Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

"Elvis" by Jerry Hopkins

Wed May 22, 2013 3:39 pm

I am looking for a 1st US printing of Jerry Hopkins "Elvis" biography. What I want to know is, when did this came out, and did come out in hardback or just paperback originally?

Re: "Elvis" by Jerry Hopkins

Wed May 22, 2013 6:07 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:I am looking for a 1st US printing of Jerry Hopkins "Elvis" biography. What I want to know is, when did this came out, and did come out in hardback or just paperback originally?

1971, hardcover and retailed for 7.95 I have one. Sorry, not for sale. What has happened to the price of books? My goodness. I'm sure it will pop up on ebay now & then.

Wed May 22, 2013 6:51 pm

I also have the hardback version.

I will keep my eyes open for an extra copy somewhere.

Wed May 22, 2013 7:54 pm

I have a 2nd printing hard cover copy.

Wed May 22, 2013 9:25 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:I am looking for a 1st US printing of Jerry Hopkins "Elvis" biography. What I want to know is, when did this came out, and did come out in hardback or just paperback originally?

Jerry Hopkins, Elvis: A Biography (New York: Simon & Schuster, October 1971)

It was a hardback release, and you can find many used copies (and a few new ones) on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0671209736

If I were you, I'd grab one of the used ones in the $10-$20 range, you should be fine.

Thu May 23, 2013 5:59 am

Quite a book, especially with Elvis pretty near the top of his field at the time it came out. It had been the first time that I realized how active Elvis was sexually in the 50's and though there wasn't a lot there about his drugs I do recall a warning in the back of the book, in an astrology section, that warned that the drugs he likes could be a problem for him in the coming decade. I remember disregarding that because it was from an astrologer.

I would pick up both of Hopkins' books if you haven't read them.

Thu May 23, 2013 8:05 am

I have the paperback 3rd print. Not a very good shape. You can have it if you want it.

Thu May 23, 2013 9:38 am

Thanks for the replies, friends, and thanks Sheila for the offer, but being a bit of a nerd I want the original hardcover edition! :D

I'll check out Amazon when I get home from work.

I like the idea of a biography written at that particular time. Hopkins didn't know the entire story yet, and there was no hindsight at play.

Thu May 23, 2013 10:08 am

sheila wrote:I have the paperback 3rd print. Not a very good shape. You can have it if you want it.

That is very generous, actually. That book is, for many, the very first Elvis book any of us ever had. I have two copies that are both completely falling apart, and I aim to keep 'em! ;)

rjm (I had bought a new one after he died, and read it so many times again, I destroyed it, too.)

Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:25 am

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Thanks for the replies, friends, and thanks Sheila for the offer, but being a bit of a nerd I want the original hardcover edition! :D

I like the idea of a biography written at that particular time. Hopkins didn't know the entire story yet, and there was no hindsight at play.

I do have First Printing of Jerry Hopkins ELVIS. Its hardback but doesn't have the cover. The rest of the book is in great condition apart from a bit of yellowing through age. I have posted to a few so if ayone wants it I'll take best offer.
Last edited by katiekelly on Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:29 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Jerry Hopkins, Elvis: A Biography (New York: Simon & Schuster, October 1971)

It was a hardback release, and you can find many used copies (and a few new ones) on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0671209736

If I were you, I'd grab one of the used ones in the $10-$20 range, you should be fine.

I fo have a first printing of Jerry Hopkins ELVIS. It is hardback but doesn't have a cover with it. Other than that it is good condition apart from yellowing through age.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:33 am

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Thanks for the replies, friends, and thanks Sheila for the offer, but being a bit of a nerd I want the original hardcover edition! :D

I do have a copy of Jerry Hopkins ELVIS First Printing. Doesn't have a sleeve though but the book is in good condition apart from some yellowing on the pages through age. Love this book but I also have it in paperback so am willng to let hardback go. I have posted to a few people who want one so I'll take best offer.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:35 am

I do have First Printing of Jerry Hopkins ELVIS. Its hardback but doesn't have the cover. The rest of the book is in great condition apart from a bit of yellowing through age. I have posted to a few so if ayone wants it I'll take best offer.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:36 am

r&b wrote:

1971, hardcover and retailed for 7.95 I have one. Sorry, not for sale. What has happened to the price of books? My goodness. I'm sure it will pop up on ebay now & then.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:07 am

...im actually reading this for the very first time! I have the copy that is the recent paperback printing that has combined both of Jerrys books into one & some added text and chapters... I got to hear him speak at EW 2007, was very interesting!

JEFF d
EP fan

Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:47 am

I do have First Printing of Jerry Hopkins ELVIS. Its hardback but doesn't have the cover. The rest of the book is in great condition. No damage to the spleen. no pages cornered. There is some yellowing of the pages which is expected for a book of this age. . if anyone wants it I'll take best offer.

I have photo's of the book so if you email me I'll send them. kathyholland3@aol.com
Thank you.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:56 am

The important thing about this book is that Elvis was still alive and everyone was much younger then, and their memories were more intact for
the interviews.

It's a keeper.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:05 am

I developed a "theory" about the astrologist, after he died. I mean, I got the "new" copy of the book, and had a chance to look at everything with new eyes.

