Who is this lady with Elvis' grandmother?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: Who is this lady with Elvis' grandmother?

Post by drjohncarpenter »

elvisjock wrote:The home movie depicts the Graceland den in its first iteration. Priscilla opens her gifts in front of the south wall, between the side door and the staircase to the roof.

I concur with John that we see Nancy Rooks sitting with Dodger. Again, it's shot in the den, just to the left of the stairs that lead to the basement.

Note the familiar waterfall in the background, as Joe accepts his slab of cake.
Thanks.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

rjm
Registered for: 13 years 1 month

Post by rjm »

I, too, would be interested in the actual book.

The first book depicted, "Shakerag" is an illustrated children's book, written after Guralnick and Dundy, and it is just absolutely wonderful! It has NOTHING to do with "Bobbie Wren," or any such thing, but is a lovely book. It is a fictionalized account of his 'tween years in Tupelo, with illustrations that seem to purposely not look "exactly" like him. I got it for X-mas in '11, and I just LOVE IT! It is quite prophetic of material that came out in the next decade. Great for all ages.

http://www.amazon.com/Shake-Rag-From-Elvis-Presley/dp/039923005X

So, in case anyone was curious about the children's book shown.

rjm

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

rjm

Post by rjm »

SuspiciousMind wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:Actually, Bobbie was bi-racial. Her dad was said to be African-American and met Glady's sister in Florida back in the late 30's and they had an affair and a baby (Bobbie) was the result from it.
Glad you appreciated my input. Where exactly may we learn what you mention here?
There was a book put out years ago, back in the 90's that talked about it. I believe it was called The Real Elvis Presley or Shake Rag or something like that. There's been so many written that I can't keep up with titles of which is which. I do not own the book.
Maybe when or if you find it we can confirm what you wrote. Otherwise it is just unfounded rumour, not fact.
Then explain her African features. The woman is NOT white as say Billy Smith or Patsy Presley was. She is most certainly mixed of some other race. I've seen many different pics of her in different lighting, and she always appears darker than the others in the pics with her, including Elvis.
Oh, that's silly - the part about the "features." Give our president straight blond hair (straightening and a dye-job), and history is changed! LOL! (He's half-white, for what it's worth.)

If someone is of blended ancestry, or whatever you want to call it (because MANY Americans are indeed "blended" without anyone knowing it), it's often impossible to tell by "looking at them."

rjm

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

noone
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by noone »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
egilj wrote:By the the way I quickly scanned the Wren book a couple of months ago visiting a friend of mine, but it didn't get me any closer in dating the meetings.
So Elvis & Bobbie: Memories of Linda Jackson is mostly a photo book, with no real details?
About half of the 38 pages is text, the rest is photos.
If I had known how image Viewer prog. like Highslide Works I would love to scan the book but I just tried it and did not understand how to instal it. It is way to complicated for my comutor skils :cry:

Topic author
SuspiciousMind
Banned - Previously Banned Member Who Returned.
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by SuspiciousMind »

I see nobody still has explained the real logistical reason behind the dark complexion of Bobbie Wren. I guess nobody knows.

Rob

Post by Rob »

Strong tanning beds?

Topic author
SuspiciousMind

Post by SuspiciousMind »

Rob wrote:Strong tanning beds?
Haha, funny.

drjohncarpenter

SuspiciousMind wrote:I see nobody still has explained the real logistical reason behind the dark complexion of Bobbie Wren. I guess nobody knows.
I already did. It's the same "logistical reason behind the dark complexion" of Elvis in that June 1969 photo I posted.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
SuspiciousMind

Post by SuspiciousMind »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:I see nobody still has explained the real logistical reason behind the dark complexion of Bobbie Wren. I guess nobody knows.
I already did. It's the same "logistical reason behind the dark complexion" of Elvis in that June 1969 photo I posted.
Elvis had a tan from being on vacation. Her complexion has nothing to do with being in the sun too long. Just pointing out the facts.

rjm

Post by rjm »

Ok. Now, I have to do it. Can't be helped.

