Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis Stereo ´57 SACD

Fri May 10, 2013 2:38 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

I have just received the latest Elvis Stereo ´57 SACD and I am very dissapointed and at the same time confused :?. There is a major drop-down in the sound on the last Mono song track 20 "Take My hand, Precious Lord" or it is a mastering fault?.

Before you ask I have played it on 3 different players and all have the same drop-down in the sound. I have these song in many Elvis cd and no drop-down in the sound.

All the SACD that I have when I put them on my Sony SACD player, they display that it is an Hybrid SACD (Nancy Sinatra, Frank Sinatra) except on the three Elvis SACD I have: Elvis Is Back/24 Karat Hits and Stereo ´57. They don´t display that they are SACD not even Hybrid :shock:.

Has anybody experienced this mastering fault on the Mono song track 20 and know why they don´t display like SACD or Hybrid on a SACD player?. I now very much doubt they are real Hybrid SACD. Thanks!. Bye for now :smt006.

Re: Elvis Stereo ´57 SACD

Fri May 10, 2013 2:57 pm

I have not heard Stereo '57 but I have no problems with 24K Hits or Elvis Is Back on my Oppo BD player. The sacd-layer plays fine.

Fri May 10, 2013 3:05 pm

Claus wrote:I have not heard Stereo '57 but I have no problems with 24K Hits or Elvis Is Back on my Oppo BD player. The sacd-layer plays fine.

I have no problem playing them the question is why the Elvis SACD don´t display as SACD but on the other hand the Sinatra´s SACD do! :shock:. Beside this there is what looks like a mastering fault on the song "Take My Hand, Precious Lord". Thanks! ::rocks. Bye for now :smt006.

Fri May 10, 2013 6:28 pm

How does the sound quality compare to the original cd release?

Fri May 10, 2013 8:04 pm

elbo51 wrote:How does the sound quality compare to the original cd release?

To me there is not too much difference in sound. The old binaural cd already sounded fantastic to me 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Fri May 10, 2013 11:33 pm

You probably got a faulty disc. The SACD light should turn on. On my player (if the disc is at fault) it will not even play a hybrid on the CD section either. Hybrid discs have more problems than pure SACD discs only. My experience. Will post here when I get mine. ::rocks

Fri May 10, 2013 11:45 pm

So you actually don't know if you're listening to the cd or the sacd layer?

Sat May 11, 2013 12:33 am

H there!! :D :D :D.

Claus wrote:So you actually don't know if you're listening to the cd or the sacd layer?

It display as cd and this happen to all my Elvis SACD, on the contrary the Sinatra´s display SACD :shock:. Bye for now :smt006.

Sat May 11, 2013 1:20 am

That sounds very strange. Does your player have a button which enables you to switch between the cd and the sacd-layer?

As Juan Luis says, the hybrid discs are harder to read for the player. I once had a player that would play certain hybrid disc but not all of them. I took it apart and cleaned the laser and while things improved it didn't fix the problem completely. I never had a problem with single-layered discs.

Sat May 11, 2013 1:55 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D
Claus wrote:That sounds very strange. Does your player have a button which enables you to switch between the cd and the sacd-layer?

As Juan Luis says, the hybrid discs are harder to read for the player. I once had a player that would play certain hybrid disc but not all of them. I took it apart and cleaned the laser and while things improved it didn't fix the problem completely. I never had a problem with single-layered discs.

Yes the player has a button to chose either cd or SACD and I have checked it now once again and it looks now that it works as a SACD displaying Hybrid disc, so or this Analogue brands SACD are very sensitive (no problem with the MOFI SACD´s) or I have problems with my player :?. The mastering fault on the song persist :cry:. Bye for now :smt006.

Sat May 11, 2013 2:43 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D .

Juan Luis wrote:You probably got a faulty disc. The SACD light should turn on. On my player (if the disc is at fault) it will not even play a hybrid on the CD section either. Hybrid discs have more problems than pure SACD discs only. My experience. Will post here when I get mine. ::rocks

Please let me know when you receive yours :wink:. Thanks!. Bye for now :smt006.

