Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Best Of 70's studio masters cd for mainstream

Fri May 10, 2013 3:11 am

Sony should have chosen a Best of the 70's studio tracks instead of Best of Stax. This would have made for a much better listening experience and potential chart success. Much better route than the one that they chose.

I Washed My hands In Muddy Water
Faded Love
Tomorrow Never Comes
Bridge Over Troubled Water
The Next Step Is Love
You Don't Have To Say You Love Me
Just Pretend
I'm Leavin'
It's Only Love
Separate Ways
Always On My Mind
Burning Love
If You Don't Come Back
I've Got A Thing About You Baby
Promised Land
If You Talk In Your Sleep
Thinking About You
My Boy
I Got A Feeling In My Body
It's Midnight
T-R-O-U-B-L-E
Shake A Hand
Pieces Of My Life
Hurt
For The Heart
Moody Blue
Way Down

Re: Best Of 70's studio masters cd for mainstream

Sat May 11, 2013 5:55 am

Polk salad
Burning love
See see rider (on stage)
I really don't want to know
Unchained melody
American trilogy
Snowbird
My way (aloha)
Washed my hands
Bridge
Mary in the morning
You gave me a mountain (aloha)
Tomorrow never comes
You don't have to say you love me
You've lost
Always on my mind
Good time Charlie
My boy
How great thou art (live)
Trouble
Moody blue
For the heart
Whole lot of shaking

Sat May 11, 2013 7:24 am

Just go with Disc 4 of ELVIS 75: Good Rockin' Tonight... that about covers it and all the tracks have been remastered by VA.

Sat May 11, 2013 4:25 pm

I think both lists are close to being spot on, great to see MY BOY in both lists too ........
also like Disc 3 from AOTC , still a great 3 cd set ...........

If I Can Dream
In The Ghetto
Suspicious Minds
Don't Cry Daddy
I'll Hold You In My Heart
Stranger In My Own Home Town
After Loving You
Only The Strong Survive
The Wonder Of You
Polk Salad Annie
I've Lost You
I Just Can't Help Believin'
Merry Christmas Baby
I'm Leavin'
An American Trilogy
Burning Love
Always On My Mind
Promised Land
For The Heart

forgive the couple of late 60s to start, but they are great songs so it counts i guess .........

Sat May 11, 2013 4:48 pm

Doc ? midnightx ? care to chime in ?

Sat May 11, 2013 5:36 pm

If this should be a mainstream release instead of FTD, it would be the most complete 70's hit collection.
49 tracks, the best well known tracks of Elvis' 70's output.
It has it all, the hits, the singles.

Still, it's an FTD i really REALLY like!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat May 11, 2013 6:02 pm

This covers all essential bases (hit singles; key album tracks; live highlights) in 40 songs.

The Wonder of You
See See Rider
Polk Salad Annie
Bridge Over Troubled Water
Just Pretend
I Just Can't Help Believin'
Tomorrow Never Comes
I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water
I Really Don't Want To Know
Faded Love
Got My Mojo Workin'
I'm Leavin'
Merry Christmas Baby
Early Morning Rain
It's Still Here
Don't Think Twice, It's Alright
American Trilogy
I Can't Stop Loving You
Burning Love
Separate Ways
Always On My Mind
You Gave Me A Mountain
Steamroller Blues
I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
For Ol' Times Sake
I've Got A Thing About You Baby
Lovin' Arms
Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues
Promised Land
If You Talk In Your Sleep
My Boy
T*R*O*U*B*L*E
Shake A Hand
I Can Help
Hurt
Danny Boy
Way Down
Unchained Melody
My Way

Sat May 11, 2013 6:14 pm

I had originally included Are You Sincere? and forgot about Tomorrow Never Comes, but when I remembered TNC I put it on the list in place of AYS? (I've never quite gotten why AYS? has been so acclaimed).

Sat May 11, 2013 7:30 pm

Let me do this:

The Sound Of Your Cry (complete Take 3)
This Is Our Dance
Life
Heart Of Rome
Love Letters (remake)
Sylvia
Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On (unedited master)
Padre
Winter Wonderland
A Thing Called Love
We Can Make The Morning
Love Me, Love The Life I Lead
There Is No God But God
My Way
Fool (unedited master - for Tony..)
No More (Version 2)
If You Don't Come Back
Three Corn Patches
Take Good Care Of Her
Girl Of Mine
It's Midnight
Mr. Songman
Love Song Of The Year
My Boy
Let Me Be There (live March 20, 1974)
Elvis monologue (live September 2, 1974 c.s.)
Fairytale (unedited master - also for Tony..)
Woman Without Love
The Last Farewell
I'll Never Fall In Love Again
Never Again
Love Coming Down
Feelings (previously unreleased)
Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain
It's Easy For You
Little Darlin' (live April 24, 1977)
If You Love Me (Let Me Know) (live April 26, 1977)
Are You Lonesome Tonight? (live June 21, 1977)
Hound Dog (live June 21, 1977)

Sat May 11, 2013 10:58 pm

I didn't read the thread title carefully enough. The idea was supposed to be the best 70's studio masters. Duh!

