Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:44 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:Hound Dog, Love Me, Blue Suede Shoes, Fever, Long Tall Sally/Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On, Welcome to my World, I'm so Lonesome I could Cry, It's Over, Suspicious Minds, Can't Help Falling in Love and Something from the Aloha show are far from "entertaining"

You forgot to type "in my opinion"!!!

I agree with you on "welcome to my world", but the others version of the songs you metioned are entertaining to me and I can tell you that I know many other Elvis fans who find those versions also entertaining!

Are those versions the best versions from our man, certainly not, but to write them off is going way to far in my opinion and here lies the crux of the matter.

Today ppl can not decern between facts and opinions, in your latest post, you elevated you personal opinion to a fact which will always fail, because other ppl think otherwise, so why do even go there???

Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:28 pm

I also like Welcome To My World - it fits perfectly between Fever & Suspicious Minds. RCA felt that particular song even good enough to name a whole album after it.

At least in my opinion that is

Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:38 pm

Hans wrote:I also like Welcome To My World - it fits perfectly between Fever & Suspicious Minds. RCA felt that particular song even good enough to name a whole album after it.

At least in my opinion that is

See, one is a fact: " RCA felt that particular song even good enough to name a whole album after it."

the other is an opinion in itsel because it contains "I ... like ...": "I also like Welcome To My World - it fits perfectly between Fever & Suspicious Minds."

... no need for further qualifications in that case. Thank you very much.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:17 pm

elvis56 wrote: ... but this book is just nothing short of incredible ...

The pictures in your post show me no new ones. I have the two Tunzi-Books about the subject and I don't believe that in this one is so much new, that I must buy it. Maybe I wrong but how many pictures are new?

Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:00 pm

Winston wrote:

The pictures in your post show me no new ones. I have the two Tunzi-Books about the subject and I don't believe that in this one is so much new, that I must buy it. Maybe I wrong but how many pictures are new?

Yes, I really would like to know which of the photos are totally new and I also would like to know which of the photos are drastically improved which is as good as unpunlished to me, depending on the quality of course.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:25 pm

I also have the Tunzi books being very glad not to pass on this one.

It is kinda strange that people who don't own it or intent getting it have the most outspoken aversion against it. Looks like they have to convince themselfes the most. I have it and I know how happy I'm with it.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:32 pm

Hans wrote:I also have the Tunzi books being very glad not to pass on this one.

It is kinda strange that people who don't own it or intent getting it have the most outspoken aversion against it. Looks like they have to convince themselfes the most. I have it and I know how happy I'm with it.

my Vegas money is on you being correct.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:54 pm

BigBird wrote:
r&b wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
Hans wrote:Reading your posts I get the idea you have a slight probplem shifting facts and opinions Mysterytrainrideson .......

I have no such problem, Hans. The problem is, is that other people can't except other peoples opinion(s). I said that i think the show is boring and Simon1 called me an ass for saying so. If people like the show that's fine by me. And i think the Aloha show was a big let down for a lot of fans, for the reasons i've already stated. If someone doesn't like someone else's opinion, fine. But coming on here name calling is not on.

All i was saying is the show could've been and should've been a whole lot better and more creative.

I shouldn't have called you an ass :) I got carried away, but I didn't say that because you felt the show was 'boring'. If you feel that way there's nothing I can do to change that nor am I inclined. But I did call you that because you said:

'The whole organisation was just sloppy, lazy and very unprofessional'

And that just isn't true in any way. It was the most expensive TV special ever produced, Elvis sang his heart out, the album of the show went to number one, Elvis looked spectacular. So the words sloppy, lazy and unprofessional can never be put in one sentence with The Aloha show.

So, the rushed, hardly complete performances of the songs, "Love me", "Johnny b goode", "Hound dog", "Blue suede shoes" and "Long tall sally/shakin'"are great performances? No, very sloppy, lazy and unprofessional!!!

The songs, "what now my love", "My way", "welcome to my world" and "i can't stop loving you" were made famous by other artists, not Elvis. So to include these songs in a set list made famous by other artists in an Elvis show televised worldwide is a rather strange move. Very sloppy, lazy and unprofessional.

You know what, I give up :) Go and ceremoniously burn all your Aloha stuff (if you have it) and find yourself another hobby.
Maybe Chuck Berry is it for you, he has never changed from his early years, always stuck to the same routine, always the same performances. And that is why he was performing in Las Vegas for 500 seaters and Elvis Presley still was a superstar in the Seventies :) Have a happy.

Kind of silly to say that isn't it? its 36 years later and Chuck is still playing. If Elvis were still alive, perhaps he would be playing to 500 seats also. One never knows.

Actually one can actually know, just look at this message board, Elvis fans posting thousends of post daily and what about the Elvis The Concert thing? Yet you come with the notion that Elvis would be playing for only 500 ppl, while only the video taped, or filmed Elvis attracks tens of thousends into concert halls around the globe up until today? Pls explain you logoic, thank you.

