Paul McCartney at Graceland

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Juan Luis

Re: Paul McCartney at Graceland

Post by Juan Luis »

Last edited by Juan Luis on Thu May 30, 2013 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

InheritTheWind

Post by InheritTheWind »

intheghetto wrote:I guess I was stepping off the McCartney train once 'No More Lonely NIghts' came around.
There are actually several gems on Flaming Pie (1997), Chaos and Creation in the Backyard (2005), Memory Almost Full (2007) and Electric Arguments (2008).

Julian Grant
Registered for: 13 years 2 months

Post by Julian Grant »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
DEH wrote:I would not call Paul Mccartney humble. He will be the first to toot his own horn. Humble people do not do that. it sucks that celebs get to do things at Graceland that paying fans don't, like see the vault and actually touch the grass near his grave.
You know nothing about McCartney, except that you dislike him, and all the wonderful, world-changing music he's made since 1962.

Your loss.

It's beyond cool that Paul remembers and pays tribute to one of his idols, more than 50 years since he first heard "Heartbreak Hotel."
I liked the guitar pick thing, ok so he's put his foot over the small fence in order to do it. I'm completely against him touching that guitar and getting access to the 'vault' though. Notwithstanding he's made some of the best music ever while a member of The Beatles, for me, he's always come over as a complete twat although I appreciate that some (especially from the other side of the pond) may see him as the perfect English gentleman. At least he's not as arrogant as Ringo.

HoneyTalkNelson

Post by HoneyTalkNelson »

Having seen four of them in concert, I thought Elvis was the best performer.

Elvis - MSG - 1972
Paul - MSG - 1976
George - MSG - 1974
Ringo -Beacon - 1999

javilu
Registered for: 21 years

Post by javilu »

midnightx wrote:
javilu wrote: "Silly Love Songs" is a catchy, great single with -as has been mentioneds before- a terrific bass line and great harmonies.
That atrocious horn arrangement overshadows any redeeming qualities.
The horn arrangement is very much of its time and you may have a case in that it didn't age that well, but it is still a terrific track and a deservedly great hit.

"Silly Love Songs" is a song written by Paul and Linda McCartney and performed by Wings. The song appears on the 1976 album Wings at the Speed of Sound. It was also released as a single in 1976.

The US single was released on 1 April 1976 and reached number 1 on the Billboard Hot 100.

The UK single was released on 30 April 1976 and reached number 2 on the UK Singles Chart.

The single was certified Gold by the Recording Industry Association of America for sales of over one million copies.

“Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.”

InheritTheWind

Post by InheritTheWind »

javilu wrote:
midnightx wrote: That atrocious horn arrangement overshadows any redeeming qualities.
The horn arrangement is very much of its time and you may have a case in that it didn't age that well...
No way! The horn arrangement is awesome! (And the bass playing is pretty incredible, too.)

Gary1
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by Gary1 »

The only one of The Beatles with any talent was gunned down in 1980.McCartney sang at Queen Elizabeth's jubilee and to say he couldn't carry a tune in a bucket is an understatement .

javilu

Post by javilu »

InheritTheWind wrote:
javilu wrote:
midnightx wrote: That atrocious horn arrangement overshadows any redeeming qualities.
The horn arrangement is very much of its time and you may have a case in that it didn't age that well...
No way! The horn arrangement is awesome! (And the bass playing is pretty incredible, too.)

I rest my case.
Great tune and probably great to hear live.
At the Belo Horizonte concert this year the audience would sing "We Love You" to the tune of the chorus of SLS that goes "I Love You"

“Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.”

javilu

Post by javilu »

stan from tintane wrote:I'd rather you rest your case than your ass on a grave, you disgust me !
Should I assume you're not taking me to Brian Epstein's grave next Feb?
Some interesting pics could be made there!

r&b

Post by r&b »

midnightx wrote:
r&b wrote:He always sang better than Paul, yes, but who cares about My Way, Olivia songs and all that other MOR crap he chose to sing after 1970.
To be fair, it isn't as if Paul had a perfect track record with material post-1970 either. "Silly Love Songs" is pretty cringe-worthy.
I am not a fan of Silly Love Songs or most Wings work. I am a Lennon fan over McCartney. All I said was at 68 or whatever he was at the time, Paul gave a better show than Elvis did at 38 in Aloha. A 2 hour musical tour de force in which he played several instruments , gave full versions of his classics and played songs throughout his career, which is what the crowd expected. I saw Elvis at MSG with 10 friends and when he went into things like The Impossible Dream I could see my friends being upset at some of these song choices. To me, being at Elvis concert was seemed to be more about the event than the musical content for a lot of the audience especially the ladies. I cant see how anyone could feel totally satisfied when a performer rushes through his most famous songs. Sorry, its the way I feel, and I'm not allowed to say this on an Elvis forum. OK, now I know the rules.

chris j
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by chris j »

I think Paul McC's semi-humorous pose at Elvis's gravesite, and the failure to mention Elvis in Paul's Memphis concert says it all. As DEH pointed out near the start of this thread, Paul McC is not a humble man. It's all about Paul and his publicity, unfortunately.

