Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: FTD Stay Away, Joe Excellent!!!!!!.

Thu May 23, 2013 5:37 pm

Yeah, what we need now is more soundtracks, like "Speedway" and "Kissin' Cousins"!

I am very happy we got "Stay Away, Joe" now because it had been so long since the last soundtrack in the Classic Album Series. Let's all hope and pray that the next one will be here soon.

Thu May 23, 2013 6:05 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Yeah, what we need now is more soundtracks, like "Speedway" and "Kissin' Cousins"!

I am very happy we got "Stay Away, Joe" now because it had been so long since the last soundtrack in the Classic Album Series. Let's all hope and pray that the next one will be here soon.

Maybe September/October 2013 with the next FTD batch? :wink:. I hope it is Flaming Star 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Thu May 23, 2013 6:23 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Yeah, what we need now is more soundtracks, like "Speedway" and "Kissin' Cousins"!

Maybe September/October 2013 with the next FTD batch? :wink:. I hope it is Flaming Star 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Please GI Blues vol.2.

Fri May 24, 2013 12:59 am

One batch of G.I. Blues outtakes is enough for me. No interest in Vol. 2.

Fri May 24, 2013 1:07 am

JerryNodak wrote:One batch of G.I. Blues outtakes is enough for me. No interest in Vol. 2.

It will be coming though. Lots of different takes and versions to go yet. May not be as cool as two batches of Jailhouse Rock but it is still ranks high in coolness.

Fri May 24, 2013 1:12 am

Regarding a potential FTD release of "Kissin' Cousins," I'd like to see "Kissin' Cousins" No. 1 released with Elvis singing in his regular voice and not spliced with the "hillbilly" version. That song alone would be enough for me to buy the CD!

MT

Fri May 24, 2013 1:44 am

MysteryTrain wrote:Regarding a potential FTD release of "Kissin' Cousins," I'd like to see "Kissin' Cousins" No. 1 released with Elvis singing in his regular voice and not spliced with the "hillbilly" version. That song alone would be enough for me to buy the CD!

MT

How about this?

"Kissin' Cousins" (straight "Josh" vocal)
"Kissin' Cousins" (country "Jodie" vocal)

And, of course, as many of the pure, September 1963 Nashville Studio B backing tracks as can fit on one CD.

Fri May 24, 2013 6:21 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
MysteryTrain wrote:Regarding a potential FTD release of "Kissin' Cousins," I'd like to see "Kissin' Cousins" No. 1 released with Elvis singing in his regular voice and not spliced with the "hillbilly" version. That song alone would be enough for me to buy the CD!

MT

How about this?

And, of course, as many of the pure, September 1963 Nashville Studio B backing tracks as can fit on one CD.

Kissin Cousins is a bit of a mystery to me. What is there that they have as far as alternates etc.?

Fri May 24, 2013 9:36 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

MT

How about this?

I can feel the sarcasm. But some of us enjoy a little bit of soundtrack fun, and "Kissin' Cousins" is great fun for sure. What Ernst could do is include the mono masters as bonus songs, and whatever else he has in terms of outtakes, although I know it's not much.

But I'd rather see a "Kissin' Cousins" FTD with very little bonus material than no "Kissin' Couins" FTD at all. After all, if they could release the "Hits Of The '70s" FTD, they can't argue that they won't relese "Kissin' Cousins" because there are too few outtakes. I want Vic and Sebastian to work on the tapes, and I want Ernst and Roger to design a nice package.

This goes for all the remaining soundtracks. And when they're done they can reissue "Kid Galahad" and "Follow That Dream" with the same VERY nice artwork but in upgraded sound. Thanks.

Fri May 24, 2013 11:45 am

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

MT

How about this?

I can feel the sarcasm. But some of us enjoy a little bit of soundtrack fun, and "Kissin' Cousins" is great fun for sure. What Ernst could do is include the mono masters as bonus songs, and whatever else he has in terms of outtakes, although I know it's not much.

But I'd rather see a "Kissin' Cousins" FTD with very little bonus material than no "Kissin' Couins" FTD at all. After all, if they could release the "Hits Of The '70s" FTD, they can't argue that they won't relese "Kissin' Cousins" because there are too few outtakes. I want Vic and Sebastian to work on the tapes, and I want Ernst and Roger to design a nice package.

This goes for all the remaining soundtracks. And when they're done they can reissue "Kid Galahad" and "Follow That Dream" with the same VERY nice artwork but in upgraded sound. Thanks.

Spot on! ::rocks. Thanks. As much as some over here critize his movie soundtracks recordings one thing is a fact, there is more Elvis beyond Elvis Is Back! and From Elvis In Memphis :wink:.
Bye for now :smt006.

Fri May 24, 2013 12:03 pm

Might I suggest that some evidence that Elvis enjoyed singing 'Stay Away' can be found in the fade-out on the extended master, where he 'echoes' the melody ? Would he have done that if he didn't like the song/melody ?

I also feel that Elvis always liked a song where he could let his voice soar, as on 'Stay Away', and, for example, Follow That Dream and Wonderful World.

Fri May 24, 2013 12:41 pm

Steve Morse wrote:Might I suggest that some evidence that Elvis enjoyed singing 'Stay Away' can be found in the fade-out on the extended master, where he 'echoes' the melody ? Would he have done that if he didn't like the song/melody ?

I also feel that Elvis always liked a song where he could let his voice soar, as on 'Stay Away', and, for example, Follow That Dream and Wonderful World.