Sat May 11, 2013 10:22 am

The mastering problem on the last track IS there regretfuly, otherwise it isn't a huge improvement. I did an A-B with the SACD and cd('s) at the same time. Mastering on the Stereo 57 cd seems a bit louder on the binaural tracks, but the quality differs a lot on the mono tracks, there is some noice cancelling on 'Tell Me Why' on the SACD, original cd sounds better, but more 'digital'. The SACD is less brittle on Elvis voice (binaural), more natural - but very slightly ...
Overal if you don't have them, it saves you $30 a piece, and you won't miss a thing on all 3 SACD's, all come with flaws, even the cover-photo's are better on the original DCC and BMG cd's. nice collector items, but that's realy it .... :( Stick with your original cd's!

Sat May 11, 2013 12:06 pm

memphisflash wrote:The mastering problem on the last track IS there regretfuly, otherwise it isn't a huge improvement. I did an A-B with the SACD and cd('s) at the same time. Mastering on the Stereo 57 cd seems a bit louder on the binaural tracks, but the quality differs a lot on the mono tracks, there is some noice cancelling on 'Tell Me Why' on the SACD, original cd sounds better, but more 'digital'. The SACD is less brittle on Elvis voice (binaural), more natural - but very slightly ...
Overal if you don't have them, it saves you $30 a piece, and you won't miss a thing on all 3 SACD's, all come with flaws, even the cover-photo's are better on the original DCC and BMG cd's. nice collector items, but that's realy it .... :( Stick with your original cd's!

Thank you for confirming that the mastering fault on the song "Take my Hand, Precious Lord" is just not only on my copy ::rocks. Anybody else have checked this out?. Please let us know..... Bye for now :smt006.

Thu May 16, 2013 9:28 pm

There is a volume level problem with track 20, which plays at around 3 dB lower. The body of the album (the binaural takes) sound better than before. I hear more detail and the voices (elvis and jordanaires) sound very good. Anyway, as noted before, the original bob jones mastering does sound incredible too. To be fair to both masterings, I've made the comparison with the cd layer, not the SACD

Mon May 20, 2013 8:34 pm

I got this release today. I was not expecting much after reading these comments but apart from the mastering error in the last track I'm glad to say the SQ is excellent. There's a clear sound improvement over the original CD which doesn't sound bad to start with. I compared the SACD sound to the original CD on few tracks. The CD has tape hiss that's not on SACD (the hiss was never a problem in the first place IMO but it's almost gone now). But the biggest thing is the overall sound. Elvis and The Jordanaires sound incredible natural. The instruments are very clear too and sound very lifelike with clear highs and booming lows. This is probably the closest you'll ever get to experience how it was to sit in a Elvis Presley recording session. The sound is so clear and natural it's like this was captured on tape yesterday. Highly recomended if you have a SACD-player and a decent sound system.

Mon May 20, 2013 9:17 pm

Marko wrote:I got this release today. I was not expecting much after reading these comments but apart from the mastering error in the last track I'm glad to say the SQ is excellent. There's a clear sound improvement over the original CD which doesn't sound bad to start with. I compared the SACD sound to the original CD on few tracks. The CD has tape hiss that's not on SACD (the hiss was never a problem in the first place IMO but it's almost gone now). But the biggest thing is the overall sound. Elvis and The Jordanaires sound incredible natural. The instruments are very clear too and sound very lifelike with clear highs and booming lows. This is probably the closest you'll ever get to experience how it was to sit in a Elvis Presley recording session. The sound is so clear and natural it's like this was captured on tape yesterday. Highly recomended if you have a SACD-player and a decent sound system.

I agree but people must be aware there is a mastering fault on track 20 :shock:. Thanks!. Bye for now :smt006.

Mon May 20, 2013 9:39 pm

Marko wrote: The CD has tape hiss that's not on SACD (the hiss was never a problem in the first place IMO but it's almost gone now).

Gone, along with the full dynamics of the music & Elvis' voice I guess. Hiss/Noise Reduction is not a good thing. Unless reduction technology has improved to the degree that it doesn't compromise the recording at all? The human ear can adjust to a constant low-level background noise (eg natural tape hiss on older recordings), but it cannot bring back lost sound destroyed by Noise Reduction.:(

Mon May 20, 2013 10:25 pm

King Volcano wrote:
Marko wrote: The CD has tape hiss that's not on SACD (the hiss was never a problem in the first place IMO but it's almost gone now).