Mon May 13, 2013 11:08 am

Okay, then add the live recordings as bonus tracks. :P

Mon May 13, 2013 12:33 pm

Pete Dube wrote:I had originally included Are You Sincere? and forgot about Tomorrow Never Comes, but when I remembered TNC I put it on the list in place of AYS? (I've never quite gotten why AYS? has been so acclaimed).

It's superior to many of the other tracks from that somewhat underwhelming period because Presley sings simply and well: his intimate vocal is perfect for the song.

The stripped down "Platinum" release is the best to my ears, because it highlights the voice.

Actually, if you listen to almost all of the summer/autumn '73 recordings in undubbed, un-edited format they sound better than the finished masters, to me anyway.

Mon May 13, 2013 12:43 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:Sony should have chosen a Best of the 70's studio tracks instead of Best of Stax. This would have made for a much better listening experience and potential chart success. Much better route than the one that they chose.

Not from a retail point of view. The whole point of collecting Elvis' work at Stax is the 40th anniversary as a major selling point. That is how you move units by an artist dead over 35 years.

Mon May 13, 2013 12:44 pm

George Smith wrote:
Pete Dube wrote:I had originally included Are You Sincere? and forgot about Tomorrow Never Comes, but when I remembered TNC I put it on the list in place of AYS? (I've never quite gotten why AYS? has been so acclaimed).

It's superior to many of the other tracks from that somewhat underwhelming period because Presley sings simply and well: his intimate vocal is perfect for the song.

The stripped down "Platinum" release is the best to my ears, because it highlights the voice.

Actually, if you listen to almost all of the summer/autumn '73 recordings in undubbed, un-edited format they sound better than the finished masters, to me anyway.

As always, your comments are spot-on. The version of "Are You Sincere" released on Platinum is the best ever.

Mon May 13, 2013 2:15 pm

That's kind, John, thank you.

I do have a definite soft-spot for the Stax sessions because even from a young age I realised that the three finished albums could have been improved upon with a more adventurous sound (less sweetening) and a more focused programme (two LPs, not three).

Bizarrely, at home I'm very happy to listen my own version of the "Raised on Rock" LP, a twelve track effort that I called "In The Back Room". I've used stripped down masters and outtakes throughout, except for the finished master of "I've Got A Thing About You, Baby" which is charming.

I can't change the songs Elvis recorded and I can't make him sing with more venom but it's a much more enjoyable listen with less bombast, polish and varnish.

Mon May 13, 2013 2:25 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Not from a retail point of view. The whole point of collecting Elvis' work at Stax is the 40th anniversary as a major selling point.

If only the original sessions were worthy of such an honour.

Mon May 13, 2013 4:32 pm

George Smith wrote:

I like the version of AYS? on Platinum. It's got a nice after hours feel to it. But I still find Tomorrow Never Comes to be the superior song/performance.

Mon May 13, 2013 6:06 pm

George Smith wrote:I can't change the songs Elvis recorded and I can't make him sing with more venom but it's a much more enjoyable listen with less bombast, polish and varnish.

Note: but for Take Good Care Of Her, Girl Of Mine and I've Got A Thing About You Baby the remaining July '73 masters are without overdubs anyway.

Mon May 13, 2013 6:27 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:
George Smith wrote:I can't change the songs Elvis recorded and I can't make him sing with more venom but it's a much more enjoyable listen with less bombast, polish and varnish.

Note: but for Take Good Care Of Her, Girl Of Mine and I've Got A Thing About You Baby the remaining July '73 masters are without overdubs anyway.

I'm including the home-recorded ballads (without vocal back-up) which adds three to your list.

I'm also talking about unedited takes like "Three Corn Patches" where the song (almost) catches fire during the end part and re-instating the proper kick-drum intro and longer outro to "If You Don't Come Back".

By also adding some count-ins and a little studio chat (and trying to remove the aura of fake sheen) it makes the project less pretentious and more intimate: it stops trying be a glossy rock 'n' soul album and goes back to being a simple collection of songs sung by a guy who wasn't looking to stop the world but just needed to lay down a few tracks to get an album out there.

Naming the LP "Raised on Rock" was a massive error: "Elvis: In the Back Room" kinda captures the spirit better for me.

Lots of little changes like this make the LP more enjoyable to me, but I concede that this is all a matter of personal taste.

Mon May 13, 2013 6:37 pm

Matthew wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Not from a retail point of view. The whole point of collecting Elvis' work at Stax is the 40th anniversary as a major selling point.

