Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

colonel and Rotterdam

Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:02 pm

There's not so much know about the time Colonel Parker [Andreas Cornelis van Kuijk] lived in the Netherlands. He lived most of the time in Breda but around 1925 after his father died he got a job on a line-ship between Breda and Rotterdam. He moved to his aunt [dont know if this is real familie] and in 1927 he traveld to the USA for the first time. This trip didn,t work and in 1929 he did a second trip and never returned to the Netherlands again.

I live very near Rotterdam in the netherlands and thought it was funny to find out the places were the colonel has worked and slept etc... I know he worked at the spido and had a smal room but where...? Is there someone on this forum who can help me out with this questions... If I have some adresses I go and surch for this locations...

Thank you very much

Re: colonel and Rotterdam

Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:14 pm

Always good to see a topic on The Colonel. I love him very, very much. The Colonel is one of the most fascinating figures to ever enter the music business. He is larger than life and probably the most famous manager of all times. God bless his soul.

:smt060

Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:26 pm

Thank you, for your reply.
The colonel is indeed a very interesting personen and I know Elvis fans have many different opinions about the colonel and the way he worked. Last week I bought a signd letter from the colonel I'm very proud of... I hope there will be more known from the misterious sides of the most famous entertainment manager the world has ever known.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:42 pm

Have you read Alanna Nash's book about The Colonel? It is very good. I read it many years ago on the beach in Cyprus. In the evenings, at dinner, I told stories from the book to my girlfriend. It was very appreciated because that book is full of great stories. You heard the one about Colonel Parker's dancing chickens? Priceless!

Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:55 pm

Another story I remember made us laugh occured during that same time. Colonel Parker was arranging a carnival somewhere in the USA. Of course, Parker was a very nice, caring person, so he made sure it was free for everyone to enter the area... but when they were about to leave, they discovered that it cost them a dollar to get OUT of the damn place! How ABOUT that! :smt005

Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:49 pm

I knew about the chickens and the hot plate :D
The story about the exit price is new for me... almost the same a price of 1 dollar and when you dont like the show you get 50 % back. Knowing the price was originaly 0.50 cents... he always got what he wants if its about money... :lol:

Or selling grave flowers in tampa for dog graves. Reseving money from the owners and putting free flowers on the graves, telling people they should have been there yesterday... the flowers were looking great... :roll:

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:57 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Always good to see a topic on The Colonel. I love him very, very much. The Colonel is one of the most fascinating figures to ever enter the music business. He is larger than life and probably the most famous manager of all times. God bless his soul.

:smt060

What?!?!?!?! U must be talking about the KFC colonel :shock: :shock:

Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:42 pm

I'm afraid that WO-II caused some serious damages in and around Rotterdam. If the Col. left the Netherlands in 1929 it's possible that some of the spots are gone for goode. Why not try visiting Burger Zaken or start an investigation in the known area. Unfortunately most of the people who could confirm anything are probably dead.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:46 pm

The Colonel was so nice to Elvis especially in September 1973 when he claimed Elvis was in debt to him with 2 million dollars when Elvis fired him. The "Manager's Manager" like Jerry Hopkins defined him. Only one think to add: the good ol' Colonel cheated Elvis so many times (in the 70's at full scale), but besides that, he was a good promoter, including the marveluous album called "Having Fun with Elvis on Stage".

Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:12 pm

philobeddo wrote:I'm afraid that WO-II caused some serious damages in and around Rotterdam. If the Col. left the Netherlands in 1929 it's possible that some of the spots are gone for goode. Why not try visiting Burger Zaken or start an investigation in the known area. Unfortunately most of the people who could confirm anything are probably dead.

Thank you for the tip philobeddo... but i dont know if his job was legal and if he was registrated in the city of rotterdam. Maby he did not lived in the city but just outside of it... a lot of questions....

Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:35 pm

I lived in Breda for a while and know the family and the spots over here, but i think there is not much known about the Rotterdam period.
I hope you can find something.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:42 pm

Hi Erik,

Maybe this is of interest to you.
I went to this exhibition in 2009.

http://www.elvisnews.com/fanworld.aspx/events/parker-and-elvis-weekend/330

Maybe the person who organized this can help you with more info on the Colonels's early years in Holland.

