Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis At Stax: 40th Anniversary (3 CD)

Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:23 am

Yeah you'd think the letters of this website, FECC, should be For Elvis Cover Collectors.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:43 am

midnightx wrote:
JEFF d wrote: Still this is the point of doing a release like "Elvis at Stax" so more fans can understand more about the man!

And unfortunately, the majority of people buying this new release are hardcore fans who already have this material on various releases, but who do not have the will-power not to repurchase this material once again because it is housed in new packaging and has remixed outtakes.

...so I'm guessing that you don't have this release then! :D In all honesty I like this release because it has all the Stax masters in one package, I have always thought in hindsight that all these should have just been placed together an made their own couple of albums in the 70s(I thought for years these songs were recorded in Nashville until I got the 70s box set)... I was very surprised that this package had the same type of layout as Prince from Another Planet release. Anyways at the price point they were selling it for in the USA I wanted to check it out.

JEFF d
EP fan

Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:46 am

midnightx wrote:
JEFF d wrote: Still this is the point of doing a release like "Elvis at Stax" so more fans can understand more about the man!

And unfortunately, the majority of people buying this new release are hardcore fans who already have this material on various releases, but who do not have the will-power not to repurchase this material once again because it is housed in new packaging and has remixed outtakes.

I'm pretty sure you bought it ...

Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:13 am

minkahed wrote:
midnightx wrote:

Don't be so sure....

Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:16 am

midnightx wrote:
minkahed wrote:
midnightx wrote:

Don't be so sure....

That's what you want us to believe ... it's all good bro !

Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:18 am

Well I don't know what to do .. do I buy it? It is not even for the $25 ... but it seems like it is the same stuff all over again and it is not like I'm listening to the other stuff every day ...

Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:25 am

I say go for it Francesc! :D

JEFF d
EP fan

Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:34 am

JEFF d wrote:I say go for it Francesc! :D

JEFF d
EP fan

:lol: You are not helping !

You know what I miss? I remember every summer we had a box set that at least were some new things like Close Up, Live In Las Vegas and some others ...

Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:36 am

Francesc wrote:Well I don't know what to do .. do I buy it? It is not even for the $25 ... but it seems like it is the same stuff all over again and it is not like I'm listening to the other stuff every day ...

GO FOR IT !!!

Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:40 am

Francesc wrote:

JEFF d
EP fan

You know what I miss? I remember every summer we had a box set that at least were some new things like Close Up, Live In Las Vegas and some others ...

...you have to go to the "Houston we have a problem" thread for that..... :lol:

JEFF d
EP fan

Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:48 am

Houston, We have a problem is not a box-set but I ordered it. I need it for the website .. :D

Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:07 am

Down here in Memphis for EW and after careful consideration I went ahead and bought this. For me the best part are the masters from 'Promised Land' (which I don't have on CD) and the out takes from 'Good Times' and 'Raised on Rock' that weren't already included on the previous FTD releases (that I already have). I think this is a good release because it does really bring attention to a small period in Elvis' recording history, but from a consumption perspective, it's a teeny bit of overkill. A lot of this stuff has been previously released but the fact that it has been assembled like this is a selling point.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:41 am

midnightx wrote:

That might be semi-true on initial release, but:

a) the outtakes do sound very different, so for people who like the era it's an essential purchase at some point.

b) if only say, 100 people worldwide get into later 1970s Elvis via this release, that's a great thing for them, and for Sony (if those 100 people spend $1000 on Elvis over the next year or so).

c) I think it's inappropriate for you to preach to any fans, young or old, about will-power, when you seem to have none of your own when it comes to compulsively reading and writing about Elvis music and releases that you think are worthless.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:45 am

Francesc wrote:

JEFF d
EP fan

Close Up and Vegas bombed in England, even when CDs were still generally selling well. There were piles of Close Up for sale for £6 each in London overstock shop "Fopp" not that long after it was released.. :cry:

Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:47 am

I am now the proud owner of this cool set; I found it at BEST BUY. Later I will let you know what I think of it but at first opening, I love the packaging and the book. I just could not take it anymore. I had to get it and see how horrible it was for myself and so far I do not think it is a bad thing at all......I'll let you know what I think about the sound at some later date.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:21 am

This release and the fact that fans are liking it, only proves my original point over 10 years ago, that this was the approach that FTD should've taken rather than re-re-re-re release the same album covers again, known as the classic series.

By doing it this way, there is no leftovers, they cover the sessions.

I would have rather FTD had covered sessions rather than albums because RCA's release policy was all over the map during his lifetime.

Back in Memphis and From Elvis in Memphis on FTD are out, and there are leftovers as to where are they going to put those songs.

These kinds of releases takes care of that.

The early Jungle room sessions is a good example of the way it could have been done.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:44 am

ekenee wrote:This release and the fact that fans are liking it, only proves my original point over 10 years ago, that this was the approach that FTD should've taken rather than re-re-re-re release the same album covers again, known as the classic series.

By doing it this way, there is no leftovers, they cover the sessions.

I would have rather FTD had covered sessions rather than albums because RCA's release policy was all over the map during his lifetime.

Back in Memphis and From Elvis in Memphis on FTD are out, and there are leftovers as to where are they going to put those songs.

These kinds of releases takes care of that.

The early Jungle room sessions is a good example of the way it could have been done.

