Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:16 am

image.jpg
Sorry if someone has already posted something similar already ...

I don't post on here that much n just pop in & out, but I know Joseph Pirzada has a kind of love or hate following on here, but this book is just nothing short of incredible!

fair to say its primarily a photo book but it is without doubt the ultimate final word & all u ever need to own book wise on this event

Tonnes o new pics to my eyes & the quality & layout is just stunning. Not sure how to describe it apart from maybe, its such a pretty book, which maybe comes from the actual setting & bright, clean & modern layout. The detail in some pics & full page photos kind of allows you to see Elvis in a completely new light during the press calls & the helicopter arrival-he just looks stunning throughout this book & I'm surprised to say that each page looks fresh & different without the feel of repetition
This is NOT a book of screen grabs! Superb quality throughout - love him or hate him Boxcar's delivered the ultimate labour of love for Elvis: Aloha From Hawaii!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by elvis56 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Boxcar's Aloha Book - Simply Incredible

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:56 am

good to hear! 8)

Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:55 am

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:59 am

Very nice! :)

Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:31 pm

Great book documenting Elvis' most famous concerts. Beautiful packaging and quality all the way through. Very pleased with the purchase.

Brian :D

Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:19 pm

Someone please send me a free copy.

PM me and I'll give you my mailing address.

Thanks in advance.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:01 pm

I'm waiting with great anticipation....... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:39 pm

Just had my copy delivered from the great elvis shop London , Chris as ever did a magnificent job again the book was superbly packaged.my first thoughts on the book are WOW the photos are incredible so sharp.many I have never seen before
I look forward to reading and looking through it in the next few days its as good as the Graceland book,that boxcar also brought out a well deserved pay on the back another superb book. all in all 440 pages stuffed full of photos text many documents and correspondence,shown for the first time and rough sketches of the stage set up and elvis jumpsuits.i could go on but I'm dying to carry on reading this monster of a book.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:02 pm

i find it to expensive to buy

Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:30 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:i find it to expensive to buy

Me too, although I'm a big fan of both Aloha shows. The book looks to be excellent quality though.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:17 pm

Looks fantastic actually. Who wrote the text? Is it Mike Eder? It's too bad I am boycotting all Pirzada products on acount of his bad behaviour towards Ernst, but if I'd ever forgive the fellow and move on, I guess now would be a good time. But... no. I ain't done boycottin' just yet. Sorry! :D

Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:55 am

Looks amazing ! Anymore photo examples?

Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:09 am

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Looks fantastic actually. Who wrote the text? Is it Mike Eder? It's too bad I am boycotting all Pirzada products on acount of his bad behaviour towards Ernst, but if I'd ever forgive the fellow and move on, I guess now would be a good time. But... no. I ain't done boycottin' just yet. Sorry! :D

See Nigel's review on EIN, and as stated in the publicity Steve Barile wrote the text.
Look here>>>
http://www.elvisinfonet.com/bookreview_ ... _2013.html

Undoubtedly fans will be blown away by the multitude of visually striking riches on display in Elvis Aloha via satellite. However, the narrative contribution by Steve Barile should not be overlooked. It is well constructed, focused and insightful, offering a fresh and vibrant account of Elvis and the making of Aloha.

I'm glad everyone thinks it is as good as we hoped.
Unlike the Legacy release of Aloha, the pictures seem to have the correct dates at least :facep:

Cheers
Piers

Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:03 am

Just had a fellow come into my dental office and tell me that he couldn't afford to pay for his filling because he spent all his money on the latest Aloha book. I didn't know whether to clap for him or chastise him!
Lucio

Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:01 am

Was there many photos from the sound check ?

Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:22 am

Only one of Elvis, it`s the one we have seen before, but this time we see the full complete picture :smt006

Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:48 am

Rob wrote:Someone please send me a free copy.

Thanks in advance.

