Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis and Tom Jones

Sun May 26, 2013 1:43 pm

I'm fascinated by the Elvis Tom Jones story...they were good friends and recorded many of the same songs through the late 1960s and 70s...
Just found out Tom recorded 'Polk Salad Annie' too - but one of my favourites is 'Leaving It Up To You' on which he duetts with the legendary country singer Tanya Tucker ( YOUTUBE) - that came to my attention through the Elvis version on FROM HAWAII to VEGAS FTD...

Love the references to Tom by Elvis in various concerts by Elvis and it will be great to have another one in the fabulous new 1969 FTD release.

How many of Tom's songs did Elvis cover and vice versa?

Re: Elvis and Tom Jones

Sun May 26, 2013 4:05 pm

Tom would probably say Elvis covered hundreds of his song...he's full of ****.

Sun May 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Tom does a superb version of Without Love, recorded in 1969, if you want to hear a great song banged out to a huge standard by both singers then check this one out - Tom is on record as saying this was one of the hardest songs he ever had to sing but what a performance. Here's a list of mostly studio tracks that Tom sang which were also done by Elvis. There'll be a lot more from live performances and on the various TV shows Tom did over the years (there's also an Elvis medley on YouTube somewhere from 1978) that's a day's work right there... Hope this helps.

Without Love
American Trilogy (live)
Memphis Tennessee
One Night
Green Green Grass (obviously...)
I'll never fall in love again.
He'll have to go (great version)
I can't stop loving you (another tremendous performance)
I believe (live)
Bridge over troubled water (live)
My Way
A thing called love
I can help
Let it be me
You've lost that loving feeling
The Impossible Dream
Pledging my love
Danny Boy (absolutely incredible version, has to be heard)
Hey Jude
Proud Mary
Motherless Child (not strictly Elvis but from the Comeback show so I included it as it's interesting and Elvis related)

Sun May 26, 2013 7:23 pm

a mess of polk salad wrote:How many of Tom's songs did Elvis cover and vice versa?

Jones recorded a great number of covers by many other acts but, of his "signature" tunes, Presley did cut "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" in 1976.

Sun May 26, 2013 8:15 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
a mess of polk salad wrote:How many of Tom's songs did Elvis cover and vice versa?

Jones recorded a great number of covers by many other acts but, of his "signature" tunes, Presley did cut "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" in 1976.

Thanks doc. I like Elvis' version of the song but Tom Jones is the best one.

Sun May 26, 2013 8:16 pm

a mess of polk salad wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Elvis should never have covered that one, or at least not in 1976.

Sun May 26, 2013 8:19 pm

elmonstro wrote:Tom does a superb version of Without Love, recorded in 1969, if you want to hear a great song banged out to a huge standard by both singers then check this one out - Tom is on record as saying this was one of the hardest songs he ever had to sing but what a performance. Here's a list of mostly studio tracks that Tom sang which were also done by Elvis. There'll be a lot more from live performances and on the various TV shows Tom did over the years (there's also an Elvis medley on YouTube somewhere from 1978) that's a day's work right there... Hope this helps.

Without Love
American Trilogy (live)
Memphis Tennessee
One Night
I believe (live)
My Way
A thing called love
I can help
Let it be me
The Impossible Dream
Pledging my love
Hey Jude
Proud Mary
Motherless Child (not strictly Elvis but from the Comeback show so I included it as it's interesting and Elvis related)

Thanks for that the list is fascinating. It's amazing how many songs they both covered - they were both sides of the same coin in a lot of ways...
Watched the Tom Elvis medley a few days ago interestingly... Very good!
Last edited by a mess of polk salad on Sun May 26, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 26, 2013 8:22 pm

elmonstro wrote:Tom does a superb version of Without Love, recorded in 1969, if you want to hear a great song banged out to a huge standard by both singers then check this one out - Tom is on record as saying this was one of the hardest songs he ever had to sing but what a performance. Here's a list of mostly studio tracks that Tom sang which were also done by Elvis. There'll be a lot more from live performances and on the various TV shows Tom did over the years (there's also an Elvis medley on YouTube somewhere from 1978) that's a day's work right there... Hope this helps.

Without Love
American Trilogy (live)
Memphis Tennessee
One Night
I believe (live)
My Way
A thing called love
I can help
Let it be me
The Impossible Dream
Pledging my love
Hey Jude
Proud Mary

Thanks for that the list is fascinating. It's amazing how many songs they both covered - they were both sides of the same coin in a lot a ways...

Forgot about "Green, Green Grass of Home."

