Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:13 pm

Steve Morse wrote:[quote="Hans"]The show was a sensation back in 1973. looking at it in the right time-frame it's still a great achievement, rather you like it or not.

Sometimes I get the feeling people p*ss off certain songs or performances for their own ego or something.


Agreed. I recall no complaints from Elvis fans at the time. We did not want a repeat of ETTWII. Elvis was maturing as a singer and that's what he wanted the world to see. I think he sang superbly and I like the setlist as-is (was!). The fact that his career then started on a downward slide is a separate issue.

If he had sung loads of his own hits (not previously performed live), how many would have sounded authentic to the original versions ? Probably none, I would suggest, as he wasn't interested in doing them that way.[/quote]

Actually that is not true at all. When I went to see Elvs at MSG , 10 friends & cousins came with me. Some were expecting to see the TTWII Elvis, especially since that is what the most recent representation of Elvis was in concert . Some had only seen Elvis on TV in 68 and became fans. Some had the 1969 Vegas album. They were all expecting something similar to what they knew. They got a much more subdued Elvis by their own admission singing songs that made them scratch their heads. Remember these were not super fans and some were not pleased. I could understand their feelings. When you are a super Elvis fan, all is good. When you are a casual fan, and more a concert/music fan , it is totally understandable. For some, the scarves and the cape just don't cut it.

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:17 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
Steve Morse wrote:[quote="Hans"]The show was a sensation back in 1973. looking at it in the right time-frame it's still a great achievement, rather you like it or not.

Sometimes I get the feeling people p*ss off certain songs or performances for their own ego or something.


Agreed. I recall no complaints from Elvis fans at the time. We did not want a repeat of ETTWII. Elvis was maturing as a singer and that's what he wanted the world to see. I think he sang superbly and I like the setlist as-is (was!). The fact that his career then started on a downward slide is a separate issue.

If he had sung loads of his own hits (not previously performed live), how many would have sounded authentic to the original versions ? Probably none, I would suggest, as he wasn't interested in doing them that way.


You have somehow muddled up the quoting process, but here are my reactions to your comments :

What makes you think the fans didn't want the TTWII Elvis? OK - that's the way I feel - others may feel differently - though what I was really referring to was the song line-up.

"if he had of sang loads of hits, he hadn't performed before, would they have sounded as authentic as the originals?" Ludicrous!! Shame he didn't treat "Hound Dog" and "Blue Suede Shoes" with a bit of respect. That's exactly my point !! (Incidentally, if you are going to "quote" me, make it an accurate quote.)

"no complaints from Elvis fans at the time" Thats because they were to blind to notice, too goggle-eyed, to notice what he was singing. It seems seeing him was more important than the music, sad. No, just fact, inasmuch as I don't recall reading or hearing of any disappointed fans. Obviously there would be some fans who had wanted something different but, as far I remember, they were mighty silent at the time !

Don't same fans just wanna make you bang your head up against a brick wall....... You have just confirmed that[/quote]


I presume you were around at the time of the Aloha project. If so, would you like to comment on fans' reactions at the time, as you recall them ?

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:26 am

Steve, there wasn't one fan who had anything bad to say about Aloha at the time, fans were salivating by the mere mentioning of the special. You witnessed it, I witnessed it. Some fans are trying to change history it seems.
In those days we went to conventions and blessed our lucky stars to see ANY movie on the big screen. Let alone see the Aloha show, my god, everyone said he looked and sounded fantastic. Now 4 decades later some wise asses want to paint a picture that didn't exist. Same thing with the jumpsuits, some fans can't stand them these days and try to convince the younger fans that it was like that in the Seventies.

Let me tell you, fans were as much looking forward to what particular suit he would be wearing as to which songs he would sing. There Was no criticism. Or like you said they were mighty quiet at the time.

Criticism is always welcome, but trying to re-invent history isn't.

Aloha was Huge, and nothing can change that Fact.

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:03 am

Simon1 wrote:Steve, there wasn't one fan who had anything bad to say about Aloha at the time ...


Really?

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:15 am

I certainly didn't care for "Aloha" when it came out. It was the first time I ever thought, "Elvis is boring." The special certainly rocked my opinion about Elvis. He had transformed from the King of Rock and Roll to someone who sang songs better heard through an alcoholic haze at a Holiday Inn.

