked why he didn't perform Beatles' songs and he replied he was glad that people had liked that music but he was beyond it as a performer. NFL football is by far the most popular sport in America...how boring would it be to watch if every team ran the same handful of plays over and over again during every game?


Really? Maybe he grew up too much and passed a lot of young people by singing Sinatra & Como & Richard Harris tunes. ONJ had some 70's country hits sure but so did Marie Osmond. What does that prove? Elvis should have covered her also? I never heard a real country music fan being enthralled by the likes of either. Fact is none of these songs were seen as cool or hip by most younger (than 30) music fans. He loved country? How about some tough outlaw country or some Allman Brothers country? Marshall Tucker , Eagles or New Riders? Or even what Rick Nelson was doing at the time, nice country rock. There were plenty of country choices. Elvis took the safe and easy middle of the road route IMO.

One of Elvis' greatest attributes is he didn't care whether something was considered cool or not. If he liked it, that was enough. This is evident from the beginning of his career to the end. It's what made Elvis Elvis.

I like Paul, but c'mon, he has a ton of questionable material under his name too. Although I don't know why this turned into an Elvis Vs McCartney thread anyway. Seemingly just because one person expressed their dislike of the latter.

Re: Paul McCartney talks about Elvis backstage in Memphis

Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:11 pm

r&b wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
r&b wrote:
nevermind wrote:He's not worth one dollar, even for 6 hours.


Right, he doesn't sing My Way and ONJ covers. I guess that sucks for some.


What nevermind said isn't right but do you have to dish Elvis in return?


Yes - that always bothered me so I have to dish. Sorry, but I never got why Elvis sang such awful stuff but what's dish to me is gold to others, so it doesn't matter in the long run.


That's how it started. A board member... respected by some... openly admits he will diss (disrespect) Elvis if something someone else contributes bothers him. That truly is plum pitiful and with luck, the Mods are gonna be scrutinising this individual before he turns the forum into a war zone.

Re: Paul McCartney talks about Elvis backstage in Memphis

Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:23 am

jungleroombear wrote:
r&b wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
r&b wrote:
nevermind wrote:He's not worth one dollar, even for 6 hours.


Right, he doesn't sing My Way and ONJ covers. I guess that sucks for some.


What nevermind said isn't right but do you have to dish Elvis in return?


Yes - that always bothered me so I have to dish. Sorry, but I never got why Elvis sang such awful stuff but what's dish to me is gold to others, so it doesn't matter in the long run.


That's how it started. A board member... respected by some... openly admits he will diss (disrespect) Elvis if something someone else contributes bothers him. That truly is plum pitiful and with luck, the Mods are gonna be scrutinising this individual before he turns the forum into a war zone.


The only people turning this into a war zone are the ones that attack when a person gives his honest opinion. Yes honest is the key word. You don't agree with it, that's fine, but to start the 'dickhead' comments by some members here shows a lack of maturity and intelligence to even have a debate on any subject. Maybe those are the ones the mods should address. I have never called anyone a name! BTW, Paul played a 38 song set last night. 38 songs at 71 yrs old! Wanna still tell me Elvis was giving as good a show at 42? Maybe him giving away 38 scarves is that equivalent? Hey its not Elvis vs Paul. Its the just facts of the situation as it stands in history.

Re: Paul McCartney talks about Elvis backstage in Memphis

Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:31 am

r&b wrote:
jungleroombear wrote:
r&b wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
r&b wrote:
nevermind wrote:He's not worth one dollar, even for 6 hours.


Right, he doesn't sing My Way and ONJ covers. I guess that sucks for some.


What nevermind said isn't right but do you have to dish Elvis in return?


Yes - that always bothered me so I have to dish. Sorry, but I never got why Elvis sang such awful stuff but what's dish to me is gold to others, so it doesn't matter in the long run.


That's how it started. A board member... respected by some... openly admits he will diss (disrespect) Elvis if something someone else contributes bothers him. That truly is plum pitiful and with luck, the Mods are gonna be scrutinising this individual before he turns the forum into a war zone.


