Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

A Legendary Performer

Tue May 21, 2013 11:50 pm

I have been looking through some of the few Elvis vinyl albums I have left in the collection and came across the four volumes of A Legendary Performer and decided to write about the albums on my blog. You can read it here - http://peterlewryblog.weebly.com/

Peter

Re: A Legendary Performer

Wed May 22, 2013 12:02 am

Thanks. One of my first Elvis LP's back in 1975 or so. Spent hours reading the booklet and many other firsts on Elvis. Including 1st time I heard "That's All right Mama"! It was something to this boys ears.

Wed May 22, 2013 12:10 am

Enjoyed reading your review of these great albums. Must admit to hoping that FTD releases these in the near future perhaps with a few added tracks. If the Hits Of The 70's album warranted a collectors release then these four albums certainly deserve the same treatment.
Last edited by R2-D2 on Wed May 22, 2013 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 22, 2013 12:12 am

I still remember the day I bought Vol. 3 and heard the alternate Burbank versions of It Hurts Me and Let Yourself Go and the live version of Let It Be Me. And then Vol. 4 with the live MSG tracks like Reconsider Baby. That was the first time we ever heard a live version of the song. As a child, I was always fascinated with the 70's Elvis the most and the live tracks. I became a life long fan after watching Aloha From Hawaii and my dad bought the double LP of the show and we wore it out. But after hearing the On Stage February 1970 LP in the early 80's for the first time, it became my favorite live album. I listened to that tape every day for like a year! Now I hardly listen to that album anymore with so many live albums available.

Hopefully SONY will soon put these 4 volumes together, maybe add a new volume to the collection, and release it as a 5-disc digi-pack set.

Wed May 22, 2013 12:16 am

cashfan wrote:I have been looking through some of the few Elvis vinyl albums I have left in the collection and came across the four volumes of A Legendary Performer and decided to write about the albums on my blog. You can read it here - http://peterlewryblog.weebly.com/

Peter

That's a VERY nice overview of a series of records near and dear to my heart as well. They were my introduction, really, to the entire career of the man and his music, especially Volume 1. Thank you for sharing your work with us.

Wed May 22, 2013 9:53 am

cashfan wrote:I have been looking through some of the few Elvis vinyl albums I have left in the collection and came across the four volumes of A Legendary Performer and decided to write about the albums on my blog. You can read it here - http://peterlewryblog.weebly.com/

Peter

Have always loved this series, especially the first two volumes, which each introduced me to the early "SUN" Elvis. Vol. 1's "That's All Right Mama" blew me away when I first heard it (couldn't believe it was EP) and vol. 2's "Harbor Lights" blew my father away (who hadn't heard the song in ages and was equally stunned it was EP singing). Wonderful memories. Thanks for this thread, sharing your thoughts and reminding me.

For nostalgic reasons, I've also always had a strong fondness for the two covers of the first two volumes. Both used iconic "Aloha" photos (Vol. 2, used the famous "tear" photo). If memory serves me correctly, I believe vol. 3 (which came out after EP's passing) was a picture disc of a younger EP.

Enjoyed your reviews and memories.

N8
... just a fan ....

Wed May 22, 2013 4:03 pm

Great read Cashfan

I remember when i first bought Vol 1 when i was a kid and was so excited and spent hours listening to the record and reading the booklet over and over.I still have this series of records in my collection.I have been collecting Elvis records since i was a kid and have well over a thousand Elvis records in my collection and will never part with even one of them because they are so precious to me.I have every original Elvis 78,45,LP record released during Elvis lifetime from 1954-1977 and have left the entire collection in my will to my 2 children.

Wed May 22, 2013 4:17 pm

I believe these albums sold better than his studio albums in the 70's. I think RCA also put out this series on some of their other artists as well.

Wed May 22, 2013 5:13 pm

Loved those releases, and the RARE ELVIS VOLS from the 80s too ...........

And wasnt there a super alternate of LET YOURSELF GO on VOL3 ?

Wed May 22, 2013 5:39 pm

The four volumes would make a splendid 7" 2CD FTD release... <hint hint>

Wed May 22, 2013 5:50 pm

Peter

Great blog Peter... thank you for sharing. I really enjoyed your article on the Million Dollar Quartet as well!!!

Wed May 22, 2013 6:12 pm

Classics
DSCN5874.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed May 22, 2013 6:13 pm

EP
DSCN5875.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed May 22, 2013 6:14 pm

EP
DSCN5876.JPG

Wed May 22, 2013 6:15 pm

EP
DSCN5877.JPG

Wed May 22, 2013 6:16 pm

EP
DSCN5878.JPG

Wed May 22, 2013 6:17 pm

EP
DSCN5879.JPG

Wed May 22, 2013 6:18 pm

EP
DSCN5880.JPG

Wed May 22, 2013 6:18 pm

EP
DSCN5881.JPG

Wed May 22, 2013 6:19 pm

EP
DSCN5882.JPG

Wed May 22, 2013 6:35 pm

Regarding the 74 original LP,just read on WWW that first issue had a rare version of cant help falling in love.
Havent heard it myself.

Wed May 22, 2013 7:19 pm

LSP-4445 wrote:Regarding the 74 original LP,just read on WWW that first issue had a rare version of cant help falling in love.
Havent heard it myself.

I forgot to mention that in my blog. The version of Can't Help Falling In Love was minus the backing vocals.

Wed May 22, 2013 7:34 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

LSP-4445 wrote:Regarding the 74 original LP,just read on WWW that first issue had a rare version of cant help falling in love.
Havent heard it myself.

It´s just the master of the song without tha backing of the Jordanaires :wink:. Sorry, I can´t rip it for you because my original 1974 U.S release is still sealed! 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Wed May 22, 2013 8:33 pm

cashfan wrote:
Havent heard it myself.

I forgot to mention that in my blog. The version of Can't Help Falling In Love was minus the backing vocals.

Wow! I had the album back then and never realized that! Very interesting.

Does anyone know if it was released on CD that way?
>> http://www.elvisoncd.com/eigenecd/CD/a/ ... usa91.html

Wed May 22, 2013 11:03 pm

Blue River wrote:
cashfan wrote:
Havent heard it myself.

Wow! I had the album back then and never realized that! Very interesting.

Does anyone know if it was released on CD that way?
>> http://www.elvisoncd.com/eigenecd/CD/a/ ... usa91.html

The completed master is on the original 1989 Canadian issued CD.