Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:43 pm

I'll state this again - especially for Karlos, who, I hope feels better:

Aloha did NOT reach the expected (or taunted) 1.5 BILLION viewing audience in any way, shape or form whatsoever. It was just a publicity stunt by RCA and the Colonel. I wish that EPE would STOP making this total myth into a fact. I'll use this post from a former member of TCB-World (Getlo) and the poster below him to illustrate this error:

The original telecast of Aloha was not watched by 1.5 billion people. Not even close to that figure.

It went out live to Hawaii and Asia, and two cities only here in Australia. And a few other countries.

It was beamed to Europe one day later, so viewers there cannot be included in the original total of viewers who saw it live.

The total amount of viewers who watched Aloha only ... and I repeat only ... comes near 1.5 billion when you add the viewers who watched in Europe one day later, and those in the US who saw it the following April.

I cannot say this any clearer.

More people watched the moon landing live in 1969 than Aloha live in 1973.

The moon landing was a one-off live event, with no significant edited versions months later, or a repeat one day later.

More people ... eventually ... watched Aloha than the moon landing - it just took a while. But that was not the case on January 14, 1973. Talk like this only serves to keep the myth going. It would be a lovely thing for Elvis to be remembered by, but it simply is not true.

I can't speak for other countries, but the Australian viewing total for Aloha has been exaggerated over the years as well. Something like 60% of TVs here were tuned into the telecast. Now, as I said, only two cities (Sydney and Melbourne) took the show live, the other cities dipped out. So it wasn't 60% of Aussie viewers tuning in at all ... only 60% of TVs in those two cities. Perhaps other countries' totals have been exaggerated over the years as well; I don't know.

And the response to Getlo's post:

Getlo is correct. The only people who originally claimed this were the record company and Elvis' circle. It is from there the myth grew and anytime this is mentioned, the myth is fallen back on.

Total viewers, maybe 1.5 billion, but this was not the number who actually saw the show live, not even close. I think the live numbers are probably closer to 100 million. The next day the rest of the world tuned in (not live) and then 3 months later the U.S. finally got in the game.
Last edited by Tony Trout on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:56 pm

Tony Trout wrote:I'll state this again - especially for Karlos, who, I hope feels better:

Aloha did NOT reach the expected (or taunted) 1.5 BILLION viewing audience in any way, shape or form whatsoever. It was just a publicity stunt by RCA and the Colonel. I wish that EPE would STOP making this total myth into a fact.


Yes I am really sick of hearing that also. Also the billion + records sold. No one really knows that to be fact do they? There was a 1964 article in 16 magazine titled, 'Why Do They Lie About Elvis/" Still seems applicable.

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:57 pm

Joe Car wrote:
karlos wrote:I received my copy of this book last Tuesday 17th June
whilst I was at Harefield Hospital-London - undergoing treatment for a massive heart attack I had suffered On Fathers Day the day before .
Its a great book I had looked for ward to since it was announced many months back -
Aloha has always been one of the best concerts that I have enjoyed over the years as a fan .

Some fans may not agree with me but Aloha show was another level in Elvis career just like his '68 Come back .
He enscapulated his status as King -
The book is well presented and has great pictures that I have not seen before in any mags or fan publications that I own .

Aloha From Hawaii was the very first concert to be transmitted via Sattelite to every
part of the world -viewed by over 1.5 billion viewers .
This was much more than The Moon Landings .
Elvis was certainly The King who achieved many challenges during his short career and this is one of the greatest ones -Amen -


N.B.Im restn more these days after my ordeal -Enjoy The Week


Karlos, I didn't hear about your heart attack. I hope you are going to be ok. Get some rest sir..


Yes, get well soon, karlos!

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:59 pm

r&b wrote:
Tony Trout wrote:I'll state this again - especially for Karlos, who, I hope feels better:

Aloha did NOT reach the expected (or taunted) 1.5 BILLION viewing audience in any way, shape or form whatsoever. It was just a publicity stunt by RCA and the Colonel. I wish that EPE would STOP making this total myth into a fact.


Yes I am really sick of hearing that also. Also the billion + records sold. No one really knows that to be fact do they? There was a 1964 article in 16 magazine titled, 'Why Do They Lie About Elvis/" Still seems applicable.



I would believe the "billion records sold" more than I would the myth of the Aloha viewership figures, myself.