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:24 am

RonBaker2003 wrote:I certainly didn't care for "Aloha" when it came out. It was the first time I ever thought, "Elvis is boring." The special certainly rocked my opinion about Elvis. He had transformed from the King of Rock and Roll to someone who sang songs better heard through an alcoholic haze at a Holiday Inn.


You didn't have that feeling much earlier when Elvis recorded Wooden Heart?

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:25 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Simon1 wrote:Steve, there wasn't one fan who had anything bad to say about Aloha at the time ...


Really?


At the time I didn't encounter them Doc.

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:40 am

I hope to purchase this book one day even though the Aloha was crap, overrated and anybody who liked it is delusional! :facep:

Again, people with their OPINIONS trying to talk down to others that don't agree as if their OPINION is FACT. If you like it, great, if you don't, great.

I for one, love the Aloha and have always loved it. I wasn't born when it originally aired so I can't speak for the reaction it received at the time. I do know that the album reached #1 so there had to be some positive reaction to it.

I think the setlist was great as it really showed off Elvis' voice. Watching him hit the stage and rocking through See See Rider and Burning Love, singing great versions of You Gave Me A Mountain, Steamroller Blues, My Way, and A Big Hunk 'O Love, and presenting me with my all-time favorite versions of I Can't Stop Loving You, I'll Remember You, and An American Trilogy are why I love the Aloha. I am more about the performance of the music rather than the show (ie. gyrating, jokes, long monologues, etc...).

To each his own...

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:04 am

ranskal wrote:I hope to purchase this book one day even though the Aloha was crap, overrated and anybody who liked it is delusional! :facep:

Again, people with their OPINIONS trying to talk down to others that don't agree as if their OPINION is FACT. If you like it, great, if you don't, great.

I for one, love the Aloha and have always loved it. I wasn't born when it originally aired so I can't speak for the reaction it received at the time. I do know that the album reached #1 so there had to be some positive reaction to it.

I think the setlist was great as it really showed off Elvis' voice. Watching him hit the stage and rocking through See See Rider and Burning Love, singing great versions of You Gave Me A Mountain, Steamroller Blues, My Way, and A Big Hunk 'O Love, and presenting me with my all-time favorite versions of I Can't Stop Loving You, I'll Remember You, and An American Trilogy are why I love the Aloha. I am more about the performance of the music rather than the show (ie. gyrating, jokes, long monologues, etc...).

To each his own...

Nobodys talking down to anybody...we are dealing with facts here, if people can't deal with facts or except them, that's their problem.

Yes, their was a lot of hype and excitement before the show was aired. But what people thought AFTER the show was aired (and i'm talking about at the time) is a different matter altogether. I was around when it was aired but i was only 6 years old, so i don't remember it when it was originally aired. When i did see it for the first i was disappointed. Some fans i know who saw it at the time thought it was a very average show. They were disappointed with the song choices..."Why didn't he do "It's now or never?" and so on.

He does sing well. But all i'm saying is, for this special event he should have pulled out all the stops and changed his set list for all the fans who didn't get the opportunity to see Elvis Perform the hits that made him famous.

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:03 pm

Reading your posts I get the idea you have a slight probplem shifting facts and opinions Mysterytrainrideson .......

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:34 pm

There are differences of opinion, here, which is fine - though there are some mild hysterics which are unnecessary. My memories of the impact of Aloha are from the actual time. People who weren't around at the time don't have that option. They, and some who were around, can't help but view it with up to 40 years of hindsight (or acquired hindsight) or elements of such. That's natural and it's not necessarily a bad thing. I always prefer to judge things by the standards of taste, fashion, technology etc, which prevailed at the time.

My memories of Elvis go back to 1959, and "A Fool Such As I". I became a dedicated fan in 1963. In January 1973, though the world of instant communications and instant reactions was about 25 years into the future, there was great excitement about the Aloha project. It was the culmination of nearly 5 great years of Elvis's revival and almost the 'icing on the cake'. I loved the double LP, and that summer was able to watch the show several times at UK film events arranged by Rex Martin. It was several years before Aloha was screened on British TV (was it 1978?).

It has always been my favourite Elvis concert and I can't deny that there is more than an element of nostalgia involved as it was around that time that I met my wife. If I ever wanted to demonstrate Elvis's pure singing ability, artistry and versatility then I would probably choose Aloha (and hope people would ignore the flared 'trousers' !). ETTWII would be a very close second, though that is a composite of several shows.

