Re: FTD Stay Away, Joe Excellent!!!!!!.

Sat May 18, 2013 7:43 pm

rjm wrote: The whole kookiness aspect.

rjm

Ironic.

Sat May 18, 2013 7:46 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D .

Joe Car wrote:Think I'm going to get this. Thanks Mike!

You won't regret it! :wink:. One of the most entretaining FTD releases so far and outstanding sound quality, enjoy. Bye for now :smt006.

Sat May 18, 2013 7:48 pm

Just been listening to it again! cracking cd .....keep on it ftd ...good stuff.

Sat May 18, 2013 8:05 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

draig goch wrote:Just been listening to it again! cracking cd .....keep on it ftd ...good stuff.

Spot on! ::rocks. Bye for now :smt006.

Sat May 18, 2013 8:55 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D .

You won't regret it! :wink:. One of the most entretaining FTD releases so far and outstanding sound quality, enjoy. Bye for now :smt006.

You certainly won't! Just got my copy and what a pleasant surprise it was. I really enjoy the outtakes and the early arrangement of Too Much Monkey Business.

Sat May 18, 2013 9:16 pm

Albert Goldman wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D .

You certainly won't! Just got my copy and what a pleasant surprise it was. I really enjoy the outtakes and the early arrangement of Too Much Monkey Business.

Thank you and to all the contibutors who have listened to this great cd and shared their enthusiasm ::rocks. Here is hope that Mr. Ernst Jorgensen or any of his team are informed how we praise this release 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Sun May 19, 2013 1:23 am

Mike Windgren wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:As for the two soundtrack submissions ("Stay Away," "Goin' Home"), he dutifully cut them, but did not regard either as anything special -- his derision on the outtakes was that palpable

Dear Doc, are you sure what you are saying about the flow of the recording of Stay Away? :shock:. Have you listened to all the outtakes of Stay Away?

Sure have. One example of Elvis' disenchantment with "Stay Away"" is clearly heard on take 1. Give it a spin!

::rocks
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sun May 19, 2013 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 19, 2013 1:54 am

Hi there :D :D :D.

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:As for the two soundtrack submissions ("Stay Away," "Goin' Home"), he dutifully cut them, but did not regard either as anything special -- his derision on the outtakes was that palpable

Dear Doc, are you sure what you are saying about the flow of the recording of Stay Away? :shock:. Have you listened to all the outtakes of Stay Away?

Sure have. One example of Elvis' disenchantment with "Stay Away"" is clearly heard on take 16. Give it a spin!

Will do after you listen to take 11 :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Sun May 19, 2013 3:41 am

Mike Windgren wrote:Will do after you listen to take 11 ...

You're the one with the complaint, I'm the one with the facts. Do your homework. ;-)

Sun May 19, 2013 10:38 am

For those who care:

Here's the fantastic Take 3 of "Too Much Monkey Business" (originally a long false start), combined with the ending taken from Take 9:

Too Much Monkey Business (Splice Of Takes 3 and 9).wav (File size: 27 MB)
http://www41.zippyshare.com/v/96402142/file.html

Sun May 19, 2013 10:41 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:

Sure have. One example of Elvis' disenchantment with "Stay Away"" is clearly heard on take 16. Give it a spin!

But "The recording comes out great", says my brand new FTD booklet about Stay Away... maybe just one of them famous errors in FTD products...

Sun May 19, 2013 11:05 am

There is no Take 16 of "Stay Away"...

Sun May 19, 2013 11:41 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:For those who care:

Here's the fantastic Take 3 of "Too Much Monkey Business" (originally a long false start), combined with the ending taken from Take 9:

I care! Thank you!

Sun May 19, 2013 11:58 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

You're the one with the complaint, I'm the one with the facts. Do your homework. ;-)

One more time you have been proved to be wrong :roll:. You tried to deceive us with facts that are false!, I did my homework and you didn´t. First I showed you that Elvis enjoyed the recording of the song Stay Away, Joe and then you tried to ridiculize me that I should listen to a take (16...?) of the song that doesn´t exist. What are you trying?. Please take a break on this messageboard, there is life out there and when you have recovered from the burn out, you are welcome to post again :wink:. Bye for now and have a great vacation in your abscence :smt006.

P.S: By the way, I´m still wating for you to pull out your famous copy of 47-9731 Charro/Memories and prove that Charro is in Mono sound when it is not!.(viewtopic.php?f=1&t=76135) :smt005.
Last edited by Mike Windgren on Sun May 19, 2013 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 19, 2013 12:08 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:

Are we talking about the "green sleeves" tune? because there's only
a take 16 noted for stay away joe?