Although cut by many, it is considered a Tom Jones "signature" song, and Presley recorded it in March 1975.

Sun May 26, 2013 8:32 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Because you say so?

Sun May 26, 2013 8:33 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Without Love
American Trilogy (live)
Memphis Tennessee
One Night
I believe (live)
My Way
A thing called love
I can help
Let it be me
The Impossible Dream
Pledging my love
Hey Jude
Proud Mary

Thanks for that the list is fascinating. It's amazing how many songs they both covered - they were both sides of the same coin in a lot a ways...

Although cut by many, it is considered a Tom Jones "signature" song, and Presley recorded it in March 1975.

Again I like Elvis' version but yes the Tom version is the definitive - an absolute classic.

Sun May 26, 2013 8:34 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Without Love
American Trilogy (live)
Memphis Tennessee
One Night
I believe (live)
My Way
A thing called love
I can help
Let it be me
The Impossible Dream
Pledging my love
Hey Jude
Proud Mary

Again I like Elvis' version but yes the Tom version is the definitive - an absolute classic.

I agree. Recall Red West telling Elvis back in 1966 to record it? That might have been a better time.

Sun May 26, 2013 8:40 pm

Without Love
American Trilogy (live)
Memphis Tennessee
One Night
I believe (live)
My Way
A thing called love
I can help
Let it be me
The Impossible Dream
Pledging my love
Hey Jude
Proud Mary

Out of all of those songs, only a few were actual Presley records. The other were covers of other artists.

Sun May 26, 2013 8:43 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Without Love
American Trilogy (live)
Memphis Tennessee
One Night
I believe (live)
My Way
A thing called love
I can help
Let it be me
The Impossible Dream
Pledging my love
Hey Jude
Proud Mary

I agree. Recall Red West telling Elvis back in 1966 to record it? That might have been a better time.

Yes I recall the story vaguely...didn't Elvis hear Tom's version on the radio and stopped in his car to listen...

Sun May 26, 2013 8:43 pm

nevermind wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Because you say so?

Why's that? His vocal on I'll Never Fall In Love Again was brilliant and is flawless to these ears. Listen to the outtake where his voice is more up front. He hits the high notes and holds them like no other male singer could do. His voice is so clear and pure and powerful. But I'm sure some will say he was flat and horse. :roll:

Sun May 26, 2013 9:05 pm

While we are on this topic, does anyone know the BMG/FTD release where Elvis announces himself to the crowd as "Good Evening, ladies and gentlemen, my name is Tom Jones." Perhaps, it is derived from the Having fun with Elvis on stage LP. Anybody know? It is definitely not the August 30, 1974 show.

Sun May 26, 2013 9:46 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:I agree. Recall Red West telling Elvis back in 1966 to record it? That might have been a better time.

Yes I recall the story vaguely...didn't Elvis hear Tom's version on the radio and stopped in his car to listen...

On a return trip from spending Thanksgiving 1966 at Tom Parker's house (!) he heard DJ George Klein playing "Green, Green Grass of Home" on the radio and, through a series of stops and phone calls made to Klein, got it spun several more times. Klein was the mid- and late-evening jock at WHBQ, and the #1 DJ in Memphis at the time, but could have lost his job had he not told listeners it was being requested by Elvis on the road.

Billboard Apr 16 1966 p26.JPG
Billboard - April 16, 1966

Obviously, Gladys was on Elvis' mind during this family holiday, and Jones' heartfelt rendition struck him to the core. Ironically, when Red West had played him Jerry Lee Lewis' marvelous cover version the year before, he told his friend it was "too country" for him!

661200_Parrot 40009_Jones.JPG
Tom Jones "Green, Green Grass of Home" (Parrot 40009, November 1966)

Green, Green Grass of Home -Tom Jones' version
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green,_Green_Grass_of_Home#Tom_Jones.27_version

Jones' single would peak at #10 on CashBox and #11 on Billboard the same week in early 1967.

Cash Box Feb 18 1967.JPG
CashBox - February 18, 1967

Billboard Feb 18 1967 p20.JPG
Billboard - February 18, 1967

Soon after, Elvis fell and hit his head, and the start of "Clambake" got delayed several weeks. Crazy times!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sun May 26, 2013 9:50 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:
nevermind wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Because you say so?

Why's that? His vocal on I'll Never Fall In Love Again was brilliant and is flawless to these ears. Listen to the outtake where his voice is more up front. He hits the high notes and holds them like no other male singer could do. His voice is so clear and pure and powerful. But I'm sure some will say he was flat and horse. :roll:

Its not flat and hoarse (horse?) but it is bombastic and to the point of shouting, almost trying to prove how powerful he can be. Doesn't flow naturally at all. Tom wins , hands down.

