Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

rlj4ep
Registered for: 19 years 6 months
Mood:

Re: Polk Salad Annie VS Polk Salad ?

Post by rlj4ep »

Rob wrote:Be nice to Annie. She's had problems that she is getting help for. Her shiftless father was down in the back (or so he said), her brothers weren't worth a damn, mom was part of a chain gang for years and grandma was eaten by an alligator.

For all she's been through, she is still hanging in there.
L O L :smt003

promiseland
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by promiseland »

rlj4ep wrote:
Robert wrote:Polk salad was always a highlight, even towards the end.
In 76/77 the band took over most of the action though.

In Philly 1977 for example, the TCB band was hitting it hard, but the visuals were quite sad to watch.
Having been present at a number of Elvis' Philly concerts, the 1977 performace of Polk (on 5/28/77) was difficult to watch. You are correct the band was amazing, but you could see something wasn't right with him. The moves were slow and at one point Elvis seemed, to me at least, to be grimicing as he tried to go down for one move. When compared to the performance Elvis gave of Polk in 1971 which I saw, the 1971 version outshines 77. That 1971 performace was amazing. So much energy, with the band doing it's best to keep up with Elvis.
That being said, I guess I would say Elvis in 1971 doing Polk would be my favorite. Wasn't as "fast" as MSG, but wasn't as "slow" as 1970. For me, 1971 version is a nice pace and performace.

rlj
Could you please elaborate just exactly what Elvis was doing that was causing the band such a problem to keep up?

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
Registered for: 20 years

Post by fn2drive »

promiseland wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:

In Philly 1977 for example, the TCB band was hitting it hard, but the visuals were quite sad to watch.
Having been present at a number of Elvis' Philly concerts, the 1977 performace of Polk (on 5/28/77) was difficult to watch. You are correct the band was amazing, but you could see something wasn't right with him. The moves were slow and at one point Elvis seemed, to me at least, to be
grimicing as he tried to go down for one move. When compared to the performance Elvis gave of Polk in 1971 which I saw, the 1971 version outshines 77. That 1971 performace was amazing. So much energy, with the band doing it's best to keep up with Elvis.
That being said, I guess I would say Elvis in 1971 doing Polk would be my favorite. Wasn't as "fast" as MSG, but wasn't as "slow" as 1970. For me, 1971 version is a nice pace and performace.

rlj
Could you please elaborate just exactly what Elvis was doing that was causing the band such a problem to keep up?

I too had the luxury of attending Phil,'71. Elvis was shot out of a cannon. Elvis was often described as a tiger on stage. On that Nov night, he paced and pawed all night. It was like watching a big cat in captivity waiting to strike its captors. An strike he did over and over for 50 minutes. Every instinct in use and every sense on high alert. The band never really stood a chance. I have never seen anything approach what Elvis did that night in the 40 years since.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward

promiseland
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by promiseland »

fn2drive wrote:
promiseland wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:

Having been present at a number of Elvis' Philly concerts, the 1977 performace of Polk (on 5/28/77) was difficult to watch. You are correct the band was amazing, but you could see something wasn't right with him. The moves were slow and at one point Elvis seemed, to me at least, to be
grimicing as he tried to go down for one move. When compared to the performance Elvis gave of Polk in 1971 which I saw, the 1971 version outshines 77. That 1971 performace was amazing. So much energy, with the band doing it's best to keep up with Elvis.

rlj

I too had the luxury of attending Phil,'71. Elvis was shot out of a cannon. Elvis was often described as a tiger on stage. On that Nov night, he paced and pawed all night. It was like watching a big cat in captivity waiting to strike its captors. An strike he did over and over for 50 minutes. Every instinct in use and every sense on high alert. The band never really stood a chance. I have never seen anything approach what Elvis did that night in the 40 years since.
I'm surprised the band didn't walk off the stage it must have been a nightmare for them.
Thank God there were no wildebeest in the audience :roll:

rlj4ep
Registered for: 19 years 6 months
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

promiseland wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:

Having been present at a number of Elvis' Philly concerts, the 1977 performace of Polk (on 5/28/77) was difficult to watch. You are correct the band was amazing, but you could see something wasn't right with him. The moves were slow and at one point Elvis seemed, to me at least, to be grimicing as he tried to go down for one move. When compared to the performance Elvis gave of Polk in 1971 which I saw, the 1971 version outshines 77. That 1971 performace was amazing. So much energy, with the band doing it's best to keep up with Elvis.

rlj

promiseland, I am speaking in hyperbole to describe the energy level Elvis had that evening in Philly. I am not using that phrase in the sense that the band was anything but awesome that night; for they were awesome! From the time Elvis took the stage he was in constant motion. He was moving his legs, his hips, his arms, laying on the concert stage, dangling his legs over the audience, turning around to the crowd behind the stage, and karate moves during several songs. The statement was used to explain Elvis' energy level that evening which was at times, "indescribable." :wink:

As fn2drive correctly remembers, it was like Elvis was "shot out of a canon." I had the privilege of seeing Elvis a few more times in the 1970's, and the other concerts didn't come close to the energy level he demonstrated that cold, rainy Monday evening in Philly on November 8, 1971.

rlj

rlj

r&b

Post by r&b »

rlj4ep wrote:
promiseland wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:

rlj

promiseland, I am speaking in hyperbole to describe the energy level Elvis had that evening in Philly. I am not using that phrase in the sense that the band was anything but awesome that night; for they were awesome! From the time Elvis took the stage he was in constant motion. He was moving his legs, his hips, his arms, laying on the concert stage, dangling his legs over the audience, turning around to the crowd behind the stage, and karate moves during several songs. The statement was used to explain Elvis' energy level that evening which was at times, "indescribable." :wink:

As fn2drive correctly remembers, it was like Elvis was "shot out of a canon." I had the privilege of seeing Elvis a few more times in the 1970's, and the other concerts didn't come close to the energy level he demonstrated that cold, rainy Monday evening in Philly on November 8, 1971.

rlj

rlj
He certainly was not like that just 1 year later when I saw him at MSG.