In terms of the 'later Elvis', we are extremely lucky in that we have the 68 Special, ETTWII, On Tour and Aloha, giving us (in many ways) 4 different Elvises or Elvi. Gaudeamus igitur - so let us rejoice !!!!

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:40 pm

Some people still don't get the concept of the Aloha show, Parker was sick and tired of people (fans, RCA, Elvis perhaps, media) trying to get Elvis to do a world tour. This TV show was to present the world the Elvis Presley show as was.
They could watch a live show from the comfort of their own chairs.

The idea that Elvis was to go on stage and suddenly sing songs he hadn't sung in over a decade is ludicrous. It was meant to show what he was like at the time. And Elvis didn't have Return To Sender, Don't, Such A Night and so on in his repertoire at that time. It's all very simple really.....

The idea backfired on Parker of course, after seeing Elvis on tv the demand for overseas performances only grew.
And what a great show it was, from the moment he stepped on that stage till he left....sheer perfection, nobody could touch him, he was unique and I still feel sorry for fans who can't see this, really I am.

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:55 pm

Hans wrote:Reading your posts I get the idea you have a slight probplem shifting facts and opinions Mysterytrainrideson .......

I have no such problem, Hans. The problem is, is that other people can't except other peoples opinion(s). I said that i think the show is boring and Simon1 called me an ass for saying so. If people like the show that's fine by me. And i think the Aloha show was a big let down for a lot of fans, for the reasons i've already stated. If someone doesn't like someone else's opinion, fine. But coming on here name calling is not on.

All i was saying is the show could've been and should've been a whole lot better and more creative.

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:08 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
Hans wrote:Reading your posts I get the idea you have a slight probplem shifting facts and opinions Mysterytrainrideson .......

I have no such problem, Hans. The problem is, is that other people can't except other peoples opinion(s). I said that i think the show is boring and Simon1 called me an ass for saying so. If people like the show that's fine by me. And i think the Aloha show was a big let down for a lot of fans, for the reasons i've already stated. If someone doesn't like someone else's opinion, fine. But coming on here name calling is not on.

All i was saying is the show could've been and should've been a whole lot better and more creative.


I shouldn't have called you an ass :) I got carried away, but I didn't say that because you felt the show was 'boring'. If you feel that way there's nothing I can do to change that nor am I inclined. But I did call you that because you said:

'The whole organisation was just sloppy, lazy and very unprofessional'

And that just isn't true in any way. It was the most expensive TV special ever produced, Elvis sang his heart out, the album of the show went to number one, Elvis looked spectacular. So the words sloppy, lazy and unprofessional can never be put in one sentence with The Aloha show.

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:15 pm

Simon1 wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
Hans wrote:Reading your posts I get the idea you have a slight probplem shifting facts and opinions Mysterytrainrideson .......

I have no such problem, Hans. The problem is, is that other people can't except other peoples opinion(s). I said that i think the show is boring and Simon1 called me an ass for saying so. If people like the show that's fine by me. And i think the Aloha show was a big let down for a lot of fans, for the reasons i've already stated. If someone doesn't like someone else's opinion, fine. But coming on here name calling is not on.

All i was saying is the show could've been and should've been a whole lot better and more creative.


I shouldn't have called you an ass :) I got carried away, but I didn't say that because you felt the show was 'boring'. If you feel that way there's nothing I can do to change that nor am I inclined. But I did call you that because you said:

'The whole organisation was just sloppy, lazy and very unprofessional'

And that just isn't true in any way. It was the most expensive TV special ever produced, Elvis sang his heart out, the album of the show went to number one, Elvis looked spectacular. So the words sloppy, lazy and unprofessional can never be put in one sentence with The Aloha show.

So, the rushed, hardly complete performances of the songs, "Love me", "Johnny b goode", "Hound dog", "Blue suede shoes" and "Long tall sally/shakin'"are great performances? No, very sloppy, lazy and unprofessional!!!

The songs, "what now my love", "My way", "welcome to my world" and "i can't stop loving you" were made famous by other artists, not Elvis. So to include these songs in a set list made famous by other artists in an Elvis show televised worldwide is a rather strange move. Very sloppy, lazy and unprofessional.

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:37 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
Hans wrote:Reading your posts I get the idea you have a slight probplem shifting facts and opinions Mysterytrainrideson .......

