Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
dennyelvis
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Polk Salad Annie VS Polk Salad ?

Post by dennyelvis »

I always consider this to be one of his cooler live renditions, but which version do u prefer ? the 70/72 slower version with rambling intro [thats me] or the post 72 quicker versions ? did he infact go off the song abit, and rush it too much ?

The image is one thing and the human being is another. It’s very hard to live up to an image, put it that way.

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Re: Polk Salad Annie VS Polk Salad ?

Post by Robert »

Polk salad was always a highlight, even towards the end.
In 76/77 the band took over most of the action though.

In Philly 1977 for example, the TCB band was hitting it hard, but the visuals were quite sad to watch.

SUN-RCA

Post by SUN-RCA »

#1 Fave is ELVIS 1970 version on That's The Way It Is.
I do like other versions like the MSG performances but Nothing after that awesome live performance from TTWII comes close.

Rob

Post by Rob »

Do you like the version on the Elvis In Concert album?

rlj4ep
Registered for: 19 years 7 months
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

Robert wrote:Polk salad was always a highlight, even towards the end.

In Philly 1977 for example, the TCB band was hitting it hard, but the visuals were quite sad to watch.
Having been present at a number of Elvis' Philly concerts, the 1977 performace of Polk (on 5/28/77) was difficult to watch. You are correct the band was amazing, but you could see something wasn't right with him. The moves were slow and at one point Elvis seemed, to me at least, to be grimicing as he tried to go down for one move. When compared to the performance Elvis gave of Polk in 1971 which I saw, the 1971 version outshines 77. That 1971 performace was amazing. So much energy, with the band doing it's best to keep up with Elvis.

That being said, I guess I would say Elvis in 1971 doing Polk would be my favorite. Wasn't as "fast" as MSG, but wasn't as "slow" as 1970. For me, 1971 version is a nice pace and performace.

rlj

SUN-RCA

Post by SUN-RCA »

Rob wrote:Do you like the version on the Elvis In Concert album?

Now i know your pulling my leg Rob....good one. :lol:

Robert

Post by Robert »

rlj4ep wrote:

Having been present at a number of Elvis' Philly concerts, the 1977 performace of Polk (on 5/28/77) was difficult to watch. You are correct the band was amazing, but you could see something wasn't right with him. The moves were slow and at one point Elvis seemed, to me at least, to be grimicing as he tried to go down for one move. When compared to the performance Elvis gave of Polk in 1971 which I saw, the 1971 version outshines 77. That 1971 performace was amazing. So much energy, with the band doing it's best to keep up with Elvis.

That being said, I guess I would say Elvis in 1971 doing Polk would be my favorite. Wasn't as "fast" as MSG, but wasn't as "slow" as 1970. For me, 1971 version is a nice pace and performace.

rlj
1971 must have been great!
Wasn't jerome monroe on drums?

Topic author
dennyelvis

Post by dennyelvis »

rlj4ep wrote:

rlj
Well said, those who say he was done by 71, PLEASE WATCH THAT VERSION ! also as u say he had the tempo about perfect too ..........

The image is one thing and the human being is another. It’s very hard to live up to an image, put it that way.

rlj4ep
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

Robert wrote: 1971 must have been great!
Wasn't jerome monroe on drums?

Yes, Jermone Monroe was on drums that evening. He actually did a wonderful as I recall.

rlj

JimmyCool
Registered for: 16 years 4 months
Mood:

Post by JimmyCool »

I've always liked the MSG version (ES).

Note: This post is intended solely for FECC forum readers. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this post is strictly prohibited.

flamingstar81
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Mood:

Post by flamingstar81 »

JimmyCool wrote:I've always liked the MSG version (ES).
I enjoy all versions of polk salad Annie from 1970-77, it's always been a concert highlight for me. Yes I agree, the MSG versions are fantastic, especially from the prince from another planet release with the sound turned up loud!

Classic 1970's Elvis ::rocks

"The image is one thing and the human being is another...it's very hard to live up to an image, I'll put it that way"

Elvis at the New York Madison Square Garden press conference, June 9th, 1972.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

dennyelvis wrote:I always consider this to be one of his cooler live renditions, but which version do u prefer ? the 70/72 slower version with rambling intro [thats me] or the post 72 quicker versions ? did he infact go off the song abit, and rush it too much ?
After Elvis' summer 1970 stage performances, the tempo of "Polk Salad Annie" was so rushed it ceased being the unique, swampy song Tony Joe White unleashed in 1969. It could have been anything, roaring along in 4/4.