+1

Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:01 am

PiersEIN wrote:
Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Looks fantastic actually. Who wrote the text? Is it Mike Eder? It's too bad I am boycotting all Pirzada products on acount of his bad behaviour towards Ernst, but if I'd ever forgive the fellow and move on, I guess now would be a good time. But... no. I ain't done boycottin' just yet. Sorry! :D

See Nigel's review on EIN, and as stated in the publicity Steve Barile wrote the text.
Look here>>>
http://www.elvisinfonet.com/bookreview_ ... _2013.html

Thanks Piers, I had forgotten that. I don't think I've read anything by Barile but I trust Nigel is correct. Photo books are worthless to me if they feature poor design or sloppy text - I simply can't accept it! And there are so many Elvis books that only the perfekt ones end up in my collection. But this does look very nice, like I said...

Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:09 am

lucio wrote:Just had a fellow come into my dental office and tell me that he couldn't afford to pay for his filling because he spent all his money on the latest Aloha book. I didn't know whether to clap for him or chastise him!
Lucio

that is so funny.......talk about priorities :smt003 :smt003

Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:36 am

Are there any photos of Elvis getting off the helicopter when he arrived?

Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:08 pm

What about technical notes or new information? :?

Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:35 pm

it looks verry nice and it,s surtely interesting
but it,s expensive so i don,t know if i,ll buy it
just bought elvis files part 1
so i think about it
jan

Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:00 pm

Rob wrote:Someone please send me a free copy.

Thanks in advance.

Just squander some money for once!! :smt003

Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:06 pm

stan from tintane wrote:A lot of folks find all the books expensive to buy (FTD, Elvis Files included), but if you can afford it I would go as far saying this really is the ultimate Aloha book... And I doubt anyone will surpass it.

It will be re-packaged in 5 years time with a DVD featuring the complete November '72 press conference plus a CD featuring 14 seconds extra crowd applause and Elvis couging backstage! :wink:

Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:12 pm

I received the book on Tuesday, had a quick look through it and found myself rather disappointed.

So I sat down last night, went through it again and read all of the commentary. It took me an hour, only, to go through the book in this way.

I'm sorry to say that for me, and disappointingly so, this is nowhere near being the ultimate Aloha book. It in no way is a one-stop book to tell you everything you want to know about the whole Aloha phenomenon and I find it to be rather one-dimensional. It's mainly a photo book, the vast majority of which are reproduced full-page. The quality of photos is generally good, but not universally so. To say that many shots are similar would be an understatement and I reckon at least 50 could have been dispensed with.

The commentary by Steve Barile is pleasant enough and many of his personal likes and dislikes coincide with mine ; but it's not exactly riveting. We get lots of 'behind-the-scenes" paperwork in terms of prospective song lists, memos, itineraries/schedules and these are interesting of course. But we don't really get a lot of perspective on the show itself in terms of its whole impact on the people involved or the fan reaction.

As far as I can see there are no recollections of the people really involved (musicians etc) such as there are in Ken Sharp's Vegas '69 book, and hardly anything in the way of contemporary reviews or worldwide reaction. I know we have these in other books but it would have been so much better to have such aspects all together in this one lavish book. There's very little, too, in the way of illustrations of contemporary or subsequent memorabilia. And I don't think that a final list of songs in an easily readable list is shown for either show. I may be wrong and yes, I know, we all have that information a dozen times over but you would think it would be there. There are 10 chapters, but they run into each other and I would have preferred a more distinct separation and with a short intro to each.

It is not my intention to deliberately put a downer on the book but I know what my gut feel is. And I can't help comparing it with Elvis Files Vol 1 (1953-1956) which is astounding.

The cover, especially the front-cover photo, is gorgeous and a first class choice in my eyes. There don't appear to be any pictures of Elvis getting out of the helicopter (as someone has queried) which I found surprising unless it was a policy decision to avoid video stills. The November press conference pictures are not of very good quality but that's not the fault of the producers of the book. If they don't exist, they don't exist.

There is a funny in the (facsimile) reproduction of the words to Paradise Hawaiian Style, on some production sheets. Those particular words used to baffle me too, but, "The land loving town it dreams", and, "Where always the spell it seems" - ? I think not !

I guess I'll be shouted down, but these are my feelings. For those who are 100% delighted, or even overwhelmed, then that's fine. It wouldn't do for us all to be like-minded.