I have no such problem, Hans. The problem is, is that other people can't except other peoples opinion(s). I said that i think the show is boring and Simon1 called me an ass for saying so. If people like the show that's fine by me. And i think the Aloha show was a big let down for a lot of fans, for the reasons i've already stated. If someone doesn't like someone else's opinion, fine. But coming on here name calling is not on.

All i was saying is the show could've been and should've been a whole lot better and more creative.


I shouldn't have called you an ass :) I got carried away, but I didn't say that because you felt the show was 'boring'. If you feel that way there's nothing I can do to change that nor am I inclined. But I did call you that because you said:

'The whole organisation was just sloppy, lazy and very unprofessional'

And that just isn't true in any way. It was the most expensive TV special ever produced, Elvis sang his heart out, the album of the show went to number one, Elvis looked spectacular. So the words sloppy, lazy and unprofessional can never be put in one sentence with The Aloha show.

So, the rushed, hardly complete performances of the songs, "Love me", "Johnny b goode", "Hound dog", "Blue suede shoes" and "Long tall sally/shakin'"are great performances? No, very sloppy, lazy and unprofessional!!!

The songs, "what now my love", "My way", "welcome to my world" and "i can't stop loving you" were made famous by other artists, not Elvis. So to include these songs in a set list made famous by other artists in an Elvis show televised worldwide is a rather strange move. Very sloppy, lazy and unprofessional.


You know what, I give up :) Go and ceremoniously burn all your Aloha stuff (if you have it) and find yourself another hobby.
Maybe Chuck Berry is it for you, he has never changed from his early years, always stuck to the same routine, always the same performances. And that is why he was performing in Las Vegas for 500 seaters and Elvis Presley still was a superstar in the Seventies :) Have a happy.

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:02 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Looks fantastic actually. Who wrote the text? Is it Mike Eder? It's too bad I am boycotting all Pirzada products on acount of his bad behaviour towards Ernst, but if I'd ever forgive the fellow and move on, I guess now would be a good time. But... no. I ain't done boycottin' just yet. Sorry! :D



Forgiveness.

How is that for a thought!

The thing is, I could not care less on how anybody behaives to Ernst, I am not his bodyguard, nor am I his public relations agent.

being insulted by proxi is insane!

On the contrary, I can totally understand that some ppl are pissed about JP's behaivior, which can be quite erratic every now and then, but one mus be fair, if he, JP, did not insult you personally you have no right to be insulted, logic demands that actually.

Also a fcat is, that JP character in its whole empowers him to do those top notch releases and the same ingredients of his core being makes him erratic, as a chinees proverb says:

"if you want honey, you also want bee stings"

A proverb which hold also true for our hero, the negative aspects of Elvis' character (such as overdoing stuff to no end) also enabled him to do those great things in another situation.
Last edited by BigBird on Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:20 pm

Excellent post BigBird.

I feel the same, I thank Ernst for all he is doing but at the same time I thank Pirzada for releasing top products. To deny myself quality products by Pirzada because he was being naughty to Ernst would be ridiculous.
Neither are perfect, nobody is. I buy what I like no matter who releases it.

Cheers,
Simon

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:26 pm

Simon1 wrote:Excellent post BigBird.

I feel the same, I thank Ernst for all he is doing but at the same time I thank Pirzada for releasing top products. To deny myself quality products by Pirzada because he was being naughty to Ernst would be ridiculous.
Neither are perfect, nobody is. I buy what I like no matter who releases it.

Cheers,
Simon


exactly!

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:06 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
Hans wrote:Reading your posts I get the idea you have a slight probplem shifting facts and opinions Mysterytrainrideson .......

I have no such problem, Hans. The problem is, is that other people can't except other peoples opinion(s). I said that i think the show is boring and Simon1 called me an ass for saying so. If people like the show that's fine by me. And i think the Aloha show was a big let down for a lot of fans, for the reasons i've already stated. If someone doesn't like someone else's opinion, fine. But coming on here name calling is not on.

All i was saying is the show could've been and should've been a whole lot better and more creative.


I shouldn't have called you an ass :) I got carried away, but I didn't say that because you felt the show was 'boring'. If you feel that way there's nothing I can do to change that nor am I inclined. But I did call you that because you said:

'The whole organisation was just sloppy, lazy and very unprofessional'

And that just isn't true in any way. It was the most expensive TV special ever produced, Elvis sang his heart out, the album of the show went to number one, Elvis looked spectacular. So the words sloppy, lazy and unprofessional can never be put in one sentence with The Aloha show.

