Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: A Legendary Performer

Wed May 22, 2013 11:49 pm

I have volume 1 and 2 in 'gold' vinyl. Not sure if they're anything special ?

Wed May 22, 2013 11:54 pm

Maybe Roger Semon will oversee some pricey FTD editions.

Thu May 23, 2013 1:08 am

elvis-fan wrote:
Blue River wrote:
cashfan wrote:
LSP-4445 wrote:Regarding the 74 original LP,just read on WWW that first issue had a rare version of cant help falling in love.
Havent heard it myself.

I forgot to mention that in my blog. The version of Can't Help Falling In Love was minus the backing vocals.

Wow! I had the album back then and never realized that! Very interesting.
Does anyone know if it was released on CD that way?
>> http://www.elvisoncd.com/eigenecd/CD/a/ ... usa91.html

The completed master is on the original 1989 Canadian issued CD.

Okay, thanks. So the LP vinyl may be the only way to get the master take minus the backing vocals.

Thu May 23, 2013 1:09 am

cashfan wrote:I have been looking through some of the few Elvis vinyl albums I have left in the collection and came across the four volumes of A Legendary Performer and decided to write about the albums on my blog. You can read it here - http://peterlewryblog.weebly.com/

Peter

Great blog, and I'm also a big Johnny Cash fan! The first time I heard him was in the 1990s on a cd containing both the Folsom Prison and the San Quentin shows, it was some eye-opener as to what a REAL entertainer (playing to a potentially difficult crowd) and a great hot hilbilly live band could sound like... I discovered Johnny even before I discovered Elvis.. 8)

Thu May 23, 2013 1:48 am

Thanks for those pictures, Barry. Your collection never fails to impress. "Classics", indeed.

N8
... just a fan ....

Thu May 23, 2013 2:33 am

N880EP wrote:Thanks for those pictures, Barry. Your collection never fails to impress. "Classics", indeed.

N8
... just a fan ....

My Pleasure.
Thank You.

Thu May 23, 2013 3:05 am

LSP-4445 wrote:Regarding the 74 original LP,just read on WWW that first issue had a rare version of cant help falling in love.
Havent heard it myself.

I ordered my copy from the RCA Record Club in 1978 when I was 12. It wasn't until about 10 years ago that I discovered that there were two tracks that were supposed to have false starts on them. I had one of the copies that were pressed with the original versions. It was a nice surprise considering it was among one of the first five Elvis albums I bought. 1000 records later...

Thu May 23, 2013 4:36 am

Isn't there a list of Elvis' gold records in the booklet that belongs to Legendary Performer Vol. 1? I was shown that booklet a long time ago and I thought I read a list of gold records on one of those pages?

Thu May 23, 2013 5:33 am

Tmorelli01 wrote:
LSP-4445 wrote:Regarding the 74 original LP, just read on WWW that first issue had a rare version of cant help falling in love.
Havent heard it myself.

I ordered my copy from the RCA Record Club in 1978 when I was 12. It wasn't until about 10 years ago that I discovered that there were two tracks that were supposed to have false starts on them. I had one of the copies that were pressed with the original versions.

Tmorelli01... false starts? Are you talking about "Such A Night" on Elvis - A Legendary Performer Volume 2 (1976) ?

Thu May 23, 2013 6:29 pm

Blue River wrote:
Tmorelli01 wrote:
LSP-4445 wrote:Regarding the 74 original LP, just read on WWW that first issue had a rare version of cant help falling in love.
Havent heard it myself.

I ordered my copy from the RCA Record Club in 1978 when I was 12. It wasn't until about 10 years ago that I discovered that there were two tracks that were supposed to have false starts on them. I had one of the copies that were pressed with the original versions.

Tmorelli01... false starts? Are you talking about "Such A Night" on Elvis - A Legendary Performer Volume 2 (1976) ?

And Cane and a High Starch Collar. My copy did not have the false starts/studio banter either. I had to buy another copy!

Thu May 23, 2013 7:00 pm

I am sure, and I hope they will be released as Classic albums on FTD.

Thu May 23, 2013 7:48 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

I´m sure that if luckyjackson1 was reading this topic he would supply us with a rip of the Elvis-A Legendary Performer Vol 1 LP cut of Can´t Help Falling In Love :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Thu May 23, 2013 8:06 pm

The Legendary series could be handled much like Out Memories of Elvis on FTD, they really do not need to include the interviews, or if they do, tag them on at the end. It is irritating to have an interview interjected in the flow of music.

Thu May 23, 2013 8:11 pm

skatterbrane wrote:The Legendary series could be handled much like Out Memories of Elvis on FTD, they really do not need to include the interviews, or if they do, tag them on at the end. It is irritating to have an interview interjected in the flow of music.

If they ever do release the series on FTD they should remain as per the originals with the interviews left as they were. It is how the albums were originally released so why change the order.

Thu May 23, 2013 8:25 pm

Because I had to lift the needle on the LPs at each interview. and FTD would have a chance to bury the interviews at the end to enhance the listening pleasure. I certainly hope if FTD does Elvis In Concert, they nuke the fan's comments too!! Just the two concerts in their entirety please!!