Sun May 26, 2013 9:54 pm

nevermind wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Because you say so?

No, because Elvis' voice was not up to the demands of the song, and the finished master is very poor by any standard. Most every fan with an unbiased ear agrees.

It should never have been released, but producer Felton Jarvis was desperate to finish the studio album and had very few tracks to use. Sad times!

Sun May 26, 2013 10:03 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:I agree. Recall Red West telling Elvis back in 1966 to record it? That might have been a better time.

On a return trip from spending Thanksgiving 1966 at Tom Parker's house (!) he heard DJ George Klein playing "Green, Green Grass of Home" on the radio and, through a series of stops and phone calls made to Klein, got it spun several more times. Klein was the mid- and late-evening jock at WHBQ, and the #1 DJ in Memphis at the time, but could have lost his job had he not told listeners it was being requested by Elvis on the road.

Obviously, Gladys was on Elvis' mind during this family holiday, and Jones' heartfelt rendition struck him to the core. Ironically, when Red West had played him Jerry Lee Lewis' marvelous cover version the year before, he told his friend it was "too country" for him!

Tom Jones "Green, Green Grass of Home" (Parrot 40009, November 1966

Jones' single would peak at #10 on Cash Box and #11 on Billboard the same week in early 1967.

Cash Box Feb 18 1967.JPG
Cash Box - February 18, 1967

Soon after, Elvis fell and hit his head, and the start of "Clambake" got delayed several weeks. Crazy times!

Fantastic doc...

Sun May 26, 2013 10:27 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
nevermind wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Because you say so?

No, because Elvis' voice was not up to the demands of the song, and the finished master is very poor by any standard. Most every fan with an unbiased ear agrees.

It should never have been released, but producer Felton Jarvis was desperate to finish the studio album and had very few tracks to use. Sad times!

There are several songs who are far worse. Its not that bad. While Tom Jones' version is so much better, i do enjoy EP's version. Speaking of Felton Jarvis, how on earth did he became the producer of world's best entertainer? And why should i agree with "every fan"?

Sun May 26, 2013 10:30 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Tom Jones "Green, Green Grass of Home" (Parrot 40009, November 1966

Jones' single would peak at #10 on CashBox and #11 on Billboard the same week in early 1967.

Cash Box Feb 18 1967.JPG
CashBox - February 18, 1967

Fantastic doc...

Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:27 am

I'm intrigued by the (presumably friendly, but real) rivalry between the two artists:

In June 1969, Tom Jones recorded live versions of Yesterday and Hey Jude. In August 1970, Elvis performed these two songs as a medley. Tom Jones' versions were released as adjacent tracks on his November 1969 album Live In Las Vegas - At The Flamingo. Did Elvis simply copy Tom Jones, or did Tom Jones copy Elvis' medley by means of the track sequencing?

Elvis's live February 1970 versions of Polk Salad Annie and Proud Mary weren't released until July 1970. By then, Tom Jones had released his versions on his April 1970 album Tom. Which is more likely: that Elvis had gotten his hands on an advance copy of Tom's album, or simply that Tom saw Elvis' performance, liked his choice of songs, and managed to get his album on the shelves first?

Finally, at each of the Jungle Room sessions, Elvis seemed to be getting Tom Jones out of his system by revisiting two songs recorded by him. In February 1976, these were Danny Boy and I'll Never Fall In Love Again (both recorded by Tom Jones in 1967). In October 1976 they comprised half the material recorded: He'll Have To Go and Pledging My Love, recorded by Tom Jones in 1967 and 1974 respectively.

Hmm.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:13 am

NumberEight wrote:I'm intrigued by the (presumably friendly, but real) rivalry between the two artists:

In June 1969, Tom Jones recorded live versions of Yesterday and Hey Jude. In August 1970, Elvis performed these two songs as a medley. Tom Jones' versions were released as adjacent tracks on his November 1969 album Live In Las Vegas - At The Flamingo. Did Elvis simply copy Tom Jones, or did Tom Jones copy Elvis' medley by means of the track sequencing?

Elvis's live February 1970 versions of Polk Salad Annie and Proud Mary weren't released until July 1970. By then, Tom Jones had released his versions on his April 1970 album Tom. Which is more likely: that Elvis had gotten his hands on an advance copy of Tom's album, or simply that Tom saw Elvis' performance, liked his choice of songs, and managed to get his album on the shelves first?