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by minkahed »

I listened to the "Red Hot In Richmond" version yesterday and was blown away by the intensity, energy and enthusiasm in Elvis' voice.

You can tell they were cooking, especially after the solo and Elvis says, "Get it baby ..."

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Lohmax
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Post by Lohmax »

Polk Salad Annie is what I consider Elvis' coolest song, so i don't dislike any version. However, I think in 72 it seemed a bit rushed. As a former drummer, the 74 versions are quite nice to hear and especially the later ones such as on Spring Tours 77 are absolutely brilliant (great groove there). Generally, I prefer the post-June 75 versions in terms of arrangement, even though it gets a bit free-style in August 75 and every musician seems to go wild there (but what a 70s funk vibe!). Polk Salad (Annie) is one of the few highlights of is last year on Earth, when he put up the energy of doing that song.

I'd like to add that I love the version on Holding Back the Years, especially around the "Lord I hope it don't go" part. The Sweets are doing a perfect job on that song.

Image Image Image

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by Robert »

Lohmax wrote:Polk Salad Annie is what I consider Elvis' coolest song, so i don't dislike any version. However, I think in 72 it seemed a bit rushed. As a former drummer, the 74 versions are quite nice to hear and especially the later ones such as on Spring Tours 77 are absolutely brilliant (great groove there). Generally, I prefer the post-June 75 versions in terms of arrangement, even though it gets a bit free-style in August 75 and every musician seems to go wild there (but what a 70s funk vibe!). Polk Salad (Annie) is one of the few highlights of is last year on Earth, when he put up the energy of doing that song.

I'd like to add that I love the version on Holding Back the Years, especially around the "Lord I hope it don't go" part. The Sweets are doing a perfect job on that song.

Agree.
Listening to the 76/77 arrangement makes you realize Elvis and the band had so much more to offer from a musical standpoint.
The break towards the end offers some fantastic musical display by James, Jerry and Ronnie.

I mean, how much can you milk out of some of the lame country material such as 'If you love me' or 'Funny how time slips away'?

r&b

Post by r&b »

Elvis picked the lamest material for his shows after 1970, thus becoming the most overrated performer in concert in that decade. He was boring at times with the same stuff he was doing over and over. It also ,I think , had an effect on his record sales. A great single like Promised land basically went unnoticed by radio.

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
Registered for: 20 years

Post by fn2drive »

r&b wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:
promiseland wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:

rlj

rlj

rlj
He certainly was not like that just 1 year later when I saw him at MSG.

I saw him at MSG just 7 months later as well and I agree he was a completely different performer. That November tour marked the beginning of the end. Yes many fine performances after that but November 71 was the absolute peak of his powers in major arenas.
I never forget how lucky I was to see him there.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward

Guy Lambert
Banned - Multiple User Names
Registered for: 10 years 10 months

Post by Guy Lambert »

I like the '77 versions. those arent to fast, and not to slow either

when your weary, Feeling Small, When Tears Are In Your Eyes, I Will Give u a Scarf - June 26 1977

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Guy Lambert wrote:I like the '77 versions. those arent to fast, and not to slow either
Unfortunately, they aren't too good, either.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Guy Lambert

Post by Guy Lambert »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Guy Lambert wrote:I like the '77 versions. those arent to fast, and not to slow either
They are good for me, Doc..

when your weary, Feeling Small, When Tears Are In Your Eyes, I Will Give u a Scarf - June 26 1977

drjohncarpenter

Guy Lambert wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
What are your feelings on Tony Joe White's original 1969 single or Elvis' performances between January and September 1970?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Guy Lambert

Post by Guy Lambert »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Guy Lambert wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
What are your feelings on Tony Joe White's original 1969 single or Elvis' performances between January and September 1970?
I like elvis versions better, tony's version is just ok.

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by Robert »

The 1977 arrangement is fantastic.
The band was great and maybe better than ever.
The problem lies in Elvis physics.

Even Ronnie Tutt mentioned Elvis wasn't able to perform the song the way it should have been towards the end.

drjohncarpenter

Guy Lambert wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:What are your feelings on Tony Joe White's original 1969 single or Elvis' performances between January and September 1970?
Interesting.

So, how do you rate Elvis' performances between January and September 1970 compared to those in 1977?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Guy Lambert

Post by Guy Lambert »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Guy Lambert wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:What are your feelings on Tony Joe White's original 1969 single or Elvis' performances between January and September 1970?
Interesting.

So, how do you rate Elvis' performances between January and September 1970 compared to those in 1977?
I like em, but for my taste they are to slow.

r&b

Post by r&b »

Guy Lambert wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Guy Lambert wrote:
Interesting.

The song should have been retired after 1971. Elvis just kept revisiting songs when he should have learned new material. He even had recorded new TJW songs, yet kept coming back to this. Lazy. The song was really no longer relevant actually after TTWII cause it would never be topped after that. Even in EOT , it shows a difference in just 2 years.
Last edited by r&b on Sat May 11, 2013 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drjohncarpenter

Guy Lambert wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Interesting.

That's actually the way it was supposed to be played. Thanks, though.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.