Gone, along with the full dynamics of the music & Elvis' voice I guess. Hiss/Noise Reduction is not a good thing. Unless reduction technology has improved to the degree that it doesn't compromise the recording at all? The human ear can adjust to a constant low-level background noise (eg natural tape hiss on older recordings), but it cannot bring back lost sound destroyed by Noise Reduction.:(

Have you actually listened to the SACD?

Tue May 21, 2013 2:21 am

Marko wrote:
King Volcano wrote:

No, that's why I wrote "I guess". I was making an observation/opinion/"guess" based on the interesting facts you supplied. Apologies if that's somehow offensive. If I wanted to be offensive, I would say "SACD sucks, and is a con, which is why the format is virtually dead"

Tue May 21, 2013 3:07 am

Marko wrote:I got this release today. I was not expecting much after reading these comments but apart from the mastering error in the last track I'm glad to say the SQ is excellent. There's a clear sound improvement over the original CD which doesn't sound bad to start with. I compared the SACD sound to the original CD on few tracks. The CD has tape hiss that's not on SACD (the hiss was never a problem in the first place IMO but it's almost gone now). But the biggest thing is the overall sound. Elvis and The Jordanaires sound incredible natural. The instruments are very clear too and sound very lifelike with clear highs and booming lows. This is probably the closest you'll ever get to experience how it was to sit in a Elvis Presley recording session. The sound is so clear and natural it's like this was captured on tape yesterday. Highly recomended if you have a SACD-player and a decent sound system.

Can't wait to get my copy. This really makes me think that Boppin' Bob Jones printed his mastering to analog before digitizing. Thus lower noise floor and higher dynamic range one expects from high resolution audio via (this case) DSD to play on SACD.!

Tue May 21, 2013 12:08 pm

King Volcano wrote:
Marko wrote:
King Volcano wrote:

No, that's why I wrote "I guess". I was making an observation/opinion/"guess" based on the interesting facts you supplied. Apologies if that's somehow offensive. If I wanted to be offensive, I would say "SACD sucks, and is a con, which is why the format is virtually dead"

No offence, mate. It's just strange that someone would form an opinion about a record they've not heard.

The SACD's SQ is not ruined by a noise reduction. The dynamics are better than on the regular CD.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:11 am

Got it! Sounds great to me. More open and not as in your face like the CD. This probably has to do with a larger soundstage. I can hear the hiss, just not as prominent. I am happy to have both versions.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:45 pm

Juan Luis wrote:Got it! Sounds great to me. More open and not as in your face like the CD. This probably has to do with a larger soundstage. I can hear the hiss, just not as prominent. I am happy to have both versions.

Glad you enjoyed it. The hiss is there but much less so than on CD.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:35 pm

memphisflash wrote:The mastering problem on the last track IS there regretfuly, otherwise it isn't a huge improvement. I did an A-B with the SACD and cd('s) at the same time. Mastering on the Stereo 57 cd seems a bit louder on the binaural tracks, but the quality differs a lot on the mono tracks, there is some noice cancelling on 'Tell Me Why' on the SACD, original cd sounds better, but more 'digital'. The SACD is less brittle on Elvis voice (binaural), more natural - but very slightly ...

Does this now mean we are going to have to replece all our hundreds of CD's with SACD's now, just loike we did with records, cassettes, 8 tracks, 78's, etc, etc? I think I'll stick with what I've got. It'll take at least another 20 years to get everything all over again via SACD.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:42 pm

Tony.. wrote:

Does this now mean we are going to have to replece all our hundreds of CD's with SACD's now, just loike we did with records, cassettes, 8 tracks, 78's, etc, etc? I think I'll stick with what I've got. It'll take at least another 20 years to get everything all over again via SACD.

Good luck- i sure am lookn for ward to new material by The King - Its totally up to you what you do as its not mandatory to replace ya collection - In future Tony please be a little more optimistic on what you reply here as its getting a bit tedious on ya replies -Just Think before yu put ya replies -Just a little advice from me and please be kind on ya replies and do not diss every one who tries their best in their projects Ok - Thats all i have ta say at the moment to you Tony - There is too much dissn n bitchn on this board as it is from certain fans .Theres no need for it - Thanks -