Interviews, unlike music, get VERY tiresome hearing more than once or twice in a lifetime.

Thu May 23, 2013 8:29 pm

skatterbrane wrote:The Legendary series could be handled much like Out Memories of Elvis on FTD, they really do not need to include the interviews, or if they do, tag them on at the end. It is irritating to have an interview interjected in the flow of music.

The magic of the series was the mix of masters, outtakes and rare interviews. It painted a complete picture of how the artist became legendary, and to edit the original sequencing would destroy this. You have to tip your cap to RCA producer Joan Deary on this one.

Sadly, I've never read what Elvis might have thought about Volume 1 or 2, and especially hearing such material as 1954's "Harbor Lights" and "I Love You Because," or those ripping live tracks from the 1968 small combo jams, like "Love Me," "Tryin' to Get to You" and "Baby What You Want Me To Do."

Thu May 23, 2013 8:37 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

The magic of the series was the mix of masters, outtakes and rare interviews. It painted a complete picture of how the artist became legendary, and to edit the original sequencing would destroy this. You have to tip your cap to RCA producer Joan Deary on this one.

My thoughts exactly.

Thu May 23, 2013 8:40 pm

If i'm correct Vol 1 and 2 which were released during Elvis life time all featured tracks recorded pre 1972 and because Elvis and the colonel had sold the rights to the back catalogue of songs to RCA for peanuts poor ol' Elvis got nothing in royalties and these two albums were selling more than his regular studio albums of the time.

Thu May 23, 2013 8:47 pm

MIKEMORAN wrote:If i'm correct Vol 1 and 2 which were released during Elvis life time all featured tracks recorded pre 1972 and because Elvis and the colonel had sold the rights to the back catalogue of songs to RCA for peanuts poor ol' Elvis got nothing in royalties and these two albums were selling more than his regular studio albums of the time.

Basically, this is correct.

Volume 2 actually used "Blue Hawaii," taped at the "Aloha" post-show session in Honolulu on 1-14-1973, but kind of hid that fact behind a vague credit that read "UNRELEASED live version."

Sneaky RCA!

Thu May 23, 2013 8:53 pm

I also remember reading somewhere that Elvis refused to autograph a fans copy of vol 2 because it sold better than his current release and he was not too happy.

Thu May 23, 2013 8:59 pm

MIKEMORAN wrote:I also remember reading somewhere that Elvis refused to autograph a fans copy of vol 2 because it sold better than his current release and he was not too happy.

Never heard of Elvis ever refusing to sign an autograph... and I can't imagine that in 1976 Elvis would have even had a clue about his record sales...

Thu May 23, 2013 9:17 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Sadly, I've never read what Elvis might have thought about Volume 1 or 2, and especially hearing such material as 1954's "Harbor Lights" and "I Love You Because," or those ripping live tracks from the 1968 small combo jams, like "Love Me," "Tryin' to Get to You" and "Baby What You Want Me To Do."

If Joan was REALLY interested in the complete pictrue, she would have had the sequencing in chronological order!! (and the damned interviews tagged on the end) Maybe the interviews on the FTD releases can be "hidden" tracks?

I cannot stand seeing a movie more than twice in ten years, let along hearing an interview!! I do not like to hear the same song twice in one day either. It is difficult for me to hear several takes of the same song, but I do it upon the first listen of any new FTD. I very rarely go back and listen to the entire outtake section of any FTD again after the first listen. I pick and choose after the first listen.

I have over 6000 CDs and 50% of them I have only heard once. It get bored very easily.

When I drive around doing errands, I almost always have at least one CD with me, and once it has played through once, and starts over, I turn it off. I HATE to listen to radio, always have. They play the same songs over and over again all day, all week, all month and all year, and the classic rock and oldies stations have been playing the same 50 songs for the last 40-50 years. I don't understand that! There are 10s of thousands, maybe 100s of thousands oldies and classic rock songs to choose from without even going uber obscure!

Thu May 23, 2013 9:26 pm

skatterbrane wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

If Joan was REALLY interested in the complete pictrue, she would have had the sequencing in chronological order!! (and the damned interviews tagged on the end) Maybe the interviews on the FTD releases can be "hidden" tracks?

Again, it destroys the concept. Also, Volume 1 and Volume 2 appear to be pretty close to a chronological order already.

Thu May 23, 2013 9:37 pm

MIKEMORAN wrote:I also remember reading somewhere that Elvis refused to autograph a fans copy of vol 2 because it sold better than his current release and he was not too happy.

I read something along the lines of Elvis not signing a record because he thought it was a bootleg.

Thu May 23, 2013 9:49 pm

No they were not in chronological order:

http://www.elvisrecords.us/cpl1-0341-a- ... -volume-1/

http://www.elvisrecords.us/cpl1-1349-a- ... -volume-2/

Number 3 and 4 are pretty close, but still not:
http://www.elvisrecords.us/cpl1-0382-a- ... -volume-3/

http://www.elvisrecords.us/cpl1-4848-a- ... -volume-4/