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:10 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
karlos wrote:I received my copy of this book last Tuesday 17th June
whilst I was at Harefield Hospital-London - undergoing treatment for a massive heart attack I had suffered On Fathers Day the day before .
Its a great book I had looked for ward to since it was announced many months back -
Aloha has always been one of the best concerts that I have enjoyed over the years as a fan .

Some fans may not agree with me but Aloha show was another level in Elvis career just like his '68 Come back .
He enscapulated his status as King -
The book is well presented and has great pictures that I have not seen before in any mags or fan publications that I own .

Aloha From Hawaii was the very first concert to be transmitted via Sattelite to every
part of the world -viewed by over 1.5 billion viewers .
This was much more than The Moon Landings .
Elvis was certainly The King who achieved many challenges during his short career and this is one of the greatest ones -Amen -


N.B.Im restn more these days after my ordeal -Enjoy The Week




Karlos, I didn't hear about your heart attack. I hope you are going to be ok. Get some rest sir..


Yes, get well soon, karlos!


Ditto! Get well.

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:16 pm

Ty all for ya wishes-Im restn more these days and recovering -

See u all soon when Im feeling better -God Bless You all ::rocks 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:25 pm

chris j wrote:Hi Steve Morse. I think you ought to get the FTD book on Follow That Dream called "Summer of 61". There are SO many unseen photos in there, that are SO unusual, with Elvis looking relaxed and very natural. A knowledgeable long-time fan like you would really appreciate them. I would prefer this FTD book any day over the latest rather over-blown Aloha, lovely though the latter may be in many ways. In fact, the FTD would probably be near the top of the list my all-time favourite Elvis books. I thought it was very very beautiful.

Hi Chris,

I have thought about buying this, but it's so expensive and so far I've 'avoided' the FTD 1960-61 books for this reason. But I might change my mind before long . . .

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:34 pm

I ordered my copy way back before the April 1, 2013 deadline when Tunzi told me (via email) that he wouldn't be sending anymore out) and I still HAVE NOT received my copy!!! :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :? :x :evil:

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:21 pm

Got an email this morning from Tunzi that my copy of the "Aloha" book was shipped a couple of days ago. Should have it soon - YAY!!

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:18 pm

Got my copy of this MAMMOTH book this afternoon - AND I LOVE ALL SIX POUNDS OF IT!! GREAT JOB, BOXCAR!!!!

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:25 am

I've never rated the Aloha show. So a book about it doesn't do anything for me whatsoever. The show itself is boring....

For such a "special event" he could have at least changed his set-list for this show. Included songs that made him world famous like, "Don't", "His Lastest Flame", "Surrender", "Loving You", "I Need Your Love Tonight", "A Mess Of Blues", "Good Luck Charm" and so on.

Instead, he gave the world his regular Vegas show... That's just my opinion on the show.

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:06 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:I've never rated the Aloha show. So a book about it doesn't do anything for me whatsoever. The show itself is boring....

For such a "special event" he could have at least changed his set-list for this show. Included songs that made him world famous like, "Don't", "His Lastest Flame", "Surrender", "Loving You", "I Need Your Love Tonight", "A Mess Of Blues", "Good Luck Charm" and so on.

Instead, he gave the world his regular Vegas show... That's just my opinion on the show.


I think that was exactly the point, he gave the WORLD his Vegas show, as generally the world wasn't able to visit Vegas as easily as say they would today

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:18 pm

elvis56 wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:I've never rated the Aloha show. So a book about it doesn't do anything for me whatsoever. The show itself is boring....

For such a "special event" he could have at least changed his set-list for this show. Included songs that made him world famous like, "Don't", "His Lastest Flame", "Surrender", "Loving You", "I Need Your Love Tonight", "A Mess Of Blues", "Good Luck Charm" and so on.

Instead, he gave the world his regular Vegas show... That's just my opinion on the show.


I think that was exactly the point, he gave the WORLD his Vegas show, as generally the world wasn't able to visit Vegas as easily as say they would today



BINGO!! And the reason he didn't do the songs that you mentioned, IMO, is because they wouldn't have "fit" in the show. Some songs go over well live - some don't. And he also had a 60-minute time-slot to fill - and that was IT. If he went over that time limit, the satellite would have already shut off.

The main show is great, IMO, with the highlights being, "What Now, My Love" & "American Trilogy".

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:44 pm

The things I like about the Aloha book...