Exactly. It doesn't take much sophistication to understand the marketing reasons for compiling a release of material that is undoubtedly designed in part to create consumer confusion in order to sell additional units that might not normally occur; particularly when a significant portion of the music in question is not worthy of being included in a celebratory type of release. That said, the work of a label is not only to sell music, but also to create marketable product that protects and enhances the artistic reputation and legacy of the dead artist in question. This current release goes back to the premise used for generations with Elvis - sell music regardless of quality and market saturation. For every creative idea Ernst conceived of and was able to develop, the label managing the catalogue always went forward with other thoughtless, short term money-making schemes to make short term profits regardless of how the mismanagement impacted the catalogue and Elvis' legacy. It diluted a lot of the good that was done. There isn't one way to manage a catalogue and one way to sell product and make money. The release philosophy for Elvis has been in place for so long, that no one at this point is willing to alter it because of its ability to create revenue streams. This upcoming release is not a necessary evil in keeping the catalogue generating revenues; it is just a ill-conceived idea that falls in line with so many others that have been developed over the years with a priority not in Elvis' best artistic interest.

Mon May 13, 2013 6:42 pm

midnightx wrote:
Matthew wrote:

Exactly. It doesn't take much sophistication to understand the marketing reasons for compiling a release of material that is undoubtedly designed in part to create consumer confusion in order to sell additional units that might not normally occur; particularly when a significant portion of the music in question is not worthy of being included in a celebratory type of release. That said, the work of a label is not only to sell music, but also to create marketable product that protects and enhances the artistic reputation and legacy of the dead artist in question. This current release goes back to the premise used for generations with Elvis - sell music regardless of quality and market saturation. For every creative idea Ernst conceived of and was able to develop, the label managing the catalogue always went forward with other thoughtless, short term money-making schemes to make short term profits regardless of how the mismanagement impacted the catalogue and Elvis' legacy. It diluted a lot of the good that was done. There isn't one way to manage a catalogue and one way to sell product and make money. The release philosophy for Elvis has been in place for so long, that no one at this point is willing to alter it because of its ability to create revenue streams. This upcoming release is not a necessary evil in keeping the catalogue generating revenues; it is just a ill-conceived idea that falls in line with so many others that have been developed over the years with a priority not in Elvis' best artistic interest.

It seems each year there is always an imperative to get something out there, so the Stax release seems to be a necessary evil, the anniversary befitting the idea. Some of the original sessions are excellent, and let's hope those come through to a casual entrant, or to a more-committed fan like the one Number Eight so aptly described a few posts back. There's really nothing else you can do. Tomorrow is a long time.

Mon May 13, 2013 7:06 pm

The best of the 70s masters could easily be done without going beyond September 22nd, 1970! I would include 85% of the masters from June and Sept 1970.
Beyond that, here are my choices for the better of what came starting in 1971:

Early Mornin' Rain
(That's What You Get) For Lovin' Me
Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
Help Me Make It Through the Night
It's Still Here
I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen
I Will Be True
I'm Leavin'
We Can Make the Morning
It's Impossible
American Trilogy
Separate Ways
For the Good Times
Burning Love
Always on My Mind
If You Don't Come Back
Take Good Care of Her
Find Out What's Happening
I've Got a Thing About You Baby
Just a Little Bit
For Ol' Times Sake
Sweet Angeline
I Miss You
Are You Sincere
I Got a Feelin' in My Body
You Asked Me To
If You Talk in Your Sleep
Thinking About You
Help Me
Loving Arms
Good Time Charlie's Got the Blues
Promised Land
Spanish Eyes
She Wears My Ring
Fairytale
Green, Green Grass of Home
I Can Help
And I Love You So
T-R-O-U-B-L-E
Bitter They Are, Harder They Fall
She Thinks I Still Care
Moody Blue
I'll Never Fall in Love Again
For the Heart
Hurt
Danny Boy
BlueEyes Crying in the Rain
It's Easy for You
Way Down
Pledging My Love
He'll Have to Go
Unchained Melody

Mon May 13, 2013 7:20 pm

Regarding Are You Sincere? from the Platinum set, I totallly agree it is the best ever version. I use that one for my own compilations when I want to listen to that song by Elvis! :)

Mon May 13, 2013 7:26 pm

bajo wrote:Regarding Are You Sincere? from the Platinum set, I totallly agree it is the best ever version. I use that one for my own compilations when I want to listen to that song by Elvis! :)

That cut is actually one I can honestly state I played for someone who is not an Elvis fan, and they were REALLY impressed. They didn't think anything he did after the 1950s was worthwhile.

Mon May 13, 2013 9:01 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:Sony should have chosen a Best of the 70's studio tracks instead of Best of Stax. This would have made for a much better listening experience and potential chart success. Much better route than the one that they chose.

Not from a retail point of view. The whole point of collecting Elvis' work at Stax is the 40th anniversary as a major selling point. That is how you move units by an artist dead over 35 years.

If only Elvis would sell nowadays........