So, the rushed, hardly complete performances of the songs, "Love me", "Johnny b goode", "Hound dog", "Blue suede shoes" and "Long tall sally/shakin'"are great performances? No, very sloppy, lazy and unprofessional!!!

The songs, "what now my love", "My way", "welcome to my world" and "i can't stop loving you" were made famous by other artists, not Elvis. So to include these songs in a set list made famous by other artists in an Elvis show televised worldwide is a rather strange move. Very sloppy, lazy and unprofessional.

Maybe he couldn't keep singing the older songs...he needed fresh material to keep moving forward. The ALOHA show offered a contrast to TTWII & ON TOUR - admittedly the oldies were rushed through, but they still entertained.

There's certainly nothing sloppy about AMERICAN TRILOGY! The definitive perfo
mance. BURNING LOVE rocks the house too,and no one sings the blues like Elvis on STEAMROLLER - both the rehearsal and main show performance are supercool!!
That's the great thing about Elvis - all the different concert songs and movies.

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:56 pm

Elvis did whatever he wanted to do and most of the times it worked, his talent and success in the Fifties was unbelievable, unprecedented and unequalled. He could very easily have lived off his fame from the Fifties the remainder of his life, much a la Bill Haley. But Elvis always wanted to change, go with what people liked.

The fact that he staged an incredible comeback in 1968 and the following years, had a number one hit again and several top ten singles, filled the largest stadiums in the country (Astrodome, Madison Square Garden, The Omni, and so on) was simply unbelievable. To become even bigger than he was in The Fifties after having done so many average (let's be kind) movies is a testament to his talent.

When Elvis stepped onto that stage on January 14, 1973 he showed the world why he was still called the king. He oozed coolness and beauty. Any fan who can't see that...tough sh*t. They are mostly the kinda fans who think Elvis betrayed them from 1960 onwards. They'd preferred he'd stuck to what he did, become another Bill Haley in other words, should have gone to Woodstock (even though Elvis couldn't stand hippies and everything they stood for), should have formed a quartet with Lewis, Cash, Perkins in the Seventies and called themselves the Travelling Willburies. They live in a dream world.
Elvis only used Rock and Roll because he knew it could make him big, his heart was in gospel and country, during the Aloha show he sang a lot of songs that he liked himself. What a downer that some fans can't stomach that.

They have a vision of Elvis that didn't exist, the eternal pure rocker from the Sun era. Elvis wanted to grow and do so much more, it's laughable how some react to that. It's like he let them down somehow.

What's more, I will never understand why fans respond to threads they loathe. Is that intentional to spoil it for the ones that do like the topic? I have no interest in anything from Sun whatsoever, if I never hear another song from it I wouldn't mind, so whenever I see a topic about anything like that I steer clear, I could add nothing positive about it. It would be nice if others showed that same respect with threads they so obviously hate. If you don't like jumpsuits and belts for instance don't come a knocking and calling them Santa belts. What's the point other than aggravate people?
But I know it's Utopia, the same people will never stop, they can't help themselves.

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:03 pm

Simon1 wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
Hans wrote:Reading your posts I get the idea you have a slight probplem shifting facts and opinions Mysterytrainrideson .......

I have no such problem, Hans. The problem is, is that other people can't except other peoples opinion(s). I said that i think the show is boring and Simon1 called me an ass for saying so. If people like the show that's fine by me. And i think the Aloha show was a big let down for a lot of fans, for the reasons i've already stated. If someone doesn't like someone else's opinion, fine. But coming on here name calling is not on.

All i was saying is the show could've been and should've been a whole lot better and more creative.


I shouldn't have called you an ass :) I got carried away, but I didn't say that because you felt the show was 'boring'. If you feel that way there's nothing I can do to change that nor am I inclined. But I did call you that because you said:

'The whole organisation was just sloppy, lazy and very unprofessional'

And that just isn't true in any way. It was the most expensive TV special ever produced, Elvis sang his heart out, the album of the show went to number one, Elvis looked spectacular. So the words sloppy, lazy and unprofessional can never be put in one sentence with The Aloha show.

So, the rushed, hardly complete performances of the songs, "Love me", "Johnny b goode", "Hound dog", "Blue suede shoes" and "Long tall sally/shakin'"are great performances? No, very sloppy, lazy and unprofessional!!!