The only people turning this into a war zone are the ones that attack when a person gives his honest opinion. Yes honest is the key word. You don't agree with it, that's fine, but to start the 'dickhead' comments by some members here shows a lack of maturity and intelligence to even have a debate on any subject. Maybe those are the ones the mods should address. I have never called anyone a name! BTW, Paul played a 38 song set last night. 38 songs at 71 yrs old! Wanna still tell me Elvis was giving as good a show at 42? Maybe him giving away 38 scarves is that equivalent? Hey its not Elvis vs Paul. Its the just facts of the situation as it stands in history.


You keep comparing Elvis at 42 vs. Paul as a 71 year old. One man was extremely ill, one man is fit and living in an era where people are living much longer and where many other performers Paul's age are still performing, some at a very high level. Good for Paul for doing a 38 song set. Let's not forget that in his prime, with the Beatles, they were doing 20 minute concerts, so times have changed.

Re: Paul McCartney talks about Elvis backstage in Memphis

Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:19 am

Joe Car wrote:
r&b wrote:The only people turning this into a war zone are the ones that attack when a person gives his honest opinion. Yes honest is the key word. You don't agree with it, that's fine, but to start the 'dickhead' comments by some members here shows a lack of maturity and intelligence to even have a debate on any subject. Maybe those are the ones the mods should address. I have never called anyone a name! BTW, Paul played a 38 song set last night. 38 songs at 71 yrs old! Wanna still tell me Elvis was giving as good a show at 42? Maybe him giving away 38 scarves is that equivalent? Hey its not Elvis vs Paul. Its the just facts of the situation as it stands in history.


You keep comparing Elvis at 42 vs. Paul as a 71 year old. One man was extremely ill, one man is fit and living in an era where people are living much longer and where many other performers Paul's age are still performing, some at a very high level. Good for Paul for doing a 38 song set. Let's not forget that in his prime, with the Beatles, they were doing 20 minute concerts, so times have changed.


You are making excuses for Elvis again, and fudging facts. We don't need to read about poor Elvis being "extremely ill." No need to do that, we all understand and (hopefully) acknowledge his shortcomings. For what it's worth, when McCartney hit his forties he was doing tours, concerts, singles, albums and motion pictures. Some were hugely successful, some less so. And when he was in his twenties with the Beatles, their concerts during Beatlemania (1964-1966) were no longer or shorter than those of the time, about 30 minutes. When Elvis toured during his crazy years (1956-1957), when he was in his twenties, his concerts ran ... about 30 minutes. When McCartney and others played gigs in the '70s, the shows ran at least two hours. When Elvis played gigs in the '70s they ran between 50 minutes and 1 hour.

We speak of Paul today at 71 because the topic is about McCartney recently expressing his ongoing love for Elvis, in 2013. It's a fact and it's pretty cool.

Re: Paul McCartney talks about Elvis backstage in Memphis

Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:38 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
r&b wrote:The only people turning this into a war zone are the ones that attack when a person gives his honest opinion. Yes honest is the key word. You don't agree with it, that's fine, but to start the 'dickhead' comments by some members here shows a lack of maturity and intelligence to even have a debate on any subject. Maybe those are the ones the mods should address. I have never called anyone a name! BTW, Paul played a 38 song set last night. 38 songs at 71 yrs old! Wanna still tell me Elvis was giving as good a show at 42? Maybe him giving away 38 scarves is that equivalent? Hey its not Elvis vs Paul. Its the just facts of the situation as it stands in history.


You keep comparing Elvis at 42 vs. Paul as a 71 year old. One man was extremely ill, one man is fit and living in an era where people are living much longer and where many other performers Paul's age are still performing, some at a very high level. Good for Paul for doing a 38 song set. Let's not forget that in his prime, with the Beatles, they were doing 20 minute concerts, so times have changed.