Yes, but in a sense is wonderful to have both approaches. And of course you have a point, as Elvis sessions somehow loose power in the original albums releases (except the too famous ones), and get strong when released as a one package. That happenned for many reasons. The July 73 masters gain when Got A thing about you baby and take good care of her sit in for I Miss You and Are You Sincere. The december masters are consistent enough as a one 18 masters set.

It would be a killer to have the same At Stax kind of release with Memphis 69, Nashville 70, Nashville 71 secular, On Tour (1st cd march sessions plus outtakes, 2nd cd rehearsals, 3rd cd hampton roads), and why not Jungle room sessions.

And let's not forget that the first time such a product was released was in 2000 (TTWII 3 cd set).

At the same time is neat to have a dedicated deluxe edition of Back In Memphis, That's The Way It Is, Elvis Is Back, etc and even of albums such as Elvis, Now, etc.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:20 pm

Francesc wrote:Well I don't know what to do .. do I buy it? It is not even for the $25 ... but it seems like it is the same stuff all over again and it is not like I'm listening to the other stuff every day ...

Pick the set up Francesc!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:51 pm

Check out this well done review from Oven at the Elvis in Norway site

http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/elvisatstaxdeluxe.html

Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:01 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:That´s one of the reasons I bought the Japanese vesion, they came with clear protection sleeves to avoid scratches :wink:.

Your Japanese-made discs will probably last longer too Mike, so I don't blame you for getting them if you can. CD rot for proper factory-pressed CDs is mercifully rare, but it does happen. I've only had several UK CDs & one German made CD do it so far from my (mostly European) CD collection. No Elvis has rotted so far thank goodness! I do wonder sometimes if CDs are decent quality these days as all the high-profile factories from the big-selling golden age of CDs have shut down.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:46 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

King Volcano wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:That´s one of the reasons I bought the Japanese vesion, they came with clear protection sleeves to avoid scratches :wink:.

Your Japanese-made discs will probably last longer too Mike, so I don't blame you for getting them if you can. CD rot for proper factory-pressed CDs is mercifully rare, but it does happen. I've only had several UK CDs & one German made CD do it so far from my (mostly European) CD collection. No Elvis has rotted so far thank goodness! I do wonder sometimes if CDs are decent quality these days as all the high-profile factories from the big-selling golden age of CDs have shut down.

That´s what I meant to say, Japanese always use top quality material (picture quality, impression, paper etc) on their LP/CD releases, I have many cds from Japan and never encountered rot on any of them 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:20 pm

paulsweeney wrote:Check out this well done review from Oven at the Elvis in Norway site

Good gawd the outtakes sound horrendous on Elvis At Stax based on those comparison samples! Especially Promised Land. The FTDs sound mixed, EAS sounds like they just pumped all the faders up, panned them and little else beyond adding some reverb/echo fx. The feeds sound like they're all fighting for the same space.

And did they really utilise the same disc-slot design as Prince From Another Planet? Why repeat the same design flaw twice?

(Sent from my MacBook Pro using Safari... :wink: )

Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:38 pm

ekenee wrote: Back in Memphis and From Elvis in Memphis on FTD are out, and there are leftovers as to where are they going to put those songs.

That shouldn't be a problem at all for the FTD team. It's already been discussed on a few threads here on this forum...
The remainder of the American Sound sessions along with the Change Of Habit songs/sessions ("Rubberneckin" being the common link). :wink:

Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:06 pm

Matthew wrote:
paulsweeney wrote:Check out this well done review from Oven at the Elvis in Norway site

Good gawd the outtakes sound horrendous on Elvis At Stax based on those comparison samples! Especially Promised Land. The FTDs sound mixed, EAS sounds like they just pumped all the faders up, panned them and little else beyond adding some reverb/echo fx. The feeds sound like they're all fighting for the same space.

There's nothing wrong with the outtakes mixing. The mix and overall sound is almost exactly the same as, for example, The Who's 1971 "Who's Next" album. I'm not a huge Who fan, but was conicidentally re-listening to them the same week "Elvis At Stax" was released, for some work I'm doing. The "Who's Next" album is rightly regarded by thousands, if not millions of people as one of the very best albums ever made, and the best editions of its original mix, such as Steve Hoffman's mastering, are cherished by audiophiles as well as Who fans.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:46 pm

Blue River wrote:
ekenee wrote: Back in Memphis and From Elvis in Memphis on FTD are out, and there are leftovers as to where are they going to put those songs.

That shouldn't be a problem at all for the FTD team. It's already been discussed on a few threads here on this forum...
The remainder of the American Sound sessions along with the Change Of Habit songs/sessions ("Rubberneckin" being the common link). :wink:

Putting those songs on "Change of Habit" is not the best solution.
Just because one song was used in the film after the fact.
Maybe FTD utilizing both the sessions and classic albums is the way to go.

I think this 3-disc marketing solution that the main labels has been employing is the best way to do it.

I would love to see the Elvis is back sessions, American Sessions, the Graceland Sessions, and the Sun Sessions
released on the main label with the 8 inch format.

This is a good way the general public can get a good grip on career-spanning unique sessions at an affordable price.

Since they did use a DVD on Prince from another planet, a similair thing could be done with the 1968 TV special audio sessions, plus
a nice DVD with booklet.