So, what fans got between January and September 1970 is it.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Mike Eder

Post by Mike Eder »

I still enjoy them in late 1970 and 71-72. 2-70 is the best by far though. He always tried somewhat on this but it got kind of sad by August 1975 and lacked any real fire the last four and a half years.

Mike Eder

FrankieRider2
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by FrankieRider2 »

Well, I too love the 1970 renditions and they are more visual; the August 1970 TTWII versions are my favorites. I think my favorite version that I witnessed was Tuscaloosa 1971. Loved the funky spoken opening and the tempo is near perfect. I can still hear the little cool "hiccup" he did as he transitioned into the first verse. Fabulous! Closest thing I have heard to how it sounded was the bonus take on the FTD An American Trilogy. But that version does not have the monologue.

I've often wondered if the song after 1972 might have been better if he had went back to the spoken intro?

Kenneth
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by Kenneth »

FrankieRider2 wrote:Well, I too love the 1970 renditions and they are more visual; the August 1970 TTWII versions are my favorites. I think my favorite version that I witnessed was Tuscaloosa 1971. Loved the funky spoken opening and the tempo is near perfect. I can still hear the little cool "hiccup" he did as he transitioned into the first verse. Fabulous! Closest thing I have heard to how it sounded was the bonus take on the FTD An American Trilogy. But that version does not have the monologue.

I've often wondered if the song after 1972 might have been better if he had went back to the spoken intro?
Tuscaloosa yeah, despite the bad audience copy I have this is probably the best show I have heard from 1971. As a tour show with THAT great set list and our man in great visual shape and a rest of his great 1970 form...maybe his best tour show ever from 1970-1977???

Kenneth

FrankieRider2

Post by FrankieRider2 »

Kenneth, it would have to be in the running no doubt. As my first Elvis concert, it set the bar really high. We saw him in April and June '72 also, but in Tuscaloosa he just "had the time", you know? The frenetic pace was not yet ingrained into every single part of his show. And it was fabulous!

Frankie Rider, II
Arkansas
USA

Topic author
dennyelvis

Post by dennyelvis »

FrankieRider2 wrote:Well, I too love the 1970 renditions and they are more visual; the August 1970 TTWII versions are my favorites. I think my favorite version that I witnessed was Tuscaloosa 1971. Loved the funky spoken opening and the tempo is near perfect. I can still hear the little cool "hiccup" he did as he transitioned into the first verse. Fabulous! Closest thing I have heard to how it sounded was the bonus take on the FTD An American Trilogy. But that version does not have the monologue.

I think so Frankie, the spoken intro sort of put him in that swamp feel, it held the song tempo back so it could breathe and build a bit, as he went into 72 he seemed to ditch the intro so he could follow a slower song with it, straight into a rocker so to speak ...............

r&b

Post by r&b »

The slower 1970 versions are closer to what Tony Joe White wanted the song to be. I prefer those. I don't like rushed anything by Elvis.

Robert

Post by Robert »

Keep in mind Polk salad slowed down considerably in 1974 but the versions from that year are the least exciting ones imo.
Let's face it, Jerry Scheff made a true difference as the song worked much better again in 1975..

FrankieRider2

Post by FrankieRider2 »

Robert, you make a good point there. The strong bass line had to be there for the song to feel right...

Frankie Rider, II
Arkansas
USA

londonflash

Post by londonflash »

Feb 70 all the way.

The TTWII renditions are pretty good, but I miss Bob Lanning on the drums.

Versions I've heard from 1972 are pretty cool, with Scheff's solo, but as Doc pointed out it had long lost its unique sound and feel.

The later arrangement is pretty atrocious.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Chris Roberts
Registered for: 13 years 4 months

Post by Chris Roberts »

Not buying many shows apart from the mainstream officially released ones, my choice of comparing is limited. I would have to say my favourite is the 1970 On Stage and THWII versions, real swamp rock atmosphere. To a lesser degree I do also enjoy the Madison Square Garden versions, complete with the bass guitar break - real 8)

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

For me, February 1970 is it. It's true to the original and Elvis' version is just plain, fantastic!
However, I do really like the version from March 20, 1974 in Memphis... but it's really a different song by this time... just a real good rockin' tune!
:smt023

Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Does anyone know what Annie did with the Polk Salad she picked a mess of? Did she sell it for medicinal or eating purposes? Because if not cooked properly it can be quite toxic. I think we should be told. Maybe that's why the versions after 1970 were faster because Nancy Rooks wasn't preparing it properly. :wink:

Rob

Post by Rob »

Be nice to Annie. She's had problems that she is getting help for. Her shiftless father was down in the back (or so he said), her brothers weren't worth a damn, mom was part of a chain gang for years and grandma was eaten by an alligator.

For all she's been through, she is still hanging in there.