You are making excuses for Elvis again, and fudging facts. We don't need to read about poor Elvis being "extremely ill." No need to do that, we all understand and (hopefully) acknowledge his shortcomings. For what it's worth, when McCartney hit his forties he was doing tours, concerts, singles, albums and motion pictures. Some were hugely successful, some less so. And when he was in his twenties with the Beatles, their concerts during Beatlemania (1964-1966) were no longer or shorter than those of the time, about 30 minutes. When Elvis toured during his crazy years (1956-1957), when he was in his twenties, his concerts ran ... about 30 minutes. When McCartney and others played gigs in the '70s, the shows ran at least two hours. When Elvis played gigs in the '70s they ran between 50 minutes and 1 hour.

We speak of Paul today at 71 because the topic is about McCartney recently expressing his ongoing love for Elvis, in 2013. It's a fact and it's pretty cool.


And I've acknowledged visiting Graceland was pretty cool. I'm not fudging anything, Elvis at 42 was an ill man and shouldn't have been on stage, period, so comparing him to any concert performer who is healthy, isn't fair. Give McCartney all the props, but not at Elvis' expense.

Re: Paul McCartney talks about Elvis backstage in Memphis

Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:45 am

Joe Car wrote:And I've acknowledged visiting Graceland was pretty cool. I'm not fudging anything, Elvis at 42 was an ill man and shouldn't have been on stage, period, so comparing him to any concert performer who is healthy, isn't fair. Give McCartney all the props, but not at Elvis' expense.


Were tickets to Elvis' shows free? No.

Did the Beatles play "20 minute concerts"? No.

That's two pieces of fudge right there.

Re: Paul McCartney talks about Elvis backstage in Memphis

Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:51 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Joe Car wrote:And I've acknowledged visiting Graceland was pretty cool. I'm not fudging anything, Elvis at 42 was an ill man and shouldn't have been on stage, period, so comparing him to any concert performer who is healthy, isn't fair. Give McCartney all the props, but not at Elvis' expense.


Were tickets to Elvis' shows free? No.

Did the Beatles play "20 minute concerts"? No.

That's two pieces of fudge right there.


What are you talking about?

Re: Paul McCartney talks about Elvis backstage in Memphis

Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:56 am

I respect the Beatles for what they contributed to the Music scene and there imprint will be there forever same as Elvis, just always thought they were snobby towards Elvis, not really sure if i read them wrong or what, but i just always got that impression.
'

Re: Paul McCartney talks about Elvis backstage in Memphis

Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:09 am

Joe Car wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Joe Car wrote:And I've acknowledged visiting Graceland was pretty cool. I'm not fudging anything, Elvis at 42 was an ill man and shouldn't have been on stage, period, so comparing him to any concert performer who is healthy, isn't fair. Give McCartney all the props, but not at Elvis' expense.


Were tickets to Elvis' shows free? No.

Did the Beatles play "20 minute concerts"? No.

That's two pieces of fudge right there.


What are you talking about?


Those are two examples of your excuse-making comments being disingenuous. If Elvis was ill, he should not have been charging people good money to see a performance he could not deliver. And, as noted, the Beatles sets at the peak of Beatlemania were 30 minutes, about the same as the length of an Elvis show in 1956-57.

Re: Paul McCartney talks about Elvis backstage in Memphis

Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:11 am

memphisound wrote:I respect the Beatles for what they contributed to the Music scene and there imprint will be there forever same as Elvis, just always thought they were snobby towards Elvis, not really sure if i read them wrong or what, but i just always got that impression.
'


You'll have to show us where them saying they "love Elvis" was being "snobby." If they found the movie period unimpressive, and said so, they were being honest. Gotta love those Liverpool Lads. ;-)

Re: Paul McCartney talks about Elvis backstage in Memphis

Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:17 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
memphisound wrote:I respect the Beatles for what they contributed to the Music scene and there imprint will be there forever same as Elvis, just always thought they were snobby towards Elvis, not really sure if i read them wrong or what, but i just always got that impression.
'


You'll have to show us where them saying they "love Elvis" was being "snobby." If they found the movie period unimpressive, and said so, they were being honest. Gotta love those Liverpool Lads. ;-)


No thats fine most people do say the movie years were a big let down, even the hardcore fans tend to agree with this. This interview i liked, i'm just talking about the past i can't recall which just felt like they somewhat mocked Elvis hell i guess im too sensitive when it comes to Elvis i agree we fans are at times, :P

Re: Paul McCartney talks about Elvis backstage in Memphis

Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:16 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Joe Car wrote:And I've acknowledged visiting Graceland was pretty cool. I'm not fudging anything, Elvis at 42 was an ill man and shouldn't have been on stage, period, so comparing him to any concert performer who is healthy, isn't fair. Give McCartney all the props, but not at Elvis' expense.