But anyway for one who's derision dutifully recording these songs he seems
to be enjoying these sessions very much. Clearly a strange thing for someone
who's just dutifully at work.
In my opinoin he definitely put hearable effort in these songs, great vocals.
Sure not top notch, he knows, we know but still very, very enjoyable songs.

Sun May 19, 2013 1:08 pm

Sun May 19, 2013 1:33 pm

Thank you for sharing ::rocks. This is another example to show what great outtakes this song have. What a pitty we couldn't have the complete recording session of this song (there are still 7 more outtakes unreleased) :cry:. Bye for now :smt006.

Sun May 19, 2013 2:17 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Thank you for sharing ::rocks. This is another example to show what great outtakes this song have. What a pitty we couldn't have the complete recording session of this song (there are still 7 more outtakes unreleased) :cry:. Bye for now :smt006.

Actually only 6, unless you're counting undubbed masters.

Sun May 19, 2013 4:53 pm

promiseland wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Actually only 6, unless you're counting undubbed masters.

Yes correct!, 7 takes of which one is the undubbed master :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Sun May 19, 2013 5:42 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:You're the one with the complaint, I'm the one with the facts. Do your homework.

One more time you have been proved to be wrong :roll:. You tried to deceive us with facts that are false!, I did my homework and you didn´t. First I showed you that Elvis enjoyed the recording of the song Stay Away, Joe and then you tried to ridiculize me that I should listen to a take (16...?) of the song that doesn´t exist. What are you trying?. Please take a break on this messageboard, there is life out there and when you have recovered from the burn out, you are welcome to post again :wink:. Bye for now and have a great vacation in your abscence :smt006.

P.S: By the way,
I'm still waiting for you to pull out your famous copy of 47-9731 Charro/Memories and prove that Charro is in Mono sound when it is not!.(viewtopic.php?f=1&t=76135) :smt005.

:D Mike, you da' man! 8)

Sun May 19, 2013 10:02 pm

I want to join the "Stay Away, Joe" FTD fanclub, please. This is a very entertaining release. Cool artwork, nice booklet, fun songs. It's also good to be reminded of the WONDERFUL sound Elvis and Jerry achieved on "Too Much Monkey Business" and "US Male" -- these are some of the greatest sounding records he ever did, in my opinion. I love that loose vibe... It's virtually impossible to be still while listening to "Too Much Monkey Business" in particular. This is a forgotten classic and deserved a much bigger audience at the time.

Thanks FTD team!

Sun May 19, 2013 10:06 pm

I now await "Guitar Man Volume 2" FTD. The second half of the '67-'68 sessions still needs to be released on the collectors label, including more outtakes of "Wings Of An Angel" if there are any.

Sun May 19, 2013 10:16 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

One more time you have been proved to be wrong ...

Oh, my batting average is probably .950 -- and I can live with that. ;-)

Be as rude as you wish, it doesn't change the fact that Elvis HATED the songs Freddy Bienstock submitted for the January 1968 date, to a point where some claim he smashed the worst demos against a wall. It doesn't change the audible derision heard on the outtakes for the soundtrack songs he ended up cutting. It doesn't change that the final tally for two days of session work was four (4) masters, which put Felton Jarvis in RCA's doghouse. And it is a fact that he would not return to Nashville for almost two and a half years.

Those are details you neatly avoid, and that is what I meant by "do your homework."

As for my "Stay Away" example, I made a typo. Sorry, Mike!! I meant to type take 1, now corrected. The extreme disgust with his work on "Goin' Home" continues into the recording of "Stay Away." It is clear and evident.

Perhaps pull away just a tad from your "Elvis collecting obsession" and try to listen to Elvis as a recording artist and a human being. Try to appreciate the aesthetic that FTD embraces with each terrific title.

You might find it's a wonderful way to enjoy the man and his music. ;-)

Sun May 19, 2013 10:33 pm

Wasn't it Elvis' idea for someone to come up with alternate lyrics to Greensleeves in the first place? I would guess Elvis DID like Stay Away.

Sun May 19, 2013 10:38 pm

skatterbrane wrote:Wasn't it Elvis' idea for someone to come up with alternate lyrics to Greensleeves in the first place? I would guess Elvis DID like Stay Away.

My understanding is this was another brainstorm by Freddy Bienstock, which he'd been pursuing for years, with several songwriters.