The songs, "what now my love", "My way", "welcome to my world" and "i can't stop loving you" were made famous by other artists, not Elvis. So to include these songs in a set list made famous by other artists in an Elvis show televised worldwide is a rather strange move. Very sloppy, lazy and unprofessional.


You know what, I give up :) Go and ceremoniously burn all your Aloha stuff (if you have it) and find yourself another hobby.
Maybe Chuck Berry is it for you, he has never changed from his early years, always stuck to the same routine, always the same performances. And that is why he was performing in Las Vegas for 500 seaters and Elvis Presley still was a superstar in the Seventies :) Have a happy.


Kind of silly to say that isn't it? its 36 years later and Chuck is still playing. If Elvis were still alive, perhaps he would be playing to 500 seats also. One never knows.

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:06 pm

Simon1 wrote:Some people still don't get the concept of the Aloha show, Parker was sick and tired of people (fans, RCA, Elvis perhaps, media) trying to get Elvis to do a world tour. This TV show was to present the world the Elvis Presley show as was.
They could watch a live show from the comfort of their own chairs.

The idea that Elvis was to go on stage and suddenly sing songs he hadn't sung in over a decade is ludicrous. It was meant to show what he was like at the time. And Elvis didn't have Return To Sender, Don't, Such A Night and so on in his repertoire at that time. It's all very simple really.....

The idea backfired on Parker of course, after seeing Elvis on tv the demand for overseas performances only grew.
And what a great show it was, from the moment he stepped on that stage till he left....sheer perfection, nobody could touch him, he was unique and I still feel sorry for fans who can't see this, really I am.



And your point? Did he ever do Welcome To My World, or I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry before? These are song he hadnt sung either, so throwing in songs he DID sing in his career like RTS, Don't, etc would have been no problem. Im sure a talent like Elvis would have been able to do those (his!) songs with no problem.

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:50 pm

r&b wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
Hans wrote:Reading your posts I get the idea you have a slight probplem shifting facts and opinions Mysterytrainrideson .......

I have no such problem, Hans. The problem is, is that other people can't except other peoples opinion(s). I said that i think the show is boring and Simon1 called me an ass for saying so. If people like the show that's fine by me. And i think the Aloha show was a big let down for a lot of fans, for the reasons i've already stated. If someone doesn't like someone else's opinion, fine. But coming on here name calling is not on.

All i was saying is the show could've been and should've been a whole lot better and more creative.


I shouldn't have called you an ass :) I got carried away, but I didn't say that because you felt the show was 'boring'. If you feel that way there's nothing I can do to change that nor am I inclined. But I did call you that because you said:

'The whole organisation was just sloppy, lazy and very unprofessional'

And that just isn't true in any way. It was the most expensive TV special ever produced, Elvis sang his heart out, the album of the show went to number one, Elvis looked spectacular. So the words sloppy, lazy and unprofessional can never be put in one sentence with The Aloha show.

So, the rushed, hardly complete performances of the songs, "Love me", "Johnny b goode", "Hound dog", "Blue suede shoes" and "Long tall sally/shakin'"are great performances? No, very sloppy, lazy and unprofessional!!!

The songs, "what now my love", "My way", "welcome to my world" and "i can't stop loving you" were made famous by other artists, not Elvis. So to include these songs in a set list made famous by other artists in an Elvis show televised worldwide is a rather strange move. Very sloppy, lazy and unprofessional.


You know what, I give up :) Go and ceremoniously burn all your Aloha stuff (if you have it) and find yourself another hobby.
Maybe Chuck Berry is it for you, he has never changed from his early years, always stuck to the same routine, always the same performances. And that is why he was performing in Las Vegas for 500 seaters and Elvis Presley still was a superstar in the Seventies :) Have a happy.


Kind of silly to say that isn't it? its 36 years later and Chuck is still playing. If Elvis were still alive, perhaps he would be playing to 500 seats also. One never knows.


Actually one can actually know, just look at this message board, Elvis fans posting thousends of post daily and what about the Elvis The Concert thing? Yet you come with the notion that Elvis would be playing for only 500 ppl, while only the video taped, or filmed Elvis attracks tens of thousends into concert halls around the globe up until today? Pls explain you logoic, thank you.

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:33 pm

Hound Dog, Love Me, Blue Suede Shoes, Fever, Long Tall Sally/Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On, Welcome to my World, I'm so Lonesome I could Cry, It's Over, Suspicious Minds, Can't Help Falling in Love and Something from the Aloha show are far from "entertaining"