Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis At Stax: 40th Anniversary (3 CD)

Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:25 pm

Roger Semon's (and others) comments on 'Elvis At Stax':

http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news/20 ... marketing/

Brian

Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:11 pm

The december 73' sessions is really not "Elvis at Stax" as RCA recorded the sessions with their own mobile truck. They did not use the Stax studio recording equipment. Only the july 73' sessions can truly be called Stax sessions. Felton Jarvis wasen't even in the recording room in december but was in the mobile truck.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:30 pm

Elvis at Stax…….this release takes these tracks to another place…..Opened it today and raised a glass to our boy The sound is truly brilliant thank you Sony. I have nothing but praise for this release. :D

Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:00 pm

Mike DK wrote:The december 73' sessions is really not "Elvis at Stax" as RCA recorded the sessions with their own mobile truck. They did not use the Stax studio recording equipment. Only the july 73' sessions can truly be called Stax sessions. Felton Jarvis wasen't even in the recording room in december but was in the mobile truck.

But Elvis was in the Stax recording studio... not in the mobile truck.

The December '73 sessions really was/is "Elvis at Stax".

Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:07 pm

The more I hear it, the more I like this release

Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:33 pm

frus75 wrote:The more I hear it, the more I like this release

Same here - that's basically everything I have been listening since its release. They have been good in creating a story telling experience around the product.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:36 pm

Fabbe wrote:

Same here - that's basically everything I have been listening since its release. They have been good in creating a story telling experience around the product.

And at the beginning nobody gave credit to this release. Sometimes we fans are so full of ourselves...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:52 pm

...this is a very very good Legacy release for Elvis as far as I'm concerned! I have been listening to this all week!

JEFF d
EP fan

Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:06 pm

Haven't bought this release yet, but I'm listening a lot to it on Spotify ;) It's great!

Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:42 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Just for those who don´t have this set :wink:, several cool RCA documents are included, but there is one interesting RCA document where they remind Elvis about the new contract (7 year contract) signed on March 1st, 1973.

On this document RCA states that beside the regular studio album and 2 singles (4 sides) per year he has to record an extra Godspel album. As we know this was never recorded by Elvis, RCA was trying to make a follow up to the successful Gold Status/Grammy Award Album LSP-4690 He Touched Me 8).

This document was first published on Ernst Jorgensen/Peter Guralnick 1999 Elvis-Day by Day book and included on the new booklet that comes with the 3 cd boxset as well. Hope this is of your interest. Bye for now :smt006.

Booklet included on the 3 cd boxset Elvis At Stax.

Elvis-Day by Day book.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:37 am

I would've liked it a whole lot more if the set included the elusive "We Had It All" snippet. Complete or not.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:17 am

TCB-FAN wrote:

I would've liked it a whole lot more if the set included the elusive "We Had It All" snippet. Complete or not.

Would have been a killer!

EAS - Still a killer though...

Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:53 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

elvis-fan wrote:Hi Mike... When you say the quality material are you referring to the product packaging or is there a difference in the recording quality?

Just the product packing :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

what part of the packing? it looks exactly the same.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:02 pm

Thanks Mr postman,got the box 10 minutes ago.......and love it already :D

Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:03 pm

I played some of this set to friends at work the other nite, (probably about 20 employees and some last customers still hanging around) and people were impressed, really digging some of the tracks like "Promised Land","If You Talk In Your Sleep", "If You Don't Come Back", and the one that I thought was crazy was the reaction, "I Got A Feelin' In My Body" received.

Some of my younger ethnic friends were just getting down to it.

All I ever hear is, "How come we ain't ever heard this stuff from Elvis?"

It's exactly what Roger Semon explained at the "Elvis At Stax" listening party, that this music slipped under the radar, packaged sloppishly and cheaply and never got the recognition some of these tracks rightfully deserved.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:16 pm

lpa wrote:

elvis-fan wrote:Hi Mike... When you say the quality material are you referring to the product packaging or is there a difference in the recording quality?

Differences to USA packing: cds pressed in Japan and protected by clear mini cd sleeves, so no scratches on the cds. Outher protection plastic sleeve to avoid damage on the box, lyrics booklet and cool Japanese OBI :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.
Last edited by Mike Windgren on Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:33 pm

lpa wrote:

Differences to USA packing: cds pressed in Japan and protected by clear mini cd sleeves, so no scratches on the cds. Outher protección plastic sleeve to avoid damage on the box, lyrics booklet and cool Japanese OBI :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

There always nice to have...

Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:33 pm

minkahed wrote:..and the one that I thought was crazy was the reaction, "I Got A Feelin' In My Body" received..

Why were you surprised? That track is infectiously funky and one of the strongest track from the session. It got the reaction it deserved.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:20 pm

I've listened to this all the way through now and think it's fantastic. The sound is very different to what we know, it's a bit shocking at first, but it really kicks ass. Spacious, tough mixes and no horrible noise reduction like Rhythm and Country, which is totally, completely redundant for me now. The Stax classic albums and this release are very different, but all great. A lot of Elvis recordings were adjusted in his lifetime for the mainstream, some for the worst, some for the better, but I think this is a fine release which will hopefully blow away some cynics and create some new fans for his post 1970 studio work, just like how FTD did that for me around 13 years ago with things like The Nashville Marathon and The Jungle Room Sessions. Changed my life, and maybe Elvis' music even helped saved my life sometimes.