1. The fact that the producers of "Elvis On Tour" submitted a budget to produce the "Aloha" special.

2. Elvis contemplated adding "My Boy", "Suzy Q," "The Twelfth Of Never," Nilsson's "Without You" and Mac Davis' "Baby Don't Get Hooked On Me" to the set list for "Aloha"

3. The Quasar robot with the Colonel photo.

Daryl

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:54 pm

Tony Trout wrote:
elvis56 wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:I've never rated the Aloha show. So a book about it doesn't do anything for me whatsoever. The show itself is boring....

For such a "special event" he could have at least changed his set-list for this show. Included songs that made him world famous like, "Don't", "His Lastest Flame", "Surrender", "Loving You", "I Need Your Love Tonight", "A Mess Of Blues", "Good Luck Charm" and so on.

Instead, he gave the world his regular Vegas show... That's just my opinion on the show.


I think that was exactly the point, he gave the WORLD his Vegas show, as generally the world wasn't able to visit Vegas as easily as say they would today



BINGO!! And the reason he didn't do the songs that you mentioned, IMO, is because they wouldn't have "fit" in the show. Some songs go over well live - some don't. And he also had a 60-minute time-slot to fill - and that was IT. If he went over that time limit, the satellite would have already shut off.

The main show is great, IMO, with the highlights being, "What Now, My Love" & "American Trilogy".

And my point is, why give the world his Vegas show? This has absolutely nothing to do with my point...my point is, he should have given the world the hits that made him famous. Not songs that were made famous by other people "My Way" and so on. And don't forget, the songs he did on the Aloha show he had sang zillions of times before. And the hits he did do like "Hound Dog" were rushed, sloppy and a waste of time. The whole organisation was just sloppy, lazy and very unprofessional.

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:01 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
Tony Trout wrote:
elvis56 wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:I've never rated the Aloha show. The show itself is boring....

The whole organisation was just sloppy, lazy and very unprofessional.


No it wasn't, YOU think it was. But that's only your personal opinion. I'm sure your parents think you are God's gift to mankind, I might think you're an a s s, who's to say who's right.

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:20 pm

Simon1 wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
Tony Trout wrote:
elvis56 wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:I've never rated the Aloha show. The show itself is boring....

The whole organisation was just sloppy, lazy and very unprofessional.


No it wasn't, YOU think it was. But that's only your personal opinion. I'm sure your parents think you are God's gift to mankind, I might think you're an a s s, who's to say who's right.

My parents do not think i'm gods gift to mankind. And who are you to call me an ass? Your post proves to me that you know very little or understand the meaning of words creativeness and professionalism.

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:34 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
Tony Trout wrote:
elvis56 wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:I've never rated the Aloha show. The show itself is boring....

The whole organisation was just sloppy, lazy and very unprofessional.


No it wasn't, YOU think it was. But that's only your personal opinion. I'm sure your parents think you are God's gift to mankind, I might think you're an a s s, who's to say who's right.

My parents do not think i'm gods gift to mankind. And who are you to call me an ass? Your post proves to me that you know very little or understand the meaning of words creativeness and professionalism.


And your statement that the Aloha show was 'just sloppy, lazy and very unprofessional' proves to me that you are an ass clown.

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:57 pm

Simon1 wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
Tony Trout wrote:
elvis56 wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:I've never rated the Aloha show. The show itself is boring....

The whole organisation was just sloppy, lazy and very unprofessional.


No it wasn't, YOU think it was. But that's only your personal opinion. I'm sure your parents think you are God's gift to mankind, I might think you're an a s s, who's to say who's right.

My parents do not think i'm gods gift to mankind. And who are you to call me an ass? Your post proves to me that you know very little or understand the meaning of words creativeness and professionalism.


And your statement that the Aloha show was 'just sloppy, lazy and very unprofessional' proves to me that you are an ass clown.

Oh dear...you will never understand. May i ask you something, which is your favourite Elvis era?

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:12 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
Tony Trout wrote:
elvis56 wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:I've never rated the Aloha show. The show itself is boring....

The whole organisation was just sloppy, lazy and very unprofessional.


No it wasn't, YOU think it was. But that's only your personal opinion. I'm sure your parents think you are God's gift to mankind, I might think you're an a s s, who's to say who's right.

My parents do not think i'm gods gift to mankind. And who are you to call me an ass? Your post proves to me that you know very little or understand the meaning of words creativeness and professionalism.


And your statement that the Aloha show was 'just sloppy, lazy and very unprofessional' proves to me that you are an ass clown.

Oh dear...you will never understand. May i ask you something, which is your favourite Elvis era?