(Some of her astrology, btw, appears incorrect. Besides the point.) Here it is:

The "theory":
Hopkins used this person to "leak" information he knew just prior to publication, but could not prove or corroborate, or verify. "She" refers to his attraction for "speed." Wasn't talking about fast driving. If I had it in front of me, I could go point by point.

He knew stuff, and leaked it out this way. It's all too perfect about his personality, thoughts, habits . . .

What do you think? I mean, "astrologist"? C'mon! I didn't buy it in the 70s, so that's no excuse, that it was "the times." And I was really just a kid, and not THAT cynical yet.

rjm

Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:52 am

Always thought this was an authorized biography or as close as you could get and yet it wasn't. IIRC it is pretty much a puff piece-nice in its day. But as we now know wholly deficient.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:34 am

I'll never forget the first time i saw it in a downtown store window. I could swear it glowed every time I walked by it @ 13 yrs old. I got it that year for Christmas and devoured every word. Especially the part about the princess who had came to America to meet Elvis......his answer..."Does she ....? LOL!!

Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:07 am

At the time, I wondered a lot about that speed reference. It was stated so matter of factly and IIRC, it stated that the speed could be a problem for EP by the mid to late 70's. I just wrote it off as the musings of a goofy astrologist but I like your theory that this was a calculated way to mention the drugs in the book and not have to explain or corroborate.

I didn't think the book was a puff piece at the time. I learned quite a bit about the early days and I learned that he was no celibate goody goody in the 1950's. The description of how the 1968 Special evolved and the battles between Colonel Parker and Steve Binder was told here for the first time. It was fascinating. The book wasn't sordid like many later biographies but the gist of the story even today rings true. Elvis said at the time that the only thing Hopkins got right was the spelling of his name showing that he didn't think it was a puff piece either.

This was a worthwhile and, at the time, indispensable book for any Elvis fan.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:44 am

I know that Elvis read the book but he was angry about a reference to his mother drinking problems. The book was very good, I read it in my country, Romania in the 80's many times (it was the first book about Elvis in a communist era) and I am a fan of Elvis since then. But to me, rereading it now, Jerry Hopkins portraits an almost supernatural Colonel Parker with an unlimited power. I read the sequel of the first book (the final years) 20 years later and I was shocked first how diferent it was. There are a lot of reference regarding drugs, violence, guns which are completely missing from the first book. After that I bought the book released in 2007 which represents the tho books combined. Now I believe Jerry Hopkins remains an essential author about Elvis, maybe in the top 10 of Elvis Presley biographers.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:18 am

stevelecher wrote:At the time, I wondered a lot about that speed reference. It was stated so matter of factly and IIRC, it stated that the speed could be a problem for EP by the mid to late 70's. I just wrote it off as the musings of a goofy astrologist but I like your theory that this was a calculated way to mention the drugs in the book and not have to explain or corroborate.

I didn't think the book was a puff piece at the time. I learned quite a bit about the early days and I learned that he was no celibate goody goody in the 1950's. The description of how the 1968 Special evolved and the battles between Colonel Parker and Steve Binder was told here for the first time. It was fascinating. The book wasn't sordid like many later biographies but the gist of the story even today rings true. Elvis said at the time that the only thing Hopkins got right was the spelling of his name showing that he didn't think it was a puff piece either.

This was a worthwhile and, at the time, indispensable book for any Elvis fan.

Thank you, Steve, about my little theory. You are liking the theory of a teenager mugged by death: Elvis's. To be cynical at that age! But once he died, it changed me. I got a little jaded for the first time. About anything, really. I started to question everything, and kept questioning. (I got access to the pre-med library *on false pretenses* in about '78, to investigate the investigations! A locked room in another part of the campus -- not the Gorgas library. With serious medical books and journals. I don't recall the story I concocted to get in there! I was jaded.)

The first volume remains essential. The second was far surpassed by other books in some of its assumptions, and the tone is . . . disturbing. He sounds betrayed and really angry; it is problematic. Stick with volume 1.

As for that, Ricky, yeah the "Princess" story! LOL! Unforgettable, and if you were just a kid! Wow. "Memories . . . sweetened through the ages just like wine." ;)

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:52 am

fn2drive wrote:Always thought this was an authorized biography or as close as you could get and yet it wasn't. IIRC it is pretty much a puff piece-nice in its day. But as we now know wholly deficient.

It was definitely not authorized, and Jerry Hopkins had to rely on at least a few anonymous contributors. Most of the active insiders did not contribute to the narrative. And it was not a "puff-piece" at all. As others have noted, despite the lack of extensive archives or a plethora of primary resources, the author skillfully crafted the Presley story to date, with enough personal details to make the subject a bit angry.

Most valuable were the author's interview notes with people from the early days, like Marion Keisker. Only segments were incorporated into the biography, and would make for interesting reading, if published in full today.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:23 pm

Maybe Elvis was also angry about the chapter "The Movies" where Hopkins dismiss the quality of the majority of Elvis 60's films. The chapter is short and also it includes few informations about Elvis in the 1961-1967 years. He also sad that in this period the chronology lost the importance from the previous years and Elvis was stuck in thin scripts and forgettable music. The writer I thinks was the first who use in a book the words "Elvis 1968 comeback TV special", a quote that Elvis didn't like.