Only ciriticisms are the ridiculous tight CD slots, and the price in Europe is gonna put people off. Prince From Another Planet was £15 - £20 at retail, this set is sadly £30 or $55 which is too much in this day and age to tempt more casual people.

I hope for 3CD / 2CD mainstream releases in the same size packaging for A Boy From Tupelo, something like The Nashville Marathon, and something like The Jungle Room Sessions (with Nashville and Jungle mixed like Elvis At Stax).

Thanks Ernst & Roger & co, this is a really fantastic listen.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:37 pm

King Volcano wrote:I've listened to this all the way through now and think it's fantastic. The sound is very different to what we know, it's a bit shocking at first, but it really kicks ass. Spacious, tough mixes and no horrible noise reduction like Rhythm and Country, which is totally, completely redundant for me now. The Stax classic albums and this release are very different, but all great. A lot of Elvis recordings were adjusted in his lifetime for the mainstream, some for the worst, some for the better, but I think this is a fine release which will hopefully blow away some cynics and create some new fans for his post 1970 studio work, just like how FTD did that for me around 13 years ago with things like The Nashville Marathon and The Jungle Room Sessions. Changed my life, and maybe Elvis' music even helped saved my life sometimes.

Only ciriticisms are the ridiculous tight CD slots, and the price in Europe is gonna put people off. Prince From Another Planet was £15 - £20 at retail, this set is sadly £30 or $55 which is too much in this day and age to tempt more casual people.

I hope for 3CD / 2CD mainstream releases in the same size packaging for A Boy From Tupelo, something like The Nashville Marathon, and something like The Jungle Room Sessions (with Nashville and Jungle mixed like Elvis At Stax).

Thanks Ernst & Roger & co, this is a really fantastic listen.

Brilliant post.

I usually transfer the CD on to iPod then play from there in a dock...No need to remove the discs again!! Just an idea.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:09 pm

King Volcano wrote:I've listened to this all the way through now and think it's fantastic. The sound is very different to what we know, it's a bit shocking at first, but it really kicks ass. Spacious, tough mixes and no horrible noise reduction like Rhythm and Country, which is totally, completely redundant for me now. The Stax classic albums and this release are very different, but all great. A lot of Elvis recordings were adjusted in his lifetime for the mainstream, some for the worst, some for the better, but I think this is a fine release which will hopefully blow away some cynics and create some new fans for his post 1970 studio work, just like how FTD did that for me around 13 years ago with things like The Nashville Marathon and The Jungle Room Sessions. Changed my life, and maybe Elvis' music even helped saved my life sometimes.

Thank you for your thoughts on this set 8).

Only ciriticisms are the ridiculous tight CD slots.

That´s one of the reasons I bought the Japanese vesion, they came with clear protection sleeves to avoid scratches :wink:.

I hope for 3CD / 2CD mainstream releases in the same size packaging for A Boy From Tupelo.

Wait for next year 60th Elvis-SUN Anniversay, I am almost sure that this will be re-released with the youtube wire included of I Forgot To Remember To Forget :smt007. Bye for now :smt006.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:44 pm

Its a nice set, it has some clunkers, but also some of his best 1970's work. I just wonder how many units this moved this week in Memphis as compared to the rubber ducks or stuffed hound dogs, or people buying candles for the vigil? What percentage of the people visiting Memphis even know what Stax is? My point is, the average Elvis fan going to Memphis doesn't cares as much about the music they dont know as they do about buying the tacky stuff. I've seen it first hand.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:54 pm

...judging from the listening party audience I would say quite a few EP fans at Elvis week were interested, it looked like there might have not even been enough seats for everyone and some had to stand in the back. Still this is the point of doing a release like "Elvis at Stax" so more fans can understand more about the man!

JEFF d
EP fan

Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:01 pm

Justin wrote:
minkahed wrote:..and the one that I thought was crazy was the reaction, "I Got A Feelin' In My Body" received..

Why were you surprised? That track is infectiously funky and one of the strongest track from the session. It got the reaction it deserved.

Why was I surprised ?

Uh, let's see, most of these people in the room were in their early twenties and are nowhere near proclaimed Elvis Presley fans. Most young people look at Elvis through the eyes of the crooked, puppy eyed media, through a stained glass window.

The song got the reaction it deserved, I stated that already, infectiously funky, yes, more gospel tinged feel and groove realistically, I'm aware of that, but the points I mentioned is what made the experience "surprising", in that the moment was appreciated.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:10 am

JEFF d wrote: Still this is the point of doing a release like "Elvis at Stax" so more fans can understand more about the man!

And unfortunately, the majority of people buying this new release are hardcore fans who already have this material on various releases, but who do not have the will-power not to repurchase this material once again because it is housed in new packaging and has remixed outtakes.