The show was not outstanding in any way except that Elvis looked the best he did since TTWII. As for song content, it was a tepid affair with him singing songs that had nothing to do with him, not even in his Vegas show. For this special event he should have pulled out all the stops and IMO he did not. I think a cool format would have been for him to revisit his career by decade, do a total Elvis Presley show, 50s-70s, yes even with some movie songs. The show would have stood out as a unique Elvis concert appearance and a masterpiece. Instead we got a MOR crooner show.

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:38 pm

r&b wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
Tony Trout wrote:
elvis56 wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:I've never rated the Aloha show. The show itself is boring....

The whole organisation was just sloppy, lazy and very unprofessional.


No it wasn't, YOU think it was. But that's only your personal opinion. I'm sure your parents think you are God's gift to mankind, I might think you're an a s s, who's to say who's right.

My parents do not think i'm gods gift to mankind. And who are you to call me an ass? Your post proves to me that you know very little or understand the meaning of words creativeness and professionalism.


And your statement that the Aloha show was 'just sloppy, lazy and very unprofessional' proves to me that you are an ass clown.

Oh dear...you will never understand. May i ask you something, which is your favourite Elvis era?


The show was not outstanding in any way except that Elvis looked the best he did since TTWII. As for song content, it was a tepid affair with him singing songs that had nothing to do with him, not even in his Vegas show. For this special event he should have pulled out all the stops and IMO he did not. I think a cool format would have been for him to revisit his career by decade, do a total Elvis Presley show, 50s-70s, yes even with some movie songs. The show would have stood out as a unique Elvis concert appearance and a masterpiece. Instead we got a MOR crooner show.

Exactly, which is what i said about songs choices in my earlier post above.

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:44 pm

The show was a sensation back in 1973. looking at it in the right time-frame it's still a great achievement, rather you like it or not.

Sometimes I get the feeling people p*ss off certain songs or performances for their own ego or something.

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:51 pm

Hans wrote:The show was a sensation back in 1973. looking at it in the right time-frame it's still a great achievement, rather you like it or not.

Sometimes I get the feeling people p*ss off certain songs or performances for their own ego or something.


Ego? Whose? You seem to forget that Elvis only 3 years earlier, was a much more dynamic performer. For those of us who preferred that kind of Elvis, there is nothing wrong in stating the opinion that the Aloha Elvis was much less dynamic, which he was. Even singing other people's songs in TTWII such as 'Lovin Feeling', there is much more life to the performance. One only has to see Suspicious Minds from both venues to get this point. And I don't want to hear that Elvis was years older. For goodness sakes he just turned only 38. He could have put a little more into it. Getting back on topic, do not want the book.

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:22 pm

[quote="Hans"]The show was a sensation back in 1973. looking at it in the right time-frame it's still a great achievement, rather you like it or not.

Sometimes I get the feeling people p*ss off certain songs or performances for their own ego or something.[/quote]

Agreed. I recall no complaints from Elvis fans at the time. We did not want a repeat of ETTWII. Elvis was maturing as a singer and that's what he wanted the world to see. I think he sang superbly and I like the setlist as-is (was!). The fact that his career then started on a downward slide is a separate issue.

If he had sung loads of his own hits (not previously performed live), how many would have sounded authentic to the original versions ? Probably none, I would suggest, as he wasn't interested in doing them that way.

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:57 pm

Steve Morse wrote:[quote="Hans"]The show was a sensation back in 1973. looking at it in the right time-frame it's still a great achievement, rather you like it or not.

Sometimes I get the feeling people p*ss off certain songs or performances for their own ego or something.


Agreed. I recall no complaints from Elvis fans at the time. We did not want a repeat of ETTWII. Elvis was maturing as a singer and that's what he wanted the world to see. I think he sang superbly and I like the setlist as-is (was!). The fact that his career then started on a downward slide is a separate issue.

If he had sung loads of his own hits (not previously performed live), how many would have sounded authentic to the original versions ? Probably none, I would suggest, as he wasn't interested in doing them that way.[/quote]


What makes you think the fans didn't want the TTWII Elvis?

"if he had of sang loads of hits, he hadn't performed before, would they have sounded as authentic as the originals?" Ludicrous!! Shame he didn't treat "Hound Dog" and "Blue Suede Shoes" with a bit of respect.

"no complaints from Elvis fans at the time" Thats because they were to blind to notice, too goggle-eyed, to notice what he was singing. It seems seeing him was more important than the music, sad.

Don't same fans just wanna make you bang your head up against a brick wall........