Thank you!. That´s what I´ve been trying to explain the last week or so but still some failed to understand that :roll:. Here is one more evidence of this fact: Elvis enjoyed this song very much!!!!! 8). Bye for now :smt006.

http://www22.zippyshare.com/v/95825113/file.html

Fri May 24, 2013 2:56 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

MT

How about this?

Im not being smart here, Doc, what would you like released by FTD that is possible for them to release?

Fri May 24, 2013 8:46 pm

nod3million wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

MT

How about this?

Im not being smart here, Doc, what would you like released by FTD that is possible for them to release?

The 9-29-1963 Nashville Studio B session was basically engineering whiz Bill Porter's swan song, and to learn what the music sounded like before Elvis taped his vocals at the MGM Sound Stage a few weeks later might be cool. Although most of the material was very poor, the studio and musicians were top-notch. Many feel the final product after Hollywood overdubbing killed the classic Nashville sound. Whether any of the pure backing track reels still exist is unknown, but even a few examples would make for a nice addition.

IIRC, the 10-10-1963 vocal overdubs by Elvis in Culver City have only seen a single outtake surface, the country "Jodie" vocal released on Silver Screen Stereo (FTD, June 2001). Getting both lead vocals in standalone fashion, as noted above, would also be fun. The title track is a decent piece of material. If outtakes of the rest of the vocal session exist, it might be interesting to hear if Elvis acknowledged how bad these songs were.

Beyond that, Kissin' Cousins was one of the first really horrible soundtracks, and FTD will have quite a job making a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Still, I will buy it, but that's because I am just another crazy fan. ;-)

Fri May 24, 2013 8:59 pm

Good post, Doc.

I'd love to hear "Kissin' Cousins" No. 1 with Elvis singing in his "regular" voice throughout the entire track. You are correct, an acapella "hillbilly" version was released sans the backing track on "Silver Screen Stereo." If I recall correctly, someone later dupped a backing track on the "hillbilly" voice version, which has not been released officially. Was it Jamie Aaron Kelley?

MT

Fri May 24, 2013 9:33 pm

MysteryTrain wrote:Good post, Doc.

I'd love to hear "Kissin' Cousins" No. 1 with Elvis singing in his "regular" voice throughout the entire track. You are correct, an acapella "hillbilly" version was released sans the backing track on "Silver Screen Stereo." If I recall correctly, someone later dupped a backing track on the "hillbilly" voice version, which has not been released officially. Was it Jamie Aaron Kelley?

MT

Thanks. No idea who did the mix, but certainly an FTD version of the track will be the one to have.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:28 am

As mentioned at the start of this topic some recording space was not used on the cd and one of the songs that could have been included was the Undubbed Master of Stay Away 8). This has never been officially released before by RCA/BMG/SONY neither by FOLLOW THAT DREAM Collectors Label. Enjoy! ::rocks. Bye for now :smt006.

http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/7201659/file.html

Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:40 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

MT

How about this?

whats wrong with the audio on kid galahad on the ftd?
i think that its the best you can make out of those tapes.....so what do you mean?
with the ftd-ftd....i suppose you mean some wobbling sounds at the title track and the outtakes....

Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:01 am

MysteryTrain wrote:Good post, Doc.

MT

Thanks.

No idea who was behind that mix, but it may be up on YouTube. Anyone know?

Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:44 pm

This is a release that I wouldn't have bought if it hadn't been for all the positive reviews on this board. And I haven't been disappointed. One question though: didn't Elvis have an agreement with RCA that Dominic would never be released? my God that's a terrible song :cry: It's the only Elvis song I can't listen to, makes Clambake sound like a really good song.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:43 pm

How about a Spankox Remix of "Stay Away, Joe"? :wink:

Anyway, I have a question:
Elvis made a comment during the recording of "Stay Away": "Yeah, that's a good number, man. It's a good number. Cool" (Track 19, at 02:03).
Was he referring to the song or to Felton's announcement ("Twelve", announcing Take 12)?
My first assumption was he was talking about the song.

I personally love "Greensleeves" but prefer a more slow-paced tempo (or a different arrangement respectively) to it. And with that I don't mean the first takes of "Stay Away". :)

Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:59 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D

Pink&Black wrote:This is a release that I wouldn't have bought if it hadn't been for all the positive reviews on this board. And I haven't been disappointed.

That was the main goal to inform fans what a great release this was :wink:. Glad you liked it!. Bye for now :smt006.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:06 pm

matilda wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

MT

How about this?

whats wrong with the audio on kid galahad on the ftd?
i think that its the best you can make out of those tapes.....so what do you mean?
with the ftd-ftd....i suppose you mean some wobbling sounds at the title track and the outtakes....

Both "Kid Galahad" and "Follow That Dream" were released before Sebastian, Vic Anesini or Kevan Budd came on board. So there is definitely room for improvement. I think the "Kid Galahad" FTD in particular sounds "thin".

Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:08 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D

Pink&Black wrote:This is a release that I wouldn't have bought if it hadn't been for all the positive reviews on this board. And I haven't been disappointed.

That was the main goal to inform fans what a great release this was :wink:. Glad you liked it!. Bye for now :smt006.

Hopefully it will encourage FTD to release more soundtracks, and soon! This is entertaining stuff.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:16 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D

Hopefully it will encourage FTD to release more soundtracks, and soon! This is entertaining stuff.

Here is hope as well. At least Kissin' Cousins just for you and me as others seem not to care too much about this soundtrack :smt005. Bye for now :smt006.
Last edited by Mike Windgren on Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.