Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: FTD Stay Away, Joe Excellent!!!!!!.

Tue May 21, 2013 3:06 pm

Yes, I just hate it when an interesting thread is ruined because the boys get into a pissing contest.

Tue May 21, 2013 3:33 pm

Back to the topic at hand. What makes this FTD such a highly touted release? There is only a handful of titles on here and some are putrid movie songs, so why such a high rating. I already have some outtakes of the best 2 songs, US Male & Monkey Business. What justifies the 35.00 one would spend on this?

Tue May 21, 2013 4:13 pm

So, are we saying the US single version of Charro is in stereo? I used to have it, but it has been so long I do not remember. And on the Camden LP it was in mono, right?

Tue May 21, 2013 4:51 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

skatterbrane wrote:So, are we saying the US single version of Charro is in stereo? I used to have it, but it has been so long I do not remember. And on the Camden LP it was in mono, right?

Where have you been my friend? :wink:.Of course it is in glorious STEREO, please follow this link: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=76135, it was very helpful 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Tue May 21, 2013 5:57 pm

skatterbrane wrote:And on the Camden LP it was in mono, right?

No, the song "Charro" was/is also in stereo on the 1970 Camden LP Almost In Love.

Tue May 21, 2013 10:10 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Great. Another interesting topic gone down the drain, man.

Maybe some of you don't understand what just happend or the seriousness of the crime. One member of this board tried to enjoy latest FTD release without even trying to "appreciate the aesthetic that FTD embraces with each terrific title" and without "a deep knowledge of the history"!

The son of b**** needed to be corrected.

Wed May 22, 2013 12:29 am

r&b wrote:Back to the topic at hand. What makes this FTD such a highly touted release? There is only a handful of titles on here and some are putrid movie songs, so why such a high rating. I already have some outtakes of the best 2 songs, US Male & Monkey Business. What justifies the 35.00 one would spend on this?

Speaking strictly for myself, I was raised on the "movie years." It's when I grew up. The movies (and their music) is why I became an Elvis fan. I enjoy the movie music. I want it, I'll enjoy it and I can afford it. That's justification enough for me.

Wed May 22, 2013 3:21 am

Well I'll be damned! Did you know my name was listed in the acknowledgments on the 2nd editon of Presleyana? Rod Kinkade. I supplied info on LSP2999 (page 147) and CPL1-1349 (page 106). My name is on page 3.

Wed May 22, 2013 3:50 am

JerryNodak wrote:
r&b wrote:Back to the topic at hand. What makes this FTD such a highly touted release? There is only a handful of titles on here and some are putrid movie songs, so why such a high rating. I already have some outtakes of the best 2 songs, US Male & Monkey Business. What justifies the 35.00 one would spend on this?

Speaking strictly for myself, I was raised on the "movie years." It's when I grew up. The movies (and their music) is why I became an Elvis fan. I enjoy the movie music. I want it, I'll enjoy it and I can afford it. That's justification enough for me.

I appreciate you answering Jerry, but I need to hear from a more unbiased. I've seen your posts here and elsewhere and I know you'd rather hear bland soundtracks over his rock and roll 50's classics. Songs that made Elvis, well, Elvis. I cannot take the opinion of someone who would put down All Shook Up and prefer over Blue Hawaii. Sorry, but again, thanks.

Wed May 22, 2013 4:35 am

Albert Goldman wrote:
Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Great. Another interesting topic gone down the drain, man.

Maybe some of you don't understand what just happend or the seriousness of the crime. One member of this board tried to enjoy latest FTD release without even trying to "appreciate the aesthetic that FTD embraces with each terrific title" and without "a deep knowledge of the history"!

The son of b**** needed to be corrected.

:lol:

Wed May 22, 2013 4:36 am

r&b wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:

I appreciate you answering Jerry, but I need to hear from a more unbiased. I've seen your posts here and elsewhere and I know you'd rather hear bland soundtracks over his rock and roll 50's classics. Songs that made Elvis, well, Elvis. I cannot take the opinion of someone who would put down All Shook Up and prefer over Blue Hawaii. Sorry, but again, thanks.

Well, he mentioned he was speaking strictly for himself in the first place.

Wed May 22, 2013 4:37 am

skatterbrane wrote:Well I'll be damned! Did you know my name was listed in the acknowledgments on the 2nd editon of Presleyana? Rod Kinkade. I supplied info on LSP2999 (page 147) and CPL1-1349 (page 106). My name is on page 3.

You da' man, Rod!

Wed May 22, 2013 5:07 am

If you feel "Too Much Monkey Business" and "U.S. Male" are the first high-water marks of Elvis' renaissance as one of the great rock 'n' roll artists, half of this collection offers them in various master and alternate versions, and have never sounded better. If you also find "All I Needed Was The Rain" and "Stay Away" as decent or better soundtrack cuts, they are here in best-ever sound as well, and use another third of the FTD release. It's not "Jailhouse Rock," but Elvis was finding his way home, and the journey is still neat to hear.

