Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: "Elvis" by Jerry Hopkins

Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:28 pm

The interviews can be heard in the radio programm! The radio show is doing the rounds on the internet.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:48 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
fn2drive wrote:Always thought this was an authorized biography or as close as you could get and yet it wasn't. IIRC it is pretty much a puff piece-nice in its day. But as we now know wholly deficient.

It was definitely not authorized, and Jerry Hopkins had to rely on at least a few anonymous contributors. Most of the active insiders did not contribute to the narrative. And it was not a "puff-piece" at all. As others have noted, despite the lack of extensive archives or a plethora of primary resources, the author skillfully crafted the Presley story to date, with enough personal details to make the subject a bit angry.

Most valuable were the author's interview notes with people from the early days, like Marion Keisker. Only segments were incorporated into the biography, and would make for interesting reading, if published in full today.

Probaby somewhere in those interview notes is the part about Marion writing a verse for "I don't care if the sun don't shine".

It's one heck of a book, yeah. :wink:

Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:16 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:Maybe Elvis was also angry about the chapter "The Movies" where Hopkins dismiss the quality of the majority of Elvis 60's films.

I seriously doubt that. From what I've read and heard from Elvis himself (see EoT outtakes for example), Elvis did not hold a very high opinion of his movie work in the 60's... he knew they were cookie-cutter scripts... it was a very frustrating time for Elvis.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:18 pm

katiekelly wrote:I do have First Printing of Jerry Hopkins ELVIS. Its hardback but doesn't have the cover. The rest of the book is in great condition. No damage to the spleen. no pages cornered. There is some yellowing of the pages which is expected for a book of this age. . if anyone wants it I'll take best offer.

I have photo's of the book so if you email me I'll send them. kathyholland3@aol.com
Thank you.

You are quite desperate to get rid of this coverless book right? Sorry but spam like this is not appreciate and it probably also is not allowed. And NO I am not interested either...

Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:18 am

Alexander wrote:
katiekelly wrote:I do have First Printing of Jerry Hopkins ELVIS. Its hardback but doesn't have the cover. The rest of the book is in great condition. No damage to the spleen. no pages cornered. There is some yellowing of the pages which is expected for a book of this age. . if anyone wants it I'll take best offer.

I have photo's of the book so if you email me I'll send them. kathyholland3@aol.com
Thank you.

You are quite desperate to get rid of this coverless book right? Sorry but spam like this is not appreciate and it probably also is not allowed. And NO I am not interested either...

A coverless book is worth under a dollar for sure. Not sure what kind of "offer" they are expecting. Myself I would toss it.