Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Paul McCartney talks about Elvis backstage in Memphis

Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:31 pm

nevermind wrote:He's not worth one dollar, even for 6 hours.

Lawdy, Miss Clawdy. You serious?

If you prefer Elvis to Paul, fine. But you don't have to hate one because of the other. Do you?

Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:57 pm

rjm wrote:He was on Colbert tonight. They extended the show for an hour. It was pretty cool. He did "For the Benefit of Mr. Kite." Not a favorite of mine, but it is not something he'd apparently performed before. And various songs.

And they talked. Paul said "skedule" the American way, after being annoyed by Colbert. He does look older. I know that sounds stupid, but it always is difficult. "Cute" doesn't age as well. But his voice sounds fine.

And by God, I will NEVER get used to that left-handed playing! I wanted to reverse the picture. LOL!

I enjoyed it. And it was free! :D

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

It was great!
Paul was promoting the release of tjhe "Rockshow" movie on DVD and Bluray.
All songs he performed are part of his "Out There" tour setlist.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:20 pm

Thanks for the clip, Great to see such a massive star as McCartney recounting his early days of being a fan, It reminds me of the interview where John says he went to see Love Me Tender at the cinema and all the girls were screaming,and Lennon said, pointing to Elvis on the movie screen: "That's a good job".

Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:05 pm

As much as i love The Beatles' music, i can't stand McCartney as a person, to me, he comes across as a total jerk...The reason being is when he interviewed (particularly about the Beatles days) he doesn't state things has he remembers them or how it was, rather he'll says things that he thinks you wanna hear. He knows that the Beatles are a very important band in history, so he plays on that. Unlike, John, George and Ringo, they were more down to earth and said things how they remember them, especially John, who was more outspoken.

Musically, you can't fault Paul, he's great! Having said that, has solo artists, i've always preferred John. John was more raw and he was certainly a better lyric writer than Paul. Just listen to "Across The Universe"...pure Lennon genius!!! Paul wrote good lyrics but he was more pop.

They were certainly admirers of Elvis, particularly John, he has never hidden his admiration for Elvis and he was a fan till the end. From the books i've read about lennon, he regularly played Elvis at home on his jukebox. John was more into the 50's Elvis and who can blame him...The 50's was Elvis' most creative period and john knew this...John once said, "we did exactly the same thing but we just took it a little farther then Elvis".

Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:09 pm

InheritTheWind wrote:Short video of Paul McCartney talking about Elvis Presley backstage with his band at his recent Memphis concert:

phpBB [video]

What a class act! You can't say enough good things about Sir Paul... love that guy!! :cheers:

Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:25 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:As much as i love The Beatles' music, i can't stand McCartney as a person, to me, he comes across as a total jerk...The reason being is when he interviewed (particularly about the Beatles days) he doesn't state things has he remembers them or how it was, rather he'll says things that he thinks you wanna hear. He knows that the Beatles are a very important band in history, so he plays on that. Unlike, John, George and Ringo, they were more down to earth and said things how they remember them, especially John, who was more outspoken.

Musically, you can't fault Paul, he's great! Having said that, has solo artists, i've always preferred John. John was more raw and he was certainly a better lyric writer than Paul. Just listen to "Across The Universe"...pure Lennon genius!!! Paul wrote good lyrics but he was more pop.

They were certainly admirers of Elvis, particularly John, he has never hidden his admiration for Elvis and he was a fan till the end. From the books i've read about lennon, he regularly played Elvis at home on his jukebox. John was more into the 50's Elvis and who can blame him...The 50's was Elvis' most creative period and john knew this...John once said, "we did exactly the same thing but we just took it a little farther then Elvis".

I agree with everything you said. Paul always seemed a bit of a 'put on' depending on the situation, whereas with the other 3, what you see is totally real, especially John and it got him into trouble at times. I admire Paul, an amazing musician and tunesmith, but his best work by far was with The Beatles. In fact, I think the best song he wrote after The Beatles was for The Everly Brothers, Wings of a Nightingale. Great song.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:25 pm

Cool clip, thanks for posting.
I saw him in Fenway park a couple of years ago, great show. That's two of the four I got to see live. He calls to check in with Scotty every now and then, usually when he's passing through.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:06 pm

Great clip!! Paul loves Elvis because he knows how darn good he was! Takes great to know great... In complete contrast to Frank Zapa's views, which sort of proves the point!

Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:32 pm

The clip actually starts with Paul mumbling " I got stung"

Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:27 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:Cool clip, thanks for posting.
I saw him in Fenway park a couple of years ago, great show. That's two of the four I got to see live. He calls to check in with Scotty every now and then, usually when he's passing through.

You're welcome! :D

phpBB [video]

Last edited by InheritTheWind on Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:06 pm

PAUL IS ALL.

PAUL is ALL.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:22 pm

r&b wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:As much as i love The Beatles' music, i can't stand McCartney as a person, to me, he comes across as a total jerk...The reason being is when he interviewed (particularly about the Beatles days) he doesn't state things has he remembers them or how it was, rather he'll says things that he thinks you wanna hear. He knows that the Beatles are a very important band in history, so he plays on that. Unlike, John, George and Ringo, they were more down to earth and said things how they remember them, especially John, who was more outspoken.

I agree with everything you said. Paul always seemed a bit of a 'put on' depending on the situation, whereas with the other 3, what you see is totally real, especially John and it got him into trouble at times. I admire Paul, an amazing musician and tunesmith, but his best work by far was with The Beatles. In fact, I think the best song he wrote after The Beatles was for The Everly Brothers, Wings of a Nightingale. Great song.