Were tickets to Elvis' shows free? No.

Did the Beatles play "20 minute concerts"? No.

That's two pieces of fudge right there.


What are you talking about?


Those are two examples of your excuse-making comments being disingenuous. If Elvis was ill, he should not have been charging people good money to see a performance he could not deliver. And, as noted, the Beatles sets at the peak of Beatlemania were 30 minutes, about the same as the length of an Elvis show in 1956-57.


I had a Beatles fan make a statement to me, complaining that some of their shows were only 20 minutes long. I don't make up excuses for Elvis, his being sick was a fact. I for one said he shouldn't have been on stage in his condition.

Re: Paul McCartney talks about Elvis backstage in Memphis

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:22 pm

Joe Car wrote:I had a Beatles fan make a statement to me, complaining that some of their shows were only 20 minutes long. I don't make up excuses for Elvis, his being sick was a fact. I for one said he shouldn't have been on stage in his condition.


But he did charge money for those shows, so they are fair game in a discussion. And your Beatles fan is mistaken.

Re: Paul McCartney talks about Elvis backstage in Memphis

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:39 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Joe Car wrote:I had a Beatles fan make a statement to me, complaining that some of their shows were only 20 minutes long. I don't make up excuses for Elvis, his being sick was a fact. I for one said he shouldn't have been on stage in his condition.


But he did charge money for those shows, so they are fair game in a discussion. And your Beatles fan is mistaken.


I'm not going to go back and forth on this with you. If you say they played 30 minute shows, that's fine. I'll take your word for it, because i don't follow their music. As far as the other stuff, my position remains the same.

Re: Paul McCartney talks about Elvis backstage in Memphis

Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:10 am

Joe Car wrote:I'm not going to go back and forth on this with you. If you say they played 30 minute shows, that's fine. I'll take your word for it, because i don't follow their music.


Cool, now "20 minutes" will no longer be used as a spurious comparison. ;-)

Re: Paul McCartney talks about Elvis backstage in Memphis

Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:14 pm

i think the longest concert of Elvis in the 1954-1961 era was his last: March 25 1961, Hawaii, 45 minutes.

Re: Paul McCartney talks about Elvis backstage in Memphis

Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:10 pm

Elvis performed ill just like people go in to work when they are ill. Most people do it out of a sense of loyalty to either the boss or to their workmates. In Elvis' case it was also to his fans, some of whom travelled thousands of miles to see him and i doubt he wanted to disappoint them. A lot of people were relying on him and it couldn't always have been easy to cancel or do short shows but he probably did his best for them.

Re: Paul McCartney talks about Elvis backstage in Memphis

Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:35 pm

jungleroombear wrote:Elvis performed ill just like people go in to work when they are ill. Most people do it out of a sense of loyalty to either the boss or to their workmates. In Elvis' case it was also to his fans, some of whom travelled thousands of miles to see him and i doubt he wanted to disappoint them. A lot of people were relying on him and it couldn't always have been easy to cancel or do short shows but he probably did his best for them.


Elvis primarily did the shows because he needed the money.

Re: Paul McCartney talks about Elvis backstage in Memphis

Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:40 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
jungleroombear wrote:Elvis performed ill just like people go in to work when they are ill. Most people do it out of a sense of loyalty to either the boss or to their workmates. In Elvis' case it was also to his fans, some of whom travelled thousands of miles to see him and i doubt he wanted to disappoint them. A lot of people were relying on him and it couldn't always have been easy to cancel or do short shows but he probably did his best for them.


Elvis primarily did the shows because he needed the money.


That is the absolute truth. No doubt Elvis loved his fans, but the tours were done because he (and gambling Col) needed the money. This is well documented in many books. It is why the tour schedule was so grueling and never ending in the last few years. Our bank accounts are getting low so lets book another tour, ill or not!