DEH
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by DEH »

chris j wrote:I think Paul McC's semi-humorous pose at Elvis's gravesite, and the failure to mention Elvis in Paul's Memphis concert says it all. As DEH pointed out near the start of this thread, Paul McC is not a humble man. It's all about Paul and his publicity, unfortunately.
Paul Mccartney is one of the most self serving people i have seen. How anyone can think this man is humble is hilarious. Not saying he is a bad person. But Humble and his name do not go together. There is a part of his show where he talks about Jimi Hendrix. he disguises the whole thing as a tribute to Jimi but its really a tribute to himself. that's just another example.

javilu

Post by javilu »

stan from tintane wrote:You would be lucky to even get in !
Both you and McCartney should be flogged for abusing the dead !
But McCartney gets a pass for being rich and famous, you heard Matt!

Jaime1234
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Post by Jaime1234 »

What is it that a poster here doen't understand about Elvis pushing the music and social envelop harder, in the 50's, than anyone ever did, singlehandely, in any other decade since. And he did that, in four years, not in ten. Actually from January 1956, until the summer of 1958, when he went to Fort Hood, TX, that's less than three years. Moreover, name me another single person whose musical contribution in a particular decade not just set the standards for that particular decade, hell, even SONY, RCA Mexico and TAMLA took notice in as distant cities as Tokyo, Mexico City and Detroit, and took appropriate action, but whose musical influence was so apparent in look, apparel, day to day life ( with everything that the latter includes), as well as in sexual mores and race relations that anything Presley did, from January 1956, when he was first put on the spotlight, nationally, till his move to Germany was NOT limited to being reported in the entertainment pages, but to local, regional and national news, some of which front page, in the form of a thousands of references which can be still found in the reader's periodicals mof the day, starting with students expelled for attending his concerts, judges rendering him motionless, or else, X rays of his records being smuggled into the Soviet Union, television ratings that went beyond the roof ( in the age when television took over) and all leading to nothing less than the most celebrated Army recruitment in US history. The latter, in itself, and done at the zenith of his popularity, is what separates Elvis from any other performer in the decades that followed. Now, it's true that Pop, Jazz, Classical and even country music were affected, negatively in their case, fuelling disdain, even hate (ask those that "suffered", like Rosemary Clooney or Tony Bennet) for the rock style he helped establish, some of which felt even today. From assertively fusing the two most important music styles in the US, CW and RB, into a third, rockabilly, something he did BEFORE he bacame known, nationally, to a simple hairstyle, by way of a stage act totally ahead of its time, to being held responsible (he, not others, with the pressure that that entails, especially if you know you're not the only one responsible), for starting a musical and social revolution, no single person in the popular music field, not just in that decade, but in any other decade since, pushed the envelop harder than did Elvis in the 1950's. Whatever he did afterwards, like creating a true market for Rock in both Hollywood and Broadway musicals, or changing the course of a city like Las Vegas, or as we witness today, making tourism an important part of a city like Memphis, and its surroundings, including Tupelo, chosen by the best friends of ultra Elvis fan Junishiro Koizumi as the site for their latest car manufacturing plant, is peanuts compared to what Presley achieved, for youth, and life in general, in the 1950's. And he didn't even try to do it....

brian
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by brian »

Why am i not surprised that this turned into a discussion about Paul McCartney versus Elvis.

If you think McCartney was a better performer than Elvis and more talented that's fine.

These things are subjective anyway.

javilu

Post by javilu »

chris j wrote:I think Paul McC's semi-humorous pose at Elvis's gravesite, and the failure to mention Elvis in Paul's Memphis concert says it all. As DEH pointed out near the start of this thread, Paul McC is not a humble man. It's all about Paul and his publicity, unfortunately.
Yes, you are right. If Paul doesn't get that publicity he wants, the concert venues would be empty :facep:

Why the hell does he have to mention Elvis on his concert? He doesn't even introduce his band members by name!

javilu

Post by javilu »

stan from tintane wrote:
brian wrote:Why am i not surprised that this turned into a discussion about Paul McCartney versus Elvis.

If you think McCartney was a better performer than Elvis and more talented that's fine.

These things are subjective anyway.
BINGO !

And Javilu... do you know this lady ?
1992.jpg
She was there long before you and McCartney doing it.. and I KNOW she didn't get reported.
You are not so original now are you ?!?!?!?!?!
:facep: :D :D :smt003 ::rocks
Is she sitting down on Vernon's grave? Marty Lacker will kill her!

javilu

Post by javilu »

stan from tintane wrote:I think you and her would make a nice couple ? :lol:
It will be GREAT to see you AGAIN in February, and yes, I'll take you to some graves :wink: :smt006
I'll bring my shovel!

r&b

Post by r&b »

Since the performance aspect of this may never be resolved, maybe this should turn into a discussion as to who was the more vain person, Paul or Elvis? I think it is a tie.