The best thing McCartney ever done after The Beatles imo is the "Band On The Run" album...true classic!! As i say, always preferred Lennon as a solo artist.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:23 pm

I thought this was a great tribute to Elvis as well.

phpBB [video]

Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:30 pm

The fool wrote:I thought this was a great tribute to Elvis as well.

phpBB [video]

Nice. Thanks for posting. One can't help to wonder whether Paul remembered this track when he wrote Fixing A Hole for Sgt Pepper album ("Fixing a hole where the rain gets in...").

Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:09 am

Marko wrote:
The fool wrote:I thought this was a great tribute to Elvis as well.

phpBB [video]

Nice. Thanks for posting. One can't help to wonder whether Paul remembered this track when he wrote Fixing A Hole for Sgt Pepper album ("Fixing a hole where the rain gets in...").

No doubt the key line in the Presley soundtrack item was an inspiration. Wonder if Elvis ever noticed?

Anyone know where this rendition comes from? May be from an August 1974 backyard jam, a 1990s soundcheck, or an outtake from October 1999's Run Devil Run.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:40 am

He must have liked the song, otherwise i doubt he would have remembered the lyrics from one cinema visit. Maybe he bought the 2006 DVD! Or maybe he has a few Elvis albums and EP's in his collection. I find the story quite a revelation esp his song choice. I have always loved it despite it being portrayed as lightweight material. If Macca thinks it's good, it must be good!!

Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:12 am

jungleroombear wrote:He must have liked the song, otherwise i doubt he would have remembered the lyrics from one cinema visit. Maybe he bought the 2006 DVD! Or maybe he has a few Elvis albums and EP's in his collection. I find the story quite a revelation esp his song choice. I have always loved it despite it being portrayed as lightweight material. If Macca thinks it's good, it must be good!!

No doubt Macca has Elvis records in his collection. In Put It There DVD he talks about Elvis '56 documentry. It's obvious he's a big fan. It's also telling that when The Threetles jammed this is what they did...

phpBB [video]

Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:14 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Anyone know where this rendition comes from? May be from an August 1974 backyard jam, a 1990s soundcheck, or an outtake from October 1999's Run Devil Run.

I have no idea. Never heard of it before. Could it be from his radio show from the 90's?

Here's another nice tribute from Macca. Too bad he doesn't do this type of material anymore on his shows.

phpBB [video]

Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:05 pm

How do you ruin brilliant songs?......As proven in the videos posted above you just need Paul McCartney to 'sing' them.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:23 pm

Gary1 wrote:How do you ruin brilliant songs?......As proven in the videos posted above you just need Paul McCartney to 'sing' them.

Spoken like a 'true' Elvis fan! :wink:

Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:35 pm

Why does everything have to be a contest between Elvis and anything Beatles related? Christ, Elvis loved their music, they loved, appreciated and were inspired by Elvis. It's the same thing for Bruce. Lets appreciate the fact that the giants of the music industry, still unabashedly show how much Elvis has meant and still means to them. As a fan, I love this! I just wish Elvis was around to hear what these artists have to say about him.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:03 pm

I'm pretty sure the audio of We're Gonna Move is from August 1974. He also does Peggy Sue by Buddy Holly during the backyard jam.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:19 pm

r&b wrote:

Right, he doesn't sing My Way and ONJ covers. I guess that sucks for some.

Maybe because he had grown up? It was mentioned several times in the PFAP documentary he was now a mature artist and he sang and presented his show as a grown man...with musical interests than ran across the spectrum. He NEVER wanted to be seen as just a rock and roll artist, that was far too limiting to him personally. Didn't he tell Steve Sholes..."hey I can do more than just belt!" Elvis admired Frank Sinatra and made an early attempt at My Way in 1971, but didn't master it until 1972. As for ONJ covers, she started out as a country artist and we all know how much Elvis loved country music and those two songs were massive hits in 1973/74. Whether you liked any of it is a matter of personal taste... I distinctly remember an interview John Lennon gave where he was asked why he didn't perform Beatles' songs and he replied he was glad that people had liked that music but he was beyond it as a performer. NFL football is by far the most popular sport in America...how boring would it be to watch if every team ran the same handful of plays over and over again during every game?

Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:25 pm

jparsons1969 wrote:I'm pretty sure the audio of We're Gonna Move is from August 1974. He also does Peggy Sue by Buddy Holly during the backyard jam.

Yes it is.
it is all very well documented on the terrific Yellow Cat Label CD "Backyard"

Johnny, you have to get this one for your collection!

Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:16 am

ML4EP wrote:
r&b wrote:

Right, he doesn't sing My Way and ONJ covers. I guess that sucks for some.

Maybe because he had grown up? It was mentioned several times in the PFAP documentary he was now a mature artist and he sang and presented his show as a grown man...with musical interests than ran across the spectrum. He NEVER wanted to be seen as just a rock and roll artist, that was far too limiting to him personally. Didn't he tell Steve Sholes..."hey I can do more than just belt!" Elvis admired Frank Sinatra and made an early attempt at My Way in 1971, but didn't master it until 1972. As for ONJ covers, she started out as a country artist and we all know how much Elvis loved country music and those two songs were massive hits in 1973/74. Whether you liked any of it is a matter of personal taste... I distinctly remember an interview John Lennon gave where he was asked why he didn't perform Beatles' songs and he replied he was glad that people had liked that music but he was beyond it as a performer. NFL football is by far the most popular sport in America...how boring would it be to watch if every team ran the same handful of plays over and over again during every game?

Ironically, those "mature" ballads you're refering to sound much more outdated and corny than the early rock and roll...Bruce still performs RnR covers (Quarter to Three, Twist and Shout, Good Rockin' and such) and he drives huge stadia crazy