Finally, at each of the Jungle Room sessions, Elvis seemed to be getting Tom Jones out of his system by revisiting two songs recorded by him. In February 1976, these were Danny Boy and I'll Never Fall In Love Again (both recorded by Tom Jones in 1967). In October 1976 they comprised half the material recorded: He'll Have To Go and Pledging My Love, recorded by Tom Jones in 1967 and 1974 respectively.

Hmm.

The Beatles medley was only done by Elvis at his July-August 1969 Las Vegas engagement, well before Tom's LP release. However, if Jones was doing the medley in June 1969, Elvis may have seen the show.

690610_w Chris Ellis Chris Slade Tom Jones_Flamingo.JPG
Chris Ellis, Elvis, Chris Slade and Tom Jones, Flamingo Hotel, Las Vegas - June 10, 1969
Photo: Peter C. Borsari
Chris Ellis was Tom's personal assistant, Chris Slade was Tom's current drummer.
Slade went on to drum with Manfred Mann's Earth Band, Gary Numan, AC/DC and others.

But the coupling was a 1969 Vegas standard, done by many singers in the desert that year, and it's unclear where Elvis (or Tom) got the idea. Maybe Vikki Carr or Shirley Bassey.

On Stage February 1970 was issued in June 1970, but in this case I suggest that Tom heard Elvis' dynamic performances and incorporated them into his act. Elvis was quoting "Polk Salad Annie" on stage in 1969, so he liked it from the minute it hit the top 40. Both Jones and Presley were apparently taping their shows in mid-February.

As for the others, Elvis had dug "Danny Boy" for years before he ever heard of Jones, his 1959 German demo on guitar is exquisite, and "Pledging My Love" was a song he had liked since 1955, even performing it on stage that year. The 1976 Graceland arrangement, however, is taken from Delbert McClinton's rendition on his terrific album Genuine Cowhide.

phpBB [video]

Delbert McClinton "Pledging My Love" Genuine Cowhide (ABC Records ABCD 959, October 1976)

---

No doubt, though, there was always a friendly rivalry going on between Jones and Presley.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:29 am

I wish Elvis had lived long enough to release the type of albums Jones is releasing now. Some of the best of his career and a natural path for Elvis to have taken.
Last edited by r&b on Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:13 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
NumberEight wrote:I'm intrigued by the (presumably friendly, but real) rivalry between the two artists:

Hmm.

The Beatles medley was only done by Elvis at his July-August 1969 Las Vegas engagement, well before Tom's LP release. However, if Jones was doing the medley in June 1969, Elvis may have seen the show.

690610_w Chris Ellis Chris Slade Tom Jones_Flamingo.JPG
Chris Ellis, Elvis, Chris Slade and Tom Jones, Flamingo Hotel, Las Vegas - June 10, 1969
Photo: Peter C. Borsari
Chris Ellis was Tom's personal assistant, Chris Slade was Tom's current drummer.
Slade went on to drum with Manfred Mann's Earth Band, Gary Numan, AC/DC and others.

But the coupling was a 1969 Vegas standard, done by many singers in the desert that year, and it's unclear where Elvis (or Tom) got the idea. Maybe Vikki Carr or Shirley Bassey.

On Stage February 1970 was issued in June 1970, but in this case I suggest that Tom heard Elvis' dynamic performances and incorporated them into his act. Elvis was quoting "Polk Salad Annie" on stage in 1969, so he liked it from the minute it hit the top 40. Both Jones and Presley were apparently taping their shows in mid-February.

As for the others, Elvis had dug "Danny Boy" for years before he ever heard of Jones, his 1959 German demo on guitar is exquisite, and "Pledging My Love" was a song he had liked since 1955, even performing it on stage that year. The 1976 Graceland arrangement, however, is taken from Delbert McClinton's rendition on his terrific album Genuine Cowhide.

phpBB [video]

Delbert McClinton "Pledging My Love" Genuine Cowhide (ABC Records ABCD 959, October 1976)

---

No doubt, though, there was always a friendly rivalry going on between Jones and Presley.

'August 1970' was a typo. I meant 1969, of course.

And yes, I know Elvis had played and/or sung Danny Boy and Pledging My Love well before 1976, but it still feels like a game of catch up.

I also forgot to mention Let It Be Me. Certainly a standard, but one Tom Jones had covered on his This Is Tom Jones album in June 1969, eight months before Elvis sang it in February 1970. Maybe that helps redress the balance in respect of Polk Salad Annie and Proud Mary.