Stop staring at her face! Who gives a flip? IT DON'T MATTER!!! (Does it? Matter to you?)
rjm

Aeschylus

drjohncarpenter

SuspiciousMind wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Elvis had a tan from being on vacation. Her complexion has nothing to do with being in the sun too long. Just pointing out the facts.
Sadly, that's not quite it. And your obsession over such "facts" does nothing for your credibility here.

The bottom line here is your topic query was answered. By me. Nancy Rooks is the lady in the May 24, 1967 home movie footage. Good luck with your other "theories."

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by elvisjock »

Andrew Hearn just posted several photos (on Facebook) of the gravesites of relatives from the Smith side. Bobbie Jane Ayers Wrenn was born on February 18, 1936, and died on December 30, 1976. She is buried at Forest Hill.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

drjohncarpenter

elvisjock wrote:Andrew Hearn just posted several photos (on Facebook) of the gravesites of relatives from the Smith side. Bobbie Jane Ayers Wrenn was born on February 18, 1936, and died on December 30, 1976. She is buried at Forest Hill.
Does Hearn have any info on the lady with Elvis' grandmother, Elvis' cook/maid, Nancy Rooks?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
SuspiciousMind

Post by SuspiciousMind »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisjock wrote:Andrew Hearn just posted several photos (on Facebook) of the gravesites of relatives from the Smith side. Bobbie Jane Ayers Wrenn was born on February 18, 1936, and died on December 30, 1976. She is buried at Forest Hill.
Does Hearn have any info on the lady with Elvis' grandmother, Elvis' cook/maid, Nancy Rooks?
Why would he? Nancy isn't dead yet. But there's no guarantee that the woman in that footage is Nancy Rooks. It's just your assumption that that's who it is. No concrete proof. Which is why I asked the question to begin with and questioned if it was Bobbie Wren.

drjohncarpenter

SuspiciousMind wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Does Hearn have any info on the lady with Elvis' grandmother, Elvis' cook/maid, Nancy Rooks?
Why would he? Nancy isn't dead yet. But there's no guarantee that the woman in that footage is Nancy Rooks. It's just your assumption that that's who it is. No concrete proof.
That reply was tongue-in-cheek.

Anyway, it's Nancy Rooks in the clip. Enjoy.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
SuspiciousMind

Post by SuspiciousMind »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Does Hearn have any info on the lady with Elvis' grandmother, Elvis' cook/maid, Nancy Rooks?
Why would he? Nancy isn't dead yet. But there's no guarantee that the woman in that footage is Nancy Rooks. It's just your assumption that that's who it is. No concrete proof.
That reply was tongue-in-cheek.

Anyway, it's Nancy Rooks in the clip. Enjoy.
It could very well be her, but unless there's substantial evidence, and there's not, then you cannot claim that as fact.

PiersEIN

Post by PiersEIN »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
egilj wrote:Are we sure the last pic is from Stax? The background looks a lot like the upper left photo in the link, only with the doors closed.
How did you get to see so many of Elvis’ performances in Las Vegas?

It just happened that I am a qualified pilot. Elvis’ cousin Bobbie Ayers [sic] was married to a wealthy real estate developer and I was the co-pilot of his Lear jet. So when Elvis would open in Las Vegas I would fly their Lear jet down there and we’d all go and see Elvis’ opening show. We would all sit in the big booth right in the front and we’d end up going back stage after every show for the whole week! We went every time Elvis opened. Since I had played on all the records, and Elvis had known me since I was a kid, we had a natural connection for talking and he’d also like to see Bobbie, so we would just party for the week. That went on once or twice a year for several years. They were the best times.

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/interview_waynejackson.html
In 1994, author Vera Jane Goodwin published her book, Elvis & Bobbie: Memories of Linda Jackson. We see Wren with Elvis on two occasions in Las Vegas, probably February and August 1973.
When I researched these photos for Ernst, Wayne Jackson said the photo of him and Elvis was 1972 Las Vegas, pre STAX.
This was covered somewhere else on FECC,

Cheers,
Piers

drjohncarpenter

Wayne Jackson "was there" but -- as has been proven many times -- memories are not infallible. That photo is most likely from August 1973 in Las Vegas, possibly after opening night.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.