There's also a dutch docmentary about him with interviews with relatives who suddenly after many ears recognized their uncle Dries in an article about Elvis in a dutch paper in the early sixties. The book is called: "Elvis & de Colonel" by Dirk Vellenga

Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:14 pm

In the book "The Travel Log - op zoek naar Colonel Parker" is stated that he lived a while with his uncle Jan Ponsie in the Spanjaardsstraat Rotterdam.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:51 pm

I have read the book by dirk vellenga and have seen more then one documentary. To bad i was on holiday during the 100 years event in breda by elvismatters.

stranger wrote:In the book "The Travel Log - op zoek naar Colonel Parker" is stated that he lived a while with his uncle Jan Ponsie in the Spanjaardsstraat Rotterdam.

Thank you stranger for this info... this is exact where i was looking for.... hope there is more...!?

Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:54 pm

this is a vieuw of the spanjaardstraat seen from the eerste schansstraat around the time parker lived there...

and today...

and an other vieuw from spanjaardstraat to an other street...

same vieuw but made today...

Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:13 pm

Last 2 photo's looks into the Rosier Faassenstraat standing in the Spanjaardstraat.
At the end of the first block of houses on the left is Boekhandel Delfshaven. They used to be located on the other side of the street (before the building was demolished) and had the best used LP collection in Rotterdam.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:14 pm

Up to the sixties there was a weekly market in the Spanjaardstraat. But then they installed tramrail and the market moved to the Grote Visserijplein nearby.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:19 pm

Parker worked on a freighship that sailed between Breda and Rotterdam in 1926 and 1927.
In 1927 he was 18 years old and emigrated to the USA where he lived for a year until he was taken back by military police.
In 1928 he worked in the Rotterdam harbour. It is not known what job(s) he had.
In 1927 he was 20 years old and emigrated to the USA again, this time to stay.
It would be nice if more would be known about his time in Rotterdam. Perhaps there if offspring of Parker's uncle Jan Ponsie who can tell more? Did that fantastic reporter/writer what's her name investigate this? It's not in her book.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:21 pm

I look at him in this way. At first the colonel was good for Elvis but latter the colonel saw Elvis as a cash cow.
He had Elvis doing quick movies for the money. When good movie offers did come the colonel ask to much money or wanted this or that and he knew they people would say no.

When Elvis started touring again and Elvis had offers to play over seas again the colonel wanted so much money for himself that there would no way for Elvis to play over seas.

Now why did the colonel do such things??

Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:20 pm

Everybody around Elvis saw him as a cashcow and ticket to easy living and girls, girls, girls.
But this topic is about where and how Parker lived in Rotterdam.
If you want to spout an opinion, open a new topic. You'd be the 831.973th person to do so.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:01 pm

http://rareelvispresley.xooit.com/t39-C ... Parker.htm

Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:47 pm

This is the only interview i saw from him, is there any other?

http://youtu.be/Djd2bmm6nWE

::rocks

Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:57 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:Everybody around Elvis saw him as a cashcow and ticket to easy living and girls, girls, girls.
If you want to spout an opinion, open a new topic. You'd be the 831.973th person to do so.

Thank you zolderopruiming, its indeed about parker in rotterdam and not about the time after leaving the netherlands.

An other story is about a murder of a woman and using this as reason to leave his homeland. Is there a name or information about about this murder... and why did they connect this to parker?

Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:17 pm

[youtube]http://m.youtube.com/index?hl=nl&gl=NL&desktop_uri=%2F%3Fhl%3Dnl%26gl%3DNL[/youtube]

Here is an other interesting interview.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:22 pm

Erik van den Berg wrote:
zolderopruiming1 wrote:Everybody around Elvis saw him as a cashcow and ticket to easy living and girls, girls, girls.

Thank you zolderopruiming, its indeed about parker in rotterdam and not about the time after leaving the netherlands.

An other story is about a murder of a woman and using this as reason to leave his homeland. Is there a name or information about about this murder... and why did they connect this to parker?

Parker, or as he was know then, Dries van Kuijk, was not even considered by police. Someone anonymous wrote to Alana Nash and she mentioned it in her book.
The only reason was that Dries left Breda shortly after the murder.
It should not have been in the book without further investigation.
Social circumstances were the reason for Dries' (and many others all over Europe and Russia) move to the USA.
Therefore it would be interesting to know what kind of work he did while in Rotterdam, at which employer, who his collegues were, et cetera.
Family of him were found in 1961 and later and we have a book about Dries' brother Ad visiting him in 1961.
It would be interesting to learn if there are children or grandchildren of Jan Ponsie and if they can tell more about 1928 Dries in Rotterdam.