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

r&b wrote:Since the performance aspect of this may never be resolved, maybe this should turn into a discussion as to who was the more vain person, Paul or Elvis? I think it is a tie.
This thread was supposed to be about Paul McCartney going to Graceland and paying his respects to his idol, not a competition of who you think was better. You managed to derail what was a nice occasion for EP fans.

rizzy56
Registered for: 13 years 5 months

Post by rizzy56 »

Jaime1234 wrote:What is it that a poster here doen't understand about Elvis pushing the music and social envelop harder, in the 50's, than anyone ever did, singlehandely, in any other decade since. And he did that, in four years, not in ten. Actually from January 1956, until the summer of 1958, when he went to Fort Hood, TX, that's less than three years. Moreover, name me another single person whose musical contribution in a particular decade not just set the standards for that particular decade, hell, even SONY, RCA Mexico and TAMLA took notice in as distant cities as Tokyo, Mexico City and Detroit, and took appropriate action, but whose musical influence was so apparent in look, apparel, day to day life ( with everything that the latter includes), as well as in sexual mores and race relations that anything Presley did, from January 1956, when he was first put on the spotlight, nationally, till his move to Germany was NOT limited to being reported in the entertainment pages, but to local, regional and national news, some of which front page, in the form of a thousands of references which can be still found in the reader's periodicals mof the day, starting with students expelled for attending his concerts, judges rendering him motionless, or else, X rays of his records being smuggled into the Soviet Union, television ratings that went beyond the roof ( in the age when television took over) and all leading to nothing less than the most celebrated Army recruitment in US history. The latter, in itself, and done at the zenith of his popularity, is what separates Elvis from any other performer in the decades that followed. Now, it's true that Pop, Jazz, Classical and even country music were affected, negatively in their case, fuelling disdain, even hate (ask those that "suffered", like Rosemary Clooney or Tony Bennet) for the rock style he helped establish, some of which felt even today. From assertively fusing the two most important music styles in the US, CW and RB, into a third, rockabilly, something he did BEFORE he bacame known, nationally, to a simple hairstyle, by way of a stage act totally ahead of its time, to being held responsible (he, not others, with the pressure that that entails, especially if you know you're not the only one responsible), for starting a musical and social revolution, no single person in the popular music field, not just in that decade, but in any other decade since, pushed the envelop harder than did Elvis in the 1950's. Whatever he did afterwards, like creating a true market for Rock in both Hollywood and Broadway musicals, or changing the course of a city like Las Vegas, or as we witness today, making tourism an important part of a city like Memphis, and its surroundings, including Tupelo, chosen by the best friends of ultra Elvis fan Junishiro Koizumi as the site for their latest car manufacturing plant, is peanuts compared to what Presley achieved, for youth, and life in general, in the 1950's. And he didn't even try to do it....
What a post well said Jaime.

rizzy56
Registered for: 13 years 5 months

Post by rizzy56 »

KHoots wrote:Really cool pic of Macca at Graceland. But stepping over the fence??? Some here will not like that.
Paul.jpg
I rather like the photo of Macca with one foot in the grave, fingers crossed that he gets the other foot into the grave.

Albert Goldman
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by Albert Goldman »

DEH wrote:
Paul Mccartney is one of the most self serving people i have seen. How anyone can think this man is humble is hilarious. Not saying he is a bad person. But Humble and his name do not go together. There is a part of his show where he talks about Jimi Hendrix. he disguises the whole thing as a tribute to Jimi but its really a tribute to himself. that's just another example.
Paul McCartney isn't humble, I agree. I am his fan, but that's the way it is. He may be a genious but he ain't humble - and he doesn't have to be. I have only seen him two times, but I do know the Hendrix tribute that you are talking about. It ain't about Hendrix.

However, I think that visiting Elvis' grave and bringing him the guitar pick was a nice and sensitive gesture.

r&b

Post by r&b »

Joe Car wrote:
r&b wrote:Since the performance aspect of this may never be resolved, maybe this should turn into a discussion as to who was the more vain person, Paul or Elvis? I think it is a tie.
This thread was supposed to be about Paul McCartney going to Graceland and paying his respects to his idol, not a competition of who you think was better. You managed to derail what was a nice occasion for EP fans.
I suggest you go back and read from page one. Wasn't me who was first to start about the differences about their concert appearances. I just added my opinion to it.

r&b

Post by r&b »

rizzy56 wrote:
KHoots wrote:Really cool pic of Macca at Graceland. But stepping over the fence??? Some here will not like that.
Paul.jpg
I rather like the photo of Macca with one foot in the grave, fingers crossed that he gets the other foot into the grave.
And a mature statement like this gets no rebuttal but I do? Amazing!