Re: Paul McCartney talks about Elvis backstage in Memphis

Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:19 pm

r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
jungleroombear wrote:Elvis performed ill just like people go in to work when they are ill. Most people do it out of a sense of loyalty to either the boss or to their workmates. In Elvis' case it was also to his fans, some of whom travelled thousands of miles to see him and i doubt he wanted to disappoint them. A lot of people were relying on him and it couldn't always have been easy to cancel or do short shows but he probably did his best for them.


Elvis primarily did the shows because he needed the money.


That is the absolute truth. No doubt Elvis loved his fans, but the tours were done because he (and gambling Col) needed the money. This is well documented in many books. It is why the tour schedule was so grueling and never ending in the last few years. Our bank accounts are getting low so lets book another tour, ill or not!


True. What's sad was that financially, he was in that condition. He should have been in a position to take a couple of years off, unfortunately our boy spent it faster then he could make it!

Re: Paul McCartney talks about Elvis backstage in Memphis

Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:40 pm

Joe Car wrote:
r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
jungleroombear wrote:Elvis performed ill just like people go in to work when they are ill. Most people do it out of a sense of loyalty to either the boss or to their workmates. In Elvis' case it was also to his fans, some of whom travelled thousands of miles to see him and i doubt he wanted to disappoint them. A lot of people were relying on him and it couldn't always have been easy to cancel or do short shows but he probably did his best for them.


Elvis primarily did the shows because he needed the money.


That is the absolute truth. No doubt Elvis loved his fans, but the tours were done because he (and gambling Col) needed the money. This is well documented in many books. It is why the tour schedule was so grueling and never ending in the last few years. Our bank accounts are getting low so lets book another tour, ill or not!


True. What's sad was that financially, he was in that condition. He should have been in a position to take a couple of years off, unfortunately our boy spent it faster then he could make it!


Well once again we can thank the Col for this as well as Elvis' and Vernon's own shortcomings when it came to business. The Col was just awful for Elvis especially his 1973 RCA record deal. Its hard to believe Elvis could not see this was a lousy deal in the long run to sell his pre-1973 catalog for 5 million. But just like the tours made him a quick buck, so did this deal. Compared to Elvis, Jagger is like a PHD compared when it comes to business deals.

Re: Paul McCartney talks about Elvis backstage in Memphis

Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:47 pm

r&b wrote:Well once again we can thank the Col for this as well as Elvis' and Vernon's own shortcomings when it came to business. The Col was just awful for Elvis especially his 1973 RCA record deal. Its hard to believe Elvis could not see this was a lousy deal in the long run to sell his pre-1973 catalog for 5 million. But just like the tours made him a quick buck, so did this deal. Compared to Elvis, Jagger is like a PHD compared when it comes to business deals.


One of management's roles is to maximize the amount of money the artist earns, and find ways to grow those earnings through savvy investments. Parker failed miserably at this. By the '70s, Elvis should have been set for life financially, regardless of what opportunities he was pursuing at the time. He'd sold perhaps half a billion records worldwide by 1977, and yet he was running out every two weeks on another U.S. tour to earn spending money. What a travesty.

Re: Paul McCartney talks about Elvis backstage in Memphis

Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:06 pm

Very sad, indeed, Doc. But it was also Vernon's fault and Elvis' of course who didn't hire a professional team of business man, tax advisers, lawyers and accountants to take care of his money and invest them. In 1976 Joe and Dr.Nick (two people completely unfamiliar with business matters) took him in a disastrous raquetball venture, the only one Elvis was involved outside music. Unfortunately, the Colonel encouraged Elvis to pay all the taxes to IRS, not deducting anything, although he could save a lot of money. So, Elvis never had in his whole life a professional person to take care of his finance. I wonder anyway how much money he had in the bank in august 1977, because in the last year and a half of his life Elvis did 14 tours, one Las Vegas gig, one Tahoe engagement and one TV special. Only these (excepting the record sales, copyright values, movies rentals and souvenirs) made him richer with more than 6 million dollars.