No you don't know. 36 years is a long time. Remember how bad things were in 1977. It could have kept getting worse to the point of Elvis being a non-factor in the entertainment world except for any loyal fans he had left. If Elvis was to live and continue to put out sub-par product and concerts into the 80's and beyond. longtime fans would have stopped caring and new fans would have been few and far n-between. His death at a young age greatly added to his legend and folklore and that is why forums like this exist today.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:27 pm

I apologize. Yes, in my opinion Elvis sang mediocre versions of his big hits and average versions of some cover country hits cited above. To me half of the Aloha From Hawaii concert material is mediocre at best. Sorry, I don't want to offend anyone, but this is my opinion.

Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:08 am

jurasic1968 wrote:I apologize. Yes, in my opinion Elvis sang mediocre versions of his big hits and average versions of some cover country hits cited above. To me half of the Aloha From Hawaii concert material is mediocre at best. Sorry, I don't want to offend anyone, but this is my opinion.

I can totally live with that, thank you.

Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:51 am

a mess of polk salad wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
Hans wrote:Reading your posts I get the idea you have a slight probplem shifting facts and opinions Mysterytrainrideson .......

I have no such problem, Hans. The problem is, is that other people can't except other peoples opinion(s). I said that i think the show is boring and Simon1 called me an ass for saying so. If people like the show that's fine by me. And i think the Aloha show was a big let down for a lot of fans, for the reasons i've already stated. If someone doesn't like someone else's opinion, fine. But coming on here name calling is not on.

All i was saying is the show could've been and should've been a whole lot better and more creative.

I shouldn't have called you an ass :) I got carried away, but I didn't say that because you felt the show was 'boring'. If you feel that way there's nothing I can do to change that nor am I inclined. But I did call you that because you said:

And that just isn't true in any way. It was the most expensive TV special ever produced, Elvis sang his heart out, the album of the show went to number one, Elvis looked spectacular. So the words sloppy, lazy and unprofessional can never be put in one sentence with The Aloha show.

So, the rushed, hardly complete performances of the songs, "Love me", "Johnny b goode", "Hound dog", "Blue suede shoes" and "Long tall sally/shakin'"are great performances? No, very sloppy, lazy and unprofessional!!!

The songs, "what now my love", "My way", "welcome to my world" and "i can't stop loving you" were made famous by other artists, not Elvis. So to include these songs in a set list made famous by other artists in an Elvis show televised worldwide is a rather strange move. Very sloppy, lazy and unprofessional.

Maybe he couldn't keep singing the older songs...he needed fresh material to keep moving forward. The ALOHA show offered a contrast to TTWII & ON TOUR - admittedly the oldies were rushed through, but they still entertained.

There's certainly nothing sloppy about AMERICAN TRILOGY! The definitive perfo
mance. BURNING LOVE rocks the house too,and no one sings the blues like Elvis on STEAMROLLER - both the rehearsal and main show performance are supercool!!
That's the great thing about Elvis - all the different concert songs and movies.

I agree, an artist as Elvis needed fresh material to keep motivated and not get in a creative slump as he did in Vegas etc.

I watch the Aloha From hawaii performance, as a very professional polished performance.

Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:39 am

memphisound wrote:
a mess of polk salad wrote:
Simon1 wrote:

Maybe he couldn't keep singing the older songs...he needed fresh material to keep moving forward. The ALOHA show offered a contrast to TTWII & ON TOUR - admittedly the oldies were rushed through, but they still entertained.

There's certainly nothing sloppy about AMERICAN TRILOGY! The definitive perfo
mance. BURNING LOVE rocks the house too,and no one sings the blues like Elvis on STEAMROLLER - both the rehearsal and main show performance are supercool!!
That's the great thing about Elvis - all the different concert songs and movies.

I agree, an artist as Elvis needed fresh material to keep motivated and not get in a creative slump as he did in Vegas etc.

I watch the Aloha From hawaii performance, as a very professional polished performance.

That's right. Me too it is a polished performance.

Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:46 am

A world without "Aloha From Hawaii"? No, sir! That is impossible. Great TV-Special and the "Goodbye" from the greatest performer. All he can show us he had done in the years before. After that there are no new challenges and he goes his way in sadness to a painful finale.

Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:38 pm

Winston wrote:A world without "Aloha From Hawaii"? No, sir! That is impossible. Great TV-Special and the "Goodbye" from the greatest performer. All he can show us he had done in the years before. After that there are no new challenges and he goes his way in sadness to a painful finale.

Oh, there were other challenges but...Parker usually wound up asking too much money. Remember the offer to play Wembley? And the many movie roles Parker turned down or Elvis, himself, sometimes turned down?

Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:19 am

Winston wrote:

I don't actually have the Tunzi books so can't really answer that I'm afraid :(

I've not said anyone must buy it, I just randomly opened a few sections n pulled some images to give a general idea of how the book n layout looks - to my eyes there are plenty of new images & its looks a stunning book to me. Seems to of opened a whole can o worms on these 6 pages

to 'I have every Aloha book goin fans' I don't know if there's 1 or a 100 new images. Maybe its a book what puts the images of a few books all in place on a grander scale - I genuinely don't know the answer. The MRS blurb does say some unpublished images-how many?.....? If JP, JT or MRS are on this forum maybe they can answer

Peace, love & rock n roll ::rocks

Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:24 pm

I have counted around 95 that I have not seen before, but as with most things that number is going to be higher and lower depending on a number of things, for just about everyone out there.
all I can say as with the majority that have bought this book its a delight to own.
I have now put the book finally back in its slip case and on the shelf with the "Graceland" book and they make a great pair of books although now I have moved on and the long wait now for the next instalment from "Boxcar".

Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:21 pm

Trevor 65 wrote:I have counted around 95 that I have not seen before, but as with most things that number is going to be higher and lower depending on a number of things, for just about everyone out there.
all I can say as with the majority that have bought this book its a delight to own.
I have now put the book finally back in its slip case and on the shelf with the "Graceland" book and they make a great pair of books although now I have moved on and the long wait now for the next instalment from "Boxcar".

I love your avatar, maybe the best bootleg ever, Totally Stung! My favorite photo books are 68 at 40 and Elvis Vegas '69. To me, these book were turning points to the ones prior. They were both hardcover and of exceptional quality, but they also started the major price increases we are used to today. The prior Tunzi books, all softcover were good, but once he went to hardcover (Elvis Gold, Viva Las Vegas, Speedway), the prices went way up, and you got a lot of duplication and ripped off. The other books I enjoy in my collection are the early Ger Rijff books of the 80's and 90's. They focused on the 50's which is my favorite period. Every new book now is VERY expensive, so it has to be on a subject I really enjoy. Not a big Aloha fan , so I will pass this up.

Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:34 pm

Tony Trout wrote:And the many movie roles Parker turned down or Elvis, himself, sometimes turned down?

I've never heard of that happening... not saying it didn't but I don't recall reading anything about Elvis turning down a role for a movie without Tom Parker's input...

Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:35 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

This is one of the unreleased pictures included in the book, well at least to me :wink:.

Sorry for the little imperfections on the picture, it´s because of my shitty scanner :smt005. But please don´t put this you away it is any way in perfect quality on the book.

Elvis: Lean, mean and kickin´ butt :smt007. Bye for now :smt006.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:03 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
Tony Trout wrote:And the many movie roles Parker turned down or Elvis, himself, sometimes turned down?

I've never heard of that happening... not saying it didn't but I don't recall reading anything about Elvis turning down a role for a movie without Tom Parker's input...

I know the book, "Elvis: His Life From A To Z" has errors but...there are a few mentions in there in the later chapters of the book.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:54 pm

Even the alternate (considered) tracklists offered no real surprises... Nilsson's "Without You"??? C'mon... :?

I love the song but I don't think it suited Elvis. Way too (vocally) straining for our man. Somehow I'm glad he did "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" for I think that was an outstanding (and oh so honest) performance.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:05 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

This is one of the unreleased pictures included in the book, well at least to me :wink:.

Sorry for the little imperfections on the picture, it´s because of my shitty scanner :smt005. But please don´t put this you away it is any way in perfect quality on the book.

I thought I had seen that one before Mike... I'm pretty sure I've seen the full image as well... just can't recall where...but it's a beauty!

Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:13 pm

Even the unseen shots are pretty close to what we know. I think I have seen enough Aloha pictures in the last 40 years to last my lifetime.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:22 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D

elvis-fan wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

I thought I had seen that one before Mike... I'm pretty sure I've seen the full image as well... just can't recall where...but it's a beauty!

Thank you for the info elvis-fan ::rocks. This is any way the only Aloha From Hawaii book I have :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:23 am

This information is interesting for me:
According with this new book on page 58 appear a song list under title “Songs to be cleared for posible performance”. Between various songs appears:

-I got a woman
-Until It´s time for you to go.
-You don´t have to say you love me.
-Love me tender.
-Little sister.
-One night.
-Blue suede shoes.
-All shook up.
-Teddy Bear.
-Don´t be cruel.
-The wonder of you.
-My babe.
-How great thou art.

On page 59 shows other two “Elvis Special Song List”. In first one (jan 8, 1973) appears between others:
-Born to loose.
-Baby don´t get hooked on me.
-Without You.

The second one song list from same page appears:
-Twelfth of Never.
-It´s imposible.
-Suzy Q.

On page 393 for "Insert session songs after Aloha concert" explains also considered two ballads of movies: "Am I Ready" from Spinout and "Tender Felling" fom Kissin´Cousins. And a bonus track of movie Paradise Hawaiian Style: Sand Castles.

Finally, on pages 422 and 431 includes too “Lawdy Miss Clawdy”.