Plus, he swears a lot between takes. ;-)

Wed May 22, 2013 3:55 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

If you feel "Too Much Monkey Business" and "U.S. Male" are the first high-water marks of Elvis' renaissance as one of the great rock 'n' roll artists, half of this collection offers them in various master and alternate versions, and have never sounded better. If you also find "All I Needed Was The Rain" and "Stay Away" as decent or better soundtrack cuts, they are here in best-ever sound as well, and use another third of the FTD release. It's not "Jailhouse Rock," but Elvis was finding his way home, and the journey is still neat to hear.

Plus, he swears a lot between takes. ;-)

Thanks that's the answer I was looking for. I do like those songs you mention very much. However, it will still be hard for me to part with 35.00 on any CD featuring Dominic.

Wed May 22, 2013 5:37 pm

I recently got my hands also on this FTD and i liked it.

Everybody knows me as a normal fan for over almost 40+ years and i am not much into nerdie stuff or talk cause there is more in life then Elvis.
I didn't like all the songs but compared to other FTD's i liked songs number:

1,5,7,8,9,10 and 19.

Those are the great versions ones imo of the whole cd.

/ 10
I would also like to recommend the cd " You know, i don't "

Wed May 22, 2013 6:07 pm

OK but let's be honest... who skips over Dominic when it comes on? Raise your hands...

Wed May 22, 2013 6:12 pm

elvis-fan wrote:OK but let's be honest... who skips over Dominic when it comes on? Raise your hands...

Skip over it???.... you mean skip to it right?

I do that with the movie.

Wed May 22, 2013 6:16 pm

ekenee wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:OK but let's be honest... who skips over Dominic when it comes on? Raise your hands...

Skip over it???.... you mean skip to it right?

I do that with the movie.

I know... it's like a train wreck... you just can't stay away from it...

Wed May 22, 2013 6:29 pm

Doc's and Jerry Nodak's cogent replies notwithstanding, none of the discussion in the first four pages of this thread helped answer the question?

Skatterbrane, did you just discover your name in the credits? Why did you mention it in this thread? Just curious.

Wed May 22, 2013 6:37 pm

stevelecher wrote:

Doc's and Jerry Nodak's cogent replies notwithstanding, none of the discussion in the first four pages of this thread helped answer the question?

Skatterbrane, did you just discover your name in the credits? Why did you mention it in this thread? Just curious.

um, not really. Some people like everything that gets released.

Wed May 22, 2013 7:13 pm

moffringa wrote:I recently got my hands also on this FTD and i liked it.

Everybody knows me as a normal fan for over almost 40+ years and i am not much into nerdie stuff or talk cause there is more in life then Elvis.
I didn't like all the songs but compared to other FTD's i liked songs number:

1,5,7,8,9,10 and 19.

Those are the great versions ones imo of the whole cd.

/ 10
I would also like to recommend the cd " You know, i don't "

From this excellent cd 8), please find here below a rip of part of the audio (to not spoil the fun to possible buyers), that proves that Elvis really enjoyed the recording of Stay Away-Take 11 (Track 19) plus partial dialogue :wink:. Enjoy!. Bye for now :smt006.

http://www39.zippyshare.com/v/51467067/file.html

Wed May 22, 2013 7:59 pm

stevelecher wrote:

No, I have an original copy of that book, and noticed it back when I bought it new. I only mentioned it because the book was referenced as proof Charro 45 was in stereo, which I NEVER noticed until a link in this thread pointed it out to me.

When I owned the 45, I only had a mono record player, so I never noticed it was in Stereo before. I may have forgotten it was in stereo when I owned the Almost In Love LP, which, by then I did have a decent stereo.

Hey, my name is also listed on Webb Wilder's "More Like Me" CD in the special thanks section, for supplying guitar pickups on one of Webb's guitars he plays on the album. Though my last name is spelled wrong. Webb poses with a picture of Elvis on the back of the CD booklet too!

Thu May 23, 2013 9:56 am

I finally got to listen to this one and I must say, I'm really impressed by the sound. The booklet is also well done and the songs are not the worst ones Elvis recorded during the 1960s. So once again I have to say: THANK YOU, FTD! :D

Thu May 23, 2013 11:33 am

A. C. van Kuijk wrote:I finally got to listen to this one and I must say, I'm really impressed by the sound. The booklet is also well done and the songs are not the worst ones Elvis recorded during the 1960s. So once again I have to say: THANK YOU, FTD! :D

If we keep praising this excellent release it will become one of the most entretaining cd of the whole FTD catalogue 8). Bye for now :smt006.
Last edited by Mike Windgren on Thu May 23, 2013 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 23, 2013 3:58 pm

A winner all the way,thanks FTD